Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Closed Bball "Haters" are Fools!

Started by SexyBeast77, May 21, 2007, 09:03:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SexyBeast77

Who are these idiots saying they are a Pelphrey hater becacuse he closed practice?
He's the coach. He knows more than everybody else. His job is to win.
If his players aren't focused because there's people around, and they will get more done
by having closed practices then this is the best thing. Like a caller to Press Row pointed out,
maybe a player is hurt and the coach wants a bit of smoke and mirrors, he should be allowed
to close practice for strategic purposes.  There's a reason these teams aren't a direct democracy
where people vote. You find the guy, he knows the most, and he makes the decision. Again the point is to win.
If the best way to get there is closed practice, that's what you do. There's no obligation to fans to let them
see absolutely everything that goes on. If you're the coach, and you lose because you had to keep having open practices
that would be worse. Some people just need to get a freakin' clue.  :razorback:

batesvegashog

I just think that it's awesome how our program sucked so bad that we went and got a Sunbelt Conf. coach.  I think that alone should make us a huge national joke.  I mean really it's true.  We hired a football coach that was 5-6 at Boise State (his only D1 head coaching job) and then we went and got 2 sub-par coaches from sub-par conferences to coach our NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP caliber basketball program.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: batesvegashog on May 21, 2007, 09:12:50 am
I just think that it's awesome how our program sucked so bad that we went and got a Sunbelt Conf. coach.  I think that alone should make us a huge national joke.  I mean really it's true.  We hired a football coach that was 5-6 at Boise State (his only D1 head coaching job) and then we went and got 2 sub-par coaches from sub-par conferences to coach our NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP caliber basketball program.

Eddie Sutton was from Creighton, which would be considered sub-par going by your criteria
Nolan was at Tulsa, which would have fit the same mold as Sutton.

Keep it real.

No, there's no guarantee that Pelphrey will have as much success. But there's no reason to think that he can't, either. If the fans will do their part  and support the team like any other "NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP caliber basketball program" would do, I'd say he has a pretty good shot.

So, whenever you're ready to get with the program, please feel free to do so.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

OzarkHighs

He probably doesn't want everyone to see how bad of shape these kids are in. I would figure during this point of practice he really is having to assert himself and that might not be pretty given the attitudes of some of these players.

Held Hawgstage

They guys on the hill don't want you to know how far over his head Pelphrey is. They are keeping him underwraps as they should.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 21, 2007, 11:29:54 am
They guys on the hill don't want you to know how far over his head Pelphrey is. They are keeping him underwraps as they should.

Yeah, there's some more of that real "objective" reasoning you keep putting out there.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jcam61

Good for him for closing practices.   Practice is not supposed to be a media event.   Its designed to make your team better.     The less distractions the better.

Bomis Hawg

I don't care if practice is closed or not.  As long as it is effective and they take those practices to the game.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 21, 2007, 09:32:34 am
If the fans will do their part  and support the team like any other "NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP caliber basketball program" would do, So, whenever you're ready to get with the program, please feel free to do so.

Where was your support last year. Instead of trashing the "style of play" you should have been trashing your lack of effort in supporting the team that made a run to the tournament.

pimphog

We offered some of the best conferences out there....they didn't want to have anything do with us......we did try to get the best but Pelphrey or Dana Altman was the best we could get....and Pelphrey is a dandy!......he will do well for this program

pimphog

Quote from: pimphog on May 22, 2007, 12:32:53 pm
We offered some of the best conferences out there....they didn't want to have anything do with us......we did try to get the best but Pelphrey or Dana Altman was the best we could get....and Pelphrey is a dandy!......he will do well for this program

coaches.....not conferences......sorry

javajockey

Quote from: OzarkHighs on May 21, 2007, 11:01:12 am
He probably doesn't want everyone to see how bad of shape these kids are in. I would figure during this point of practice he really is having to assert himself and that might not be pretty given the attitudes of some of these players.

Ozark is right!  Probably doesn't want people to form their first oppinion of him while he is CHEWIN' BUTT!

slopinhogs

i think he realizes just how far this team has to go to be where he wants them to be. doesn't want to name names or call attention to gaging and pukeing guys trying to get in shape learning a new system . they only had 4 practices to do that in and now they should be going by his office to get to know him better.he's the man and if he wants closed practices .get er done. Coach Pel is the man we need :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Foshodo

Quote from: jcam61 on May 21, 2007, 10:15:14 pm
Good for him for closing practices.   Practice is not supposed to be a media event.   Its designed to make your team better.     The less distractions the better.

Ditto...

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Foshodo on May 24, 2007, 09:31:32 pm
Quote from: jcam61 on May 21, 2007, 10:15:14 pm
Good for him for closing practices.   Practice is not supposed to be a media event.   Its designed to make your team better.     The less distractions the better.

Ditto...

Ditto x2....

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 21, 2007, 09:32:34 am

Eddie Sutton was from Creighton, which would be considered sub-par going by your criteria
Nolan was at Tulsa, which would have fit the same mold as Sutton.

Keep it real.

No, there's no guarantee that Pelphrey will have as much success. But there's no reason to think that he can't, either. If the fans will do their part  and support the team like any other "NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP caliber basketball program" would do, I'd say he has a pretty good shot.

So, whenever you're ready to get with the program, please feel free to do so.
You gotta take into effect that he coached 6 years at FL too, and he played under Patino and Sutton.  He has the pedigree and he is young with energy.  Nobody should be laughing at us with this hire, they may not be sweating yet, but if you don't like the talk coming off the hill about pel I don't know what you want to hear.

ColumbianHog

I don't see anything wrong with hiring a coach from the Sun Belt.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  I agree it would have been nice to land a big-name coach with lots of tourney experience but if Pelphrey is worth his salt then he'll be every bit as good as a Bill Self or Billy Gillispie or whichever other big name coach we could have courted.  If he's not then we'll show him the door.  Pelphrey knows the SEC and Evans knows the SEC.  They've all played against the big boys and they've been around the big time players.  They should know talent when they see it.  If he's learned anything from Sutton, Pitino, and Donovan then he should be able to put together a decent gameplan.

While I admit I was sad to see Heath go (say what you will about me for that), I must say that I'm very optimistic about this upcoming season and I think Pelphrey will do very well here.