Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry On Allen: "One of the Most Mentally Tough Dudes I've Been Around."

Started by Mike Irwin, November 08, 2015, 06:08:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Brandon Allen's offensive teammates were too busy celebrating to notice that he appeared to be down for the count after running the ball in on a two point conversion to end a wild 53-52 overtime shootout with Ole Miss. As it turned out Allen sustained a helmet blow to his right upper arm as he crossed the goal line which flipped him on his back causing his own helmet to slam into the turf. After some anxious moments Allen was pulled to his feet and carried off the field by teammates Mitch Loewen and Deatrich Wise.

"You're laying down in the endzone," a reporter quizzed Allen later in the post game press conference. "Do you hear everything going on? Were you completely there right then?"

"Yeah, I was coming back," Allen grinned. "I was there. Just a little bit of a head ringer but it was all fine."
----------------
To read more:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/henry-on-allen-one-of-the-most-mentally-tough-dudes-ive-been-around

Duke of Swine

I didn't think he was a clutch player, but there are so many variables that determine "clutch" -- one thing I know about him now - he is a true competitor and is doing everything in his power to win - you can't ask for more.....  his team, HIS team plays their heart out for him ...... that is a true leader

DeltaBoy

The light came on after the Auburn win and he been on fire every since.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfanfish

I think  it says a lot about his leadership that two Defensive Linemen carried him off the field.

JayBell

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 08, 2015, 07:48:50 pmThe light came on after the Auburn win and he been on fire every since.

The light was on before that.  His QBR in the first three quarters was like 190+ through the first half of the season or so.  It dropped to 105 or so in the fourth quarter, but it was still good.

He's just taken it to another level since then.  I said on Saturday and I still believe to be true, Arkansas fans were insanely dumb to constantly blame Allen for losses earlier in the season when he's probably been the best player on the team all year.

DeltaBoy

We were a little hard on him but even members of the State Media started wondering if he had topped out in his development.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

doc53

Auburn game was the breakthru...he is now a clutch player. Good for him!
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

longpig

BA's development with Chaney appeared to stagnate, he's really come on fast with Enos. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

PossumFan

Since the start of the season, I've defended BA so much on here that I've been "accused" of being a member of his family! Glad to see him performing great late in games now and almost everyone getting behind the kid. Not only is he a really good QB, he represents Arkansas in a first-class way. Couldn't ask for more than he's giving.

HSVhogfan2

"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Hogarusa

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 08, 2015, 07:48:50 pm
The light came on after the Auburn win and he been on fire every since.

this more refers to the anti BA crowd over BA.  Dude has been ballin much longer than 3 weeks ago.  That's a disservice to his 30+ starts
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogsanity

For anyone who does not think the players read and hear what people are saying, at least tow of them talked about all the stuff that had been said and written about BA, so they do see it and hear it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

Well, considering the massive criticism BA has consistently received over the last 2 season, he'd have to be mentally tough.  And he's improved during the barrage of criticism too.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hoghevn

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2015, 10:53:28 am
We were a little hard on him but even members of the State Media started wondering if he had topped out in his development.

You're so right.  The media wasn't friendly.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

gmarv

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on November 10, 2015, 12:41:36 pm
Define "clutch" player? Is that sort of like a "game face"?
its the opposite of what a lot of people were accusing ba of being earlier n the year.i,m just so glad to see him playing even better now.

TDHawgs

Mike Irwin was 100% correct with his comment after the Auburn game. Saying that the game couldn't have worked out better for Brandon Allen's confidence, and that it was a good thing it went into overtime like it did so he could lead the team to a big win in a big time moment.  Because he's at a whole new level right now than at the beginning of the year.

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TDHawgs on November 10, 2015, 12:56:03 pm
Mike Irwin was 100% correct with his comment after the Auburn game. Saying that the game couldn't have worked out better for Brandon Allen's confidence, and that it was a good thing it went into overtime like it did so he could lead the team to a big win in a big time moment.  Because he's at a whole new level right now than at the beginning of the year.

Not that it's a bad thing but baby steps. Do it at home and then go do it on the road.

I couldn't be happier for Brandon. He has led that team through one of the leanest periods in Razorback football history and deserves respect.
This is my non-signature signature.

phadedhawg

It was great seeing him carried off the field.  He'll prolly remember that for the rest of his life.  I know I will remember his performance that long

JayBell

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 10, 2015, 12:45:14 pmthis more refers to the anti BA crowd over BA.  Dude has been ballin much longer than 3 weeks ago.  That's a disservice to his 30+ starts

This ^

Allen had his struggles, especially in the fourth quarter, but he was always the team's best option.  He battled through adversity from outside of the program, within the fan base and even injuries in his own body.  He's had great games in each of the last two seasons, but he's steadily gotten better.

Even after he came out guns blazin' this season, fans still wanted to heap blame and criticism on the guy.  It was just ridiculous when in games like Toledo and A&M, BA wasn't just the best player on offense for Arkansas, he was the best player on the field.

JayBell

It peaked after the A&M game.  A friend of mine posted on Facebook something to the effect of, "I'd rather have a guy for 1-for-31 and win in the clutch than 20-for-25 (which is what BA did) and still lose."  I was dumbfounded by the level of stupidity in that statement.

Allen was 20-for-23 in that game before the last two throws in overtime.  You're not in that game if the goes QB for 1-for-31, or anywhere close to that bad.  BA knew himself and the team struggled in the fourth quarter and he went out every game trying his damndest to make sure it wasn't close late in the game.

Luckily, for both himself and the fan base, he and the team have been able to win some close ones lately to get on a roll.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 10, 2015, 01:00:38 pm
Not that it's a bad thing but baby steps. Do it at home and then go do it on the road.

I couldn't be happier for Brandon. He has led that team through one of the leanest periods in Razorback football history and deserves respect.

Yes, everyone wants a coach who "does more with less" but BA has done that perhaps better than any other QB in Razorback history. He has not had multiple SEC WRs on the field at the same time until the Auburn game. He has probably made 4 really bad throws all year. He has had to play in an offense, that until Enos, was very basic as far as route combinations go. He has played behind an Oline that is very poor on pass blocking.

No way am I comparing BA, talent wise to Mallet, but if Ryan had played behind this line, be it because of protection schemes or talent, he would not have made it till mid season. BA constantly makes this line look good because of his escapability.

He should go down as one of the great AR players of all time. He will not, because of his record, though.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hoghearted

really happy for BA, and the team. They have 'exorcised their demons' these last couple weeks.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle