Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bijhon's opinion on the QB competition

Started by Snout team, January 13, 2018, 12:14:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snout team

Interesting.  Don't think I have ever seen a player comment on anyone other than the returning starter.

https://twitter.com/bijhonj/status/952223014799757312

Even though his eligibility is up, he just finished playing with all these guys.  Maybe a sign that Hyatt is the real deal
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

cardinalandwhite

Did Hyatt run the scout team last year? Could be why he says that.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 13, 2018, 12:14:58 pm
Interesting.  Don't think I have ever seen a player comment on anyone other than the returning starter.

Even though his eligibility is up, he just finished playing with all these guys.  Maybe a sign that Hyatt is the real deal

I really like Hyatt to start. Have to say that I really love Bijohn he could have went anywhere and he played for the Razorbacks. Hyatt is a better athlete than the others on campus and has the arm to run Coach Morris's offense.

FANONTHEHILL

Jack Lindsey, Carson Proctor,  and Daulton Hyatt took snaps on scout team.  When Austin was out, Lindsey went with the offensive group and Carson and Daulton split the time.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bphi11ips

Congratulations to Bijhon on graduation!  He is clearly an intelligent young man. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Cure

Dalton Hyatt has some quicks and is probably best suited to run the type of offense Morris wants with a mobile QB. That said, I could definitely see Cole getting the nod. Excited for the competition in the spring.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

ChitownHawg

Morris' offense has thrived without a DT QB, so the competition should be interesting. Especially with CK losing weight.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 13, 2018, 12:14:58 pm

In order to have a true opinion on the "QB competition" he would have to have rendered an opinion on everyone else. By this tweet he is merely saying that he is looking forward to seeing how Hyatt competes for the job. He probably likes Hyatt as a person and a team mate and a player. It's difficult to draw any accurate conclusions beyond that.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Ever since Morris was announced, I felt that Daulton might be the best fit, but probably won't be ready by September.  However, I expect a lively QB battle (for the first time in forever) that will make both Cole and Daulton up their game.  A lean Cole in an RPO laden offense could be deadly especially while the offensive line is finally learning to block in a scheme that finally fits their skill set.

Once the line is more stable and Daulton gets some more reps, say by game 6 or so, he may be ready and give us a slight change up and we will finally have two QB's who can lead the team if the other goes down.  If Cole has any hiccup in progressing though, Daulton will be on his heels nipping.  Conner will redshirt, and needs to redshirt barring substantial injury to Cole or Daulton.  I really don't see Ty sticking around, or playing if he does, but who knows.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 13, 2018, 07:20:53 pm
Ever since Morris was announced, I felt that Daulton might be the best fit, but probably won't be ready by September.  However, I expect a lively QB battle (for the first time in forever) that will make both Cole and Daulton up their game.  A lean Cole in an RPO laden offense could be deadly especially while the offensive line is finally learning to block in a scheme that finally fits their skill set.

Once the line is more stable and Daulton gets some more reps, say by game 6 or so, he may be ready and give us a slight change up and we will finally have two QB's who can lead the team if the other goes down.  If Cole has any hiccup in progressing though, Daulton will be on his heels nipping.  Conner will redshirt, and needs to redshirt barring substantial injury to Cole or Daulton.  I really don't see Ty sticking around, or playing if he does, but who knows.

The coaches have to be careful with Connor or he will jump to baseball.  Connor has ran a spread offense at Greenwood and he is very, very good.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

247Hog

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 13, 2018, 07:41:47 pm
The coaches have to be careful with Connor or he will jump to baseball.  Connor has ran a spread offense at Greenwood and he is very, very good.

Be careful?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

greenEGnHAWGS

Can someone give me a rundown of the Hyatt hype? I guess I just don't know much about him as I don't remember much about his recruiting.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

woodhog14

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 13, 2018, 07:41:47 pm
He is not going to get drafted high enough to not want to come to the UofA.

Lao Tsuie

Will any practices be open to the public?  Has Coach commented on this yet?

Adam Stokes

What is the last legitimate QB battle that we've had? Mustain/Dick? Seems like it was Dick->Mallett->Wilson->Allen&Allen, and in that frame there was never really a question of who the starter would be. Seems crazy that it is the first time in 12 seasons.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

AHiD

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 13, 2018, 10:31:27 pm
What is the last legitimate QB battle that we've had? Mustain/Dick? Seems like it was Dick->Mallett->Wilson->Allen&Allen, and in that frame there was never really a question of who the starter would be. Seems crazy that it is the first time in 12 seasons.

The Dick bros in Petrino's 1st year.
My name...is Jerruh

jkelly107

PigPusher

Wonder why it is that except for us any other freshman quarterback in the country can start their first minutes of their college football career. But, on our team they, the freshman QB, seem to always in the mind of the fans need to wait until their freshman year is mostly over. This gives them time to be well versed enough to get on the field.  I have always felt that if the QB is talented enough get em on the field as soon as possible. In doing so they will gain the experience to get better and better. This needed experience does not happen as fast standing on the sidelines or waiting for your turn during practice. If need be give them fifteen or so plays to learn, as appropriate for an upcoming opposing defense, and stick em out there.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PigPusher on January 14, 2018, 01:09:14 am
Wonder why it is that except for us any other freshman quarterback in the country can start their first minutes of their college football career. But, on our team they, the freshman QB, seem to always in the mind of the fans need to wait until their freshman year is mostly over. This gives them time to be well versed enough to get on the field.  I have always felt that if the QB is talented enough get em on the field as soon as possible. In doing so they will gain the experience to get better and better. This needed experience does not happen as fast standing on the sidelines or waiting for your turn during practice. If need be give them fifteen or so plays to learn, as appropriate for an upcoming opposing defense, and stick em out there.
It's been a long, long time since we've had a freshman that can compete with the upperclassmen. No one saw AA's issues coming last year. It's gonna be a fun competition to watch. At least I don't believe there's anyone who can genuinely question Morris' evaluating ability...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ChitownHawg

You mean experience like BA had his freshman year? Ouch.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Mike_e

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 13, 2018, 08:40:16 pm
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1253550/583cb8e15b3cb11424b86b8c

Kid's got a live arm and some nice moves.

But, if he tries some of what's shown on this video in the SEC he'd get eaten alive.  Good thing that he's got time to learn what he can and can't do in practice right?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Bacons Rebellion

The offenses we've run for many years have put a load on the quarterbacks. Petrino: If there is an iconic image of Petrino (after that neck brace), it's of him yelling at his quarterback. Bielema: his pro-style offense expected a lot of mental aptitude out of his quarterback.

When you run a spread you have a few base plays, you get the audible signaled in from the sideline, your suppose to run your options, often the same options you ran in high school or JUCO, so it's easier for a new quarterback to succeed in that offense. Most of the freshmen quarterback you see are dual threat, which really often means run first, and they have the legs to get them out of their mistakes.

Like many, others, i've been saying I'm excited to see what Dalton Hyatt shows this year.

PigPusher

Whatever happens it is going to be really fun to watch for a change. And, yes it does harken back to the Petrino days in several aspects. Miss him and his competitiveness.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ChitownHawg on January 14, 2018, 03:43:20 am
You mean experience like BA had his freshman year? Ouch.
no, he means like how the national title game was true freshman vs true freshman...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HeathWimp

Bielema sure didn't like QB competitions.....
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

onebadrubi

Deja vu.... rewind a year ago and insert CK in place of hyatts name, or "the franchise"

BroyledNutts

In my opinion only, it reflects on a few things inherent to Razorback Football.
Number one, football IQ and star quality ... most of our QBs have suffered from want of it, whether freshman or otherwise ... [but this is less a factor than the others.]
Number two, a system in place at the time that fits and highlights the skill set of the QBs available ...
Number three, the IQ of the head coach and staff, and their willingness to start a freshman over an upperclassman  ...
Number four, a head coach and staff that has a modern approach to college football ...
Number five, a head coach and staff that doesn't participate in nepotism on the sidelines ...

Feel free to add if I've overlooked something ...

IronHog

Frosh QBs rarely do well.  Your just watching Bama and Ga that both have good OLs

Kelley played well considering the circumstances and the chances of him getting beat out by a 190lbs redshirt are slim to none
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: IronHog on January 14, 2018, 01:23:43 pm

Frosh QBs rarely do well.  Your just watching Bama and Ga that both have good OLs

Kelley played well considering the circumstances and the chances of him getting beat out by a 190lbs redshirt are slim to none

Are you saying Hyatt is 190lbs?

onebadrubi

1HourToHogville

Interesting QB discussion during the National Title game on the broadcast featuring the coaches watching the game.  Gundy, Cutcliffe, Sumlin, etc. were talking about the ability of a QB to catch the snap using only his peripheral vision was crucial in the spread as the QB needed to see the pre-snap read and the movement of the defense as the ball is snapped to be effective.   No time to watch ball into hands.  Gundy said the QB has to be shortstop or 2nd base type guy that can turn the tough double play.  Be interesting to see who that guy is on the team.

Think about this.  Do you really believe that the experience that Cole Kelley got gives him a big step up on the starting job next season.  I actually believe it could hurt him if he comes in believing he is the man and by the tme he finds out he isn't, someone else has the job.

We have lots of posters making those assumption type statements as absolute fact on here again.  I have no reason to believe that Chad Morris is a guru on evaluating talent.  I do believe this Hog team is about to give the man that exact challenge with a very short time to complete the job.  I do have reason to believe that Chad Morris will work hard to make the team better because he is showing that. 

I heard this crap about Bret Bielema when he was first hired.  When a poster starts out, I have no doubt, I believe we need to assume the following statement is likely very doubtful.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 14, 2018, 04:27:33 pm
Roster says 6'4" 188

He's been in the weight room for a year surely he's atleast 200-205.

onebadrubi

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 14, 2018, 07:00:39 pm
He's been in the weight room for a year surely he's atleast 200-205.

I believe that weight was this past football season. Either way he needs meat and muscle mass

razCzar

Nice thread.

Not really following younger players like some of you do, I was less aware of our qb talent-in-waiting. 

The Hyatt kid sounds intriguing. Reading up on him, I really like his background - football upbringing since a toddler, in an Alabama small town that would pass for any in Arkansas.  He should take to being a Hog with no problem.

Background:
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-football-quarterback-daulton-hyatt-recruiting-02-01-2017

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

IronHog

Quote from: 12247 on January 14, 2018, 06:59:08 pm
Think about this.  Do you really believe that the experience that Cole Kelley got gives him a big step up on the starting job next season.  I actually believe it could hurt him if he comes in believing he is the man and by the tme he finds out he isn't, someone else has the job.

We have lots of posters making those assumption type statements as absolute fact on here again.  I have no reason to believe that Chad Morris is a guru on evaluating talent.  I do believe this Hog team is about to give the man that exact challenge with a very short time to complete the job.  I do have reason to believe that Chad Morris will work hard to make the team better because he is showing that. 

I heard this crap about Bret Bielema when he was first hired.  When a poster starts out, I have no doubt, I believe we need to assume the following statement is likely very doubtful.

Yes the experience Kelley gained gives him a huge leg up on the other QBs

Here is way this plays out:

Kelley comes in and it's his job to lose.  Big, strong, and despite being a drop back guy can run enough to do the zone read stuff some.....

Story really isn't a factor barring injury to Kelley.   Not a real running threat...avg arm.

Hyatt can be a factor to push Kelley IF he has physically developed to the point he can be a factor.  He was very skinny combing out of HS.  Drop back passer.

IronHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 15, 2018, 12:07:30 am
Is it me or does he have an awkward throwing motion? Hard to tell on video but it looks like his release is low.

All over the place with his release and footwork.  But putting the ball where he wants it.  Just adequate arm....not real natural thrower.

But if they were basing the starter off pretty HS film they'd be starting Townsa from USC

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 14, 2018, 01:15:15 pm
In my opinion only, it reflects on a few things inherent to Razorback Football.
Number one, football IQ and star quality ... most of our QBs have suffered from want of it, whether freshman or otherwise ... [but this is less a factor than the others.]
Number two, a system in place at the time that fits and highlights the skill set of the QBs available ...
Number three, the IQ of the head coach and staff, and their willingness to start a freshman over an upperclassman  ...
Number four, a head coach and staff that has a modern approach to college football ...
Number five, a head coach and staff that doesn't participate in nepotism on the sidelines ...

Feel free to add if I've overlooked something ...

Pretty sure you hit on every fallacy available...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 12247 on January 14, 2018, 06:59:08 pm
Think about this. Do you really believe that the experience that Cole Kelley got gives him a big step up on the starting job next season.  I actually believe it could hurt him if he comes in believing he is the man and by the time he finds out he isn't, someone else has the job.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure you want your QB confident. That said I hope all of them think they're 2nd most prepared, in shape and/or ready. THEN I hope they prepare like their hair is on fire and come into spring ready to fight for the job.
Secondly, I wouldn't want a coach that is too dumb to motivate, educate and evaluate his QB talent.
Thirdly, Morris doesn't have a set QB archetype that he is looking to fit as closely as possible. He wants to find the best QB out of the bunch and build an offense to his skill set. We will see an offense that is ever changing and that will probably scare some of us too...

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 14, 2018, 12:08:31 pm

Unfortunately I am not sure he liked to play number 2 at many positions.  I am not sure if that is because we did not have a good option or because that was his way.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike_e on January 14, 2018, 07:19:45 am
Kid's got a live arm and some nice moves.

But, if he tries some of what's shown on this video in the SEC he'd get eaten alive.  Good thing that he's got time to learn what he can and can't do in practice right?

Agreed.  That's what I immediately thought about Brandon Allen.  In HS, he was a major threat to take off and run...and he would run away from people.  I thought maybe we would have a legitimate threat to scramble for the first time since Matt Jones.  Not even close...looked slow against SEC defenses.  So when his brother looked the same in HS..."Fool me once..."   ;D

I think you have to have ridiculous speed in HS at QB to be a dual threat in the SEC.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 14, 2018, 12:08:31 pm

I see this over and over in regards to Bielema, but I don't see what he could have done much differently in regards to the QB situation.  Who should have replaced Brandon Allen?  Are we saying that there should have been a QB competition between Allen, Allen, Storey and Peavey when BA was a senior?  Who should have replaced Austin Allen?  Have we had a lot of transfers of 4-5 star QB's that end up setting the world on fire at other places?  I think that there were plenty of issues, obviously, with the Bielema coaching tenure at Arkansas, but I can't see how not having QB competition was one of them.   

HouSwine

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2018, 11:53:46 am
no, he means like how the national title game was true freshman vs true freshman...
Exactly. So many times on this board some of the most knowledgeable football folks have said it can't be done in today's SEC.
Go figure

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: HouSwine on January 15, 2018, 01:49:49 pm
Exactly. So many times on this board some of the most knowledgeable football folks have said it can't be done in today's SEC.
Go figure

It can be done if those true freshmen are surrounded by lots of elite talent on both sides of the ball.  It can't just be done anywhere at any time.

Pigstie

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 14, 2018, 12:20:55 pm
Deja vu.... rewind a year ago and insert CK in place of hyatts name, or "the franchise"
If CK wants to even entertain the idea of the NFL he needs to keep the weight and switch to TE like today.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

arkansasbred

Quote from: Pigstie on January 15, 2018, 08:47:20 pm
If CK wants to even entertain the idea of the NFL he needs to keep the weight and switch to TE like today.
Doesn't look nearly athletic enough to me to sniff playing time at TE.