Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OL Play Last Night

Started by bigdaddyhawg, November 08, 2015, 11:19:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

If I'm reading the stat line correctly, our OL only gave up one sack last night against a very highly rated DL.  Granted, one sack was overturned on that facemask, but who's to say BA wouldn't have escaped that tackle??

After all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how "BA NEVER has any time to throw", or "BA is always running for his life", I thought a shout out to our OL's performance was in order.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 08, 2015, 11:19:45 am
If I'm reading the stat line correctly, our OL only gave up one sack last night against a very highly rated DL.  Granted, one sack was overturned on that facemask, but who's to say BA wouldn't have escaped that tackle??

After all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how "BA NEVER has any time to throw", or "BA is always running for his life", I thought a shout out to our OL's performance was in order.

Very much deserved!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Tied for 9th in the country in Sacks Allowed at an average of 1 per game and additionally, ranked #6 in the country in fewest Tackles For Loss Allowed with only 3.9 per game.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Arkansas has a very good pass blocking OL.  They'd be elite with a true left OT.

Unfortunately to build that they gave up some in the run game......  probably a good move long term 👍
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 08, 2015, 12:48:04 pm
Tied for 9th in the country in Sacks Allowed at an average of 1 per game and additionally, ranked #6 in the country in fewest Tackles For Loss Allowed with only 3.9 per game.

I know we expected them to bulldoze folks and allow us to run for 400 and such, but the results you point out there are very, very good.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Not to quibble, but the facemask wasn't the sack in question, he was actually past the line of scrimmage running for the goal line on that one.  The actual sack in question was way back in the first quarter when they sent the kitchen sink at us and we were outnumbered at least by 2 or 3 around the line.

But that being said, I agree with sentiment of your post.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on November 08, 2015, 01:21:11 pm
Not to quibble, but the facemask wasn't the sack in question, he was actually past the line of scrimmage running for the goal line on that one.  The actual sack in question was way back in the first quarter when they sent the kitchen sink at us and we were outnumbered at least by 2 or 3 around the line.

I understand, the face mask penalty wiped out a sack, was what I was saying.

Considering the attention that DL has received this year, especially Dkemdiche (sp?), I believe our OL did freaking awesome!!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 08, 2015, 12:48:04 pm

And there will be folks who will say "well, we're just a run, run, run team", so that stat is misleading.  Welp, we throw the ball damn near 40 times a game if my math is correct....so I'd say that qualifies quite well.

Hogs run wild

the sack on the 2-point conversion?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

hawginbigd1

I agree they deserve props for their performance, but your post hints to me that they were somehow treated unfairly for their early season performance! I do not agree with that, they were bad in the early season!

The whole offense needs congrats for last night all the way to the coaches, but The hero to me is Brandon "freaking" Allen!!!! I have been very critical, but the last 3 games he has been as advertised and then some WPS!

reddogjcss

O played great, line and every O player. D was in right place most of the time but poor tackling. I figure D will be working on tackling this week.
AGAIN D WAS IN RIGHT PLACE MOST OF THE TIME AND THAT IN ITS SELF IS HUGE.

Dominicanhog

though we were under our average in rushing last night, we started to get it going late, but were behind and had to keep throwing.. people still stack the box on us.. if we continue like we have been for the last month, they'll start using the nickle against us and we'll be more balanced... Enos has shown the ability to adapt...

Chief Mac

Quote from: LZH on November 08, 2015, 01:26:14 pm
And there will be folks who will say "well, we're just a run, run, run team", so that stat is misleading.  Welp, we throw the ball damn near 40 times a game if my math is correct....so I'd say that qualifies quite well.

Bigbadhog will tell you that Bielema's offense is the second coming of Hatfield or Hootie's
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 08, 2015, 03:26:31 pm
I agree they deserve props for their performance, but your post hints to me that they were somehow treated unfairly for their early season performance! I do not agree with that, they were bad in the early season!

The whole offense needs congrats for last night all the way to the coaches, but The hero to me is Brandon "freaking" Allen!!!! I have been very critical, but the last 3 games he has been as advertised and then some WPS!

I lost count at about 100 different posts that derided the pass protection BA was getting, in an attempt to make excuses for his play.

That was mainly last year, though.

Just felt like the OL needed to get theirs, too!

passinghog

Probably the best pass blocked game we've had this decade, at least, IMO.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Showtimehog on November 08, 2015, 04:21:18 pm
Probably the best pass blocked game we've had this decade, at least, IMO.
Big leap there, maybe correct though! They were good, I think they were better than the RBs showed, seem to be several holes missed.

HSVhogfan2

How many games do you go to vs watch on TV?

BAs escapability is HIGHLY underrated. He has to run for his life or takes a hit on many patterns that are slow to develop. They rolled him out much more last night than usual which was good. The Oline is still not a good pass protecting team as far as giving a guy a good pocket to throw from. I got several texts from friends about the pass that BA threw ar Sprinkles feet when he was open. They could see the defender about to bury him.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hoggusamoungus

There was a sack around mid-field on the first possession and then BA was stripped and recovered the fumble prior to the lateral play.  Don't know if that counts as a sack but we lost 10 yards on the play.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 08, 2015, 03:48:50 pm
Bigbadhog will tell you that Bielema's offense is the second coming of Hatfield or Hootie's

Best offensive game plan at AR since the 2010 LSU game for sure, IMO.

Reed is a difference maker. He has a knack to get to an empty spot when BA is scrambling.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 08, 2015, 04:59:53 pm
There was a sack around mid-field on the first possession and then BA was stripped and recovered the fumble prior to the lateral play.  Don't know if that counts as a sack but we lost 10 yards on the play.

Nope. Fumble and recovery.
This is my non-signature signature.

longtimeHogfan

We're going to need the ball to bounce our way again before the season ends....I hope we didn't use up our entire quota in Oxford. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 08, 2015, 05:01:12 pm
Nope. Fumble and recovery.

Thanks.  Same impact as a sack but recorded as a fumble.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 08, 2015, 05:02:35 pm
Thanks.  Same impact as a sack but recorded as a fumble.

Yep.

Not being a homer, just answering.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 08, 2015, 05:02:23 pm
We're going to need the ball to bounce our way again before the season ends....I hope we didn't use up our entire quota in Oxford. 

No way!!  "Chance" still owes us another couple of dozen breaks, no question!!

Medic821

How long till we get a complete game from both sides of the ball??????

RussVegas Hawg

He was definitely not past the LOS on the face mask.

Großer Kriegschwein

Nope, at least 5 yards behind it. Maybe 7.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 08, 2015, 04:59:53 pm

We lost yardage, but BA had the presence of mind to tap it back toward himself(it was headed into the hands of the OM player who stripped it) and just fall on it, to keep us in the game.

There were so many gutsy plays by our guys toward the end, from start to finish, in a hostile environment, against a top-ranked SEC team - and this after having suffered 2 awful losses and 1 heart-breaker early in the season, that would have demoralized most teams.  The batted lateral by Skipper, the block by Sprinkle, the hole BA had to launch himself through into the end zone on the 2 point conversion.

This is NOT the same team we saw earlier this year, especially the O-line, TE's and WR's who are now playing smart and with heart - finishing each play and blocking the hell out of the opponents.  BB, the assistants and these kids deserve MAJOR props for turning this thing around.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

The Pocahontas Porker

The facemask on BA happened on the 14 yard line . The play started on the 3....  I have watched the replay several times. When the ole piss player grabbed Brandons facemask --he actually pulled Brandon toward him. The facemask was very blatant .
The Pitt Boss ,  The Muss Bus , The DVH Wagon . Coach Diefel , Coach Taylor , Coach Wieber an Coach McMakin life is great on the hill .

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Pocahontas Porker on November 08, 2015, 07:29:02 pm
The facemask on BA happened on the 14 yard line . The play started on the 3....  I have watched the replay several times. When the ole piss player grabbed Brandons facemask --he actually pulled Brandon toward him. The facemask was very blatant .

I guess that's why the official threw his flag and called the penalty.

It's a good thing for the Hogs you can't review that call -- I'm sure the replay booth would have found a way to overturn it if they'd only had a chance!!

IronHog

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on November 08, 2015, 04:58:11 pm
How many games do you go to vs watch on TV?

BAs escapability is HIGHLY underrated. He has to run for his life or takes a hit on many patterns that are slow to develop. They rolled him out much more last night than usual which was good. The Oline is still not a good pass protecting team as far as giving a guy a good pocket to throw from. I got several texts from friends about the pass that BA threw ar Sprinkles feet when he was open. They could see the defender about to bury him.

Not many perfect pockets in big time SEC games.  BA has better protection than most QBs.

Go watch Bamas battered QB stand tall and throw a strike with Wise coming free in the same game.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hawgmasta

Mad props to the big fellas sitting in the front row.

bigdaddyhawg

Upon further review -- that facemask penalty wiped out sack would not have been on the OL, but rather on the RB, who was supposed to make sure that guy wasn't coming before he released.

To be fair to AC (I think it was AC), that OM player played that really, really well.  He hesitated his rush until AC bumped and went by, then he went in.  Great play actually.  Too bad for him he had to grab BA's facemask.

But awesome for us!!

Rocky&Boarwinkle

I stand corrected on the 2 point facemask.  Not sure how they mark it if it is a designed quarterback option, but that one was not marked as a sack because of the penalty and as the others already said about the recovered fumble.  I was just pointing out that the sack that did get recorded was from the first quarter and the other ones for whatever reason were not recorded as a sack.  Big daddy seemed to think originally that the sack that was recorded was from the 2 point conversion, I was just pointing out that it was from the first quarter actually.

Either way, the protection was pretty darn good.