Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need some brisket help

Started by Boog41, August 29, 2015, 08:35:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog41

I need help with my beef brisket....in a bad way.

I have a Cook Shack smoker and will put my pulled pork, chicken, prime rib, etc. up against anyone's. But, I just can't get the brisket to work.

I put two five pounders on last night at 10:00 and set the temp at 150. At 7:30 this morning all seemed well, their inner temps were about 140. I wanted to get them to about 185 by noon, so I cranked the temp up to 225. Around noon I cut into them when they were 178 and they were so dry it was more like jerky than brisket......and never got an inner temp above 178!!

Where am I messing up? Too much fat trimmed off to begin with? I cook everything low and slow, is that the problem??

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boog41 on August 29, 2015, 08:35:20 pm
I need help with my beef brisket....in a bad way.

I have a Cook Shack smoker and will put my pulled pork, chicken, prime rib, etc. up against anyone's. But, I just can't get the brisket to work.

I put two five pounders on last night at 10:00 and set the temp at 150. At 7:30 this morning all seemed well, their inner temps were about 140. I wanted to get them to about 185 by noon, so I cranked the temp up to 225. Around noon I cut into them when they were 178 and they were so dry it was more like jerky than brisket......and never got an inner temp above 178!!

Where am I messing up? Too much fat trimmed off to begin with? I cook everything low and slow, is that the problem??

Yiu obviously are cooking the flats only, and small ones at that. They are pretty tough to get right. A whole packer is much easier as you have the point covering and protecting the thinner, smaller flat and keeps it from drying out. Only way I do will with flats is by smoking til I hit the stall, then in a pan with some kinda braising liquid for a while. Get it through the stall and then braise it til it hits about 190. Then I pull it from the liquid, put back on grate and smoke til it probes with little or know resistance. Then wrap in foil, then a towel, then throw in cooler for about an hour. Thats my method for cooking a flat.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Lanny

cook 1 lb per hour at 225.  Cut the fat to allow the juices to flow and lay the meat side down with the fat exposed.  After 6 hours wrap your brisket in foil and spray with your favorite marinate.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

BR

August 30, 2015, 08:52:01 am #3 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:39:59 am by BR
Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 29, 2015, 09:16:37 pm
You obviously are cooking the flats only, and small ones at that. They are pretty tough to get right. A whole packer is much easier as you have the point covering and protecting the thinner, smaller flat and keeps it from drying out. Only way I do will with flats is by smoking til I hit the stall, then in a pan with some kinda braising liquid for a while. Get it through the stall and then braise it til it hits about 190. Then I pull it from the liquid, put back on grate and smoke til it probes with little or know resistance. Then wrap in foil, then a towel, then throw in cooler for about an hour. Thats my method for cooking a flat.
This... Sometimes I also add Beef Stock to the pan to help the Braising Liquid with some more flavor...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boog41

Thanks guys for the help.  I think I will try again later this week. I'm going to start with a whole brisket and go from there with your suggestions.

theFlyingHog

And put a pork butt on the rack above the brisket

PharmacistHog

Get a full packer brisket. And make sure its at least choice grade. I dont usually wrap a packer. I just cook them low. When it hits 190 start testing for doneness in the thickest part of the FLAT. It should probe with little to no resistance. Like soft butter. And probe from the top, not the side. I dont know why, its just how I was taught and it works.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

DeltaBoy

I smoke them till they stall and finish them in the Crock pot.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

baitshop

You must have a BIG crockpot...
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

pigture perfect

I have a method that I learned from a family source that is a little unconventional. Get 2 metal skewers and roll the brisket. Stand it on the heavier side. Slow cook it. Pour flavoring sauce down the cone occasionally. When it's almost done lay it flat til tender. Make sure to let it rest before cutting.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 01, 2015, 12:52:30 pm
I smoke them till they stall and finish them in the Crock pot.

You should be stripped and beaten with a cane.

PorkRinds

BR

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 02, 2015, 08:05:00 am
Then sprinkled with Maple Syrup and let Fire Ants go Med Evil on your Ass 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boog41

I won't get around to trying the brisket again this weekend because of the ballgame, but hopefully the next. I'll post how it turns out.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

PharmacistHog

I HATE walmart but had to make a trip in there today with the wife (made it out for 43 bucks) and they had whole briskets for 2.98 a pound (usda choice). That aint too bad. I have one aging in the frig or I would have grabbed one.

MO.Hog

September 02, 2015, 09:40:30 pm #15 Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:21:05 am by MO.Hog
On my last brisket I cooked at 225 until internal temp was 145. Then I took brisket off slathered with bbq sauce wrapped it in fool and put it back on until internal temp reached 170. I then unwrapped it and cooked until fat end reached 185.  Wrapped in foil again and put in a warm cooler for about an hour. The whole thing was very tender and juicy. Also did you have a water pan under your grilling rack. This helps keep moisture in throughout the cook.

hogbud

I have and love my cookshack -
Owners manual says 6-10 lb brisket needs to cook at 180 degrees for 8-11 hrs. Recommended wood is hickory or blend of hickory and mesquite. Good luck!

PharmacistHog

Cook brisket to temp and then probe feel. Save yourself some headaches. Those times are approximate and every piece of meat is different.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: baitshop on September 02, 2015, 01:03:46 am
You must have a BIG crockpot...

I was  referring to the 5 pound tips he was trying to cook.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 02, 2015, 08:05:00 am
Quote from: PorkRinds on September 02, 2015, 10:47:03 am
Yep.  Blasphemy.
Quote from: BR on September 02, 2015, 01:02:04 pm
Then sprinkled with Maple Syrup and let Fire Ants go Med Evil on your Ass 

Dang what a Ruff Crowd !!!!  ;) ;) ;) ;)I will put you up against those No Beans in Texas Red bunch I have to live with down here. ::hornsdown::

Boog41

One good thing that happened yesterday (Sat) was my brisket! I took several of you guys suggestions and ended up with perfection!!! Started with about a 12 lb hunk of certified Angus and left the fat on it. I think having fat on it is key to not drying out. Smoked it with apple wood for about 12 hours at 225, then pulled it off and wrapped in foil. I found the recipe for Oklahoma Joe's rub, so that is what I used on it. No BBQ sauce at all. I'll share the Joe's rub recipe if anyone wants it.

Meant to take a before and after pic and post them, but I forgot.

Thanks again for all of you guys suggestions!!

DeltaBoy

Boog41

Before shot. Appx 30 lbs of brisket. Will post the after pic in the morning.

WPS!

Boog41

Can't wait to slice these bad boys up. Thanks again for all the help!

woodrow hog call

Ok for starters, you are going to need to stand your smoker up, you can't expect to get good airflow with it laying down on it's side like that.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Boog41

Woodrow, I take it my attachment is sideways?? Looks upright to me.

PharmacistHog

LSUFan

Pharm can smoke a turd and leave you begging for more, just FYI.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Boog41

Couldn't have been better Pharm. I found the Oklahoma Joe's rub recipe online and made it from scratch. As much trouble as I've had getting brisket down, I think it's my favorite now.

DeltaBoy

Boog41

This may be a really dumb question, so I apologize up front, but does anyone know where you can buy just the "point" of a brisket. You can find just the "flat" anywhere.

I've been working on burnt ends and wish I didn't have to buy the entire brisket to get just the point.

I see tri-tip cuts at Harps. That's not the same thing is it?

majestic

Quote from: Boog41 on July 23, 2018, 06:58:44 pm
This may be a really dumb question, so I apologize up front, but does anyone know where you can buy just the "point" of a brisket. You can find just the "flat" anywhere.

I've been working on burnt ends and wish I didn't have to buy the entire brisket to get just the point.

Pretty sure tri-tip comes from the opposite end of the cow.

Don't know where you live, but you could go to Richard's in Fayetteville and ask for what you want.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

PharmacistHog

Tri-tip comes from the bottom end of the sirloin. I've seen brisket points once at harp's and once in kroger but never again. But I would think places you see flats that are trimmed, you could probably ask the butcher about a point.

Boog41

Had not thought about Richards, but will check there magestic.

Pharm, I've looked at Dimes, Harps and Sams. All have only the pre-packaged flats. I've actually become acquainted with a butcher at Sams who helps me pick out both "choice" and prime" whole briskets and then takes it to the back and cuts the point from the flat.

That's the closest I've come though.

Thanks for you guys thoughts.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boog41 on July 23, 2018, 10:47:41 pm
Had not thought about Richards, but will check there magestic.

Pharm, I've looked at Dimes, Harps and Sams. All have only the pre-packaged flats. I've actually become acquainted with a butcher at Sams who helps me pick out both "choice" and prime" whole briskets and then takes it to the back and cuts the point from the flat.

That's the closest I've come though.

Thanks for you guys thoughts.

If you have a grinder just buy the entire packer and have the guy separate it for you and grind the flat for burgers, etc.  Brisket makes AWESOME burgers and chili. 

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 24, 2018, 09:21:56 am
If you have a grinder just buy the entire packer and have the guy separate it for you and grind the flat for burgers, etc.  Brisket makes AWESOME burgers and chili. 

Great idea....thanks!

HogPharmer

Quote from: Boog41 on July 23, 2018, 06:58:44 pm

You should try "poor man's burnt ends" some time. Just buy a chuck roast with a lot of fat in it. Season and cook it the same way you do a brisket. Once it's done, cube it up then throw it in a foil pan with some of the juices and a bit of sauce and throw it back on the smoker. I was really not expecting much the first time I tried one but it turned out fantastic!
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Boog41

Quote from: HogPharmer on July 25, 2018, 10:16:53 am
You should try "poor man's burnt ends" some time. Just buy a chuck roast with a lot of fat in it. Season and cook it the same way you do a brisket. Once it's done, cube it up then throw it in a foil pan with some of the juices and a bit of sauce and throw it back on the smoker. I was really not expecting much the first time I tried one but it turned out fantastic!

I will do that.... thank you!