Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting NCAAT numbers

Started by mizzouman, March 13, 2018, 10:29:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Received this from someone and I thought it was interesting.  Based on the 4 major 'computer' predictors, the RPI likes the SEC the most. 
What is interesting with the RPI is that they have St. Bonaventure beating UCLA and FLA.

According to these four predictors, the most likely teams not to make it out of the first round are Mizzou, Bama and Arkansas.

RPI   KENPOM   538   BPI
KENT      2-1   2-1           1-1   1-1
TEN      2-1   2-1           2-1   2-1
MIZ      1-1   0-1           0-1   0-1
A&M      1-1   1-1           1-1   1-1
BAMA   1-1   0-1           0-1   0-1
FLA      0-1   1-1           1-1   1-1
ARK      1-1   0-1           0-1   0-1
AUB      1-1   2-1           2-1   1-1
      9-8   8-8           7-8   6-8

mizzouman

Sorry, the format didn't come across very well.

HotlantaHog

Kenpom and 538 have Butler ranked higher than Arkansas -- in other words, Arkansas didn't exactly draw a good matchup.

OkieBack

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 13, 2018, 11:02:30 am
Kenpom and 538 have Butler ranked higher than Arkansas -- in other words, Arkansas didn't exactly draw a good matchup.

It's probably a great match-up in the committees eyes.  It's just a matter of which team shows up and which team appears inconsistent.  Butler could look allot like us in the mirror.  But if predictions on Butler's 3 pt defense being their weak point is true...I sure hope the Hogs can take advantage of it and prove folks wrong.  Gotta play 40 full minutes to win.

Hog_Fink

we show up to play we win.
we shoot hot & play good defense we can beat purdue

mizzouman

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 13, 2018, 11:02:30 am
Arkansas got a tough draw.  Butler is very good.  Purdue is even better.  But that doesn't mean Arkansas cannot win both.  Just tough sledding.

The real Hogules

Quote from: mizzouman on March 13, 2018, 11:36:18 am
Arkansas got a tough draw.  Butler is very good.  Purdue is even better.  But that doesn't mean Arkansas cannot win both.  Just tough sledding.

I'm certainly not knocking on Butler, but they are shorter than we are at almost every position, shoot less free throws per game than even we do, don't have a dominate PG and aren't very good at guarding the 3 point line.
If we show up ready to play on both ends of the court and Daryl Macon has emerged from his 3-4 game funk I feel extremely confident that we will move on to the 2nd round, against Purdue.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

EastexHawg

The storylines have already been written by most people on this board, the SEC is loaded and fantastic this year.  If the conference gets four or five teams out of the first round that will prove how good it is.

On the other hand, what will it really prove if Kentucky beats Davidson?  If Tennessee beats Wright State?  If Auburn beats Charleston?  75% of the decent teams in America would win all three of those games.  Florida State is 8-9 in their last 17 games and didn't exactly end the season on fire, either.

Who is the best opponent an SEC team is facing in the first round?  Answer that question, then make the case for how good they are.

LRHawg

I'd be a lot more worried if Butler had a dominant point guard. I also like our chances against Purdue vs some of the other possible round of 32 matchups we could have had. We have a great opportunity to go deep.

bphi11ips

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 13, 2018, 02:23:44 pm
Who is the best opponent an SEC team is facing in the first round?  Answer that question, then make the case for how good they are.

You could say the same thing about the ACC, the Big 10 (especially), and the Big 12. So what?

If anything the SEC is underseeded, especially Kentucky.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

popcornhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 13, 2018, 02:23:44 pm
The storylines have already been written by most people on this board, the SEC is loaded and fantastic this year.  If the conference gets four or five teams out of the first round that will prove how good it is.

On the other hand, what will it really prove if Kentucky beats Davidson?  If Tennessee beats Wright State?  If Auburn beats Charleston?  75% of the decent teams in America would win all three of those games.  Florida State is 8-9 in their last 17 games and didn't exactly end the season on fire, either.

The best opponent an SEC team is facing is probably Butler or Florida State or Providence.
WPS

Sharky

Mizzou now has a senior out of the tourney because he got a DWI. Not helping their chances.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: popcornhog on March 13, 2018, 09:55:49 pm
The best opponent an SEC team is facing is probably Butler or Florida State or Providence.
Out of those three I would rank them Providence, Florida State and then Butler. Butler doesn't suck but they're not as good as people are saying. Hogs SHOULD win that game w/o much difficulties.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

redhogchilipepper

I checked a ton of predictions yesterday building my bracket. It seems 90 percent pick Butler. Most didn't even have a story line about the Hogs. They went straight to a Butler vs Purdue matchup. Some wrote the 10 seed was an insult. The insulting will be Friday when the Hogs demolish the dawgs.

WPS

Butler is the choice because of their past NCAA history and not this teams history.  Butler will not come to PAINT, they will play to win.  On a site or two I checked, Hogs are the dog by 1.5 points and the total is 151.  Our history of showing up over the past 20 years is bad and theirs is good.  I think we can win but I don't have a clue if we will show up. 

mizzouman

Not only does the RPI have the Bonnies beating UCLA, they have them beating FLA. 

NaturalStateReb

Butler's good, but I don't see why everyone thinks that Butler is such a lock.  Arkansas plays tempo and ended the season on a pretty high note.  I like Arkansas to win this one, but I think they fall to Purdue.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.