Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

30 years ago. Arkansas vs Arkansas St NIT

Started by Sweet Feet, March 13, 2017, 09:53:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

30 years ago around this time, Arkansas had a thrilling instate matchup against Arkansas St in the NIT coming back from 21 down and winning in OT. What were your memories from this matchup?

Inhogswetrust

March 13, 2017, 10:02:14 am #1 Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:16:49 pm by Inhogswetrust
Why on earth bring that up now? Oops I forgot who I was responding to. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 13, 2017, 09:53:10 am
30 years ago around this time, Arkansas had a thrilling instate matchup against Arkansas St in the NIT coming back from 21 down and winning in OT. What were your memories from this matchup?

Everyone knew that was an important game at the time but none knew how important.  My memories of that night were then as now focused throughout on the long term consequences.  Three decades later I'm still pondering if the national title and Final Fours that came of that ever so close win were really worth the 2 decades that followed without a single team good enough to reach the Sweet 16.  Change a shot in that game and Arkansas Basketball would be unimaginably different today with maybe a few less dusty banners in the rafters but perhaps more happy fans in the stands.

Tusks

Sat on row 1 behind Mike Newell who was at UALR. 

Hope that game never happens again.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Ben

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 13, 2017, 10:02:14 am
Why on earth bring that up now? Oops I forgot who I was referencing..............
You are so corny and sensitive.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Biggus Piggus

That win was all about the system. Arkansas State played maybe six guys tops, Arkansas played a deep rotation of players. The Indians got lots of open shots and took a commanding lead. Then they started to go down. Guys got charlie horses from being dehydrated. They couldn't keep going. It took everything the Razorbacks had to tie the game, but OT was a walkover.

I was sitting on press row, and some guy seated behind me kept yelling "Fire Nolan!" in the second half. At the end, I saw him celebrating the win on the court. I asked him what happened to "Fire Nolan!" He had nothing.

A lot like the way I felt after Arkansas snapped back from the Missouri and Vanderbilt games, I guess.
[CENSORED]!

J-Five

Main thing I remember from this game is how Nolan was already on the hot seat in just his 3rd season, which is pathetic.  Nolan went through so much personally, (daughter died of cancer), and having to endure slurs/racism being one of the very few black coaches at the time.  I'm glad they won that game, because Arkansas probably doesn't win a national title or become the most winning program in the 90s if he gets fired....just my take.
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: J-Five on March 13, 2017, 10:28:04 am
Main thing I remember from this game is how Nolan was already on the hot seat in just his 3rd season, which is pathetic.  Nolan went through so much personally, (daughter died of cancer), and having to endure slurs/racism being one of the very few black coaches at the time.  I'm glad they won that game, because Arkansas probably doesn't win a national title or become the most winning program in the 90s if he gets fired....just my take.

Second season. Even more pathetic. The Arkansas Democrat's Razorback basketball coverage was borderline racist for years. And yet...Wally Hall endures.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 13, 2017, 10:30:32 am
Second season. Even more pathetic. The Arkansas Democrat's Razorback basketball coverage was borderline racist for years. And yet...Wally Hall endures.
Orville Faubus still isn't over that game!

Biggus Piggus

Frank Deford wrote this classic, published in March 1988:

http://www.si.com/vault/1988/03/07/106778870/got-to-do-some-coachin

It was the story of Nolan Richardson, set in the form of a play. Anybody who has never read this, should.

This was very well received, and John Robert Starr of the Democrat absolutely could not stand it. He published a parody that was highly offensive and more than borderline racist. The darn he got away with was appalling.

Starr actually tried to take credit for Arkansas's national championship, claiming that Nolan never would have gotten there had Starr not been behind him, "motivating" him.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Stephan Moore's elbow.

How effective ASU's offense was before the pressure got to them.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 13, 2017, 10:36:42 am

It was the story of Nolan Richardson, set in the form of a play. Anybody who has never read this, should.

This was very well received, and John Robert Starr of the Democrat absolutely could not stand it. He published a parody that was highly offensive and more than borderline racist. The darn he got away with was appalling.

Starr actually tried to take credit for Arkansas's national championship, claiming that Nolan never would have gotten there had Starr not been behind him, "motivating" him.

I flew back to LR from a business trip in Fayetteville on a small plane with Deford after he'd spent his time doing the interviews for the story.  He was a couple of rows behind me and I had no idea at the time why he was on the plane but I did recognize him.  I spoke to him and he told me he had been working on a story on Nolan that he hoped SI would be publishing in the coming weeks.  I remember asking him what he thought of Nolan and he said that Nolan was one of the most interesting persons he had ever met.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

People tend to forget that that was a very, very good ASU team that year.  Probably the best team ASU had ever had up to that point.  Lots of homegrown talent like Wiedower, Goshien, Tate.  They were no pushover.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 13, 2017, 11:02:04 am
People tend to forget that that was a very, very good ASU team that year.  Probably the best team ASU had ever had up to that point.  Lots of homegrown talent like Wiedower, Goshien, Tate.  They were no pushover.

BS.  Well, maybe they were good by ASU standards...  I was there.  That game had nothing to do with ASU's ability.  The Hogs couldn't have beaten an 8th grade church league team in the first half.  They were drunk or stoned or both.    They scored something like 16 points in a half.  Then they sobered up and did what it took to win. 

Biggus Piggus

What was it, 29-20 at halftime? Then ASU went ahead 51-30. In the last 10 minutes or so, Arkansas outscored the Injuns 29-8.

Freshman Ron Huery was a demon on defense in the second half. His energy and the threes he and Whitby made woke up the team.
[CENSORED]!

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

KennyForAD

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 13, 2017, 01:14:51 pm
What was it, 29-20 at halftime? Then ASU went ahead 51-30. In the last 10 minutes or so, Arkansas outscored the Injuns 29-8.

Freshman Ron Huery was a demon on defense in the second half. His energy and the threes he and Whitby made woke up the team.

Yeah.  We had 12 points with 2 minutes left in the first half - if I remember correctly.   THE worst half of college basketball ever.   After that game I sadly admitted that I had to agree with the haters that Nolan would never be able to make a Final Four at Arkansas.   Haha...    God, it was great to be wrong about that one!

PonderinHog

That was excellent, Biggus.  Thanks for the link.  Did Deford win any awards for that?

Pigonometry

I had a friend who was not at the game but was outside Barnhill. He swears that in the second half that Frank came storming out cussing at Nolan.  My friend is convinced that had we lost Frank would have fired Nolan that night. I was at the game and tend to agree. 

I remember standing behind Nelson Catalina while he was bing interred on the radio after the game.  He turns to us ( Hog fans) and said something like "wasn't that fun?  Wouldn't you like to do that every year?" 

Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: KennyForAD on March 13, 2017, 12:54:32 pm
BS.  Well, maybe they were good by ASU standards...  I was there.  That game had nothing to do with ASU's ability.  The Hogs couldn't have beaten an 8th grade church league team in the first half.  They were drunk or stoned or both.    They scored something like 16 points in a half.  Then they sobered up and did what it took to win.

I didn't say ASU was more talented than we were.  They very obviously weren't.  But to call BS on them having a good team that year is BS.  A friend asked me to go to an ASU game with him earlier that year in Jonesboro and, having nothing better to do, I went.  I have no particular affinity or hatred for ASU but I was curious about them because they'd been having a pretty good year and getting some press (which was highly unusual).  What I remember about that game was being impressed with how well coached and disciplined they were, and how their guards could shoot. 

Wolfpride

I have a ticket from that game.  I was in the Hogwild Band.  I had three buddies from A-State grieving me the whole first half and then the come back started.....Stefan Moore elbowed Steve Wiedower in the nose and he was sidelined.  Huery and Whitby started nailing threes...........

I did hear that Broyles was working the phones with boosters at halftime........
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.  And no good thing ever dies"
Andy Dufresne

Sweet Feet

ricepig

Sweet Feet

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 13, 2017, 03:06:19 pm
YouTube lol wasn't hard to find
Looks like it took about 5 hours to find.........

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2017, 03:18:40 pm
Looks like it took about 5 hours to find.........
All you have to do is Type "Arkansas vs Arkansas St" in the search bar. Literally First recommended video lol

KennyForAD

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 13, 2017, 02:24:44 pm
I didn't say ASU was more talented than we were.  They very obviously weren't.  But to call BS on them having a good team that year is BS.  A friend asked me to go to an ASU game with him earlier that year in Jonesboro and, having nothing better to do, I went.  I have no particular affinity or hatred for ASU but I was curious about them because they'd been having a pretty good year and getting some press (which was highly unusual).  What I remember about that game was being impressed with how well coached and disciplined they were, and how their guards could shoot. 

I'm sure you're right.  Was just saying that the Hogs were simply horrible that game, until the end. 

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 13, 2017, 03:25:13 pm
All you have to do is Type "Arkansas vs Arkansas St" in the search bar. Literally First recommended video lol

I guess it took you 5 hours to think to type it, then......

KennyForAD

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 13, 2017, 02:20:31 pm
I had a friend who was not at the game but was outside Barnhill. He swears that in the second half that Frank came storming out cussing at Nolan. My friend is convinced that had we lost Frank would have fired Nolan that night. I was at the game and tend to agree. 

I remember standing behind Nelson Catalina while he was bing interred on the radio after the game.  He turns to us ( Hog fans) and said something like "wasn't that fun?  Wouldn't you like to do that every year?" 

We have twice offended the Basketball Gods.  First, we allowed Frank to absolutely abuse our legendary coach.  Then Captain Integrity removed SlobberHog from the court.  We've been paying for our offenses for a quarter century.  We've addressed our first sin.  But we still have to get SlobberHog back before we will be absolved.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2017, 03:40:28 pm
I guess it took you 5 hours to think to type it, then......
Really showing your age my friend :D

Hogball

I was there.  2 rows behind the Razorbacks bench.  When we were behind I yelled at Nolan to stop yelling at the refs and try to be a coach...

I am ashamed at how I acted...

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hogball on March 13, 2017, 08:02:56 pm
I was there.  2 rows behind the Razorbacks bench.  When we were behind I yelled at Nolan to stop yelling at the refs and try to be a coach...

I am ashamed at how I acted...

Don't be!  He may have heard you, realized you were right, and re dedicated himself to coaching the right way at that very moment.

You, sir, changed the course of Razorback history.  Well done!

Hogball

Oh --He heard me--I will never forget the stare he gave me..

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hogball on March 13, 2017, 08:17:53 pm
Oh --He heard me--I will never forget the stare he gave me..
Did you read the Deford play that Biggus linked.  You hit a lot closer to home than you may realize.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 13, 2017, 08:09:21 pm
Don't be!  He may have heard you, realized you were right, and re dedicated himself to coaching the right way at that very moment.

You, sir, changed the course of Razorback history.  Well done!

Hogball was the "butterfly flapping its wings" which led to this... 

Hogball

Thanks    That makes me feel better--I have always wanted to apologize to Nolan.

Sow Lancelot

It was the story of Nolan Richardson, set in the form of a play.
I still have this issue in a box somewhere.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Hogball on March 13, 2017, 08:42:13 pm
Thanks    That makes me feel better--I have always wanted to apologize to Nolan.

The great thing about this is that you are not alone.  We probably all owed Nolan an apology at some level.  But its all good with Nolan now.  He knows we love him.  ... and what's even better is that no one wants to apologize to Houston Nutt.  Haha!    Its all good. 

PonderinHog

March 13, 2017, 09:26:20 pm #40 Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:46:04 pm by PonderinHog
Quote from: KennyForAD on March 13, 2017, 08:58:22 pm
The great thing about this is that you are not alone.  We probably all owed Nolan an apology at some level.  But its all good with Nolan now.  He knows we love him.  ... and what's even better is that no one wants to apologize to Houston Nutt.  Haha!    Its all good.
Houston, I'm sorry you got hired as the head coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.   I feel better now, having apologized.

Jackrabbit Hog

I feel I should apologize to ricepig.  I told some folks the other day that he ain't fit to sleep with dogs.  Deep down, I know he is.

KennyForAD

I apologize to NolanForAD, for letting him die before his time.

PonderinHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on March 13, 2017, 09:47:47 pm
I apologize to NolanForAD, for letting him die before his time.
That was tragic.   Hope it wasn't anything serious.

KennyForAD

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 13, 2017, 09:48:59 pm
That was tragic.   Hope it wasn't anything serious.

He's in a better place now.   But he was never all that serious.

PonderinHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on March 13, 2017, 09:50:53 pm
He's in a better place now.   But he was never all that serious.
It was probably the absinthe talkin'.

KennyForAD

NFAD was a jab at Frank, and oh...how the Frank and Nutt people hated NFAD.  They HATED him.   In those years, people would freely hate on poor NFAD just for his name - just for showing some support for Nolan Richardson.  It was great - and awful at the same time.  But the Nolan haters all went away and crawled back in their holes, and everyone started loving Nolan, as we all should have all along.  Then Frank went away too, and NFAD's work was done.   NolanForAD means nothing to Captain Integrity, does it?   Carpetbagger Jeff Long doesn't even know enough about us to understand what NFAD meant.    But KENNY!   See, Kenny Hatfield really does have integrity.  And the difference between 'Captain Integrity" and real integrity should be obvious to these idiots that think Long is about 'integrity"  ...   Anyway, where's that darned Fairy?

DeltaBoy

We watched it was shocked the Hogs came back and won cause ASU had their best team in the decade.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.