Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Braves getting robbed

Started by Razorback_Mack, October 05, 2012, 07:01:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback_Mack

Bad umpires follow me everywhere. I don't want to hear you cardinal fans whine about deckinger anymore. Pitiful call.

Chollo

I'm a Reds fan so pretty impartial to this game but that was easily the worst call I've ever seen. Not just calling infield fly with a ball in left field, but the fact that he didn't raise his arm to signal infield fly until it looked like the Cardinals weren't going to catch it.

STLHogFan

It was bad. But braves have made 3 errors.
BEVO - It's what's for dinner.

Sueie

Well that was real classy throwing things on the field and causing a game delay.  But what do you expect.  See ya next year Atlanta.

Oh yeah,
Chipper was OUT at 1st.  ;D

nwarazfan

That was the first at bat of any MLB hitter I've seen in months.  Great timing on my part I guess.  I quit MLB years ago as it is a crap product.  This one game playoff is another stupid gimmick to try and get interest.  Anyway, I'm certainly impartial and it is one of the worst calls I've seen in any sport especially at a critcal moment like that.  I also can't say I blame Braves fans.  Would have been much worse in many cities. 

Razorback_Mack

It don't get any worse than that fellas. The game is under protest. I hate the cardinals and their whiny high pitched voice fans. As far as throwing stuff on the field, that was totally wrong. However, if that happened in St. Louis to the cardinals they would probably just take off their spectacles and retainers and cry together. They're Yankee geeks!

yraciv

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on October 05, 2012, 07:56:44 pm
It don't get any worse than that fellas. The game is under protest. I hate the cardinals and their whiny high pitched voice fans. As far as throwing stuff on the field, that was totally wrong. However, if that happened in St. Louis to the cardinals they would probably just take off their spectacles and retainers and cry together. They're Yankee geeks!

Haha yeah right! I'm a diehard Braves fan, but being from Arkansas I respect all things Cardinals and will root for them the rest of the way. You know damn well products would be flying all over the field in all major markets given the magnitude of this game.  And this is far from common in Atlanta.  Until October it's rarely filled and they can't compare to how Cards fans get on umps.

That being said the call was darn. Straight ******* BS! I hate that refs just did the same thing they did to the Hogs, and it kills me.  The ball was way too deep for an IF fly, the 3B got turned around, and the call was late.  Not to mention that is not an OF umpires call.  But they should have never been in that hole. Dumb, unexplainable errors!  The MLB will never overturn it and I do from reading the rulebook think it was a judgement call that is not overturnable.  A bad one at that, but it is what it is.

HaskellHog83

Actually that was the right call. An infield fly is defined as a routine pop fly that can be easily fielded by the infielder. The umpire can't help that it got lost in the lights.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: RedfieldHog83 on October 05, 2012, 08:30:23 pm
Actually that was the right call. An infield fly is defined as a routine pop fly that can be easily fielded by the infielder. The umpire can't help that it got lost in the lights.

That's nuts. No way that was the right call. Easily fielded by the infielder?  Ridiculous

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: HogsonHicks on October 05, 2012, 08:34:28 pm

That's nuts. No way that was the right call. Easily fielded by the infielder?  Ridiculous

Crazy call, but the IF was in position to make the catch.  The rule does not state that it must bi in the infield to be ruled IFR.

It balanced...the "timeout" prior to the third strike was bogus...should have been 6-1 by the time of the IFR.....
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

bsking

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on October 05, 2012, 10:24:02 pm
Crazy call, but the IF was in position to make the catch.  The rule does not state that it must bi in the infield to be ruled IFR.

It balanced...the "timeout" prior to the third strike was bogus...should have been 6-1 by the time of the IFR.....

Please.  Timeouts happen like that ever day somewhere in the bigs.  Plays like the other one happen NEVER.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: bsking on October 05, 2012, 11:35:17 pm
Please.  Timeouts happen like that ever day somewhere in the bigs.  Plays like the other one happen NEVER.

Suppose you are going to say that Chipper was safe in the 9th instead of the third out....
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

bsking

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on October 05, 2012, 11:43:21 pm
Suppose you are going to say that Chipper was safe in the 9th instead of the third out....

It was bang bang.  That play happens and is missed or not missed EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Ray Piggers

GO CARDINALS!

Yeah, cost them what? One run? Didn't they lose by three?

They did not deserve to win the game regardless. Error after error. Not to mention That call may have actually been the correct one. Did he wait a little too long? Yeah, but they're supposed to wait till the peak of the trajectory. Kozma looked like he reacted to the umps call and let it fall. Biased commentary yes, but watch MLB tv. They'll explain it.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Hawk

Judgement call. & those go against teams all the time. I got no problem with it. (especially since I'm a Card's fan) I did think, after that call, the strike zone shrank considerably for the Card pitcher's.

Alas, the Brave's still choked in the post-season. Hardly a new development.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on October 06, 2012, 01:55:42 am
GO CARDINALS!

They did not deserve to win the game regardless. Error after error. Not to mention That call may have actually been the correct one. Did he wait a little too long? Yeah, but they're supposed to wait till the peak of the trajectory. Kozma looked like he reacted to the umps call and let it fall. Biased commentary yes, but watch MLB tv. They'll explain it.

Bsking don't need no stinking MLBtv to tell him...he IS baseball authority....just ask him... 8)

bsking

GO CARDINALS!

How does bases loaded with one out only amount to one run?  How do you know it wouldn't be 2, or 7?  You don't.

GO CARDINALS!

Yeah, but they're supposed to wait till the peak of the trajectory.

Thanks, but no.  That's just wrong.

Kozma looked like he reacted to the umps call and let it fall.

Strike 3.

bsking

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on October 06, 2012, 07:56:41 am
Bsking don't need no stinking MLBtv to tell him...he IS baseball authority....just ask him... 8)

MLB TV is called by team respective announcers.  He was undoubtedly listening to the Cardinals announcers probably complaining that the game wasn't called after 5 so the Cardinals could get extra rest.

bulldog04

GO CARDINALS!

The rules state that an infield fly should be called immediately  It should also be a routine play for the infielder which it wasn't.  So you my friend are wrong.  It was a bad call.

TuckFexas

Jones refused to pin this loss on the umps.

"That one play didn't cost us the game. Three errors cost us the game," he said. "We just dug ourselves too big a hole."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/recap/MLB_20121005_STL@ATL/cards-eliminate-braves-with-help-of-controversial-infieldfly-call
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

bsking

Quote from: TuckFexas on October 06, 2012, 10:41:57 am
Jones refused to pin this loss on the umps.

"That one play didn't cost us the game. Three errors cost us the game," he said. "We just dug ourselves too big a hole."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/recap/MLB_20121005_STL@ATL/cards-eliminate-braves-with-help-of-controversial-infieldfly-call

Yeah he's classy. He isn't a Cardinal that chanted "infield fly" after the game.

TuckFexas

Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 11:10:19 am
Yeah he's classy. He isn't a Cardinal that chanted "infield fly" after the game.

He's classy, for sure. He's also right. You want to keep beating the drum about the questionable IFR call, but won't accept the BS time given when Lohse had started his motion and struck Ross out which would've ended the inning without any damage done. Instead, he gets another shot and puts up a 2 spot. BOTH calls were questionable, neither cost the other team the game.
Famous quote.

bsking

Quote from: TuckFexas on October 06, 2012, 11:20:31 am
He's classy, for sure. He's also right. You want to keep beating the drum about the questionable IFR call, but won't accept the BS time given when Lohse had started his motion and struck Ross out which would've ended the inning without any damage done. Instead, he gets another shot and puts up a 2 spot. BOTH calls were questionable, neither cost the other team the game.

I want you to tell me you honestly think that those calls are on par with each other.

One has literally never happened to my knowledge.  One happens literally almost every day in MLB.

TuckFexas

Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 11:32:47 am
I want you to tell me you honestly think that those calls are on par with each other.

One has literally never happened to my knowledge.  One happens literally almost every day in MLB.

No, they're not on par. One resulted in 2 runs on the scoreboard. One resulted in a what if scenario.
Famous quote.

bsking

Quote from: TuckFexas on October 06, 2012, 11:51:52 am
No, they're not on par. One resulted in 2 runs on the scoreboard. One resulted in a what if scenario.

All I needed to know.  Carry on.

TuckFexas

Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 11:57:55 am
All I needed to know.  Carry on.

It should be. At least we can agree on Hogs baseball. ha
Famous quote.

hawk8595

Quote from: Chollo on October 05, 2012, 07:21:19 pm
I'm a Reds fan so pretty impartial to this game but that was easily the worst call I've ever seen. Not just calling infield fly with a ball in left field, but the fact that he didn't raise his arm to signal infield fly until it looked like the Cardinals weren't going to catch it.

It has nothing to do with where the ball is on a pop up.  It has to do with an infielder in position to make the play with runners on first and second.  Whether he makes the play or not, the batter is out.  The umpire said he watched the play after the game and said it was the right call.  Joe Torre, in attendance, denied the protest and said it was the right call. 

This is the rule.

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted
bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or
first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any
outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for
the purpose of this rule.
When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall
immediately declare "Infield Fly" for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the
baselines, the umpire shall declare "Infield Fly, if Fair."
The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or
retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit
becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.
If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces
foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls
untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third
base, it is an Infield Fly.
Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the
ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder?not by some arbitrary limitation such as the
grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an
outfielder, if, in the umpire's judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The
infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire's judgment must govern, and the
decision should be made immediately.
When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly
rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule
6.05(l). The infield fly rule takes precedence.
IN FLIGHT describes a batted, thrown, or

Note this part of the rule:When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall
immediately declare "Infield Fly"

"When it becomes apparent..."   In other words, there is no lateness of call qualifier.

If the rule is disliked, and it is by many, it should be changed.  In the mean time... good call.

bsking

October 06, 2012, 04:57:13 pm #27 Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:59:42 pm by bsking
So you think that it became apparent when it was 10 feet off the ground and the SS peeled off of it?

If it was called it should had been called 5 seconds sooner.  That's like calling ball after a guy swung and missed and is sitting in the dugout.

hawk8595

Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 04:57:13 pm
So you think that it became apparent when it was 10 feet off the ground and the SS peeled off of it?

If it was called it should had been called 5 seconds sooner.  That's like calling ball after a guy swung and missed and is sitting in the dugout.

I wouldn't argue that.  It's a vague rule that should be changed but I have no idea how.  I'm only pointing out that the way it is written, it's a good call.  It's judgement and not protestable.  (my spell checker says that's not a good word but screw it)  They did protest it but Joe Torre denied it saying it could not be protested and said it was a good call.

BTW, whether the infielder makes the play, muffs it, or peels off, the batter is still out.  I know you know that but someone else might not.

bsking

Quote from: hawk8595 on October 06, 2012, 05:17:21 pm
I wouldn't argue that.  It's a vague rule that should be changed but I have no idea how.  I'm only pointing out that the way it is written, it's a good call.  It's judgement and not protestable.  (my spell checker says that's not a good word but screw it)  They did protest it but Joe Torre denied it saying it could not be protested and said it was a good call.

BTW, whether the infielder makes the play, muffs it, or peels off, the batter is still out.  I know you know that but someone else might not.

I said this before, just because it is a judgement call it doesn't mean it can't be blatantly wrong.  If the pitcher rolled the ball and the ump called it a strike, that's a judgement call too.

Yeah, it was a judgement call but it was incredibly and terribly wrong.

hawk8595

October 06, 2012, 05:41:46 pm #30 Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:43:45 pm by hawk8595
Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 05:33:22 pm
I said this before, just because it is a judgement call it doesn't mean it can't be blatantly wrong.  If the pitcher rolled the ball and the ump called it a strike, that's a judgement call too.

Yeah, it was a judgement call but it was incredibly and terribly wrong.

Do you agree the SS was clearly capable of making a play without difficulty?  (he obviously was)  If you agree, the call was justified.  If you say the call was late, I wouldn't argue but the way the rule is written, it isn't by rule, late. 

bsking

Quote from: hawk8595 on October 06, 2012, 05:41:46 pm
Do you agree the SS was clearly capable of making a play without difficulty?  (he obviously was)  If you agree, the call was justified.  If you say the call was late, I wouldn't argue but the way the rule is written, it isn't by rule, late. 

Without difficulty?  Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt no.  I've seen that ball drop a hundred times in my life it it has NEVER been called an error.

hawk8595

October 06, 2012, 06:35:38 pm #32 Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:47:21 pm by hawk8595
Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 06:19:31 pm
Without difficulty?  Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt no.  I've seen that ball drop a hundred times in my life it it has NEVER been called an error.

The ball dropping has nothing to do with it.  It's whether the SS is or can be without difficulty, in position or not. 

edit: I reread your post and realize what you are saying.  I completely disagree with this and therefore there isn't anything more to say.

bsking

Quote from: hawk8595 on October 06, 2012, 06:35:38 pm
The ball dropping has nothing to do with it.  It's whether the SS is or can be without difficulty, in position or not. 

edit: I reread your post and realize what you are saying.  I completely disagree with this and therefore there isn't anything more to say.

I don't know you or know your post history but it is mind boggling to me that anyone could say that that play could be done "without difficulty."

hawk8595

Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 07:01:53 pm
I don't know you or know your post history but it is mind boggling to me that anyone could say that that play could be done "without difficulty."

It's not the play. It's the position.  Could the SS get into position without difficulty.  I say (and the ump says) he clearly could. Again, it's not the play.  Read the rule.  The SS doesn't have to make the play for the batter to be out.  I really don't think we are accomplishing anything here.

cubsfan5150

The call was correctly called too late. That is not a difficult play for any SS in any league above college.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

cubsfan5150

If the SS purposely dropped it and the Cards had somehow pulled a DP, the Braves fans would have been crying about INF Fly not being called.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

bsking

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 06, 2012, 07:34:47 pm
If the SS purposely dropped it and the Cards had somehow pulled a DP, the Braves fans would have been crying about INF Fly not being called.

I don't think there would be one person on the entire planet that would say that.

Tell me.  Anyone.  Have you EVER seen a IF called that deep in the OF?  I never have.  I watched THOUSANDS of games and have never seen it, nor anything remotely close.

Ray Piggers

October 07, 2012, 04:28:57 am #38 Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:30:39 am by TaylorAlderson
Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 08:58:36 am
How does bases loaded with one out only amount to one run?  How do you know it wouldn't be 2, or 7?  You don't.

Thanks, but no.  That's just wrong.

Strike 3.

You don't know that they would have scored a run at all. McCann could have GIDP, and boom nothing. I thought they actually plated a run on that play before I rewatched it. Hence the one run line. And, yeah so it's supposed to be called the moment the ump thinks it will be an IF fly, not at it's peak. I was wrong, see you won something.. You happy?   It was my opinion that Kozma may have reacted to the ump.

And yes, I have seen it. Nearly the same thing happened with Starlin Castro and the cubs. There you have it. Precedent.

Ray Piggers

WhenPigsFly

October 07, 2012, 06:14:31 am #40 Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 06:42:37 am by WhenPigsFly
My take as a lifelong Cardinal fan:

The ball should not have been ruled an infleld fly.  IMO, it was way too deep for that.  The rule has only one intention, and that is to benefit the baserunners.  And the call did not do that.

BUT, the main reason for my opinion, is that NONE of the infield umps called the IFR.  Not one of the normal four umps.  One of the extra OF umps made the call.  They are there to help with plays in the OF, not make IF calls.

You can argue that according to the letter of the rule, the play was called correctly.  But the fact is, in a normal game, with the regular four IF umps, the call would almost certainly not have been made.

Razorback_Mack

October 07, 2012, 11:18:00 am #41 Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:20:30 am by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: bsking on October 06, 2012, 07:56:58 pm
I don't think there would be one person on the entire planet that would say that.

Tell me.  Anyone.  Have you EVER seen a IF called that deep in the OF?  I never have.  I watched THOUSANDS of games and have never seen it, nor anything remotely close.
That's all that needs to be said. I've seen the shortstop drift off into shallow left on a popup like that hundreds of times and have never seen that call. He was never under the baseball, the call was extremley late, and the Cardinals were rewarded for not making the play. It's that simple. The thing about baseball is that could have led to a 9 run inning. We just don't know. Yeah Chipper was right the 3 errors played the most critical role in the loss, but that doesn't mean that the game shouldn't be called right.

Goodbye to my favorite professionial athlete of all time. I was 10 years old during the summer of his rookie year. He was a southern boy that played for my favorite team, wore the same number I did, and played the same position. It's been one hell of a career. He's one of the top 5 switch hitters and 3rd baseman in the history of the game. He's the only switch hitter in the history of the game with a career .300 average and 400 career home runs. He has a WS ring. He won the NL MVP award in 1999. He won the NL batting title in 2008. He's an 8 time ALL Star. He holds the MLB record for most consecutive games with an extra base hit. .303/.401/.526 what a pretty line. First ballot HOF'er. It's been one hell of a career 10.

azhog10

Quote from: Sueie on October 05, 2012, 07:49:09 pm
Well that was real classy throwing things on the field and causing a game delay.  But what do you expect.  See ya next year Atlanta.

Oh yeah,
Chipper was OUT at 1st.  ;D
Idk if you are a cards fan but if so that's the pot calling the kettle black. Back when Mark was in the home run battle he got called out on strike three in the first inning against the Braves at Busch. The fans started throwing all sorts of trash on to the field. Much like they did in Atlanta. Oh and guess who was behind the plate that tossed Mark out? You guessed it Holbrook, the same guy who called the infield fly out.

Ham Sandwich

The infield fly is often debated in many occasions. The main reason it is called is to protect the offensive team. The flip side of this is what would have happened if the SS had not broke away from the play when he thought the left fielder was calling him off, but realizing that he had the runners holding at 1st and 2nd? Well folks we may have seen a 6-5-4 double play and we still may have seen bottles thrown on the field because the fans would have been yelling that it should have been  an infield fly. By the way I have seen the later happen more than a few times. It is a judgement call and we have to live with them in the game of baseball.  ;)

ucahogfan

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on October 08, 2012, 08:42:52 am
The infield fly is often debated in many occasions. The main reason it is called is to protect the offensive team. The flip side of this is what would have happened if the SS had not broke away from the play when he thought the left fielder was calling him off, but realizing that he had the runners holding at 1st and 2nd? Well folks we may have seen a 6-5-4 double play and we still may have seen bottles thrown on the field because the fans would have been yelling that it should have been  an infield fly. By the way I have seen the later happen more than a few times. It is a judgement call and we have to live with them in the game of baseball.  ;)
He was way too deep in the OF for a 6-5-4 DP to happen.  He might have gotten the out at 3rd, but there was no possible way a DP was going to be turned unless the runner on 1st broke his ankle.  I have said it in the MLB forum, but that particular call was against the spirit of the rule.  It was the correct call if you go by the rule book, but the LF ump made the call and it was way too deep in the OF for a DP to happen which is the point of the infield fly.  In this case, Sam Holbrook showed terrible judgment in calling the infield fly, but that isn't what cost the Braves the game.  It certainly hurt them as the bases would have been loaded with 1 out and a solid power hitter in Brian McCann coming up to the plate.

azhog10

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on October 08, 2012, 08:42:52 am
No chance to get a DP unless he caught the ball and the runners started advancing. Both runners were waiting to see the ball drop, and honestly both barely made it to their respective bags before the ball got in. There are many issues I have with the infield fly rule, bc if you read it to it's entirety it does imply that this is an infield pop up situation. However it does leave leniancy for it to be called into the out field. However it also talks about immediate action so the runners know it's been called. There was nothing immediate about the call and infact his hand wasn't raised until the ball was about 8 ft from the ground.

mhuff

October 08, 2012, 10:41:36 am #46 Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:45:12 am by mhuff
Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on October 05, 2012, 10:24:02 pm

When the ump called timeout, the pitch was irrelevant. Agree with first part.