Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robert Shields - Hogballers Had the Talent - So What Happened to Season?

Started by Robert Shields, July 03, 2006, 10:54:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

Extra Point

As someone who takes in the pickup games, some of you are going to be very disappointed next season when we do well. ;)

Yo Huckleberry

Looked like Michael Jordon in the off season, played like Jorond Lee Jensen in the real season.

allyoucaneatbuffet

JordAn - i hate grammar nazis, but i have to correct the spelling of my childhood sports hero :)

But, i did laugh out loud when I read the "gomez" comment.

As a freshman, there was a guy in the student section who would hold up signs and cheer out -- whenever Gomez would shoot a free throw --  "CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS!!!!"

(It was funnier in person)

nwarazfan

Quote from: dana caldwell on July 05, 2006, 10:29:21 am
i'd take a lazy nolan over heath. guy had more strategy, experience and fire by a long shot on his worst days.

but it was time for him to go.

i've said and written it before many times and i'll post it again: mike anderson should have been the man. if so, none of this underachieving or empty cupboard talk would be relevant.

Sure, Coach A was only the lead recruiter during the decline.  I guess he had nothing to do with the stiffs on Nolan's last teams.

three

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on July 05, 2006, 09:29:44 am
Two words - FREE THROWS.

We don't miss 9 (NINE) (9) FTs, with 2 front ends of one&ones vs Bucknell (*IN THE SECOND HALF), we win, simple.  We play 1 seed memphis hard and everyone is excited about next year.

See above posts re: other free throw losses (at Kentucky @ Rupp, @ bama, @ ole miss, @ msu, @lsu (mccurdy), @ florida in SECT...)   

By my count making a few free throws at crucial times gives us what -  a a record  of.. hold your breath....  29-5!!!!!!!!!!!!

W.T.F.

"we are so bad"

me:"we made it to the tourney - our goal, and went 10-6 in the sec that gave us 2 final four teams & the nat'l champion & 4? NBA first rounders"

"stan sucks"

me:"well let's see, make a few key free throws and we are 29-5."

"FIRE STAN!"

me:"um, our worst loss was to #1 UConn by what - 9 points?"

"FIRE HIM!"

me:"if mccurdy, townes, others hadnt choked at the line, we'd be 29-5."

"WHO CARES HE SHOULD TEACH THEM HOW TO SHOOT FREE THROWS!"

me:"....."

(29-5.... wow)
So, let me see if I understand this correctly.  Apparently, the reason we lost to LSU was because a FRESHMAN with minimal palying time missed FTs on the road in the SEC with the game on the line.  It's one thing if we're talking about a frosh who had played significantly, but McCurdy wasn't even getting time at the begining of the year against the cupcakes.

Second point, about Kentucky, you're telling me the reason we lost an 18 point lead was because we missed FTs!?  We went 3-5 during that stretch when Kentucky stormed back to take the lead in the second half.  Losing an 18 point lead obviously falls squarely on the 2 FTs we missed.  We went 6-8 the rest of the game.  I don't know what you think, but to me, 75% from the stripe in the last on the road in the SEC in the last 2:30 is pretty good.

Oh, but, obviously, when we lost to Bama, that had everything to do with the 4 FTs we missed and nothing to do with poor execution down the stretch, regardless of what you think about the foul called on Dontell Jefferson.  The fact that there was a 24 FT disparity between what we shot and what bama shot tells me that we were settling for Jumpers, supported by the 27 3-pointers we took, while Alabama was attacking the basket.

I'll give you credit, we lost to Ole Miss because we missed 11 FTs.  But Miss St., need I remind you the smack Heath talked before the game about how playing at a neutral site was much more difficult than playing on the road, and that his team was much more prepared......AND THEY WEREN'T!!!!!!!!!!!

Bucknell.  Throw out the statistics.  We lost that game because Stan did not force the issue.  He has no clear definition of his style.  Other coaches both still in the game and retired, who, for the sake of an uproar, shall remain nameless, could have run Bucknell out of the gym with lesser talent.  Am i saying this game should have been a blowout?  NO.  But, I am saying we should have won this game with pressure defense, and other than the final 2 minutes, we never saw any pressure.  UNACCEPTABLE!

But, if you'd like to argue FTs, and you want to defend Stan and say, "he can't shoot the FTs for them."  Let me in turn pose this to you.  Have you seen them practice?  Unless you're in the media or a friend of the coaches, probably not.  So, let me tell you what happens when they work on FTs.  Groups of 3 or four players go to a basket and shoot 10, maybe 20 FTs on their own.  No coach keeps track, no running is done before or after.  The smaller rim that Nolan put up to make his guys shoot on, you know the one.  It was only about 4 inches larger in diameter than a ball.  Heath took that rim down.  That rim turned a 50% shooter in Corliss Williamson, into a 70% shooter come tourny time.  Heath doesn't work these guys hard, PERIOD.  Think what you want, but that's the truth, and the evidence is on the court.....and in the L column.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

QuoteBut too often, this team found ways to lose games it should have won

You summed up the season right there.  SH does not not know how to close a game.

three

Quote from: abostian on July 05, 2006, 02:49:31 pm
QuoteBut too often, this team found ways to lose games it should have won

You summed up the season right there.  SH does not not know how to close a game.
That's it!  Makes my novel of a post seem a bit over zealous.  What summed it up to me was that  Bama game.  When Ronnie's attacking the basket and Stan calls a timeout.  Ronnie was visibly upset, almost like "Come on, coach, I'm trying to win a game here, don't sabotage us again!"
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

allyoucaneatbuffet

I'm constantly amazed at the sheer number of Division I basketball coaches that post on this board.

Unless...  there's just a bunch of guys on here that think they know more about basketball than a man whose CAREER is to know about basketball.

To all you D1 coaches, I welcome you.

three

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on July 05, 2006, 05:08:04 pm
I'm constantly amazed at the sheer number of Division I basketball coaches that post on this board.

Unless...  there's just a bunch of guys on here that think they know more about basketball than a man whose CAREER is to know about basketball.

To all you D1 coaches, I welcome you.
It appears you're one of them, too!  Since you seem to know the problem is not coaching at all.  The knowledge your argument has displayed truly is infinite.  Clearly, by what you've so eloquently stated, the problem was not the gameplan or practice habits or really anything pertaining to the job Heath has done, just simply the fact the players he's so magnificently recruited weren't good enough at free throw shooting.  Seems to me, Coach, either way you slice it, your boy just didn't get the job done, whether that was evaluating the talent he was recruiting, developing that talent once it arrived on campus, teaching that talent in practice, developing a gameplan prior to the games, or adjusting the gameplan while in games.  I'm not sure which it was, but you're the Coach, so you can point it out to me.

dana caldwell

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 05, 2006, 01:34:25 pm
i'd take a lazy nolan over heath. guy had more strategy, experience and fire by a long shot on his worst days.

i've said and written it before many times and i'll post it again: mike anderson should have been the man. if so, none of this underachieving or empty cupboard talk would be relevant.

Sure, Coach A was only the lead recruiter during the decline.  I guess he had nothing to do with the stiffs on Nolan's last teams.

yeah, sucky guys like JJ, pargo, dean, sullinger, iguodala and the like. had MA been the head coach, he would've netted brewer, too, and kept sullinger and iggy and not wasted a scholie on lamptey while bringing in a big or two and more pressers. MA wanted to kick it into gear when nolan was slowing down. this i know.

anyone wants to argue with MA's ability, see UAB results, the promenence the name now carries, the boost in attendance and excitement and, oh, yeah, that new job.

Rey Pygsterio

Oh my gosh, I am finally saying good post, Caldwell, and agreeing with him.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

nwarazfan

You are negative towards Heath because you associate him with Big 10 basketball and you must have had a bad time in Big 10 country.  You've stereotyped him even though teams like Illinois and Mich St play much more up tempo than Ole Miss, UGa, S Car, LSU...

You state these would haves/could haves about Coach A if he would have stayed but Pargo, Dean and JJ were gone and did very little while here.  And then you mention two college role players one of whom - Iggy - didn't even avg double figures for his college career.  I guess he and Sully and Rashad Sullivan and Mukubu were taking us back to the top. 

Just revisionist, biased history because you like Coach A and you hate the Big 10.

Extra Point

Quote from: Yo Huckleberry on July 05, 2006, 12:43:23 pm
Looked like Michael Jordon in the off season, played like Jorond Lee Jensen in the real season.

Talking about the newcomers, smart guy.  Can you break down the impact of Ervin and Beverley for me?

We are about to get another commit, maybe as soon as this week.  So go sulk some more.

Extra Point

Quote from: dana caldwell on July 06, 2006, 08:07:20 am
Quote from: nwarazfan on July 05, 2006, 01:34:25 pm

yeah, sucky guys like JJ, pargo, dean, sullinger, iguodala and the like. had MA been the head coach, he would've netted brewer, too, and kept sullinger and iggy and not wasted a scholie on lamptey while bringing in a big or two and more pressers. MA wanted to kick it into gear when nolan was slowing down. this i know.

anyone wants to argue with MA's ability, see UAB results, the promenence the name now carries, the boost in attendance and excitement and, oh, yeah, that new job.

Great idea, Dana.  Put the guy who thinks we are racist rednecks in the seat formerly occupied by Ed Beshara with MA as coach.

I think you judgment is still clouded.

HatfieldHog

What Happened last Season? 

Have you ever heard of "coaching a team down?"

That is what took place!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

dana caldwell

nwarzfan, i assume that stupid post was pointed toward me.

a little education: sullinger was a freshman when nolan was fired. iggy was a major player and early-out for a national power. seems to be fairing well. probably not as well as u, but he's trying.

i LOVED covering the Big Ten (yes, u spell the "ten"; it is not the Big 12). i was fortunate enough to witness not only bob knight's last season, but keady's run to the elite eight (where purdue lost to wisconsin in the pit. i was there. and i liked being there. also enjoyed partying with the gonzaga girls in the hotel hot-tub, but that's another story). i also enjoyed covering mo pete, cleaves and izzo and barely remember seeing a stoic heath on that sideline. i love the breslin center and got a kick out of seeing michigan's gym deathly silent and empty even vs. IU. i dug watching illinois' kick-ass team and IU vs. purdue bloodbaths.

don't begin to act like u know me, my likes or dislikes or the freaking reasons for them. i'm getting tired of your tired and boring act. judging by your karma rating, so are lots of others.

post your thots, should u ever have an original one.  but stop trying to interpret those of others.

dana caldwell

"Great idea, Dana.  Put the guy who thinks we are racist rednecks in the seat formerly occupied by Ed Beshara with MA as coach."

WTH, extra point? forget the extra, i'd just like to understand the original point.

dana caldwell

"Talking about the newcomers, smart guy.  Can you break down the impact of Ervin and Beverley for me?"

um, can you? or are u the guy who has been, er, "scouting" pickup games (which we all know are so revealing)?

learn more. post less, extra point.

Extra Point

Quote from: dana caldwell on July 06, 2006, 03:36:16 pm
"Great idea, Dana.  Put the guy who thinks we are racist rednecks in the seat formerly occupied by Ed Beshara with MA as coach."

WTH, extra point? forget the extra, i'd just like to understand the original point.

Let me break it down for you.

Nolan, who repeatedly states MA is like a son to him, would have been sitting behind the bench with MA as coach just as Ed Beshara, Nolan's long time condifidant, did when NR was coach.  Ed had a driver bring him over from his store in Tulsa for nearly every game.

I think lots of people would have loved to have Mike as coach.  In the late '90's, I was hoping Mike would go get some HC experience and come back once Nolan started relaxing on his recruiting.

I'm very happy for Mike and his Mizzou job.  Been following Mike's career since his playing days in Tulsa.  Nice guy. Great family.  But Nolan chose his radical spewings over helping Mike secure the job, plain and simple.

Jim Harris

Quote from: three on July 05, 2006, 02:44:42 pm
Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on July 05, 2006, 09:29:44 am
Two words - FREE THROWS.

We don't miss 9 (NINE) (9) FTs, with 2 front ends of one&ones vs Bucknell (*IN THE SECOND HALF), we win, simple.  We play 1 seed memphis hard and everyone is excited about next year.

See above posts re: other free throw losses (at Kentucky @ Rupp, @ bama, @ ole miss, @ msu, @lsu (mccurdy), @ florida in SECT...)   

By my count making a few free throws at crucial times gives us what -  a a record  of.. hold your breath....  29-5!!!!!!!!!!!!

W.T.F.

"we are so bad"

me:"we made it to the tourney - our goal, and went 10-6 in the sec that gave us 2 final four teams & the nat'l champion & 4? NBA first rounders"

"stan sucks"

me:"well let's see, make a few key free throws and we are 29-5."

"FIRE STAN!"

me:"um, our worst loss was to #1 UConn by what - 9 points?"

"FIRE HIM!"

me:"if mccurdy, townes, others hadnt choked at the line, we'd be 29-5."

"WHO CARES HE SHOULD TEACH THEM HOW TO SHOOT FREE THROWS!"

me:"....."

(29-5.... wow)

Bucknell.  Throw out the statistics.  We lost that game because Stan did not force the issue.  He has no clear definition of his style.  Other coaches both still in the game and retired, who, for the sake of an uproar, shall remain nameless, could have run Bucknell out of the gym with lesser talent.  Am i saying this game should have been a blowout?  NO.  But, I am saying we should have won this game with pressure defense, and other than the final 2 minutes, we never saw any pressure.  UNACCEPTABLE!

But, if you'd like to argue FTs, and you want to defend Stan and say, "he can't shoot the FTs for them."  Let me in turn pose this to you.  Have you seen them practice?  Unless you're in the media or a friend of the coaches, probably not.  So, let me tell you what happens when they work on FTs.  Groups of 3 or four players go to a basket and shoot 10, maybe 20 FTs on their own.  No coach keeps track, no running is done before or after.  The smaller rim that Nolan put up to make his guys shoot on, you know the one.  It was only about 4 inches larger in diameter than a ball.  Heath took that rim down.  That rim turned a 50% shooter in Corliss Williamson, into a 70% shooter come tourny time.  Heath doesn't work these guys hard, PERIOD.  Think what you want, but that's the truth, and the evidence is on the court.....and in the L column.

Some of this isn't true. On Bucknell, we pressed for the last six minutes, not the last two, and while that also sucks, I still trust Heath's reasoning early on in that Modica was injured and, if you saw the last six minutes when we did press, Modica was unable to get to his defensive spot quick enough.
Bucknell was a ninth seed, we were an eight, and while you may think a handful of coaches could have run Bucknell out of the gym with lesser talent, the selection committee appeared to judge them as being nearly our equal, as close as they could be in that regional, and fact of the matter is, just as Eddie Sutton's 1977 team, the first UA team to make the NCAA tournament in about 20 years, choked away its first round game against Wake Forest, this team in its first game in the NCAA choked it; it was in still in their hands to win at 55-55 and they blew it. Bucknell, with a win over Kansas the year before, had tournament winning experience, and they were smart. Not very good, but very smart. Yes, the arm-chair coaches can say and might be right, in hindsight, that we should have picked up their point guard at half guard and drove him nuts. (Also, I saw us under Nolan survive games in Austin against Princeton and Dayton that were similar, and won at the end, and having two previous years of tournament experience certainly helped that 1990 team).
On the free throws, I have seen them practice and I can say that you are wrong about them not putting them in pressure situations. Heath and Hipsher on the times I saw practice would put five guys, presumable the five they wanted in at the end shooting free throws, on the line and they had to hit 8 of 10 and if they didn't the entire team ran for it. And they ended up running several times.
You posts almost seem to say that Heath is a bumbling idiot that couldn't coach a junior high team, and I just don't buy that.
I do think there is a lot of impatience among people on this board and other boards to have the great success that Nolan worked hard to finally achieve from 1990-95, and achieving that mostly was done on getting the right blend of players, damn good players.
We went 10-6 in a league that sent two teams to the Final Four, and a third team took UCLA, a finalist, to the wire. None of those teams was Kentucky, either, which is nice.
We were never blown out of a single game, not one. Of our 10 losses, we legitimately had the opportunity to win seven of them, maybe eight, in the final minute. I see the 2006 season as a success, but obviously around here that would put me in a tiny minority.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Pork Twain

QuoteI really believe that the on top of his game Nolan, with this past years' team, would have at least gone to the sweet sixteen.

That would be before the 1997 season and that is the main point.  Nothing Nolan did after the 95-96 season indicated he was ever going to get us back to being respectable. 

He trashed our state on the way out and called us a bunch of racist rednecks.  You might be okay with that but I am not.  Those comments are the reason I think we have SH and why we have stuck with him so long.  Nolan called us racist rednecks so we replaced him with the best coach available???  No we replaced him with the best black coach available.  Trust me when we hired Stan there were better coaches out there that would have loved to coach at Arkansas no matter how Nolan screwed us on his way out.

Stan "can" be a great coach one day but he needs to grow a set and learn to chew some player ass.  Until then we will continue to improve but never be great.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/