Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State, UCA to Play Again in 2021

Started by Seminole Indian, February 03, 2017, 02:35:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on March 01, 2017, 08:48:48 pm
The same exact thing. An opponent you should beat the vast majority of the time. And yes, without risking losing any fans. True fans never change, so why even worry about a Sun Belt team taking your fans as an SEC program? I think way too highly of the hogs to have this irrational mindset when it comes to playing instate teams. Do you think we would lose fans playing UCA and UAPB also?

You never know, and if you don't play, you don't have to worry about it. We have lots of alums of other in-state schools who are big Hog fans, no need to change that. If you have a monopoly, no need to change it because some fan wishes to watch them play a game, lol.

HogCzar1

Quote from: Ben on March 01, 2017, 11:48:28 am
Its either ASU has only a handful of fans, or they have enough to split an SEC fanbase. Which one is it? Thats another hypocritical point by our fanbase. Highly doubt there are tons of ASU fans/grads that would hurt the integrity, fanbase and revenue of the Hogs. Even if that exaggerated amount of asu fans were hog fans, you mean to tell me they cant split for 1 game? Not a season or a lifetime, ONE GAME.

This fear of ASU is just irrational and nobody can give a valid reason why its a good idea not to play them, when other schools do the same with instate opponents and still win bigtime bowl games.

Ben, I have answered this several times in lengthy essays. If you would like you can search the database. If you would like, I can send it to you. The reason that you and the ASU fanatics want to play UA is to grow the ASU program by peeling off UA support.... financial support by major individual and corporate donors within the state. Otherwise there is nothing to gain for ASU. ASU officials would love for major donors to the UA program to split those or to change alliances. By playing ASU, fans who support both schools are required to pick one or the other. There are many ASU fans who get furious when they learn anyone in NE Arkansas supports both. If you cant see that you aren't looking very hard. If a current major corporate donor decides that if the schools started playing, that they couldn't choose sides, then how in the world does that help UA. It doesn't.

And, are you going to argue that if the schools start playing that ASU wouldnt use that in recruiting instate players? Why would that help UA?

What you are unable to argue is what value playing ASU has to the UA?

As I said, it has not hurt the UA to have their instate policy. And, yes, if they played UAPB or UCA there could be financial consequences.

In general, from a business decision, playing ASU offers zero value while incurring a financial risk. Whether you like it, or not, or whether you want to call that cowardly or whatever....that's the bottom line. A CEO of any business is not going to engage in any policy that offers zero reward for some degree of potential risk to your donor base.

holeinthewall

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 08:58:11 pm
You never know, and if you don't play, you don't have to worry about it. We have lots of alums of other in-state schools who are big Hog fans, no need to change that. If you have a monopoly, no need to change it because some fan wishes to watch them play a game, lol.

I'm wouldn't say the Hogs have a Monopoly on the state.  There are as many fans of other teams in Arkansas as there are Hog fans.  They have a monopoly of the media but honestly who looks at newspapers or local news any more for sports coverage.  Driving around you see LSU, Bama, Texas, OU and just about every other school represented either on cars or people wearing the colors.

ricepig

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 02, 2017, 06:52:34 am
I'm wouldn't say the Hogs have a Monopoly on the state.  There are as many fans of other teams in Arkansas as there are Hog fans.  They have a monopoly of the media but honestly who looks at newspapers or local news any more for sports coverage.  Driving around you see LSU, Bama, Texas, OU and just about every other school represented either on cars or people wearing the colors.

Link to proof there are more fans of other team's? Drive around Jonesboro and tell me who has the majority of plates, front and rear? And no, St Louis Cardinals don't count, lol. 

holeinthewall

I was saying total fans of other teams combined.  At times there is more LSU around than anything

ricepig

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 02, 2017, 10:03:40 am
I was saying total fans of other teams combined.  At times there is more LSU around than anything

Where, Junction City, Dermott?  Add up the capacity of all the other schools stadiums, I doubt it equals RRS.

Ben

Quote from: HogCzar1 on March 01, 2017, 09:57:00 pm

Ben, I have answered this several times in lengthy essays. If you would like you can search the database. If you would like, I can send it to you. The reason that you and the ASU fanatics want to play UA is to grow the ASU program by peeling off UA support.... financial support by major individual and corporate donors within the state. Otherwise there is nothing to gain for ASU. ASU officials would love for major donors to the UA program to split those or to change alliances. By playing ASU, fans who support both schools are required to pick one or the other. There are many ASU fans who get furious when they learn anyone in NE Arkansas supports both. If you cant see that you aren't looking very hard. If a current major corporate donor decides that if the schools started playing, that they couldn't choose sides, then how in the world does that help UA. It doesn't.

And, are you going to argue that if the schools start playing that ASU wouldnt use that in recruiting instate players? Why would that help UA?

What you are unable to argue is what value playing ASU has to the UA?

As I said, it has not hurt the UA to have their instate policy. And, yes, if they played UAPB or UCA there could be financial consequences.

In general, from a business decision, playing ASU offers zero value while incurring a financial risk. Whether you like it, or not, or whether you want to call that cowardly or whatever....that's the bottom line. A CEO of any business is not going to engage in any policy that offers zero reward for some degree of potential risk to your donor base.
thats not my reason i want to see UA and ASU play. You are putting words in my mouth. I want to see them play because they are our only two FBS teams in the state. I atleast wanna see that matchup. I dont care who wins or loses.

Weither its a business move or not, its an irrational one. OU's program hasn't suffered playing Tulsa, Wvu hasn't suffered playing marshall, LSU hasn't suffered playing the other instate FBS/FCS teams, and Missouri isn't gojng to suffer playing missouri state this season. This fear/precaution of ASU is just blown out of proportion. No other FBS program has our mindset when it comes to playing instate teams, even the ones more successful as a program than us. We are an SEC school who thinks an instate sun belt/fcs team is gonna steal our revenue and fans by simply playing...lol Shows how confident some of our fans are in the program.

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on March 03, 2017, 09:51:13 pm
thats not my reason i want to see UA and ASU play. You are putting words in my mouth. I want to see them play because they are our only two FBS teams in the state. I atleast wanna see that matchup. I dont care who wins or loses.

Weither its a business move or not, its an irrational one. OU's program hasn't suffered playing Tulsa, Wvu hasn't suffered playing marshall, LSU hasn't suffered playing the other instate FBS/FCS teams, and Missouri isn't gojng to suffer playing missouri state this season. This fear/precaution of ASU is just blown out of proportion. No other FBS program has our mindset when it comes to playing instate teams, even the ones more successful as a program than us. We are an SEC school who thinks an instate sun belt/fcs team is gonna steal our revenue and fans by simply playing...lol Shows how confident some of our fans are in the program.

No other school has a Razorback as a mascot, should we try and change that?  Just because two other schools in another state play each other, doesn't mean anything to our situation. We don't need them, they don't need us, we both seem happy, except for you.

You say "we" when you refer the the Razorbacks, but then say I don't care who wins? Agenda showing???

(notOM)Rebel123

It's pretty simple...if the UofA schedules ASU, they (ASU) will never be satisfied until it becomes a "Home & Home" series. Let's say they play at RRS for several years. It won't be long before ASU cries about the ticket allocation. After a few years, tshey'll throw a fit to move the game to WMS and split the ticket allocation "50-50" and the UofA cover the stadium rental  etc. After a few of years of playing in LR, they'll want to play in J'boro. It could ultimately cost the Hogs another home game every other year. Don't let the camel get his nose under the the edge of the tent.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HogCzar1

Quote from: Ben on March 03, 2017, 09:51:13 pm

1. Your comparisons are apples to oranges. All of them.
2. I don't buy for a second the statement that you don't care who would win a game between ASU and UA. Come on.
3. You asked for someone to give you a valid reason why the two shouldn't play. I offered it, even though you don't agree with it.
4. When you describe a decision that a CEO makes when he refuses an offer that provides his company no value while incurring risk as one that is "irrational", then that exposes your true bias.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber