Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Lance Brauman goes to prison, how will this affect the U of A?

Started by Hoggy Bear, July 02, 2006, 05:13:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggy Bear

I always thought that once John McDonnell decided to retire, then Lance Brauman would take over as head coach.  Since this is very much up in the air, and Brauman possible headed to federal prison, who takes over as sprint coach?  And will this affect the talent of sprinters who will come to the U of A.  Let's face it, we haven't had a sprint crew like Brauman brought over from Barton CCC in a long long time.  So that makes winning NCAA Indoor and Outdoor titles a lot tougher.

Kilgor

More info?  I missed this story.  What is he charged with?
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Boarcephus

Quote from: Kilgor on July 02, 2006, 05:19:11 pm
More info?  I missed this story.  What is he charged with?

Cliff's Notes version is he was caught falsifying (sp?) time cards for some of his athletes and getting them money they didn't deserve.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

mikeirwin

His former assistant coach says he did that. The assistant coach is testifying for the prosecution after pleading guilty to doing the same thing he is accusing Brauman of. One can assume a lighter sentence is forthcoming for the assistant coach based on his cooperation with federal prosecutors.
As for Brauman I doubt he'll be going to prison but if convicted I assume his employment at Arkansas would be over.
If Brauman is also found guilty of keeping Tyson Gay eligible by arranging for false grades to be given to him it is certainly possible the NCAA would get involved since he would have transferred to Arkansas with a tainted transcript.

HawgnDos

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 02, 2006, 06:19:25 pm
If Brauman is also found guilty of keeping Tyson Gay eligible by arranging for false grades to be given to him it is certainly possible the NCAA would get involved since he would have transferred to Arkansas with a tainted transcript.

It was my understanding when all of this first came up that Coach Mc said they were looking into everything themselves meaning Coach Brauman's liability, Gay's potential non-eligibility, and any such thing that might come back to haunt the UA.  He came out a short time later and indicated that Gay was OK to compete but Brauman would have his day in court to clear his own name, or something to that effect.  I want to say that I read that in one of the papers or maybe it was a report that came back from a Razorback club meeting that he spoke at.

tbhogfan

Lance is one of the best young track coaches in America.  I think it is fair to say that before this legal entanglement occurred, he was a frontrunner to take over the Arkansas job once John steps down.  John is 68 now, and Dick Booth is 62 in a couple of weeks. 

I am not sure how the legal entanglements effect Lance's future as a college coach.   

My guess is that he must be found not guilty, and found blameless in this matter to have any chance of being retained in his current capacity.  I would also guess that the University will now look elsewhere when John steps down, regardless of the verdict.  A guilty verdict will likely end his career as a college coach.

Go Hogs!

hogmary

Lance Brauman has consistently denied any wrongdoing.  The scheme to defraud the work-study program had been going on a long time before Lance got there.  He says that he never knowingly falsified any documents.  Just about everyone else in that athletic dept, before, during and since Lance's tenure at Barton, has either passed the statute of limitations, pled guilty or agreed to testify against Lance for better treatment.  I may be mistaken, but I think that Lance is the only one who has proclaimed his innocence and is fighting the charges.  Take that into consideration when you read the charges against him and those that involve Tyson Gay.    How many college coaches do you think there are out there who would love to see Arkansas's track program and John McDonnell tainted by scandal?  More than a few, I dare say.

HawgnDos

Quote from: hogmary on July 03, 2006, 12:11:27 pm
How many college coaches do you think there are out there who would love to see Arkansas's track program and John McDonnell tainted by scandal?  More than a few, I dare say.
Very true!  Most all of them would like to give themselves some kind of advantage against this machine of National Championships, and Lance appears to be being groomed as Coach Mac's heir apparent to the throne.  Hopefully he will be exonerated of all charges.

Hawginthecovers

I would believe that Dick Booth would become the next Head Coach regardless of what happens to Brauman if, John actually chooses to retire someday.  Booth would have the experience and knowledge to keep the continuity with winning untill he decided to call it a career.  Should it not work that way.  Experience and consistency might help to keep it going other than tying Razorback track to a young up and comer that has not proven himself at the Highest Level as a Head Coach.  Not saying Brauman is not a good and successful coach with what he has accomplished thus far in his young career.

ClubChubby

hogmary

It's not the NCAA...it's federal court.  There should be a decision next week.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Factual Fiction

In the near future you can look for the "Prison News" sports section to profile the coach of the best track team in Cellblock C.