Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Clutch is BA?

Started by Deep Shoat, November 09, 2015, 11:49:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Shoat

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/how-clutch-was-brandon-allen/

• Six touchdown passes were a program single-game record and tied for the second-most by an SEC player in a league contest.
• Allen's 442 yards passing are the second-most in program single-season history and the most by an SEC quarterback this season.
• Threw his third overtime touchdown of the season – most in FBS – and then ran in the game-winning two-point conversion.
• Tossed a pair of fourth quarter touchdowns, including the game-tying score to Dominique Reed with 53 seconds left that led to Arkansas' third overtime game in SEC play this season.
• Also established a new program single-season record with 33 completions, highlighted by starting 9-for-9 along with streaks of seven and six consecutive completions during the game.
• Set career-highs for completions (33), yards (442) and touchdowns (6).
• Made his 30th consecutive start, the most consecutive starts at quarterback in Arkansas' SEC era.
• One of six FBS quarterbacks with 20+ touchdown passes and five or less interceptions ... also accomplished the feat last season.
• Owns the top two passing performances (yards) in the SEC this season.
• Just the second player in program history with two 400-yard passing games in the same season.
• Surpassed Tyler Wilson (52) and Matt Jones (53) for third place in program history with 55 career touchdown passes – just seven away from Ryan Mallett's record of 62.
• Has led Arkansas to three straight games of 50-plus points for the first time since 1916 and the first back-to-back 50-point games in SEC play in program history.
• Arkansas hasn't had a three-and-out in its last 23 possessions with Allen under center.
• Allen has led Arkansas to points in 15 of its last 20 drives, including 14 touchdowns, with him under center.
All Gas, No Brakes!

PonderinHog

Based on this limited amount of information, I'd say he's getting better.

Jackrabbit Hog

Those stats, as a whole, are mind-boggling.  I know Prescott will be the 1st team All-SEC QB at season's end, but BA should get very strong consideration for it and will almost certainly be second team. 

And to think we are a running team that can't pass....
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 09, 2015, 11:51:47 am
Based on this limited amount of information, I'd say he's getting better.
Ya' think?

All Gas, No Brakes!

PonderinHog

supersaint

He's more clutch than a floor pedal that helps you shift gears and something or stuff.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

bigdaddyhawg

Saturday against OM, Brandon Allen scored 100 on the Matt Jones Clutch QB Play Scale, out of a possible 100.

This is the highest score ever on the Matt Jones Scale, beating the previous 99 Brandon Allen scored in this year's game versus Auburn.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

southarkhog06

RP should start BA doesnt have it.

DeltaBoy

TAMU back to last year not so much , Since Auburn lights out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

Through nine games, Brandon Allen has completed 65% of his passes for 2,476 yards, 21 touchdowns vs. 5 interceptions. Allen passed for 2,285 yards and 20 TDs in 13 games last season.
[CENSORED]!

Razorbacker79

This should be a sticky, IMHO.  Very proud of BA!
Turn up that damn jukebox!!

younghog

"Arkansas hasn't had a three-and-out in its last 23 possessions with Allen under center."

Hands down best stat to me..

GO HOGS

GO HOGS

KlubhouseKonnected

The BA we saw Saturday had ice water in his veins. I hope he keeps it going. Our pass catchers all looked super dialed in too.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

younghog

BA is playing the best he has ever played.

His throw down the Seem to Cornelius for a TD was a thing of beauty.. Not once did receivers stop their stride..

I FREAKING LOVE IT

go hogs
GO HOGS

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: younghog on November 09, 2015, 12:13:27 pm
BA is playing the best he has ever played.

His throw down the Seem to Cornelius for a TD was a thing of beauty.. Not once did receivers stop their stride..

I FREAKING LOVE IT

go hogs

Somebody said in another thread that Saturday our passing game looked like Petrino's, and it actually did.  IMO that's a great, great compliment.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

younghog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 09, 2015, 12:15:26 pm
Somebody said in another thread that Saturday our passing game looked like Petrino's, and it actually did.  IMO that's a great, great compliment.

Huge compliment.. I'll take that..

I think the game plan was to Pass more than run.. we did as we should.. GREAT PLAY CALLING ALL AROUND..

They are also trusting the Kicker.. ~who knew..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

JaketheSnake

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 09, 2015, 12:15:26 pm
Nope.  Looked like CBB's and CDE's

The_Iceman

People were laughing and scoffing at the idea that Brandon Allen will get drafted. With his skill set and being a pro-style QB, and looking at QB's that have been drafted in the past in late rounds, I don't see why he won't be.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 09, 2015, 12:20:13 pm
People were laughing and scoffing at the idea that Brandon Allen will get drafted. With his skill set and being a pro-style QB, and looking at QB's that have been drafted in the past in late rounds, I don't see why he won't be.

If he finishes the season playing as well as he did Saturday, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets drafted. Mind you, it probably won't be in the first two rounds but he should get drafted.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jonbo

"Clutchiness" is perhaps his least great attribute. In about anything else you can mention, accuracy, zip, decision making, ellusiveness, BA is a really fine quarterback whom Arkansas'es lucky to have.  (BTW, Bo Mattingly's been pointing this out all season.) Clutchiness, for me the jury's still out, although with his recent stellar play he may have turned the corner on that as well. In his defense, it seems to me that the late game passes he missed on earlier in the season that got everyone so mad at him were the type he has most trouble with. They were touch-type passes like the high lobs that only the tight end can reach. He's just not quite as good at those as he is the deadly accurate bullets. I'll take what he brings Arkansas any Saturday.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jonbo on November 09, 2015, 12:26:26 pm
"Clutchiness" is perhaps his least great attribute. In about anything else you can mention, accuracy, zip, decision making, ellusiveness, BA is a really fine quarterback whom Arkansas'es lucky to have.  (BTW, Bo Mattingly's been pointing this out all season.) Clutchiness, for me the jury's still out, although with his recent stellar play he may have turned the corner on that as well. In his defense, it seems to me that the late game passes he missed on earlier in the season that got everyone so mad at him were the type he has most trouble with. They were touch-type passes like the high lobs that only the tight end can reach. He's just not quite as good at those as he is the deadly accurate bullets. I'll take what he brings Arkansas any Saturday.

Clutchiness, if thats even a real word, is so ill defined and over used by sports fans it is ridiculous. I guess Aaron Rodgers is not clutch anymore, threw a pick late yesterday near the goal line. But I bet 30 out of 32 NFl Gm's would take him in a heartbeat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2015, 12:43:12 pm
Clutchiness, if thats even a real word, is so ill defined and over used by sports fans it is ridiculous. I guess Aaron Rodgers is not clutch anymore, threw a pick late yesterday near the goal line. But I bet 30 out of 32 NFl Gm's would take him in a heartbeat.

Which two would pass on him??   (Okay, Jerrah and his man-crush on Romo, probably would)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 09, 2015, 01:04:14 pm
Which two would pass on him??   (Okay, Jerrah and his man-crush on Romo, probably would)

NE, they seem to like that Brady guy, and the Texans, they only draft DL with their high draft picks.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2015, 12:43:12 pm
"clutchiness" is the ability to make plays when the game is on the line.  when shooting a game of 8 ball, you can sink all the balls on the table, but if you scratch on the eight ball, you failed in "clutch time"

BA has played "clutch" in the last 2 SEC games.  there should be zero doubt about that.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 09, 2015, 01:12:30 pm
"clutchiness" is the ability to make plays when the game is on the line.  when shooting a game of 8 ball, you can sink all the balls on the table, but if you scratch on the eight ball, you failed in "clutch time"

BA has played "clutch" in the last 2 SEC games.  there should be zero doubt about that.

So if you fail in clutch time, you are not clutch? Guess Rodgers and Manning are not clutch then, both failed late yesterday.

PonderinHog

To the point of becoming automatic.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 09, 2015, 12:20:13 pm

Way too slow in decision making, making throws, finding the correct receiver to throw to and doesn't seem to identify def fronts and where his pressure is coming from sometimes.  Phantom pressure appears to get to him some as well.  The NFL happens way too fast for him IMO. 

This is not to take away at all from how well he played Saturday.  He made the plays necessary to win.  Best game I have ever seen him play certainly.  Made some tough throws into windows.  This is the best compliment I think I can pay him right now:  It would be nice if he had another season of eligibility left.  That is not something I would have said after some games earlier this season.  Not that I have anything against him.  He has improved tremendously over his career. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

IronHog

Allen has a low end NFL arm, can move, is good citizen, etc.

His knock the past two seasons has been mental and physical toughness.  He has often folded when things get hard.

When he plays loose and with confidence he's pretty good.....when he plays not to lose it goes bad for him.  Simple as that....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2015, 01:13:57 pm
So if you fail in clutch time, you are not clutch? Guess Rodgers and Manning are not clutch then, both failed late yesterday.
didn't watch the game, but scratching on the 8 or throwing picks with the game on the line is not clutch.

doesn't mean they suck, but it is what it is. 

If you wanted to track how many clutch vs choke plays they made over their careers or season, then you could assess their overall "clutchiness" in an objective manner.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

CareBear

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 09, 2015, 01:12:30 pm

Yessir he has been clutch vs Auburn & Ole Miss. He played great. Maybe he took a shot to the head vs Auburn that flipped a switch. Happy for him & CBB! Having said that I want an actual QB comp this time around. Better for the team & better for recruiting IMO. We cannot work through one player's mental quirks to the detriment of the team this time.  I will support CBB if he continues to embrace progressive play calling, etc. Congrats to the both of them!  :razorback: ::hornsdown:: :)

Großer Kriegschwein

They'll have a competition, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin win it pretty quick.
This is my non-signature signature.

ricepig

Quote from: CareBear on November 09, 2015, 01:26:05 pm
Yessir he has been clutch vs Auburn & Ole Miss. He played great. Maybe he took a shot to the head vs Auburn that flipped a switch. Happy for him & CBB! Having said that I want an actual QB comp this time around. Better for the team & better for recruiting IMO. We cannot work through one player's mental quirks to the detriment of the team this time.  I will support CBB if he continues to embrace progressive play calling, etc. Congrats to the both of them!  :razorback: ::hornsdown:: :)

I'm sure it will make his day knowing you are supporting him, of course, with your caveats.