Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoke ring

Started by theFlyingHog, December 15, 2015, 09:52:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

I haven't ever really thought about it much but what's the best way to get a good smoke ring? I have heard putting the meat on while it's still cooler than room temp works and I just read that starting off smoking at 200-210 works best. Thoughts?

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 15, 2015, 09:52:15 pm
I haven't ever really thought about it much but what's the best way to get a good smoke ring? I have heard putting the meat on while it's still cooler than room temp works and I just read that starting off smoking at 200-210 works best. Thoughts?
I put the smoke to it from start to finish.  That seems to work well for me.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

PharmacistHog

The colder the meat the better. Also cherry wood seems to give a better smoke ring than other wood.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkRinds

I may get shamed for saying this, but from what I can tell the "smoke ring" is a myth.  Now sure, you can get a really good smoke ring when smoking food.  I've gotten a really good one on ribs and pulled pork both.  But you can get a "smoke ring" without ever having your food actually touch smoke.  Here's an article about it.  I didn't read this entire article, but I did read something similar that made the same claim.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 16, 2015, 02:59:09 pm
I may get shamed for saying this, but from what I can tell the "smoke ring" is a myth.  Now sure, you can get a really good smoke ring when smoking food.  I've gotten a really good one on ribs and pulled pork both.  But you can get a "smoke ring" without ever having your food actually touch smoke.  Here's an article about it.  I didn't read this entire article, but I did read something similar that made the same claim.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

Its almost certainly just "for looks", and some people even apply nitrites before cooking and then rinse off to obtain a smoke ring.  While it probably does nothing for taste, it certainly adds to the visual appeal. And as I said, forcwhatever reason cherry wood seems to equate to a better smoke ring.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 16, 2015, 04:02:28 pm
Its almost certainly just "for looks", and some people even apply nitrites before cooking and then rinse off to obtain a smoke ring.  While it probably does nothing for taste, it certainly adds to the visual appeal. And as I said, forcwhatever reason cherry wood seems to equate to a better smoke ring.

Cherry is my go to wood. I've recent,y started using pecan and I like it a lot too. Both mix well with hickory but not with each other.

PharmacistHog

I ordered some kind of sugar maple lump from firecraft. I think it comes from canada. Thats what I used on those pork butts. That stuff smells good when its burning.