Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanksgiving eve tidbits

Started by Porkatarian, November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkatarian

Looks like Scanlon will be our next AD.  If he does turn it down, the PTB will choose between Trainor or Varady. 

On to football. It's still Gus' job to turn down.  Norvell is the clear #2 at this point.   The wild card is that Mike Leach has some pretty influential people behind him and they are letting it known that he wants the job.

That's all I've got for now. 

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Tony Perkis

jkstock04

No cryptic stuff there...just laid out plain and simple. I like it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DoctorSusscrofa

Brand new stuff.  Never saw that coming.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

ShadowTheHedgehog

HF#1

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 22, 2017, 09:26:10 am
No cryptic stuff there...just laid out plain and simple. I like it.

Refreshing
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Mr Jade

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am
Looks like Scanlon will be our next AD.  If he does turn it down, the PTB will choose between Trainer or Varady. 

On to football. It's still Gus' job to turn down.  Norvell is the clear #2 at this point.   The wild card is the Mike Leach has some pretty influential people behind him and they are letting it known that he wants the job.

Porkatarian out...
I'd be happy with all of this!

razorbrock

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

HF#1

go hogues

As in, Kevin Trainor? I can't see that ending well.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Pig Power

Looks like Scanlon will be our next AD.  If he does turn it down, the PTB will choose between Trainer or Varady. 

On to football. It's still Gus' job to turn down.  Norvell is the clear #2 at this point.   The wild card is the Mike Leach has some pretty influential people behind him and they are letting it known that he wants the job.

Porkatarian out...
Thanks much PORK

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

parallaxpig

Mike Leach... Now that would be a change in direction. Let's do it. I'm in for crazy.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Tony Perkis

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 22, 2017, 09:32:38 am
Mike Leach... Now that would be a change in direction. Let's do it. I'm in for crazy.
Please tell me you guys have seen this gem from last night.

Edit: Thread has already been started on Leach's glorious wedding speech.

Ironhawg

The interest from Mike Leach is really surprising.  Since he left Texas Tech for Washington State I thought he kind of fit in the Pac-12.  You've got to admit that he would be an "interesting" fit in the SEC at Arkansas.  He would be entertaining if nothing else!

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 22, 2017, 09:34:07 am

Seems to have a good grip on the way things work.

Oliver

Looks like Scanlon will be our next AD.  If he does turn it down, the PTB will choose between Trainor or Varady. 

On to football. It's still Gus' job to turn down.  Norvell is the clear #2 at this point.   The wild card is that Mike Leach has some pretty influential people behind him and they are letting it known that he wants the job.

Porkatarian out...

What are the odds that we miss on our backup head coaching targets due to waiting on our first candidate to accept/refuse the job?

Kneph13

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 22, 2017, 09:34:07 am

LOL Classic
There is no Political Correctness in war

Bacons Rebellion

I like the progression Malzahn -> Norvell -> Leach.

Malzahn is a proven SEC coach.

Norvell is the up and comer with a good, but short track record as a head coach. His only detriment is the length of his head coaching stint.

Leach would be a heck of a lot of fun, but I just can't see him getting over the hump and winning the SECW. I could see us beating Alabama and finishing 4-4 in conference play. But it SURE would be fun.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Oliver on November 22, 2017, 09:39:23 am
What are the odds that we miss on our backup head coaching targets due to waiting on our first candidate to accept/refuse the job?

I suspect we will know more after the Bama vs Auburn game.

Porkatarian out...

GuvHog

Porkatarian out...

I like Scanlon as AD but would prefer Norvell as HC.

If Gus gets the job, color me skeptical. I'm not from Missouri but he'll still have to show me that he can be successful while running a clean program. I just don't trust him at all.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Porkatarian

FWIW, Charlie Strong has let it be known he would be interested in the job.  I'm hearing for whatever reason, that we're not interested in Charlie.

Porkatarian out...

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on November 22, 2017, 09:41:41 am
I like the progression Malzahn -> Norvell -> Leach.

Malzahn is a proven SEC coach.

Norvell is the up and comer with a good, but short track record as a head coach. His only detriment is the length of his head coaching stint.

Leach would be a heck of a lot of fun, but I just can't see him getting over the hump and winning the SECW. I could see us beating Alabama and finishing 4-4 in conference play. But it SURE would be fun.

Leach is winning big at the PAC-10+2's Kentucky. It seems that he has begun to develop a decent defense to go with his air raid.

Could do a lot worse.

My fear is that he can't run the ball well enough to make up for the depth issues we always seem to have on the defensive side of the ball.
This is my non-signature signature.

jst01

All 3 of those coaches at least have something in common.. they believe in scoring as much as possible and will get the ball to playmakers and try to outrun the defense. Even a middle of the pack SEC defense would be enough to have success (i.e. 8-9 wins +)

Mr Jade

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 09:28:59 am
google

All I got is a former Razorback QB with no info other than college stats.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

hawg1221

Makes me wonder if Leach was ahead of the game here and saw what was going to happen here in Arkansas. Do you guys remember earlier this year when he mentioned WMS in Little Rock being one of the toughest places to play and how great the fans are? Sounds like a sales pitch to me.

Hawg Life

Quote from: jst01 on November 22, 2017, 09:53:52 am
All 3 of those coaches at least have something in common.. they believe in scoring as much as possible and will get the ball to playmakers and try to outrun the defense. Even a middle of the pack SEC defense would be enough to have success (i.e. 8-9 wins +)

I agree. We should take Norvell and spend the money on top notch assistants that can recruit.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Appreciate it Pork. Interesting as always. Especially the Leach stuff.

HF#1

The Charlie Strong tidbit is interesting. Part of me is glad we aren't interested but he wouldn't be a bad option should our top 3 fall through.

HF#1

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 22, 2017, 09:57:46 am
All I got is a former Razorback QB with no info other than college stats.

He is a former Razorback, currently sits on the RF board. He has been with Stephens for 20+ years and currently leads their Private Client Group. He has worked in Sports Management, dealing with the likes of Nolan and Lou. He is a Razorback who is more than capable of leading that program to unprecedented success.

Atlhogfan1

KT is a great guy and I would think he would be a good leader.  Been in AD office since he was a student so knows the inner workings.  But more of a media SID background than business.  Would be happy for him. 

Don't tease me that we may actually do a search beyond Gus and MN. 

Gus doesn't excite me.  Worry about his qb play.

MN would have an SEC learning curve.  If he figured it out how long would it take and what would we look like.

Leach is the intriguing one.  Scary but he is a passing offense genius.   And his wazzu D reminds me of 70s 80s Hogs in that they are undersized but quick physical and opportunistic.  I think Leach could figure it out.  And for the Texas obsessed he has the O and connections that mesh with Texas. 

But it will probably be Gus.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jgphillips3

If Gus is chosen, I will back him.  However, his so-so results with top ten talent frighten the Hell out of me.  Now, maybe that was his learning curve and he's ready to take off.  However, I'm way more in favor of Norvell or even Leach.  I just hope we aren't putting all our eggs in the Gus basket.  Fortunately, the other two are busy with successful seasons anyway.

my3boneheads

I wanted Leach before Petrino and CBB. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 10:05:48 am
If Gus is chosen, I will back him.  However, his so-so results with top ten talent frighten the Hell out of me.  Now, maybe that was his learning curve and he's ready to take off.  However, I'm way more in favor of Norvell or even Leach.  I just hope we aren't putting all our eggs in the Gus basket.  Fortunately, the other two are busy with successful seasons anyway.

Basically sums up my sentiments.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

bluegrassboy75

Porkatarian out...

When do you expect an announcement on the AD job?

my3boneheads

I signed the Leach to Arkansas petition.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Tony Perkis

Leach is a fairly distant 3rd for me. I'd support him, though.

Tony Perkis

If it's any of these three, we're not going to get away from fans misspelling our coach's name 8/10 times. Disappointing.

bville_hog

Isn't making Leach coach of the razorbacks a little like electing Trump President?

Yeah, both have some qualifications they are really good at, but I think the appeal of both is more the "reality TV" aspect.  You are just waiting for them to do something off-the-wall crazy to create interesting news and hoping like heck they don't press the nuke button!

DoctorSusscrofa

Porkatarian out...

A thread by a Mod claimed that the decision on AD has already been made and even suggested that the announcement might be last Monday.  It wasn't on Monday, but he didn't promise it would be Monday.  You claim that "if Scanlon turns it down" it could be others.  Ok. So is the Mod completely wrong?  No deal done just waiting for announcement? Or is it still if Scanlon turns it down?  I can't see how both threads could be right even though many HV residents are lining up behind these threads. Just want someone to call which one is really telling it and which one is BS.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

The_Iceman

Quote from: bville_hog on November 22, 2017, 10:22:21 am
Isn't making Leach coach of the razorbacks a little like electing Trump President?

Yeah, both have some qualifications they are really good at, but I think the appeal of both is more the "reality TV" aspect.  You are just waiting for them to do something off-the-wall crazy to create interesting news and hoping like heck they don't press the nuke button!

You mean like if you listen to them talk, you'd think they are idiots. But when you look at the economy/record, you realize they are actually pretty good at what they do?

MC_Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 22, 2017, 09:45:49 am
I like Scanlon as AD but would prefer Norvell as HC.

If Gus gets the job, color me skeptical. I'm not from Missouri but he'll still have to show me that he can be successful while running a clean program. I just don't trust him at all.

+1

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HotlantaHog

I prefer Gus as a proven winner with ties to Arkansas, like Leach as a hugely colorful character who is a winner and puts fun teams on the field .... Leach also coached in Texas, that is a huge plus.... Norvell seems the most untested of the three -- yes there is some considerable upside and he might be great, also most likely to fall flat.

If it were me based on what I know:

1. Gus
2. Leach
3. Norvell

But I don't pretend to be the world's greatest expert and I am sure people who actually talk to the coaches and those who know them should be able to give a more complete account of their strengths and weaknesses, including some that wouldn't come out right away.

As we learned in hiring Bret, you are  not hiring a resume -- sometimes the untested candidate works out (Dabo Swinney at Clemson) and sometimes the tested candidate doesn't (Bret, Danny Ford, Charlie Strong, some others). Having an athletic director who knows what he (or she) is doing adds confidence to the process.

hogginbama

One who is thought to be dirty due to his association with Auburn, used kids to get his break then bailed on them when he didn't get his way. Another who will be grateful for his chance at the big time and will do exactly what the money guys say and the last that is bat-darn crazy. Looks like the PTBs were tired of not having control during the absence of the GOBN so they are taking over in full force. Seems like the money in LR is winning out after being slighted with all of the GSD stuff and have made the power play. While the vocal majority on the message boards are all in agreement with them, I wonder about the entire fan base. It is easy to say "everyone I talk to is for the changes", yet you are talking to folks who are in your circle that probably have the same opinions as you do on just about everything.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.