Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Basketball

Started by hoggerdinger, July 06, 2006, 12:53:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggerdinger

I know we are all anxious about the upcoming Football season, but is anyone feeling nervous about the Basketball team this year?  I try to follow as close as I can but unless I have missed something we aren't going to be very good this year.  Who is the star on the team?  Any great recruits coming to the Hogs?  What's the word? :-\

TuckFexas

Where the hell have you been the past 3 months?
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

hogfan13

Click on this Photo for a little sneek peak of the 06-07 Schedule

dana caldwell

mom, is that you? i told u not to play here!  :)

Hawgballz

Testis, where have you been??
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Extra Point

Quote from: dana caldwell on July 06, 2006, 03:22:04 pm

It's too bad no one can discuss Razorback basketball without you hijacking the thread, dropping your pants and pissing on them.

Get a hobby, go to a meeting, something....

Lando Calrissian

I think we'll know after the first few football games whether it's time to REALLY talk about basketball.

My guess is the basketball team will be about the same as it was last year.

We REALLY had to rely on basketball 'hype' to get us (fans) through last football season, though.

I hope it's not the same case this year.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HoopS

To answer your question, if I had to make a bet on this team being better than the last, I wouldn't wager much.  Unless you give me the money to bet with. 

Too many unknowns. I'm not saying we won't be good, I just need to see what our new guys will really do.

I like Charles Thomas' game. We all hope GE can come in and run the show.  Has Darian gotten consistent.  Can Sonny be a big factor at this level?  Now that Washington appears to be eligible, one question is answered and now I wonder what kind of impact can he really have.  Beverly and Stefan W both look quick as a hickup...will that translate at thus level?  What will the addition of Cyprien mean to our D?  Can Hipsher get our offense rolling with all the new pieces?

There are more questions but my thumbs hurt.  Maybe start this thread again in November.

dana caldwell

Quote from: Extra Point on July 06, 2006, 03:40:06 pm
It's too bad no one can discuss Razorback basketball without you hijacking the thread, dropping your pants and pissing on them.

keep it up, extra point. i see you're doing a great job of staying on-topic with this post as with many others.

please. keep it up.

i post to illicit smart give and take with bright people. clearly my posts are not aimed toward u (go ahead and report that one, too).

Extra Point

Quote from: dana caldwell on July 06, 2006, 03:54:48 pm

keep it up, extra point. i see you're doing a great job of staying on-topic with this post as with many others.

please. keep it up.

i post to illicit smart give and take with bright people. clearly my posts are not aimed toward u (go ahead and report that one, too).

Thanks for your professionalism.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Extra Point on July 06, 2006, 04:01:16 pm
Quote from: dana caldwell on July 06, 2006, 03:54:48 pm

please. keep it up.

Thanks for your professionalism.

First, what is your problem?  Are smart ass remarks no longer allowed on here?  I am not encouraging it, but damn, he made a joke, something in all kinds of threads.  Yes we want to keep topics on subject, but come on, thats being like the soup nazi or something.  Was that directed at you?  I don't see this gross attack or derailment you speak of.

Adam Stokes

July 06, 2006, 05:08:36 pm #11 Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 05:10:13 pm by ajs15razorman
  When does the official schedule come out?  I'm glad to see Arkansas in a decent tournament to kick of the year, So. Illinois, WV, VT, Minnesota are good RPI games.  The teams aren't bad and it should be a good chance of a win.  Lots of good team so far on the rest.  Missou has Anderson at the helm and the Texas rivalry will great to bring back.  Texas Tech was also be MUCH improved from last year.  We just have to see which doormats are filled in, hopefully not to many.

Hogz87

You could have this to look forward too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAVfpAtNYY&search=Sonny%20Weems

Scary thing is he had 2 or 3 other dunks as good or better than that one that no one thought to send the tape in for.  Weems has and NBA body and NBA athleticism already, and if Heath and his staff can get Weems to become a more consistent 3 point shooter and more confident in taking over on the offensive end you could have an All-SEC performer right away.  The area Weems may contribute in more than anything though, is defense.  He's 6'6", long, and very, very quick, meaning he can guard 3 different positions(PG, SG, SF) and even an undersized athletic 4 man as well.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hogz87 on July 06, 2006, 05:31:52 pm
You could have this to look forward too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAVfpAtNYY&search=Sonny%20Weems

Scary thing is he had 2 or 3 other dunks as good or better than that one that no one thought to send the tape in for.  Weems has and NBA body and NBA athleticism already, and if Heath and his staff can get Weems to become a more consistent 3 point shooter and more confident in taking over on the offensive end you could have an All-SEC performer right away.  The area Weems may contribute in more than anything though, is defense.  He's 6'6", long, and very, very quick, meaning he can guard 3 different positions(PG, SG, SF) and even an undersized athletic 4 man as well.

Long arms, good defense, plays three spots, good dunker, if he were an inch taller he'd seem like a reincarnated Ronnie Brewer.

hoggerdinger

Thanks for providing such a valuable contribution to the questions.  You must have failed High School.

BPPig

I for one am fairly stoked about next season. I wish I felt the same about football. I submit the following reasons.

Big men historically get better every year. I see no reason ours won't either and they do have talent. They can also run the floor and that will be much more evident with the new PG's.

The ball will start to go inside and out like it should.

Our three point shooting will be significantly improved.

Our perimeter defense has a good chance to be much better even without Ronnie. I personally don't care if a player drives around one of our perimeter defenders as long as it takes at least a couple of steps. They would then get to met Mr's Hill, Townes, Hunter, etc. Many NBA teams play defense on the same principal.

The number 15 rated recruiting class in the country is coming.

I hope GI is an upgrade at point guard but I know he will get the ball inside.

3 of 4 of the last final four had teams that resemble the Hogs.

These points are just opinion. I think the Walsh kid is going to be a help very early. I was stuck at home last season and they publish the school paper on line. The team had 4 D-1 prospects and from perusing the school paper I assume 2 had huge egos. He was by far the most popular player on the team and more than one article alluded to the fact that he was able to distribute the ball well enough to keep everyone happy. Something that i assume from the articles was no easy task. The trouble with that is one often receives no credit because the player makes enough moves to nullify an assest being awarded. He seems to be a total team player with a decent stroke and solid defense. The exact sort of player one would want on your team and being a year older will be much better prepared to contribute.

I thinks Stan has improved every year as a coach even though I admit not as rapidly as possible. I am adding the Bucknell debacle into account. I don't think he over coaches near as much as he used to and his rotations have gotten tighter. I also think he has gotten smarter in his recruiting. If the reports on the Rakestraw kid are true then he is a good example. If you want to win championships then you had better have role players. If a coach signed the top 3 players every year then his chances of winning a national championship would be practically. There just would not be enough balls. You need 2-3 stars tops and then everyone else needs to know their roles. It is a team sport.

Our three seniors played their hearts out and I am really proud to say they are ex-Razorbacks.

hogmary

The thing I am concerned about is whether we will have enough guys who can handle and pass the ball.  We need guards and Sean McCurdy needs more PT.

silvertip

Quote from: hogmary on July 06, 2006, 06:43:44 pm
The thing I am concerned about is whether we will have enough guys who can handle and pass the ball.  We need guards and Sean McCurdy needs more PT.

Well, as far as handling & passing the ball, I'm sure whoever gets Modica's minutes will be an improvement.

pignatious

We didn't change head coaches did we? Less talent = worse team. Losing Brewer and Modica will hurt tremendously. I look for them to look totally lost for the first half of the year. Then, just mostly lost. I am still upset about the Sucknell game. Worse coaching and post game explanation of crappy coaching since...Nolan.  >:(
Freedom is never free.

bythelake

Sorry to say, but we are going to be young and moderately talented.  Who is going to score?  NIT bound.  I hope I have to eat crow while watching the Hogs advance to the final 4.  lol.

silvertip

Quote from: bythelake on July 06, 2006, 09:16:54 pm
Sorry to say, but we are going to be young and moderately talented.  Who is going to score?  NIT bound.  I hope I have to eat crow while watching the Hogs advance to the final 4.  lol.

SOMEBODY is going to score, that's who. I'm betting the Hawgs average more points this season than last.

Yeah, we'll be younger than last year. But not necessarily "moderately talented." I think the guys coming in have more collective talent than the ones that just left.
The holdovers, collectively, will be more talented than last year. That's because most of Heath's recruits improve, year by year.

dana caldwell

as for me, i just can't wait to see townes' continued improvement! 

snag

Obviously, it all depends on how well the guards step in and play. Ervin is a huge factor - probably the key to the season. If he steps in and plays like one of the best PG's in the SEC, we'll have a good year and make it to the tournament. The other big question to me is Steven Hill. Will his offense show up? I think it will. I've got a feeling that he is going to become one of the premier players in the SEC. IMO, he already is a premier defensive player. If he can score 10 points a game, grab 8 boards a game, and block 4 shots a game, we'll be in good shape. My number three big question is regarding Charles Thomas. He was really good last year. Is he ready to step up and become the go-to guy? Can he consistently keep up the great offensive rebounding, extend his shooting range, and double his points per game? If so, he will take the Hogs far.

So, those are my big three questions. IMO, the success of next season lies primarily with those three guys - Ervin, Hill, and Thomas. Townes is a big question mark, as are Weems and all of the incoming freshmen. But the three mentioned above are the ones who I'm hoping will be playing like all-SEC players by the time 2007 rolls around.

Hogz87

I've thought all along, since he became a Hog, that Darian Townes was a 1st team SEC talent and even an All-American talent.  If he could be consistent, gain confidence, and play like he's capable then he should be our go to guy as the season progresses.

TuckFexas

Quote from: hoggerdinger on July 06, 2006, 06:17:52 pm
Thanks for providing such a valuable contribution to the questions.  You must have failed High School.

For asking a simple question I must've failed high school huh? My point was that this has been discussed numerous times and I couldn't understand why you would start a thread going over the very same things unless you've been living in a cave. And yes, I did graduate from UA in 4 years without summer school since interested in my education.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: TuckFexas on July 07, 2006, 06:30:13 pm
Quote from: hoggerdinger on July 06, 2006, 06:17:52 pm

For asking a simple question I must've failed high school huh? My point was that this has been discussed numerous times and I couldn't understand why you would start a thread going over the very same things unless you've been living in a cave. And yes, I did graduate from UA in 4 years without summer school since interested in my education.

I graduated from the U of A in a shade under a decade, and i consider myself a genius when it comes to football so you can't be that stupid........

lol