Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Braised Short Ribs

Started by jrulz83, February 28, 2016, 10:24:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jrulz83

Nothing beats tender, falling off the bone, point a fork at them and they fall to pieces short ribs. Here is one of my all time favorites, Braised Short Ribs:

6-8 beef short ribs (figure 2 per person)
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour for dredging
4-6 slices of bacon diced
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion diced
A couple handfuls of baby carrots
1-2 shallots (depending on size) peeled and finely diced
2 cups of red wine
2 cups beef broth
2 sprigs of thyme and rosemary or 1 Tbs of herbes de provence

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Season the ribs on all sides with salt and pepper, dredge them in flour on all sides, and set aside. In a large dutch oven cook your bacon over medium heat until crisp set aside, do not discard drippings. Add 2 Tbs of Olive oil to the drippings in the dutch oven, turn heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side, remove ribs and set aside, set heat to medium. Add onion, carrots, and shallot to the dutch oven and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and scrape the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the flavor. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the ribs and the herbs of your choice. Put the lid on and place the dutch oven in the pre-heated oven. Cook for 2 hours on 350, reduce heat to 325 for an additional 30-45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to sit lid on for 15-20 minutes. Remove the lid, skim some of the fat off and discard it. Serve with creamed potatoes.

Ridiculously good here folks, this is comfort food beyond compare. A couple things I've learned making this: 1) Chicken broth works fine. You probably won't know the difference. Try the recipe as written but don't be afraid to use chicken broth if it is what you have on hand 2) Don't skip the booze. I've even replaced the wine when I was out, not in the same amount of course, with some brandy or whiskey. It makes a huge difference in the flavor. 3) Short ribs are occasionally hard to come by in my market, but this recipe works great with any cut of beef roast that I've tried it with. 4) Feel free to add the bacon back in after you deglaze the pan with the wine, but I reserve it for the potatoes, or salad topping.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

There needs to be a rule on Hogville that prevents threads like this from being shown after 10 pm. You guys make it hard on a fat guy to not eat late at night.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 28, 2016, 10:44:17 pm
There needs to be a rule on Hogville that prevents threads like this from being shown after 10 pm. You guys make it hard on a fat guy to not eat late at night.

I don't have a pic of mine, but this should help:

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

DadVader1

Great timing.  I did beef short ribs on Sunday night that was a bit of a hybrid of your version.  I smoked them for 3 hours then braised them in a very similar braise concoction.  I have smoked beef short ribs several times in the past, and they turned out very good, so when I ran across Malcom Reed's version that included a braising step, I had to give it a try: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9vJQfZyvC0   It turned out pretty good.  I'll probably leave out the tomato paste next time, but there WILL be a next time. 

I discovered that Edward's Food Giant in LR carries full racks and will cut them however you want them, so I have mine cut a bit differently from how you typically find them.  I don't have a recent pick, but attached is from the first time I smoked them using full sized ribs.  Each bone was around 6" long and had close to a pound of beef.  Now, I have them make one cut across the slab so that the bones are around 3" long and have about 1/2 lb. of beef.  Love them.

DDD

Quote from: DadVader1 on February 29, 2016, 07:58:01 pm
Great timing.  I did beef short ribs on Sunday night that was a bit of a hybrid of your version.  I smoked them for 3 hours then braised them in a very similar braise concoction.  I have smoked beef short ribs several times in the past, and they turned out very good, so when I ran across Malcom Reed's version that included a braising step, I had to give it a try: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9vJQfZyvC0   It turned out pretty good.  I'll probably leave out the tomato paste next time, but there WILL be a next time. 

I discovered that Edward's Food Giant in LR carries full racks and will cut them however you want them, so I have mine cut a bit differently from how you typically find them.  I don't have a recent pick, but attached is from the first time I smoked them using full sized ribs.  Each bone was around 6" long and had close to a pound of beef.  Now, I have them make one cut across the slab so that the bones are around 3" long and have about 1/2 lb. of beef.  Love them.

Can't go wrong with his advice.He is a great cook on a grill and happy to call him a friend

DadVader1

I've never met him, but I love his YouTube videos.  He has become one of my favorite sources of BBQ tips, techniques, and recipes. 

DDD

A super guy that will answer any question about BBQ or cooking with a honest answer.

jrulz83

Quote from: DadVader1 on February 29, 2016, 07:58:01 pm

Sounds and looks awesome.