Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA to open basketball season with UConn

Started by fire_hog, July 06, 2006, 02:08:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fire_hog

UCA, continuing to do what the U of A fails to do, set higher goals and strive for something better. The boys on the hill could learn a thing or two from ole Lu Hardin.

http://ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=6&article=1373
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

LA HAWG

hogfan064

We played UConn last year.  I'm sorry, but Arkansas isn't going to play UConn unless they come to Fayetteville also. 

With that said.  Fire Stan Heath!!

Hawgzilla

Quote from: fire_hog on July 06, 2006, 02:08:27 pm
UCA, continuing to do what the U of A fails to do, set higher goals and strive for something better. The boys on the hill could learn a thing or two from ole Lu Hardin.

Show me the money............

The real Hogules

That's nothing more than getting paid to let someone kick your @$$!
Get real, tell UCA to play an SEC schedule (including a game against the NCAAT champions), as well as a preseason tournament with games against UCONN, Maryland, and Kansas and THEN come talk schedule smack!
Sheesh!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

gohogs

Atreyu

1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

noprayerfornutt

fire_hog

You guys are completely missing my point. Of course the Hogs are much better in all respects than the Bears on both the court and field, and yes, I realize we played UConn last year.

My point is UCA is becoming a major player regionally, both for regular students and quality athletes. Both their football team and basketball team are competitive every year, and that is not a coincidence. Lu Hardin and company have taken the Bears into a position where they are quietly becoming better than State in almost every measurable quality, making them the undisputed #2 sports school in AR. If the cluster on the hill continues for many more years, people (especially in central Arkansas) will start to realize they have an alternative to the Ringling Bros. show we've got now.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

HamShank

Quote from: fire_hog on July 06, 2006, 03:00:06 pm
You guys are completely missing my point. Of course the Hogs are much better in all respects than the Bears on both the court and field, and yes, I realize we played UConn last year.

My point is UCA is becoming a major player regionally, both for regular students and quality athletes. Both their football team and basketball team are competitive every year, and that is not a coincidence. Lu Hardin and company have taken the Bears into a position where they are quietly becoming better than State in almost every measurable quality, making them the undisputed #2 sports school in AR. If the cluster on the hill continues for many more years, people (especially in central Arkansas) will start to realize they have an alternative to the Ringling Bros. show we've got now.

+1 for you.

ballhog™

Maybe we should admire UAPB too?

UCA is a player for athletes that can't cut it in D1.  They make the most of their role, but the fact they schedule a major team doesn't make me believe we should model our athletic program after them.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

chiefsfan

you cant call a team which isnt even division 1 yet, the undisputed #2 school in the state.  Right now all they are getting is a bunch of players who werent recruited by D1 schools.

They are on the right track though, in addition to playing @ UCONN this year, they are also about to set a deal up with Gonzaga.   Since they cant play in the postseason for a few years, might as well play some top 10 schools to gain National attention

I wish ASU would do this occasionally...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

LA HAWG

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 06, 2006, 04:31:55 pm

you cant call a team which isnt even division 1 yet, the undisputed #2 school in the state.  Right now all they are getting is a bunch of players who werent recruited by D1 schools.

They are on the right track though, in addition to playing @ UCONN this year, they are also about to set a deal up with Gonzaga.   Since they cant play in the postseason for a few years, might as well play some top 10 schools to gain National attention

I don't think anyone notices the cupcakes that top 10 teams play.  I mean the teams Arkansas used to play in NonCon did not get any national attention except maybe a mention of the score on SC.

TulsaHogFan

Atreyu

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 06, 2006, 04:31:55 pm

They are on the right track though, in addition to playing @ UCONN this year, they are also about to set a deal up with Gonzaga.   Since they cant play in the postseason for a few years, might as well play some top 10 schools to gain National attention

Chris Smith and Kit Coleman (Blytheville) signed with UCA, and I believe both were recruited by Vanderbilt and numerous other D1 schools...
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

RazorHawg16

Something to think about is UCA has the balls to step up to the plate and actually try to be as good as the razorbacks. That is something that ASU will never have.

Hogz87

If UCA keeps this up and can continue to be competitive they will become second best D-1 program in the state.  For one, Conway is much more attractive then Jonesboro, and for basketball purposes they can always sell that Scottie Pippen played for them.

RazorHawg16

If they end up being as good as Arkansas in some sports i will have to cheer for two teams.

Hogz87

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on July 06, 2006, 04:53:44 pm
If they end up being as good as Arkansas in some sports i will have to cheer for two teams.

Same here.  I don't think we have to worry about that happening anytime soon though.  Maybe when we're old and gray.

killamon

July 06, 2006, 05:11:29 pm #19 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 05:13:25 pm by killamon

dude...you dont think the Razorbacks being in the Maui tournament was not an attempt to compete with national powerhouses???  We played in a tournament with UCONN, Kansas, Maryland, Gonzaga.  If thats not an attempt to strive for better, then i dunno what is.  Now Heath has scheduled games for the next couple seasons against Texas and is working on a couple more....Maybe you just forgot, i dunno, but saying UA can learn a thing or two from UCA has to be the dumbest sh*t i've ever heard

THROWITDEEP

I wonder if John Thompson set this deal up with Uconn?

SoonerPride

Saying the U of A could learn some stuff from UCA is ridiculous.  This is a good way for UCA to get some exposure and what better way than to play a national power to start the season?

fire_hog

Quote from: killamon on July 06, 2006, 05:11:29 pm

dude...you dont think the Razorbacks being in the Maui tournament was not an attempt to compete with national powerhouses???  We played in a tournament with UCONN, Kansas, Maryland, Gonzaga.  If thats not an attempt to strive for better, then i dunno what is.  Now Heath has scheduled games for the next couple seasons against Texas and is working on a couple more....Maybe you just forgot, i dunno, but saying UA can learn a thing or two from UCA has to be the dumbest sh*t i've ever heard

I'll say it again,  s  l  o  w  l  y  this time for your benefit. I realize the Razorbacks played a tough schedule and are better at any sport you can name at this time.

The striving for better comment was to point out the differences of how the two university's administrations have performed lately. The Hogs are at arguably their lowest point in many, many years in the two sports that matter. The Bears are probably more talented than they have ever been, and getting better.

I stand by my statement that the U of A could learn some things from the way pres. Hardin has handled UCA. Matter of fact, I would guess if he were in charge in Fayettville, we would be talking BCS bowls, and Nutt would be distant memory. Just because the U of A is bigger, and you're a big ol' fan, doesn't mean the people in charge are infallable. That type of thinking has brought us to this (low) level of achievement.

fusbal11

I have a lot of respect for UCA, but let's be serious here---at this point in their establishments rise it is just about the money. Like  The Real Hogules  said--'That's nothing more than getting paid to let someone kick your @$$!'
-
Wooo Pig

SiriusHog™

Quote from: LA HAWG on July 06, 2006, 02:11:40 pm
UCONN 114  UCA 36

thats it?? is uconn just going to play the first half.. then just let UCA play by themselves in the 2nd half??

ClubChubby

UCA may well have more students than UAF, and soon. Central arkansas location. Agressive administration. Many, especially those not in nwa, are disgusted with certain aspects of ua lately.
UCA could be much more of a threat than asu ever could.

SiriusHog™

Quote from: ClubChubby on July 06, 2006, 05:40:25 pm

UCA may well have more students than UA, and soon. Central arkansas location. Agressive administration. Many, especially those not in nwa, are disgusted with certain aspects of ua lately.

i dont care how disgusted i may get with UA... i would never pick living in freaking conway or LR.. as opposed to NWA..

Cresthog

UCA is the second largest college in the state now fellas. They moved into D1AA (or something like that) this year. Conway is very attractive place for lots of students and student athletes. Why? Location, north of Little Rock...not too far from Eastern Arkansas and Northern Arkansas....a lot closer than Fayettville. He is not saying that UCA is playing UConn and will beat them or that they play a harder schedule. He is simply stating that UCA is striving for competition and recognition from other areas of the country other than Arkansas. Hats off to UCA and I hope they continue to grow and become something AState couldnt.

pork-e-pine

UCA could do itself a lot of good to schedule it's home games at war memorial.  I think if they become competitive in their conferences people would come to see them.  especially if they don't pull the same trying to compete with UA junk that ASU does.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

ARKCHIEFFAN

Quote from: SiriusHog on July 06, 2006, 05:41:23 pm
Quote from: ClubChubby on July 06, 2006, 05:40:25 pm

UCA may well have more students than UA, and soon. Central arkansas location. Agressive administration. Many, especially those not in nwa, are disgusted with certain aspects of ua lately.

i dont care how disgusted i may get with UA... i would never pick living in freaking conway or LR.. as opposed to NWA..

Who asked you to move there?????

bythelake

You do realize that Conway area is dry.  They will never move to the next level.  LOL.

chiefsfan

Quote from: pork-e-pine on July 06, 2006, 06:00:15 pm
UCA could do itself a lot of good to schedule it's home games at war memorial.  I think if they become competitive in their conferences people would come to see them.  especially if they don't pull the same trying to compete with UA junk that ASU does.

Im all for ASU competing with UA in some area's but not in other's.   The fact that our administration is playing our biggest home game in a couple years at the same time UA is playing USC is just senseless.  

Back on topic, UCA still has a ways to go.  The best way to see how far the progressed will be in a few years when they play ASU in some sports.   that will eventually happen, whenever the two teams can actually open schedules up a little bit.  If they are able to give us a good game by then, then I will be really impressed with the school's progress

Their fans just need to be prepared for several years of rent-a-win games for their opponents. This year will be the easiest football schedule they will have for a long time...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Fresh Legs on July 06, 2006, 10:35:31 pm
Quote from: bythelake on July 06, 2006, 09:26:12 pm
You do realize that Conway area is dry.  They will never move to the next level.  LOL.

You do realize that there are things called interstates and kids can be to Morgan in about 15-20 minutes? 

theyd prolly just go to LR for their beer.  UCA will probably become alot like ASU on the weekends, the entire campus packs up and moves to Little Rock (or in our case Memphis) for 2 days

utmem06

Quote from: bythelake on July 06, 2006, 09:26:12 pm
The city may be dry, but the administration allowed beer at the tailgating before some, if not all, of the home games this past season.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: SiriusHog on July 06, 2006, 05:38:44 pm
Quote from: LA HAWG on July 06, 2006, 02:11:40 pm
UCONN 114  UCA 36

That is the funniest scit I have heard anyone type this week!!!  +1

thats it?? is uconn just going to play the first half.. then just let UCA play by themselves in the 2nd half??
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hawkeyefan17

Wow. Talk about juming right in. You have to applaud them for trying.

I wonder what the rest of their schedule will look like?