Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen is our backup punter

Started by trphog, November 09, 2015, 09:23:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trphog

Inhogswetrust

Just made me wonder. Do they still do that Punt, Pass and Kick competition thing?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HogShat

HatfieldEra

Not to hijack the thread, but 87 (Reed) should definitely be on the FG block team either coming from the edge or high jumping from the safety position.  Length, height, and leaping ability.  I'm really surprised we haven't seen that.

Edited:  Meant to say speed, length, and leaping ability.

DoctorSusscrofa

about to start a punter controversy, when BB fails to give the backup any meaningful punts.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

DeltaBoy

UMMM Setting up a trick punt play for the future.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rhames

Pretty sure he has been listed as such sinice the Auburn game.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

tbhogfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2015, 11:36:31 am
Either that or playing mind games with the opposing coaching staff.   You'd need to be prepared for all sorts of things if the other team's #2 QB came into the game as a punter.
Go Hogs!

PorkSoda

Quote from: tbhogfan on November 09, 2015, 01:02:36 pm
Either that or playing mind games with the opposing coaching staff.   You'd need to be prepared for all sorts of things if the other team's #2 QB came into the game as a punter.
no doubt.  didnt see a thread on it, but Smith's little games with the Dline drew a false start and did a pretty good job confusing OM's Oline.  at little gimmicky, but can't knock it if it works.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PORKULATOR

Not so crazy.
Now, if Reed or Duwop line up at punter... Obviously we're faking it.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2015, 11:36:31 am

The problem of course is Austin Allen going onto the field, you might as well announce over the PA system that it is fake coming... or at least that is very possible if it is there... would take a pretty dumb opposing coaching staff to miss it.

supersaint

Doyle Preston
Hog QB turned punter turned baseball player.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

MJ2

Not unusual for a QB to be a punter too.   They're usually one of the best athletes on the team.    Bruce Lahay was a QB.   Brad Taylor was a QB and punter.  Steve Little was a QB in high school.

jseinfeld50

BR Smith Jr was a backup kicker also and later a backup for Chargers.

scorekeeper

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 09, 2015, 01:19:49 pm
no doubt.  didnt see a thread on it, but Smith's little games with the Dline drew a false start and did a pretty good job confusing OM's Oline.  at little gimmicky, but can't knock it if it works.
That was gimmicky?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

a shady hog

Quote from: MJ2 on November 09, 2015, 03:42:49 pm
Not unusual for a QB to be a punter too.   They're usually one of the best athletes on the team.    Bruce Lahay was a QB.   Brad Taylor was a QB and punter.  Steve Little was a QB in high school.

I thought I remember Mallett saying he could punt as well.

ap89

Matt Wait was a high school QB. Great athlete.

PorkSoda

Quote from: scorekeeper on November 09, 2015, 04:59:55 pm
That was gimmicky?
yes, running defense lineman on and off the field one at a time, and having them swap positions constantly, is gimmicky.  but it did work, and disrupted OM's tempo, so I'm not hating.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

lefty08

Quote from: ap89 on November 09, 2015, 05:15:22 pm

He actually was a tailback, but you're right, he was damn good......
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ap89

Re: Austin Allen is our backup punter

« Reply #18 on: Today at 06:27:56 pm »

ReplyQuote

Quote from: ap89 on Today at 05:15:22 pm

thanks lefty..my memory aint so good anymore

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

lefty08

Quote from: ap89 on November 09, 2015, 06:37:48 pm
Re: Austin Allen is our backup punter

« Reply #18 on: Today at 06:27:56 pm »

ReplyQuote

Quote from: ap89 on Today at 05:15:22 pm

thanks lefty..my memory aint so good anymore

No problem, we share an Alma mater, he was 6 years older than me so he was my hero. Haha
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

lefty08

supersaint

I once saw Doyle Preston kick two 70 yard punts in a row. Coach ford called practice after the second one. He was a heck of a qb before tearing his ACL. He averaged 40 + pts in hs hoops and was drafted by the Reds.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

FANONTHEHILL

Austin punted at Fayetteville and was more of a pooch kick punter.  They would break the huddle, line up to run the play then shift to a deep shotgun and pooch kick.   He dropped a ton of balls inside the 15
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Dwyane Wade

I actually asked Austin if he was our legit punter #2 after the Ole Miss game. He laughed and said "Yeah, I can punt it around a bit too." Asked if it was to set up a fake and he said not necessarily, but you never know.