Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Hog Matt Jones talks Bielema, BA, career and more

Started by Jason Carroll, November 04, 2015, 10:29:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on November 05, 2015, 07:17:06 pm
well if that is true he is one of the dumbest people to walk the Earth.  I'm bored with playing receiver so I quit the NFL and making all this money.
From what I'm told money is not a big deal to him. He didn't like what he was doing. He's back in Arkansas and is apparently quite content with who he is and what he's doing now. I don't have the slightest problem with that. It's his life.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 05, 2015, 10:43:51 pm
From what I'm told money is not a big deal to him. He didn't like what he was doing. He's back in Arkansas and is apparently quite content with who he is and what he's doing now. I don't have the slightest problem with that. It's his life.

And from listening to him on the video clip he seems to be doing quite well.  Glad for Matt!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

onebadrubi

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 05, 2015, 12:46:27 pm
This is a funny statement and one that has been dangled out there by Matt to try and "fix" his image on the radio, but it is simply not true.

Boring was not the reason - the real reason was that he was out of shape and lazy after he was cut by Jacksonville (See Cincinnati Bengal's tryout where they quote exactly that). Quit propping this guy up on a pedestal while at the same time trying to dig a grave for Ryan Mallett. At least Ryan was not arrested twice.  And he doesn't have an alternate personality named "Rodney"......

Please, I beg of you to find where I've attempted to dig a grave for Mallett?  I haven't said anything bad about Mallett and still support him and hope he has chances. 

By the way, your agenda is rearing it'd head, you obviously have a bias to your opinion between the two.  Because anyone that didn't would not bring arrest or off the field issues up defending Mallett against jones. 

Aporkalypse Now

You guys comparing Matt Jones to Cam Newton, Imagine if Matt had had Cam's drive.

Or imagine this, imagine Tim Tebow with Matt Jones talent, how many Super Bowls would dude have won already??

hawgXi

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 06, 2015, 08:41:45 am
You guys comparing Matt Jones to Cam Newton, Imagine if Matt had had Cam's drive.

Or imagine this, imagine Tim Tebow with Matt Jones talent, how many Super Bowls would dude have won already??

nailed it

younghog

Quote from: lefty08 on November 05, 2015, 06:33:24 pm
Had he gotten his arm fixed it would have required him to practice as much as everyone else. That wouldn't have been fair so he didn't get it repaired

CLASSIC
GO HOGS

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: younghog on November 06, 2015, 11:28:23 am
CLASSIC
if you listen to the interview linked above they did look into getting it done while he was playing here.  IN the interview he says that they said with the surgery there was only a 20% chance that he would be able to really throw again, so he decided not to get the surgery done. 

younghog

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on November 06, 2015, 11:57:38 am
if you listen to the interview linked above they did look into getting it done while he was playing here.  IN the interview he says that they said with the surgery there was only a 20% chance that he would be able to really throw again, so he decided not to get the surgery done. 

Saw all of that..

However the amount of effort to work to him was not worth the reward with 20% chance of being able to perform at a position he coveted.

Oh would many take a 1% chance for what he was doing..

~GO HOGS
GO HOGS

hoglady

Well - all you can say is both ex Hog QB's cratered their NFL careers for differing reasons.
One because he just didn't really give a crap about it.
The other because he wants it so bad / he's too immature to act like a professional when things don't go his way.
Neither make for stellar teammates.

Mallett may still have a shot - hope like heck the light comes on.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoghearted

Quote from: hoglady on November 06, 2015, 01:36:54 pm
Well - all you can say is both ex Hog QB's cratered their NFL careers for differing reasons.
One because he just didn't really give a crap about it.
The other because he wants it so bad / he's too immature to act like a professional when things don't go his way.
Neither make for stellar teammates.

Mallett may still have a shot - hope like heck the light comes on.

Great post.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WizardofhOgZ

November 06, 2015, 03:15:26 pm #60 Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:57:51 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: EastexHawg on November 05, 2015, 09:52:09 am
Jones was 6'6" and weighed 237 pounds by his senior year.  Newton has a stronger arm, but he had nowhere near Jones' speed or open field running ability.  Jones wasn't just fast, he had great field vision and could cut on a dime.  He was a much larger and probably even faster Fred Talley, meaning once he got into the secondary you could put your hands straight up over your head because it was a touchdown.

Think Vince Young.  Young was a poor man's Matt Jones.  Put Jones in Young's offense at Texas...or even at Arkansas...and he would have been a Heisman contender.  Instead, Nutt managed to get him about 50-60 designed runs per year and another 30-35 ad lib runs on scrambles.

Some of us tried to tell everyone for years that Nutt was a moron and that Arkansas could do much better.  His failure to capitalize on Matt Jones' abilities is yet another example of his lack of brain power and coaching ability.

Agree with all of the above - which should not surprise anyone who has seen my several posts on Matt over the years.  In many of those, I've also made comments like "Matt Jones is what Vince Young wants to be when he grows up".   

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 05, 2015, 09:12:16 am
Matt Jones is the most dynamic offensive player I have ever seen at Arkansas and it's really not close.  And yes, I saw every play of Darren McFadden's career.  I saw Joe Ferguson, Jerry Eckwood (who would have been a truly great one), Dickey Morton (underrated), Quinn Grovey, and Madre Hill, too.

Also agree wholeheartedly.  The way I have put it - and this started during November of his freshman season - he is the best offensive PLAY MAKER we have ever had.  Period.  Some may argue about where he stands among the best overall FOOTBALL PLAYERS, and I understand the distinction.  But when he lined up behind the center, ANYTHING was possible. I couldn't wait to watch HIM play each game.  Even in some of our most inglorious losses, Matt often gave us a "did you see THAT" moment. 

And he was solely responsible for many games we did win during his tenure.  Some folks will quickly bring up the fumble in the 2004 Texas game and blame him for the loss; my counterpoint is that if we didn't have #9 taking snaps, we'd never have been close enough for the fumble to matter. 

It's a shame that David Lee dogged him into throwing too much, too soon when he came in for spring ball after playing Hoops with Nolan his first year on campus.  That's what led to his shoulder problems, and robbed us of seeing just how spectacular he may have been with a healthy right arm.  I remember him winning the "longest throw" at two High School camps the summer before he signed with us; at both, he threw the football more than 70 yards!  So, he absolutely had the arm strength before the injury.  Even with the damaged shoulder, his passing numbers were much better than most fans give him credit for.  But what might they have been had he been healthy and made the normal progressions that superior athletes typically make over the course of a college career?

We'll never know.  But what he left us with was spectacular in it's own right. 

hawgXi

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on November 06, 2015, 03:15:26 pm
Agree with all of the above - which should not surprise anyone who has seen my several posts on Matt over the years.  In many of those, I've also made comments like "Vince Young is what Matt Jones wants to be when he grows up".   

Also agree wholeheartedly.  The way I have put it - and this started during November of his freshman season - he is the best offensive PLAY MAKER we have ever had.  Period.  Some may argue about where he stands among the best overall FOOTBALL PLAYERS, and I understand the distinction.  But when he lined up behind the center, ANYTHING was possible. I couldn't wait to watch HIM play each game.  Even in some of our most inglorious losses, Matt often gave us a "did you see THAT" moment. 

And he was solely responsible for many games we did win during his tenure.  Some folks will quickly bring up the fumble in the 2004 Texas game and blame him for the loss; my counterpoint is that if we didn't have #9 taking snaps, we'd never have been close enough for the fumble to matter. 

It's a shame that David Lee dogged him into throwing too much, too soon when he came in for spring ball after playing Hoops with Nolan his first year on campus.  That's what led to his shoulder problems, and robbed us of seeing just how spectacular he may have been with a healthy right arm.  I remember him winning the "longest throw" at two High School camps the summer before he signed with us; at both, he threw the football more than 70 yards!  So, he absolutely had the arm strength before the injury.  Even with the damaged shoulder, his passing numbers were much better than most fans give him credit for.  But what might they have been had he been healthy and made the normal progressions that superior athletes typically make over the course of a college career?

well put Wiz

TrueBlue

Agree with all of the above - which should not surprise anyone who has seen my several posts on Matt over the years.  In many of those, I've also made comments like "Matt Jones is what Vince Young wants to be when he grows up".   

Damn! What a man-crush! Are you Jared Hicks?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3481361

WizardofhOgZ

November 06, 2015, 04:33:53 pm #63 Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:29:29 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: TrueBlue on November 06, 2015, 04:21:26 pm
Damn! What a man-crush! Are you Jared Hicks?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3481361

::)

What does one have to do with the other?

I get so tired of this discussion/conversation.  I don't, and have never, defended what some guys do off the field - from hitting women, to committing crimes, doing drugs, etc.   I DO look at each of those things on a case-by-case basis, by the way. 

But one is ON the field, one is OFF.  It's not hard for me to separate what I see and enjoy in the ON the field environment from the transgressions off of it.  I never said Matt - or any of the athletes we all follow so closely - are necessarily model citizens as well (though, for the record, many of them are).  My comments and fascination are about what I DO know; and that is what I have seen on the football field. 

I don't pretend to know Matt or anyone else.  And, if I did, it still wouldn't affect what I thought of their performance in their respective sports.

Oranges and Apples.

The fact remains that Matt is our best play-maker EVER.  It would still be true if he walked around in pink hot pants and high heels all the time.  Same with the activity you linked to.  Neither are things I personally enjoy, appreciate or endorse.  But neither do any of them change the athletic feats I have witnessed and been thrilled by.

TrueBlue

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on November 06, 2015, 04:33:53 pm
::)

What does one have to do with the other?

I get so tired of this discussion/conversation.  I don't, and have never, defended what some guys do off the field - from hitting women, to committing crimes, doing drugs, etc.   I DO look at each of those things on a case-by-case basis, by the way. 

But one is ON the field, one is OFF.  It's not hard for me to separate what I see and enjoy in the ON the field environment from the transgressions off of it.  I never said Matt - or any of the athletes we all follow so closely - are necessarily model citizens as well (though, for the record, many of them are).  My comments and fascination are about what I DO know; and that is what I have seen on the football field. 

I don't pretend to know Matt or anyone else.  And, if I did, it still wouldn't affect what I thought of their performance in their respective sports.

Oranges and Apples.

The fact remains that Matt is our best play-maker EVER.  It would still be true if he walked around in pink hot pants and high heels all the time.  Same with the activity you linked to.  Neither are things I personally enjoy, appreciate or endorse.  But neither to any of them change the athletic feats I have witnessed and been thrilled by.

On the field, huh?

So his piss-poor work ethic in practice and on the field in the NFL doesn't help you question his commitment? I also GET TIRED of someone that has been given a God-given talent apply themselves half-arse, not care, make our university look bad, and to throw away millions of dollars when some of us would kill for the chance.

If you want to worship him, that is your choice. You said you were thrilled every time he stepped on the field, I believe you forget some of the bone-headed plays he made also. The Texas game comes to my mind when we had that game won......

Best play maker ever? Not a chance and not even close.

jkstock04

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 06, 2015, 05:18:23 pm
On the field, huh?

So his piss-poor work ethic in practice and on the field in the NFL doesn't help you question his commitment? I also GET TIRED of someone that has been given a God-given talent apply themselves half-arse, not care, make our university look bad, and to throw away millions of dollars when some of us would kill for the chance.

If you want to worship him, that is your choice. You said you were thrilled every time he stepped on the field, I believe you forget some of the bone-headed plays he made also. The Texas game comes to my mind when we had that game won......

I quit being a Matt Jones fan with his lackadaisical/uncaring comments the week leading up to that Texas game. I wasn't surprised with his game ending fumble.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Athog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 05, 2015, 09:32:33 am
But to be fair, Jones never dreamed of having the kind of canon arm that Newton was blessed with.

Or his accuracy. Great runner...no passing threat consistency. Great to watch in college.

Jonbo

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on November 06, 2015, 11:57:38 am

Naw, he was goldbrickin'! LOL

EastexHawg

November 06, 2015, 09:10:44 pm #68 Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:32:30 pm by EastexHawg
Matt Jones was apparently the greatest athlete of all time.  His feat of not only producing more yards and touchdowns than any player in Arkansas' 122 year football history...but also being the best football player in the SEC during his junior and senior years, as Ron Zook said...and being the MVP of the SEC, as Lou Holtz said...and single handedly winning more games than anyone in the SEC, as Nick Saban said...all while not caring and not even trying makes Jim Thorpe winning the decathlon and pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics look like little Jimmy Dixon finishing second in the softball throw at the DeQueen Elementary 5th grade field day.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 06, 2015, 09:10:44 pm
Matt Jones was apparently the greatest athlete of all time.  His feat of not only producing more yards and touchdowns than any player in Arkansas' 122 year football history...but also being the best football player in the SEC during his junior and senior years, as Ron Zook said...and being the MVP of the SEC, as Lou Holtz said...and single handedly winning more games than anyone in the SEC, as Nick Saban said...all while not caring and not even trying makes Jim Thorpe winning the decathlon and pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics look like little Jimmy Dixon finishing second in the softball throw at the DeQueen Elementary 5th grade field day.

Never saw Jm Thorpe play(I'm not quite that old) but MJ is the most exciting player I have seen in my lifetime.  I think he would have compared very well with Thorpe if he had the drive Thorpe had.  Because he didn't his name will not be in the history books.

Pig In The City

Jones was a good athlete but great athletes are a mix of talent and commitment to the craft. Jones was talent squandered. Many kids coming out of Arkansas are not prepared for the world and the competition that comes with it. I think CBB will close this gap and show players that nothing is given.

WizardofhOgZ

On the field, huh?

On the field during games.  I really don't care so much what he does in between games; how do most fans know what ANYONE does beyond what we see with our own eyes during the games?

In my "perfect world", would I have him be the example at practice, a hard worker at all times, etc.?  Sure.  But what I care most about as a fan is that they produce "when the lights go on".  I have a feeling you, I and many others would be sorely disappointed if we knew more about the practice, study and personal habits of some of our favorite players over the years.  They aren't all Boy Scouts.

If that's a turn-off for you, I respect your right to feel that way.  But it doesn't affect my enjoyment (to an extent; if the transgression is serious enough - like this Hardy fool with the Cowboys - that's a different thing altogether).  But being a somewhat typically knuckleheaded 20 year old doesn't keep me from enjoying their talents. 

As I said in my first post in this thread:

Some folks will quickly bring up the fumble in the 2004 Texas game and blame him for the loss; my counterpoint is that if we didn't have #9 taking snaps, we'd never have been close enough for the fumble to matter.   

I'm not sure you understand what the term means.  Whether you LIKE someone or not has NOTHING to do with their play-making ability.  For you to say "not a chance and not close" indicates you have no concept of that a play-maker is.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on November 09, 2015, 11:29:52 am
On the field during games.  I really don't care so much what he does in between games; how do most fans know what ANYONE does beyond what we see with our own eyes during the games?

In my "perfect world", would I have him be the example at practice, a hard worker at all times, etc.?  Sure.  But what I care most about as a fan is that they produce "when the lights go on".  I have a feeling you, I and many others would be sorely disappointed if we knew more about the practice, study and personal habits of some of our favorite players over the years.  They aren't all Boy Scouts.

If that's a turn-off for you, I respect your right to feel that way.  But it doesn't affect my enjoyment (to an extent; if the transgression is serious enough - like this Hardy fool with the Cowboys - that's a different thing altogether).  But being a somewhat typically knuckleheaded 20 year old doesn't keep me from enjoying their talents. 

As I said in my first post in this thread:

I'm not sure you understand what the term means.  Whether you LIKE someone or not has NOTHING to do with their play-making ability.  For you to say "not a chance and not close" indicates you have no concept of that a play-maker is.

Matt Jones may NOT be the biggest playmaker we've ever had, but for God sakes it IS close, and he will ALWAYS be in the discussion. Just silly that that guy said not even close. I bet he can't name 5 guys who were more exciting and more liable to break one at any given time, hell I bet he can't name 3.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 09, 2015, 11:39:28 am
Matt Jones may NOT be the biggest playmaker we've ever had, but for God sakes it IS close, and he will ALWAYS be in the discussion. Just silly that that guy said not even close. I bet he can't name 5 guys who were more exciting and more liable to break one at any given time, hell I bet he can't name 3.

Off the top of my head . . . List of Top 5 (Offense) play-makers in Arkansas History (Note: This is at Arkansas; pro career does not factor in)

1)  Matt Jones
2)  DMac
3)  Felix Jones
4)  Gary Anderson
5)  Lance Alworth (different era, so stats won't look impressive; but contributed in a number of ways, including All America kick returner)

Clyde Scott would probably figure in there also, somewhere.

Cinco de Hogo

In my lifetime(58) there are only two that would be in the clouds full time.

DMac
Matt Jones.

Many many other have contributed highlight reel stuff from time to time but simple aren't stuff human highlight reel lore is made of.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on November 09, 2015, 04:50:49 pm
Off the top of my head . . . List of Top 5 (Offense) play-makers in Arkansas History (Note: This is at Arkansas; pro career does not factor in)

1)  Matt Jones
2)  DMac
3)  Felix Jones
4)  Gary Anderson
5)  Lance Alworth (different era, so stats won't look impressive; but contributed in a number of ways, including All America kick returner)

Clyde Scott would probably figure in there also, somewhere.

Hell, I might even put Mallet on that list, obviously for his arm not his legs, but that dude was liable to launch one from anywhere. He had no soul when it came to risking a turn over, and it paid off big a lot of times burned our ass a couple times too of course though.