Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AGFC_CWD Meetings_Ft. Smith & Springdale

Started by 95_alum, March 20, 2018, 12:12:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrow hog call

I hear people from other states where CWD has been prevalent talk about shooting every deer you see for a few years or so. Is that the most widely used method for eradicating this stuff? Kind of wonder what we are going to be looking at in the next few years, might be interesting to go and hear what they say.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

jkstock04

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 21, 2018, 04:43:22 pm
I hear people from other states where CWD has been prevalent talk about shooting every deer you see for a few years or so. Is that the most widely used method for eradicating this stuff? Kind of wonder what we are going to be looking at in the next few years, might be interesting to go and hear what they say.
I've heard the same...basically kill everything that walks within said vicinity. Even that won't 100% stop it because the protein remnants are still in the soil...but it will slow it down tenfold. I actually did enough research on this subject last summer to make me extremely selective on shooting something this last fall. End deal was I let everything legal walk.

I'm in the camp of I'm going to get any deer I kill tested before I eat it. And of course no more butcher...have to get a nice grinder and do it myself now.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawgon

Given that the incubation period is long enough that a lot of deer will die of age, hunting, or other causes before they ever show signs of being sick, I figure that CWD is one of those things that they will eventually decide has been around a long time, if not forever.  It is probable that certain environmental stresses or population thresholds cause it to flair a bit or seem to flair.

woodrow hog call

So did anybody go hear what they had to say? I intended to go but forgot when it came time.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"