Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry's play more than just luck...

Started by SquidBilly, November 09, 2015, 08:25:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

Hunter Henry and Dan Skipper made a play Saturday that was not a result of coaching, practice, or anything of the sort.  Both obviously have a football IQ that is off the charts and an awareness that is second to none.  Hunter not only made the catch but had the wherewithall not just to heave it up for grabs but rather aim his heave back towards where Collins was standing.  You can see him look over there as he is twisting in the tackle then he heaves it over his shoulder to the spot where Skipper and Collins were standing.  Skipper alertly tips it to Collins who takes off for the first down.  A lot of guys would have tried to come down with that ball but Skipper knew what he needed to do. 

These two deserve accolades from everyone, especially the coaches, for making a very uncommon play happen. 

Hogarusa

Sure, but it was a whole bunch of luck, like 90%.  Not that theres anything wrong with that.  What about the smarts of BA not heaving/forcing it 30 yards down field on 4th and 25, instead dumping the pass to a guy 15 yards short of a first down.  Also smart, but real lucky.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

jry04

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 09, 2015, 08:25:02 am
Hunter Henry and Dan Skipper made a play Saturday that was not a result of coaching, practice, or anything of the sort.  Both obviously have a football IQ that is off the charts and an awareness that is second to none.  Hunter not only made the catch but had the wherewithall not just to heave it up for grabs but rather aim his heave back towards where Collins was standing.  You can see him look over there as he is twisting in the tackle then he heaves it over his shoulder to the spot where Skipper and Collins were standing.  Skipper alertly tips it to Collins who takes off for the first down.  A lot of guys would have tried to come down with that ball but Skipper knew what he needed to do. 

These two deserve accolades from everyone, especially the coaches, for making a very uncommon play happen. 
Great theory, but it was luck. Skipper was trying to keep the OM player from intercepting that heave, not tip it to Collins. Watch the replay and you will see Skipper was looking down field the entire time, and AC was actually behind Skipper. Skipper had no idea Collins was there, and he actually tipped it away from where AC was running. AC stopped, and went back towards the ball and got lucky it bounced straight up so he could catch it in stride. The amount of luck needed on that play is amazing.

Großer Kriegschwein

Next thing the Ole Miss fans will blame is the football for bouncing so perfectly, just at waist level, for Alex to get it with forward motion.

It's the football's fault. Must have been the Hog emblazoned on it. Cause an Ole Miss football wouldn't have bounced that way.
This is my non-signature signature.

SquidBilly

No doubt there was some luck involved but if those two don't make the heads up plays they make then its over.  I think most guys first instinct in that situation would be to try and catch the ball but Skipper did not.  And I do suspect he knew AC was over there even if he wasn't looking at him at the time of the tip.

HogimusMaximus

If it wasn't luck it was glory, will take either.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 09, 2015, 08:28:42 am
Sure, but it was a whole bunch of luck, like 90%.  Not that theres anything wrong with that.  What about the smarts of BA not heaving it 30 yards down field on 4th and 25, instead dumping the pass to a guy 15 yards short of a first down.  Also smart, but real lucky.

I'm kind of shocked about this, but I'm going to agree with you on this.  Except the % I put at 50%, not 90%.

The only really lucky part was that HH's lateral wasn't intercepted and that it bounced right up for AC.

But from that point on was a combination of AC's talent and smarts, knowing where the sticks were, and pure hustle and determination by Drew Morgan and Jeremy Sprinkle to get the necessary blocks to get that first down.

It was a smart decision by BA, a nice throw, a nice catch, a smart play by HH, and the rest was smarts, talent, and effort.

So, now after reconsideration, I'm going to say it was 33.3% luck, and 66.7% smarts, effort, and talent.

Don't you want to reconsider your % now, after all these impeccably described information??
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PonderinHog

Henry's luck is a by-product of his hard work.   :razorback:

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on November 09, 2015, 08:33:55 am

The truth is the Arkansas Razorback football program was WAY overdue for a dose of luck or glory.  I said in another thread we're still WAY behind in the luck category!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hview

Yeah, you can clearly see Hunter look over his shoulder as he heaves it and Skipper tip the ball just above the Old Miss players toward AC. I'm not sure, but I  think Skipper may have also run up field and fallen across Reed to protect the ball. Then you had Morgan, Reed and Sprinkle clearing the way for AC.  Granted there was luck on that play, but you also had this entire group of guys playing their hearts out as a team. Their competitive fire is outstanding. Never Yield!

wholehog92

It was glorious.  I have lost track of how many times I've watched that play now.  I've watched the whole game 3 times.

In my mind Hunter knew the games was over if he's tackled, why not give your guys a 50/50 shot on a lateral to try again.  It was heads up by Skipper to keep it away from the Ol Miss player.  It was a very lucky bounce for AC.  It was hustle and heads up for Reed to be following the play and cover up the loose ball.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 09, 2015, 08:28:42 am
Sure, but it was a whole bunch of luck, like 90%.  Not that theres anything wrong with that.  What about the smarts of BA not heaving/forcing it 30 yards down field on 4th and 25, instead dumping the pass to a guy 15 yards short of a first down.  Also smart, but real lucky.

There is a certain amount of luck on EVERY play. The reason is because there is so many players involved. But as you said there is nothing wrong with that. If there was no luck involved in sports a lot of the time then it would be so predictable it would be boring and nobody would care to watch.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SquidBilly

Also if Skipper tips it forward it possibly gives the ref something to look at in regards to no longer being a lateral.  Lots of good heads up play all combined to make that play happen along with some well deserved luck.

PonderinHog

Quote from: wholehog92 on November 09, 2015, 08:38:46 am
It was glorious.  I have lost track of how many times I've watched that play now.  I've watched the whole game 3 times.

In my mind Hunter knew the games was over if he's tackled, why not give your guys a 50/50 shot on a lateral to try again.  It was heads up by Skipper to keep it away from the Ol Miss player.  It was a very lucky bounce for AC.  It was hustle and heads up for Reed to be following the play and cover up the loose ball.
It's on SECN right now!  OT!

Cinco de Hogo

I'm waiting for an ole miss fan to claim the ball was under inflated.

Darryl Royal said "it's better to be lucky than good".

Hogarusa

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 09, 2015, 08:35:31 am
I'm kind of shocked about this, but I'm going to agree with you on this.  Except the % I put at 50%, not 90%.

The only really lucky part was that HH's lateral wasn't intercepted and that it bounced right up for AC.

But from that point on was a combination of AC's talent and smarts, knowing where the sticks were, and pure hustle and determination by Drew Morgan and Jeremy Sprinkle to get the necessary blocks to get that first down.

It was a smart decision by BA, a nice throw, a nice catch, a smart play by HH, and the rest was smarts, talent, and effort.

So, now after reconsideration, I'm going to say it was 33.3% luck, and 66.7% smarts, effort, and talent.

Don't you want to reconsider your % now, after all these impeccably described information??

I accept that the % of luck was between 33.3%-90%

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 09, 2015, 08:53:08 am
I'm waiting for an ole miss fan to claim the ball was under inflated.

Darryl Royal said "it's better to be lucky than good".

Not a chance since it bounced too high right into the arms of Alex to have been under inflated....................BUT I wouldn't put it past disgruntled rebs to say so!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

And Allen would have spun out of that tackle if not for the facemask.  He shook him off.   :razorback:

Pulled(PP)pork

Skipper tipped it, but it didn't look intentionally in any particular direction

PP

litmachog

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 09, 2015, 08:36:14 am
Henry's luck is a by-product of his hard work.   :razorback:

I've heard many coaches say "you make your own luck". 

This is an example of Hunter, Alex, and Skipper making their own luck.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 09, 2015, 08:55:52 am
I accept that the % of luck was between 33.3%-90%

33% is about right IMHO. Henry knew what he was going to do and he knew where Collins was standing. That wasn't just a wild desperation lateral. The only luck on that play was that Henry had enough arm strength to get the ball to where Collins was standing.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

nchogg

Quote from: wholehog92 on November 09, 2015, 08:38:46 am

This!

welchog

Not to put a bad spin on this, but we were very lucky that AC's lateral (it was not a fumble as he thought we had to score instead of just make a first down) was fielded.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: welchog on November 09, 2015, 09:16:47 am
Not to put a bad spin on this, but we were very lucky that AC's lateral (it was not a fumble as he thought we had to score instead of just make a first down) was fielded.

Yep. That was the third chance for Ole Miss to end the game. Thank God they were stunned after what had just happened. Very heads up play by Reed, AND Skipper for hustling down the field and covering Reed up after he recovered it.

TexHog188

You cannot analyze this play without including the block of Sprinkle to get AC the last 7-8 yds of the run.  He takes on 3 OM players, pushing two of them downfield and shielding the other.  The play falls short without his hustle and grit.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: TexHog188 on November 09, 2015, 09:29:10 am
You cannot analyze this play without including the block of Sprinkle to get AC the last 7-8 yds of the run.  He takes on 3 OM players, pushing two of them downfield and shielding the other.  The play falls short without his hustle and grit.

And, if you notice, I don't know he had any idea that AC was coming up on him.  To me it looked like he was just hustling his butt off, keeping his head down, blocking as many guys as he could.

What a great play!!

Hogarusa

Quote from: welchog on November 09, 2015, 09:16:47 am

Yessir, what a disaster that would have been. I can't imagine what Hogville would be like if a Rebel recovers that, near boneheaded decision

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 09, 2015, 08:35:31 am

Lots of good effort. Lots of luck. We were also lucky that AC's lateral at the end was covered by Reed.

EFBAB

Pig in the Pokey

it was neither. It was THE FOOTBALL GODS, and they REAAAALLLYY wanted Arkansas to win that game...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

NEA_HogFan

I don't believe skipper actually meant to tip it to collins. I think he just tried to knock it away from the defender and it happened to bounce right in front of AC.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 09, 2015, 09:34:15 am
Yessir, what a disaster that would have been. I can't imagine what Hogville would be like if a Rebel recovers that, near boneheaded decision

Yeah, that would have been bad.  About 50% of HV would have been as unhappy and miserable as you.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 09, 2015, 08:30:24 am
Next thing the Ole Miss fans will blame is the football for bouncing so perfectly, just at waist level, for Alex to get it with forward motion.

It's the football's fault. Must have been the Hog emblazoned on it. Cause an Ole Miss football wouldn't have bounced that way.

It was an illegal bounce!  The whistle should have blown and the game ended!

Aporkalypse Now

Of course it was luck, and we'll take it. Similar to Florida's luck when a darned punt bounces of Reggie Fish's head, or any numerous other plays that haven went against us.

Hoggish1

Amen.  Very uncommon!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: carolinahogger on November 09, 2015, 09:57:26 am

I wonder if the football was properly inflated ... maybe OM can have the NFL guys come in and do an investigation of all the footballs to see if any were under-inflated.

Grizzlyfan

I agree Skipper didn't intentionally tip it to Collins, but he did intentionally not catch it.  99 times out of 100 a guy in that position will try to catch it.  And the game probably would have ended.

PonderinHog

Really ???

Großer Kriegschwein

That would have only happened if Collins double dribbled.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 09, 2015, 10:07:44 am
That would have only happened if Collins double dribbled.
He was travelling!   >:(  I saw it!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 09, 2015, 10:10:48 am
He was travelling!   >:(  I saw it!

In before Nice-Guy Eddie says Kelly should have got two free throws.

LRHawg

I see the lucky bounce straight up to Collins as a balancing out of the perfect bounce Ole Miss got at the end of the game against Bama for the winning touchdown. It all comes out even in the end.

razorbacksnum1

HH made an unbelievable play. Think about it...to first catch the ball on 4&25, then to get tackled short of first down, and then to have the composure and strength to toss the ball back to where other players are is just simply remarkable. Mostlateral plays are usually with players lateraling as they are standing up not being tackled fifteen yards in front of teammates. HH is one of the all time special players in Arkansas history.

DeltaBoy

The Oxford Miracle was a moment in a game where grit,heart,determination and an unconoquerable will to win was smiled upon by Lady Luck.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2015, 11:33:21 am
The Oxford Miracle was a moment in a game where grit,heart,determination and an unconoquerable will to win was smiled upon by Lady Luck.

I'll just go with it pretty much bouncing into Alex's hands and him running like he stole a corndog from T-Bob Hebert.

Hogarusa

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 09, 2015, 09:56:27 am
Yeah, that would have been bad.  About 50% of HV would have been as unhappy and miserable as you.

I feel like you've met me and I have never met you.  Strange.  I'm employed, good family, roof over my head, concert life is A+, friend game is strong, recently won a group game of Scattegories, Hogs beat Ole Miss, will soon be walking in Memphis, bought Wreslemania tickets, my fantasy team is 7-2, Larry David is Bernie Sanders, my dogs are happy, saw the Chris Stapleton/JT performance, Star Wars released on my birthday, Adele new music soon, seeing Rise Against and Diana Krall next week.  Life is pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Why you trying to rain on my parade

havok

If the Dork were coaching.. he would have gone on and on about how they "Practiced That play"..and had that in their hip pocket ready for when they needed it..

supersaint

It was guile and skullduggery. He put it in Freeze's face and smeared around in a circular motion.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

PonderinHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2015, 11:33:21 am
Did you just unconoquerable ???

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 09, 2015, 11:57:58 am
I feel like you've met me and I have never met you.  Strange. 

Not strange, just the benefit of years of experience dealing with people, and the wisdom of seeing the truth.

You don't understand this, I know, but I'm actually trying to help you see the negative filter you are seeing things through.  Perhaps you don't see it, perhaps it's intentional. 

And let me get in a pre-emptive response to your next comment:  It really makes no difference if you receive or understand what I'm doing there.  That's okay, too.

downsouthhawg72

Ole Miss had luck to block the Field Goal try to even get it to that henry Toss. So it's luck in every football game & That same luck has not always been on our side....I'm glad it was this game... But Henry made the play even possible to even be considered luck by his quick thinking....
DownSouthHawg