Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A wild notion about Frank Broyles just crossed my mind

Started by Albert Einswine, July 06, 2006, 08:05:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

What if the two year pass and the restraint shown during the Nebraska episode and LSU flirtation have only been a clever ploy by Frank to show potential coaching candidates that he's a changed man?

Because of the Holtz,  Hatfield and Crowe situations,  he had garnered quite the national reputation for meddling and has been seen by the college football world (allegedly) in a negative light.

So,  potentially,   the sly old fox has for these last years shown much patience and longsuffering so as to mollify his critics and allay the fears of potential candidates for the job.

What do y'all think of my little theory?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

southeasthog

three

Intriguing notion, but it is false.  My grandfather has been doing work with Frank in the television industry for 30 years, my father has met with him on more than one occasion.  When my dad took a job running a TV station in Tucson, AZ, he met with the Arizona brass.  Once they discovered he had ties to Arkansas, and knew Frank Broyles personally, they wanted to know all about how he marketed the UA.  It's bizarre to us who see the program marketed poorly,  but to those outside of Arkansas, Frank Broyles is a god among men in the Athletic Directorial world.  The people at Arizona, Arizona St., and Virginia have all echoed the same sentiment, tell me how Broyles does it, we want ot do the same thing!!!

Seems strange to me, but I'm not an AD.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Factual Fiction

I once saw Frank Broyles buying fried chicken at Wal-Mart.

pignatious

No, Frank has just found somebody that makes him feel special. He doesn't want to part with his precious. The right amount of butt kissing is hard to find. Plus, he doesn't want to admit he may not have hired the best guy for the job. See Stan Heath.
Freedom is never free.

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: Factual Fiction on July 06, 2006, 08:54:27 pm
But he is eating Crow with the hiring of Dale ;]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

rlamb

One can tell this is a slack time for such a post to be thought up.  It could be actually the direct opposite in that Frank has lost enough interest in football to say hey, I didn't hire this simpleton,  it was because of White and the so called select committee that hired this moron so I'll just let everybody bake
in the mediocrity and sub par performance that is Nutt Football.

Pork Twain

I wouldn't mind see him bring in a Spurrier, Richt, Pete C, Stoops type of coach.  That type of coach could turn the program around because...
1.  They have done it before
2.  They will get players on their name alone
3.  Their name will bring respect with it
4.  They have shown that they are willing to change with the times

You just have to hope they don't turn out to be another Ford.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Factual Fiction

Quote from: PIGINAPOKE on July 06, 2006, 09:05:21 pm
Quote from: Factual Fiction on July 06, 2006, 08:54:27 pm
But he is eating Crow with the hiring of Dale ;]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

and Stan

Albert Einswine

Quote from: rlamb on July 06, 2006, 09:15:51 pm
One can tell this is a slack time for such a post to be thought up. 

It's a slack time to be sure,  but really I'm just scratching and clawing to come up with any reason why Dale is still here after the last 2 seasons.

I need hope that there's an end to this nightmare!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Oklahawg

I don't think its a stretch, given what the common fan (You and I) know about the situation. Those with insider scoop may have reason to disagree and that's fine.

JFB has a model for hiring coaches. It has worked more times than it has failed. It worked with:
Debriyn
McDonnell
Holtz
Sutton
Richardson
Van Horn

It worked with only modest success with Hatfield.

Crowe? Sacrificial Lamb.

Kines? Never a serious candidate to be full-time.

Ford? Nope.

Heath and Nutt? Might still be a Hatfield. Heck, they still could be a raving success. Better than Crowe, Kines and probably Ford, depending on 2006-07.

The model isn't perfect, but it has merit. The worst part about it is the trend away from brilliance, save the hiring of Van Horn, which is sheer brilliance.

That model is why I don't think Bill Self or Butch Davis would ever be offered the job from this moment forward.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

V. V. Hawg

Nice theory.  But, with the coaches that have been available over that time, Frank would have somebody else if he truely wanted a change.  I think he wants Nutt to replace him and let him hire a Holtz type like he did.  At Franks age, I don't think he cares what anybody thinks of him.  I just can't figure out how Nutt is still here though!

DriveByHogger

I think some folks are forgetting that Coach Broyles had no part in hiring HDN.  If he had his way we would have had Tuberville.  I think Hatfield caught JFB flatfooted and Crowe was all that he could get at that time of the year.  Ford actually was outside of JFB's M.O. of hiring up and comers having won a MNC at Clemson. Those of you who can't understand that JFB has a great rep outside the state must have your blinders on. The man is considered to be one of the greats, a true legend in collegiate athletics, and rightfully so in my opinion.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

dana caldwell

frank was concerned about the nebraska deal, but furious over the LSU thing. they weren't acts.

silvertip

Quote from: V. V. Hawg on July 06, 2006, 11:26:53 pm
Nice theory.  But, with the coaches that have been available over that time, Frank would have somebody else if he truely wanted a change.  I think he wants Nutt to replace him and let him hire a Holtz type like he did.  At Franks age, I don't think he cares what anybody thinks of him.  I just can't figure out how Nutt is still here though!

Agree. JFB could have canned HDN after last season & still have demonstrated enough patience. We are now into the JFB wants Nutt here and screw what anyone thinks territory.

I think HDN is better suited to be an AD than a HC. My worry about that is, with HDN's ego, I fear he might want some more FB coaches with HDN/JFB obsession with the running game. Just to prove that HDN the FB coach was right all along.

HatfieldHog

Gentleman, this thread's theory could be correct.  Even if it is not the underlying reason for the great patience of Broyles, it does convey the same effect.  He is becomming known for his patience with Nutt.

I, for one, think that Broyles has been a tremendous asset for Arkansas. Our facilities are among the best in all of America, mostly due to Broyles work.  But, and this is a huge Butt!  I think that Broyles has gotten to the place that he should retire.  He has lost contact with the "world of today."  His, secrecy attitude, just won't work in this information glut society.  His failure to connect with message boards such as this one is proof enough.  If Broyles, or another person from the AD, would just go onto this and other sites once a week, and make some statement of progress, or what's going on up on the hill, it would endear him many, many fans and influance points.
     Can you imagine if Broyles would come on and just tell a little story of the conversation around the coffee pot last week, humorous or not, it would be recieved as a "connection" point with the people, and I think, a very positive move by "Our" AD!  I don't think that Broyles, at his age, can really understand the importance of communication in the world of today!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

charlie harper

He's meddling more than ever.
He's choosing bball coaches for heath, after making him write essays.
He's forcing high school coaches on nutt.
No, franks' rep for meddling is at an all time high.

ThrowitDeep!

Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 07, 2006, 10:02:08 am
Gentleman, this thread's theory could be correct.  Even if it is not the underlying reason for the great patience of Broyles, it does convey the same effect.  He is becoming known for his patience with Nutt.

I, for one, think that Broyles has been a tremendous asset for Arkansas. Our facilities are among the best in all of America, mostly due to Broyles work.  But, and this is a huge Butt!  I think that Broyles has gotten to the place that he should retire.  He has lost contact with the "world of today."  His, secrecy attitude, just won't work in this information glut society.  His failure to connect with message boards such as this one is proof enough.  If Broyles, or another person from the AD, would just go onto this and other sites once a week, and make some statement of progress, or what's going on up on the hill, it would endear him many, many fans and influence points.
     Can you imagine if Broyles would come on and just tell a little story of the conversation around the coffee pot last week, humorous or not, it would be received as a "connection" point with the people, and I think, a very positive move by "Our" AD!  I don't think that Broyles, at his age, can really understand the importance of communication in the world of today!

See ya

I believe if we listen, we get reports from Frank.  The old fashion way through conversation. 
A man in his position shouldn't let everyone in on the goings of the university.  Like any business it is full of ongoing successes and failures.  To publicly address the failures of any organization would not be wise for recruiting or hiring, especially for a non-elected position.  Frank I'm sure has made mistakes.  But no one has done a better job than Frank has done as AD.  People say its time for him to go, maybe, but maybe not.  He may still have one more ace up his sleeve that no one else could pull off.  Regardless he will leave a legacy that will be impossible to duplicate. 
If someone can do it better than Frank lookout, we are going to be unbelievable at that point.    

Jim Harris

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 06, 2006, 08:05:52 pm
What if the two year pass and the restraint shown during the Nebraska episode and LSU flirtation have only been a clever ploy by Frank to show potential coaching candidates that he's a changed man?

Because of the Holtz,  Hatfield and Crowe situations,  he had garnered quite the national reputation for meddling and has been seen by the college football world (allegedly) in a negative light.

So,  potentially,   the sly old fox has for these last years shown much patience and longsuffering so as to mollify his critics and allay the fears of potential candidates for the job.

you're assuming Frank would have ever thought he needed to change. And hell would freeze over before he had that thought.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Pork Twain

July 07, 2006, 10:38:38 am #19 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:44:03 am by Superhog1975
I really think it is unfair to criticize JFB because he doesn't log onto fan boards and listen to the fans bitch about his every move.  I think the fans need to just let Frank be Frank, because he is not going to change for anyone.

Someone needs to choose coaches for SH.
Someone needed to force HDN to hire a OC since he wasn't going to do it on his own.  HDN should be happy he still has his job, because the old JFB would have not given him a two year pass.  I mean, HDN was forced on JFB after all, right???

How would it have looked for the prospective coaches if JFB fired HDN for the 2nd losing season that he, JFB, predicted would happen???  Would you want to work for a boss that said, "I know you are not going to do very well the next couple of years but I will let you have that time."  Then he fired you at the end of those tow years.  HDN is fair game from here on out because his two year pass is up in JFB eyes.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

RazorRaider

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 06, 2006, 08:05:52 pm

So,  potentially,   the sly old fox has for these last years shown much patience and longsuffering so as to mollify his critics and allay the fears of potential candidates for the job.

I might would buy into that theory if Frank hadn't given Nutt that contract extension last season. I am more convinced now than ever that Frank has found his ultimate "Yes man" and is not willing to let him go so easily. :)
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

Pork Twain

I disagree with the possibility of Frank sticking with HDN because he is a great yes man.  JFB has never shown us any reason to doubt that he wants to win in every sport.  I seriously doubt he keep HDN around and continue losing just because HDN says things JFB likes to hear.  I think that saying things like that indicates you don't care to put forth any effort to actually include any sort of facts in your post but you are more than happy just taking pot shots here and there.

hogmary

Contract extensions aren't worth the paper they are written on.  Sorta like "I'm behind him 100%".
He said 2 years...let's see what happens this year.  Frank didn't choose either Heath or Nutt...those are in the lap of White and his search committees.  I believe Frank knows exactly who he wants to hire when/if those two are gone, for whatever reason.  I don't think there will be any more search committees. 

Swynler Durden

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 07, 2006, 12:18:15 pm
I disagree with the possibility of Frank sticking with HDN because he is a great yes man. JFB has never shown us any reason to doubt that he wants to win in every sport.  I seriously doubt he keep HDN around and continue losing just because HDN says things JFB likes to hear.  I think that saying things like that indicates you don't care to put forth any effort to actually include any sort of facts in your post but you are more than happy just taking pot shots here and there.
What did you make of it when JFB publicly endorsed HDN as the man for the job even as our season was crumbling around us last year?
??? ???

RazorRaider

Ok fact #1- He gave Nutt a two year pass. Which gave Houston a perfect excuse to do next to nothing in the 04 and 05 seasons.

Fact #2 During teh season last year (which was already looking subpar and turned out to be terrible) Frank gave Houston a contract extension  until I believe the 2011 season. At one time I would have argued with anyone that said Frank Broyles did not care about winning. But lately I have had to ask myself why on earth would he put up with Houston and his underachieving.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

Pork Twain

July 07, 2006, 12:34:50 pm #25 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:36:54 pm by Superhog1975
I think Frank stuck by HDN because Frank was teh one that was quoted by multiple media sources saying the last two years were going to be rough for the UofA.  The only people that seem to forget that are disgruntled fans.

I think Frank has stuck by both coaches more as a PR thing than a faith thing.

**With HDN he is showing the world that he will stick by his coach win, lose, or draw.  If HDN should fail this year or next he will be gone and we will have our pick of coaches without them worrying about JFB shitcanning them after multiple winning seasons.

**With Stan he is showing the world and all of its recruits that the UofA is not a bunch of racist hillbillies.  How could we be we hired a black coach to replace a black coach.

RazorRaider

I can see what you are saying about Heath. I think it would be from fear of being accused of rascism and to be honest Heath could make a case if it came down to it. Even though I don't think that would be the reason he would ever be fired.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

Swynler Durden

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 07, 2006, 12:34:50 pm

**With HDN he is showing the world that he will stick by his coach win, lose, or draw.  If HDN should fail this year or next he will be gone and we will have our pick of coaches without them worrying about JFB shitcanning them after multiple winning seasons.

**With Stan he is showing the world and all of its recruits that the UofA is not a bunch of racist hillbillies.  How could we be we hired a black coach to replace a black coach.
Say what you want about Heath but he has steadily improved each season he has been here. Sometimes not by much but improved nonetheless in adjusting to being HC in a big-time conference. Coaches are hard to fire so long as their win percentages are going up every year.That brings us to HDN. How have we improved since his arrival? So many are quick to point out that things were worse in the years prior to his arrival. Yes they were, but barely. Has he shown improvment on a consistant level? I'm sure his skills at pick-up basketball have improved exponentially but our NC under construction has fallen by the wayside. Now we "just need to get back to a bowl."             :puke: