Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The New AD is a done deal

Started by Porked Tongue, November 16, 2017, 05:21:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Quote from: TebowHater on November 16, 2017, 09:41:52 pm
TV revenues are definitely falling nationally, see ESPN. Sorry, didn't mean ours are actively falling, but rather that the next SECN contract will be worth a fraction of what current contract is.
Pretty bold move, predicting something 17 years out.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TebowHater

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2017, 09:54:09 pm
Pretty bold move, predicting something 17 years out.

I was wrong on how long the contract lasted. Does not change the fact that as revenues fall the amount we get as a school falls. That said, they are currently still increasing for the SECN (nationally revenues are falling - will be interesting to see the figures for this year).

TN HOG

My parlay for Razorback AD & HC;
Former Louisville AD Tom Jurich & current Louisville football coach Bobby Petrino.  Just saying....
Play like a Champion!

WBOBO

Why is it to me that Tommy T. comes across as a middle class hog with
people but can tee off at the Alotian with the big boys when he has to and yet not feel out of place?   He seems like he has a vision with where he would go if he were AD.  It seems he has a plan, and that's one thing that has been lacking since Long took over.  Broyles had visions that looked into the future without disrupting the present times and kept the common folk like me still felt connected to the program.  It takes all walks of life involved
in Hog nation to be united and we haven't seen that in quite a while.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

factchecker

Quote from: WBOBO on November 16, 2017, 09:56:37 pm
Why is it to me that Tommy T. comes across as a middle class hog with
people but can tee off at the Alotian with the big boys when he has to and yet not feel out of place?   He seems like he has a vision with where he would go if he were AD.  It seems he has a plan, and that's one thing that has been lacking since Long took over.  Broyles had visions that looked into the future without disrupting the present times and kept the common folk like me still felt connected to the program.  It takes all walks of life involved
in Hog nation to be united and we haven't seen that in quite a while.

Yep.... Tommy can identify with the common fan:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/11/05/cincinnati-coach-tommy-tuberville-tells-heckling-fan-go-hell/93371872/

QuoteCincinnati coach Tommy Tuberville, frustrated after the Bearcats' 20-3 loss to BYU, snapped at a heckling fan.

As Tuberville was heading to the tunnel and into the locker room, a fan yelled at him, "you're stealing from this university." Tuberville wasn't having it.

"Go to hell," he jabbed back at first, shaking his head. Then he said, "get a job" to the fan.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 09:16:44 pm
Suites are sold out and if Scanlon is hired then I will seriously consider moving from the SOC to the NOC.

Scanlon it is then.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Count Hogula

Quote from: cjack on November 16, 2017, 09:19:12 pm
Scanlon was the quarterback of the Hogs

Yep, transferred from NC State because he wanted to play for a team with a rich football tradition.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: TebowHater on November 16, 2017, 09:47:54 pm
Wow, thanks for link. We still only get a fraction of total revenue generated and if national trends catch up with SEC that fraction will shrink, but good to know current deal we have lasts so long.
Somethingg will take its place.  Maybe Netflix will be offering live games then?  People will not quit being fans and watching their teams.

Jimbob111

Quote from: hog of steele on November 16, 2017, 05:35:17 pm
I would say you are flipped on this. We don't know the AD because most are ok but not great. Just a few really good ADs. They just don't effect the programs as much as coaches. I am afraid we ran a good one and will likely replace him with a mediocre one.

I still can't see why everyone thinks Long was such a great AD. Without Petrino falling into his lap, he'd have been fired for Grobe's or Bowden's or some other medicore coach's losing record half a decade ago.

The only positive thing I've seen from Long was when he was the CFP chairman and brought a lot of attention to the Hogs that way.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

ur

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 16, 2017, 10:11:56 pm
Somethingg will take its place.  Maybe Netflix will be offering live games then?  People will not quit being fans and watching their teams.
Agree. I wish we had created our own network without lib espn. I would gladly pay all of my cable bill to conference networks.

Spektre

Guess people weren't listening when Wally was on DTS the other day. It won't be TT as AD. He just came out and said at a public meeting within the last week that he would love to be the AD at Auburn. If that is true, which lying about something so trivial would be ridiculous in itself... TT just wants an AD job... doesn't matter where. I hope we don't get an AD that still has the coaching itch... last thing we need is someone micromanaging a new coach.

SchrodingersHog

Quote from: TN HOG on November 16, 2017, 09:56:32 pm
My parlay for Razorback AD & HC;
Former Louisville AD Tom Jurich & current Louisville football coach Bobby Petrino.  Just saying....

Maybe Long becomes Louisville's new AD, then he gets to fire Bobby a second time.  I wonder if he would cry again

BadHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 16, 2017, 06:08:13 pm
God, please not Tuberville.

God, please Scanlon.

Agreed. TT can't even keep a catfish restaurant in business.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

bphi11ips

Quote from: potus on November 16, 2017, 08:15:29 pm
Scanlon started out as a securities analyst in 1981 with Merrell Lynch. Moved to Stephens in 1987 and was the chief operating officer of Stephens Sports Management.  he is now the executive vp of their private client group

What do you think Scanlon makes a year at Stephens?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

BadHog

Quote from: RedyorNot on November 16, 2017, 08:12:11 pm
Scanlon makes a lot of sense from multiple perspectives. Understands U of A athletics, great relationships within the Foundation, ability to manage funding at multiple levels. He's my hedge bet-

He also has state wide connections, great speaker - speaks at Razorback club dinners frequently, builds relationships, but can be a hard ass when needed - as in doesn't put up with poor performance - expects to win and succeed on all levels.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

The best article Wally ever wrote was when in 2008 he said the new AD would have a "long" name.

MC_Hog

Quote from: ur on November 16, 2017, 05:59:14 pm
I'm guessing he/she got the Gus stamp of approval?

As long as the new AD fires him in two years after it's a complete failure & if we hire Gus is going to be a failure.

elkhog

Quote from: HogPitBBQ on November 16, 2017, 05:35:20 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Houston Nutt was not getting a strong look. 

Good god NO.
GO HOGS!!!

Oklahawg

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 16, 2017, 09:24:38 pm
I was thinking Gragg might be a good choice, but forgot about that. Any AD who hired that Steve Urkel looking idiot is out in my book!

They didn't spring He Haith Me's buddy Nevin Shapiro of the U. from the federal pen to give him a job at TU did they?

Gragg hiring Heath to TU is amazing. Philip Montgomery was the one non-slimy person at Baylor. Good hire.

Gragg likely won't move up to a P5 school without a "coup" hire or fundraising victory. He is on my radar though.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

mckinneyhog5

It very well could be TT. He's someone older and close to the age where he could retire.. Although, Varday or Scanlon could be easily controlled. To figure out who it is just think 5-6 years in the future and which one will be "retiring" to free the job up for Gus. The next AD is nothing but a placeholder for Gus. I'll ask again, if this plan falls on it's face will the BOT be held responsible?
That's what most people don't understand, the BOT controls everything, including BB's hire. They don't take the heat for anything but they should. They have already hired Gus and if that fails they'll blame the new AD, who didn't have a say in his hiring. The BOT are the one's fans should be mad it.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

azhog10

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 16, 2017, 07:18:53 pm
Then just tell us...
If he told us he'd have a chance of being wrong. This way he can act like he has the inside scoop.

Rzbakfromwaybak

..."strange look"...would be more likely. Hootie is too busy turning down major HC jobs....to be an AD.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HawgTide on November 16, 2017, 05:31:26 pm

Let's be honest, most people can't name 5 AD's in the country. It's a lot easier to get a good AD than a good coach.

Exactly.

AflacHawg

Pretty sure Kevin had a gig back in the day at Rothman and Lowry Advertising in downtown Little Rock. lets see how old some of you pups are.  ;D

Hayduke

Hopefully it's Tuberville. He's the worst announcer on TV, spends the whole game pretending like he was a better coach than the ones on the field.

plumbhog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 16, 2017, 06:44:15 pm
I wouldn't be so quick to take Houston off of the list. They probably want an AD more like Frank Broyles who knows the big money boosters and mingle with them. One who can be persuasive when funding is needed. I'm not saying he's the one but he sure fits the description. Nutt was, after all, Frank's hand picked successor at one time.
Since it's apparently got to be somebody that can work well with Malzahn it's probably gonna be Terry Mohajir.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

moses_007

Quote from: SchrodingersHog on November 16, 2017, 10:24:23 pm
Maybe Long becomes Louisville's new AD, then he gets to fire Bobby a second time.  I wonder if he would cry again
If that happened, Petrino would leave immediately, and I wouldn't blame him.

ToddW

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 16, 2017, 11:37:33 pm
..."strange look"...would be more likely. Hootie is too busy turning down major HC jobs....to be an AD.

Or sueing ole piss
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

Murr

HND as Gus' boss?  ....Again?! That won't work

Hogforlife

lawhawg20

Quote from: hog of steele on November 16, 2017, 05:35:17 pm
I would say you are flipped on this. We don't know the AD because most are ok but not great. Just a few really good ADs. They just don't effect the programs as much as coaches. I am afraid we ran a good one and will likely replace him with a mediocre one.

My thoughts exactly

dmaxfan

Is the A.D. a state employee like the head coach?
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hogmolar

Quote from: Roaringboar on November 16, 2017, 09:16:12 pm
Yeah, but I don't want another buisness guy.....that's what we had with Long.......strictly buisness, that's why the Hogs left Little Rock was his buisness B.S, and that's why we are spending over a hundred million on like 3,000 seats and those ridiculous suites.....I'm not saying it has to be a football guy, but I would much rather have a former football/basketball/baseball coach than I would another corporate person, even if it is an in-stater......
Makes total sense. So you are saying why hire a business guy to run a multi million dollar business?

Potosihog

I had the privilege of meeting Kevin Scanlon when he was QB for the hogs.  I was just a little boy but he treated me like I was the most important person in the room.  He was the first razorback I had ever met in person and that meeting had a big impact on my life as a razorback fan.

Of course with the ups and downs of Razorback football through the years I don't know whether to thank him or blame him  ;)

He seriously has been faithful to the hogs for his lifetime and has the business acumen to boot.  I personally believe he would be a great choice.

TT--still can't get that image out of my mind of the locker room speech about a stinking wet hog and the trouncing we gave his team afterward.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 16, 2017, 10:26:33 pm
What do you think Scanlon makes a year at Stephens?

I thought someone would bite and offer up a guess.  My guess is we can't afford him. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

dmaxfan

Quote from: rtr on November 17, 2017, 07:25:19 am
Yes.

Then that makes him a public employee. Don't know how the U of A can keep the reason of firing Jeff private.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

WilsonHog

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 17, 2017, 07:34:46 am
I thought someone would bite and offer up a guess.  My guess is we can't afford him.

I think the AD's job pays about $1 million a year, plus I imagine Scanlon has managed his money
extremely well.

Lard

Oh I figure he makes over $1MM/year total comp.  I work in the financial industry and my company has a division that does what Scanlon's division does at Stephens.  Guys that have been around in that space at that level for as long as he has make seven figures.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

ipigsooie

My guess is that Warren Stephens makes is worth it.

ricepig

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 17, 2017, 07:43:04 am
I think the AD's job pays about $1 million a year, plus I imagine Scanlon has managed his money
extremely well.

One would hope, since he does that for a living.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 16, 2017, 09:13:19 pm
He's ran a business and knows football.

Everyone's favorite line when I bashed Jeffi was "did Long call the plays??" It's not the AD'd job to be the coach. It's his job to find the right coaches, PROPERLY oversee budgets, build relationships and be low key. If you've got to be in the public eye, you're probably not doing the job everyone thinks you are.....

Wasn't TT sued over said business, a hedge fund of sorts, by investors in the fund?  I believe he settled with them.  Not anti Tuberville at all but I am not sure I would argue his business background is a plus. 

Lady Razorback

Quote from: TebowHater on November 16, 2017, 09:14:49 pm
That's all I mean. We have like $20M in buyouts. Another 5M+ in new coaches contracts.

$120M in stadium debt.

Falling TV revenue.

Main issue I speak of though is just the extra 20-25M we created for ourselves with Long and CBB (+assistants) firings.

Based on the last filing of the Foundation's Form 990 for the year ended December 31, 2015, there were approximately $52 million in net assets/net worth.  We have plenty of funds.  The bonds are of note to me, too, but those are on the University's books.  based upon reviewing the bond statement that Rice so kindly provided it appears there are sufficient revenues to pay these bonds back.  We may have issues in the athletic department but I don't see finances being one of them. 

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Lard on November 17, 2017, 07:46:26 am
Oh I figure he makes over $1MM/year total comp.  I work in the financial industry and my company has a division that does what Scanlon's division does at Stephens.  Guys that have been around in that space at that level for as long as he has make seven figures.

Long's base compensation of approximately $800,000.  He had built in incentives which due to the track program also paid and additional $500,000. 

ricepig

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 17, 2017, 08:00:50 am
Based on the last filing of the Foundation's Form 990 for the year ended December 31, 2015, there were approximately $52 million in net assets/net worth.  We have plenty of funds.  The bonds are of note to me, too, but those are on the University's books.  based upon reviewing the bond statement that Rice so kindly provided it appears there are sufficient revenues to pay these bonds back.  We may have issues in the athletic department but I don't see finances being one of them. 

$74.4m in 2016.

As of June 30 last year, the foundation reported $74.4 million in net assets, up from $52.1 million a year earlier.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/21/irs-files-list-rises-drops-in-ua-gifts-/

The NewEra

I find it amusing that so many believe Scanlon wouldn't be the AD because of compensation.  My guess is those people are either young or never made a lot of money.  There comes a time in some peoples lives when they feel very comfortable financially and they are interested in a new and exciting challenge, or an opportunity to create a lasting legacy.  On top of that, the AD job's compensation isn't going to put anyone in the poor house.  With the position comes a lot of power, influence and prestige.

I suspect it's going to be either Scanlon, Varaday or Trainor. 

Athog

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 16, 2017, 05:26:46 pm
Is he an Arkansas guy or another wannabe business man?

I laugh when I hear Ark guy! Coach Broyles was not an Ar guy in the begining!
What does that have to do with qualifications???

mj4president

How much does Kevin make now?

How much does Julie make?
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 08:06:49 am
$74.4m in 2016.

As of June 30 last year, the foundation reported $74.4 million in net assets, up from $52.1 million a year earlier.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/21/irs-files-list-rises-drops-in-ua-gifts-/

Thanks for the updating.  I looked at the public filings online with the IRS, and they are not as up to date.  I figured that the net assets should have significantly increased simply because the "net income" had been ticking upward each year and for that year ended it was approximately $7 million. 
Anyway, the point is the same right?  We don't have a "financial mess". We have a football coaching mess.