Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is your top 3 college football coaches?

Started by Razorback_Z71, July 06, 2006, 01:18:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback_Z71

July 06, 2006, 01:18:16 pm Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 02:38:12 pm by Razorback_Z71
I was just wondering who do you guy think are the top 3 coaches in college football and why?   So I will start.

1.  Bob Stoops.    This guy just continues to amaze me year after year.  I love his strait forward, no excuses attitude. Stoops sets a clear expectation that his teams are about winning national championships. Anything less than a championship is not acceptable. He came to OU and took the same player from a loosing team, moved the player around to different positions and Bam... created a national championship contending program. I'm just wondering if he could do the same at Arkansas.  Before he came to OU, there wasn't anyone saying OU had championship talent.  Which brings up the question... Does Arkansas have championship talent and the past coaching staffs just doesn't know how to use them to get the best results?

2.  Pete Carrol.     This guy has a lot of the same character traits as Stoops. Pete just has a better talent pool to chose from. Again, being organize, having a set way of doing things, and setting clear expectation to his team and coaches that the goal is to win games and championships.  The goal is not just to be a competitive team, its about winning.

3.  Steve Spurrior.  I know Steve has not had the kind of season at SC to make him the third best college football coach, but I think he eventually will turn SC into a national championship contending program.  Just like the above two, losing is not acceptable.  Losing means there will be off season changes.

What does everyone else think?

John Futrall

Quote from: Razorback_Z71 on July 06, 2006, 01:18:16 pm
I was just wondering who do you guy think are the top 3 coaches in college football and why?   So I will start.

1.  Bob Stoops.    This guy just continues to amaze me year after year.  I love his strait forward, no excuses attitude. Stoops sets a clear expectation that his teams are about winning national championships. Anything less than a championship is not acceptable. He came to OU and took the same player from a loosing team, moved the player around to different positions and Bam... created a national championship contending program. I'm just wondering if he could do the same at Arkansas.  Before he came to OU, there wasn't anyone saying OU had championship talent.  Which brings up the question... Does Arkansas have championship talent and the past coaching staffs just doesn't know how to use them to get the best results?

2.  Pete Carrol.     This guy has a lot of the same character traits as Stoops. Pete just has a better talent pool to chose from. Again, being organize, having a set way of doing things, and setting clear expectation to his team and coaches that the goal is to win games and championships.  The goal is not just to be a competitive team, its about winning.

3.  Steve Spurrior.  I know Steve has not had the kind of season at SC to make him the third best college football coach, but I think he eventually will turn SC into a national championship contending program.  Just like the above two, losing is not acceptable.  Losing means there will be off season changes.

What does everyone else think?

3. Charlie Weis (ND)
2. Pete Carroll (USC)
1. (as much as this pains me to say it) JimTressel (Ohio State)

Honorable Mention: Frank Beamer, Bob Stoops, Steve Spurrier, Joe Pa

HOGLUVIN

Vandyhog4

Can't really argue with those three, but another name I would have to throw in there is Mark Richt.  If he isn't in the top three, then he is top five.  What he has done at Georgia the last five years is amazing.  He's gone 52-13 and won two SEC Championships.  He's relatively young, can recruit, and has made Georgia the premier program in the East, surpassing Florida and Tennessee.  The only knock on him is that he has not won the National Championship, and that he has a propensity to lose to Florida.  Regardless, he is one of the best four or five coaches in the nation.

killamon

LA HAWG

HoopS

LA, I knew it was just a matter of time before someone listed him...

I started to myself...

He deserves some props the job he is doing....

At Kansas.  ;)

EastexHawg

1. Steve Spurrier
2. Pete Carroll
3. Bob Stoops

All three of those guys took over programs that were mediocre or struggling and turned them into national powers in a very short time.

I think Spurrier is the smartest football coach in America.  It's one reason he gets so frustrated with his QBs...he is a perfectionist who can't stand stupidity or dumb decisions.

Nick Saban was on my list before he left LSU for the Dolphins.

HoopS

hogsNbeer

Weiss at ND, Pete Carroll at USC, and Steve Spurrier at S Carolina........ Those 3 are the best coaches in the league at this point.....  They have a VAST knowledge of football and how it works........ 

Hawgzilla

Ferentz at Iowa has to be up there somewhere........

1. Pete Carroll
            2.Kirk Ferentz
            3. Mark Richt

:razorback:

HoopS

Kirk Ferentx deserves mention and we will see what Dan Hawkins can do at Colorado.

HoopS

FerentZ that is.  Add Pat Hill to the honorable mention list.

casken

1. Steve Spurrier
2. Pete Carroll
3. Bob Stoops
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

lyon98

Richt's main reason for making GA the premier program in the east is Spurrier left FL. Richt would still be a top coach, just not that high.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

hogfan064

Top 20

1. Bobby Bowden
2. Spurrier
3. Beamer
4. Richt
5. Stoops
6. Carrol
7. Jo Pa
8. Tubberville
9. Tressel
10. Fulmer
11. Brown
12. Ferentz(sp?)
13. Bobby Petrino
14. Urban Myer
15. Rich Rodriguez
16. Charlie Weiss
17. Ralph Friedgen
18. Paul Johnson
19. George O'Leary
20. Tommy Bowden

woodhog14

1. Charlie Weiss
2. Rich Rodriguez
3. Mark Richt
4. Frank Beamer
5. Tommy Tubberville

dana caldwell

1) spurrier. best offensive system in the business and he knows how to let his assistants do their jobs.
2) weiss. the man produces, although he should at ND. did it awfully fast, tho.
3) toss up: carroll and mack brown. i know, not much love from most of u for the brown addition. carroll: big vision guy. great motivator. smart and classy. has quietly constructed a dandy defense to go with that amazing offense. but what will things there be like without chow, bush or leinhart? we'll have to see. brown: best recruiter in the business. can run a balanced offense with a wishbone-type or drop-backer. still knows the running game is vital. puts loads of stock on receivers. seems to be equal concern for offense, defense and special teams. only knock prior was he couldn't win the big one. now he has. that puts him on my list, anyway.

The real Hogules

Still coaching -

1. Steve Spurrier

2. Bob Stoops

3. Pete Carroll

Ex-college HC's -

1. Paul (Bear) Bryant

2. Barry Switzer

3. Nick Saban
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

dana caldwell

Quote from: hoophogs on July 06, 2006, 02:21:39 pm
Kirk Ferentx deserves mention and we will see what Dan Hawkins can do at Colorado.

agree, hoophogs. very interesting story on hawkins in SI a month or two back. that program could take off. might be the guy to keep an eye on should arkansas need another soon depending on how he produces with the buffs.

hogtusk

Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

HoopS

Dana, I think CU football is about to get exciting.

Mack Brown did himself a huge favor in hiring Chizik and letting Greg Davis let VY lose.

killamon

Quote from: woodhog14 on July 06, 2006, 02:27:56 pm
1. Charlie Weiss
2. Rich Rodriguez
3. Mark Richt
4. Frank Beamer
5. Tommy Tubberville

Franke Beamer...good choice...cant forget about him

oldbear

I find it hard to believe that so many people put Charlie Wiess as high as they do.  He went 9-3 in his first year as a head coach at Notre Dame.  Ty Willingham went 10-3 in his first year at the same school.  Within two more years, Willingham was searching for a new job.  Wiess may be a great coach, but we don't know that yet.  He could also flop this year or next and the wolves may be coming.

Razorback_Z71

Quote from: dana caldwell on July 06, 2006, 02:30:03 pm

agree, hoophogs. very interesting story on hawkins in SI a month or two back. that program could take off. might be the guy to keep an eye on should arkansas need another soon depending on how he produces with the buffs.

Do you really think the hogs would have a shot at this guy if nutt decides to leave?

DevilHog

1. Kirk Frentz
2. Pat Hill
3. Pete Carroll
4. Bob Stoops
5. Charlie Weiss

Shizzle

1. Weis
2. Carroll
3. Stoops/Spurrier tie.

Honorable Mention. Beemer, Rich Rodriguez, Tressel, and Bobby Bowden gotta give him some props at his age still doing good.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

dana caldwell

Quote from: Razorback_Z71 on July 06, 2006, 02:42:34 pm
Quote from: dana caldwell on July 06, 2006, 02:30:03 pm

Do you really think the hogs would have a shot at this guy if nutt decides to leave?

yes. that's the exact caliber of guy (and place to get him from) that arkansas can score. a lateral move for him in a way, but not if the money's right.

HoopS

In my list, I included names of some in situations in which success isn't as easy...no built in recruiting edge.... Ie..
Texas
ND

USC
The Florida schools

Penn St

OSU

I'm looking at guys like Ferentz in Iowa.  Rodriquez in West Virginia.
Dan Hawkins, now at Colorado....we will see.
Pat Hill at Fresno, yes its a Cali team, but he has worked wonders IMO.
Leach has done well at TT with what's left after UT, A&M, OU and others are done. 

It just says to me that either these guys can recruit like a mother or they have a system.

Just my opinion.

Vandyhog4

Quote from: oldbear on July 06, 2006, 02:40:32 pm
I find it hard to believe that so many people put Charlie Wiess as high as they do.  He went 9-3 in his first year as a head coach at Notre Dame.  Ty Willingham went 10-3 in his first year at the same school.  Within two more years, Willingham was searching for a new job.  Wiess may be a great coach, but we don't know that yet.  He could also flop this year or next and the wolves may be coming.

I agree with you in that it is a little early to evaluate Weis as a college head coach, but the man has something that Ty doesn't....3 Super Bowl Rings.  

hogsNbeer

Quote from: oldbear on July 06, 2006, 02:40:32 pm

Kinda like putting so much on the shoulders of newly hired Offensive Coord.....Some are ready to annoint Malzahn as the second coming before the first offensive snap has happened.....  Fact of the matter, Weiss has YEARS of experience and basically an offensive genius by some...I think this and the fact he led the IRISH to a BCS bowl in his first year that a new excitement has struck them.....I, personally, think he will be in the national championship game next year.....

HoopS

Beer man, you may very well be right about ND playing in the championship game.  Weiss is one of the best offensive minds out there.  In my list, I left him off...as well as some of the more popular ones..Pete C, Mack B, .... And they could all be listed but I just wanted to throw some less recognizable ones into the mix. 

I'd take almost any name I have seen listed...

Almost...

rricha

mossfan3

1. Caroll 
2. Weis
3. Rodriguez  (WV)

It's hard to put into words how much I dislike Stoops so I'll just leave that one alone.

cmh_hog

1. Bobby Bowden
2. Charlie Wies
3. Frank Beamer

BKtheKing

1. Butch Davis

2. Gus Malzahn

3. Reggie Herring

Oops, wait... those are my favorite Razorback coaches.

:razorback:

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

scorekeeper

Bobby Bowden
Steve Spurrier
Beamer-

These are coaches that get it done.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

EastexHawg

Quote from: The real Hogules on July 06, 2006, 02:29:21 pm
Still coaching -

1. Steve Spurrier

2. Bob Stoops

3. Pete Carroll

Ex-college HC's -

1. Paul (Bear) Bryant

2. Barry Switzer

3. Nick Saban

Darrell Royal was a great, great coach.  After the Bear, I can't think of many I would rather have than DKR...

And Broyles was right there with him.  I wonder if some of us forget how close to winning three or four national championships a young Frank Broyles had the Hogs.

tbhogfan

That is a pretty tough question.  Is a guy a great coach simply because he landed at a big time program?  Is a guy a great coach for turning around a program? 

Here are 3 good ones that one might not think about:

Bill Snyder turned a pathetic K-State team into a winner
Gary Patterson tremendous job at TCU
Dan Hawkins now at Colorado, formerly at Boise St.  53-11 at a school in Boise Idaho with a blue field.
Go Hogs!

Cresthog

Carroll
Beamer
Stoops

Tressel is close behind Stoops and Weiss still has to prove to me he is the real deal.

noprayerfornutt

Bob Stoops- turned OU around and has been able to maintain them as a top program.
Frank Beamer- built VT into a winner.  Best Special Teams in the land.
Bobby Petrino- made Louisville a power.  One has to wonder how long he will be there.

Hogward R. Murrow

Richt
Stoops
Spurrier

Honorable Mention:
Price

clemensrules01

John Futrall

Quote from: The real Hogules on July 06, 2006, 02:29:21 pm
Still coaching -

1. Steve Spurrier

2. Bob Stoops

3. Pete Carroll

Ex-college HC's -

1. Paul (Bear) Bryant

2. Barry Switzer

3. Nick Saban

For former coaches....  Lou Holtz, Woody Hayes, Tom Osbourne (in addition to your 3)...

VoR

1. Carroll
2. Richt
3. Spurrier (I put him at 3 just because of the what have you done for me lately, if he continues to improve S.C. he goes to 1 with a bullet.)
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Albert Einswine

Here's what CFN has to say about our man Dale.

41. Houston Nutt, Arkansas – Nutt's gotten a little tougher to handicap the last two years.  The Hogs have won just nine games, and the coach that was on a lot of AD's short lists not long ago is suddenly in a must-win situation in 2006.  From 1998 to 2003, Nutt earned a reputation for coaching up teams and pulling upsets, and was a front-runner to land the Nebraska job and a hefty pay raise two years ago.  He's a homegrown talent, who's tailor-made for the Hogs, but might not be as successful away from Arkansas.
Eight-Year Record at Arkansas: 57-40 (2-4 in bowl games)
Eight-Year Record Before He Arrived: 37-52-2 (0-2 in bowl games)
Career Record: 61-47 (2-4 in bowl games)

Here's the link to the whole piece.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Columnists/RC/HireEducation.htm
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HatfieldHog

Pete Carrol
Mark Richt
Bobby Petrino

I might put Stoops in there, but I can't stand him.  Weiss will be good until he is figured out.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Hornkiller

Weiss has had great offensive numbers, but the Irish D hasn't been up to snuff.  The opposite of Tressel at OSU where winning 9-7 is acceptable.

1. Spurier

Pros = wins wherever he goes, puts butts in the seats and is the most quotable SEC personality since Chuck Barkley.
Cons = visor abuse

2. Stoops

Pros = Took a team that went 3-8 and 5-6 the two years before and went 8-3 and 13-0 the next two years. Hires great assistant coaches, offense and defense always dangerous.
Cons = Special teams somtime suspect (and he is the coach) losing games he shouldn't and getting dominated in the 03 Big XII Title Game and 04 Orange Bowl.

3. Synder
Pros= Took the most futal team in America (according to SI) and put them one win away from a national title apperence in 98. Raided the Oklahoma and Texas talent pool (at least until Stoops and Brown were hired) and build a consistant winner in Manhatten.
Cons= Weak non conference schedule, not really media friendly.

4. Pete Carrol
Pros - Pro style attitude at the college ranks, players love to play for a coach like him. Stockpiles talent like starbucks at a AA meeting.
Cons= Plays in the Pac10, ND hasn't been strong, who can't win with Bush, Linheart, White, Palmer etc...

5. Tressell
Pros - Consistantly beats rival Michigan, Big 10 contender and upset a Miami team that was supposed to be one of the greatest ever.
Cons = Inconsistant offense, Clarette's off the field problems.

6. Beamer

Pros - Took an off the radar team to the national title. Great special teams and defense.
Cons - Hasn't won anything without a Vick at QB.

7. Richt

Pros - Consistant winner at Georgia, beats rival GT, manages players well (Green vs. Shockley would have torn some teams apart) recuits well.
Cons - Losses to Florida, Sugar Bowl Blowout

8. Tubberville
Pros - Owns rival, should have at least been allowed a piece of the NC in 04, manages players well, gets great cordinators.
Cons - takes courting other coaches to light a fire under his butt

9 Brown
Pros - Great recruiter, takes responsiblity for losses, covers players, loves the pressure
Cons - Loyalty to Greg Davis, unexplainable bowl losses, can he still compete in the Big XII and with Bob Stoops without Vince Young.

10 Hill

Pros - Made Frenso State as scary as Florida State. Take on anyone anywhere mentality, knows how to recruit and coach the players that may have been a few inches too short or a few pounds too light to play at USC and win.
Cons - Not really dominate in conference.