Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marty out of The Huddle?

Started by kratter, July 06, 2006, 11:22:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kratter

Did I hear right, that Mighty Marty Houston is leaving "The Huddle"?
May have already been posted but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Aim for Greatness, you'll reach Greatness at best, Mediocrity at worst.
Aim for Mediocrity, you'll reach Mediocrity at best, Failure at worst.
-Kratter, 2004

Chuck Porker

Marty is out and will be on with Chuck tonight. Hopefully we will hear at least one side of this.

No more local sports while I am driving,thanks to those headless dicks at Fairys Broadcasting. They probably hired some consultants who recommended we hear more from the geldings in Central Arkansas.

Spit on Tommy, David, Wally, Randy and Rick and the Pulaski county throng.

Bring back Ernie, Marty and Scott and their coverage of anything sportswise in a 100 mile radius.
At least Scott was usually on our side criticizing Nuttcakes.

CP

Swino

Quote from: Chuck Porker on July 07, 2006, 01:40:38 am
Marty is out and will be on with Chuck tonight. Hopefully we will hear at least one side of this.

No more local sports while I am driving,thanks to those headless dicks at Fairys Broadcasting. They probably hired some consultants who recommended we hear more from the geldings in Central Arkansas.

Bring back Ernie, Marty and Scott and their coverage of anything sportswise in a 100 mile radius.

CP

From what I understand, it was Marty's decision.  He is persuing something else.  Scott and Marty both post here so I'm sure one of them will clarify this for you.

Chuck Porker

Quote from: Swino on July 07, 2006, 07:44:32 am

CP

From what I understand, it was Marty's decision.  He is persuing something else.  Scott and Marty both post here so I'm sure one of them will clarify this for you.

CP

I hope so. I was one of the original listeners and got canned for saying sh1t about Brashears on air.

Pharis has really screwed up local sports talk in the rivervalley.
I tried to listen to the SportsHog driving to work this AM and they were talking about different eras of rock and not about sports.
I switched back to NPR and took the SportsHog off my stored stations. Never again.
Sorry to rant
Thanks for the info.

CP

MCPeePants

Spit on Tommy, David, Wally...

Do those guys even talk about sports? Every time I flip over to "The Show With No Name" (i.e. when Press Row goes to commercial) they're either talking about music or boobies.

HoggerNocker

CP

From another thread...

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 06, 2006, 07:51:24 pm
Quote from: Hogmania on July 06, 2006, 07:15:16 pm
Did Chucky get fired?  I hear that our noon time dude said he was gone today. What is up with that?  Was Marty Houston canned?

Chuck was not fired. Neither was Marty Houston.

Marty is leaving Equity Broadcasting. His final day is Friday, July 7. So that'll be his final Huddle. Marty is going to work for Mission Broadcasting. He'll be working on their Fox channel in FS and NWA.

Mission bought KFTA 24 from Nexstar, the parent company of KNWA...

http://www.nexstar.tv/news_releases/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=232

Wooisme

I may be mistaken but I believe that Bill Pharis sold his television interests (Fox & UPN) in Fort Smith etal several years ago. 

He (Pharis) still has ownership in several radio stations (as far as I know).  Could be wrong, though.  Maybe we can get Marty to fill us in....
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

hogsanity

Bill sold Fox and Upn to Equity Broadcasting years ago.  24/51 is going to split.  Right now they are 24/51 both NBC.  In early fall 24 will become a FOX affil.  What that will do to 46/50 I dont know, but Marty has moved to 24 from what I hear. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NoMoreNutt

So who will replace Marty on the Huddle... Maybe they can call a great sports mind... oh yeah... Call me... I'll take the job
"Gabriel's trumpet will produce you from the ass of a pig!"- Al Swearengen

hogsanity

I bet Marty is the only local sports talkshow guy who has been a life line on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  My wife was on there back in 200 and used him ( although she never made it to the hot seat.  She used to work with him at 46 back in the 90's.  I hope he enjoys his new gig.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NoMoreNutt

So the Huddle is cancelled now? No more Huddle... That sucks....

Wooisme

Scott is absolutely right.

How can you not like Marty???  What you see is what you get...a nice guy who is NOT (nor does he claim to be) a hard-core sports journalist.
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

NoMoreNutt

Thats another bad news for the Australian station known as FOX. They have no HD in the area and they are horrible. I hate the BCS is now on FOX.... The Huddle is now gone and sorry FOX coverage of BCS just upset me... DAMN AUSSIES!!!!

blake

I enjoyed listening to your show Marty. I hope you and your family the best.

hogsanity

Quote from: NoMoreNutt on July 07, 2006, 01:08:09 pm
Thats another bad news for the Australian station known as FOX. They have no HD in the area and they are horrible. I hate the BCS is now on FOX.... The Huddle is now gone and sorry FOX coverage of BCS just upset me... DAMN AUSSIES!!!!

46 will not be the Fox Affil come fall, and 24 either already is HD or will be shortly thereafter. 

HogKong

Marty, thank you for the great show, I enjoyed it.

I now apologize for calling you 6 years ago, and saying you had mustard on your shirt when you really didn't! ;D

You looked and I laughed.  I am truly sorry, you were a great host!!!

razorbackdan

Quote from: hogsanity on July 07, 2006, 12:33:04 pm
I bet Marty is the only local sports talkshow guy who has been a life line on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  My wife was on there back in 200 and used him ( although she never made it to the hot seat.  She used to work with him at 46 back in the 90's.  I hope he enjoys his new gig.

She must not have wanted to win any money if she used Marty as a lifeline. Take 10 football games on an average Fall Saturday and I'd take Clucko the Chicken from Sportsline over Marty to place my bets.

hogsanity

Quote from: Haight Ashbury on July 07, 2006, 01:35:24 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on July 07, 2006, 12:33:04 pm

She liked Marty.  She could not use me because I was with her in Ny, and my dad would have been her best sports life line, but she was using him for math/science/history questions.  Marty had a blast with it even though he did not get on.

She must not have wanted to win any money if she used Marty as a lifeline. Take 10 football games on an average Fall Saturday and I'd take Clucko the Chicken from Sportsline over Marty to place my bets.