Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First time smoker

Started by Coondog Hog, May 27, 2014, 08:25:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coondog Hog

I have aquired a propane smoker and im wanting to give it a try.  What kind of meat is the best for a beginner to start with?
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

PorkRinds

Quote from: Coondog Hog on May 27, 2014, 08:25:04 pm
I have aquired a propane smoker and im wanting to give it a try.  What kind of meat is the best for a beginner to start with?
Pork butt or whole chicken.

cosmodrum

Pork butt, for sure.

Rub it the day before, smoke with hickory or fruit wood. I like a blend so the smoke doesn't overpower the meat.

Smoke it at 275 until 195 degrees in the center by the bone (don't touch the thermometer to the bone). Don't open the smoker often, try to keep it at about once an hour, at most.

When it's done, let it sit for an hour to let the juices redistribute and cool down. Pull the meat, and take the fat cap and squeeze it over the meat and mix. It's something Oklahoma Joe's does and I recently started. I'm a fan.

Go away, batin'

PorkRinds

Great advice. Also  don't get discouraged if you struggle keeping your temp steady. It's probably the hardest part, and there's a learning curve with every smoker. Good thing is it's almost impossible to screw up a pork butt. Just don't take it off too soon or it won't pull like you want it to. You will hit a point where it seems like it won't get any hotter, but don't give up. It'll break through eventually and you will be rewarded for patience.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Coondog Hog on May 27, 2014, 08:25:04 pm

Pork Butt. Sam's has really good Boston Butts. Pretty hard to screw up a pork butt. Gonna smoke a couple Thursday. I love making a big salad and mixing in some pulled pork with it. Awesome meal !

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 28, 2014, 12:40:36 am
Pork Butt. Sam's has really good Boston Butts. Pretty hard to screw up a pork butt. Gonna smoke a couple Thursday. I love making a big salad and mixing in some pulled pork with it. Awesome meal !

Salad?  And here I thought you were a man!

DeltaBoy

Got to eat some veggies to keep the plumbing working.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Junkyard Hog

Definitely a pork shoulder first.  You also need to put a pack of Earl Campbell's on for the last hour or so.  I don't use my smoker without smoking a few hot links.  They're awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twistitup

A perfectly smoked beef brisket is tough.....but worth the effort. Pork is awesome and takes less skill than beef. Start w pork, but don't forget tri tip and brisket
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on May 28, 2014, 03:05:03 pm
A perfectly smoked beef brisket is tough.....but worth the effort. Pork is awesome and takes less skill than beef. Start w pork, but don't forget tri tip and brisket

I've honestly never made a successful brisket.  I've made them edible, and others liked it, but I wasn't ever satisfied.  I've only done about 5 of them, and only been smoking for about 4 years.  But yeah, brisket is not easy and takes forever.  I've done some really good tri-tips though.  Pretty much anything else I can do pretty well.  Anything pork, anything chicken, and any kind of sausage I can knock out of the park.  Brisket is my weakness, and it's so darn expensive I can't bring myself to experiment very often!

cosmodrum

Yeah, brisket prices are fricken stupid now. They are very difficult, too. They can overcook quickly, or stall and seem to never finish.
Go away, batin'

LSUFan

The first thing I ever smoked was a small pig. Injected it with apple cider vinager and apple juice, you had to spoon out the back straps!

PharmacistHog

I've got some canadian bacon smoking right now. Been curing for two weeks.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

TomasPistola

Was thinking about putting some corn on to smoke for a while.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

twistitup

Smoked coon is in my future
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ImHogginIt

Quote from: twistitup on May 28, 2014, 05:27:26 pm

I reported your insensitive racist post to a modernator  :-[

LSUFan

Quote from: twistitup on May 28, 2014, 05:27:26 pm
Don't knock it till you try it!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 28, 2014, 05:31:29 pm
I reported your insensitive racist post to a modernator  :-[

They go great with crackers

majestic

I thought the whole point of a gas or electric smoker was the ease of temperature control? I have a stick burner that I have to fight with to keep under 250.

A butt with some water in the pan should be infallible. Cowboy's in Batesville has some good rub.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

LSUFan

PharmacistHog

Quote from: majestic on May 28, 2014, 06:40:18 pm
I thought the whole point of a gas or electric smoker was the ease of temperature control? I have a stick burner that I have to fight with to keep under 250.

A butt with some water in the pan should be infallible. Cowboy's in Batesville has some good rub.

I always had it in my mind that those gas smokers were kinda tricky?  Seems like an electric would be no brainer, just hard to clean.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

TomasPistola

Quote from: LSUFan on May 28, 2014, 07:03:46 pm

That's what I use with a little salt and cavendar's added.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

majestic

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 28, 2014, 07:04:38 pm
I always had it in my mind that those gas smokers were kinda tricky?  Seems like an electric would be no brainer, just hard to clean.
I've never used either. But if you can set a temperature and walk away, seems foolproof.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: majestic on May 28, 2014, 07:46:40 pm
I've never used either. But if you can set a temperature and walk away, seems foolproof.

I was thinking I'd read somewhere about the inefficiency of the gas flame burning and the smoke not behaving the same way???  I may have dreamed it.

majestic

Delicious~Dreams

I have difficulty in using a smoker but I still try....I'm determined to cook a great brisket. :)

PharmacistHog

PorkRinds

Quote from: majestic on May 28, 2014, 06:40:18 pm

Oh crap. My bad. I didn't even see that he wasn't using charcoal. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 28, 2014, 08:31:15 pm
Oh crap. My bad. I didn't even see that he wasn't using charcoal. 

I have an offset barrel type smoker, a smaller stick burner, and a large and small egg. I haven't lit anything besides an egg in a year and a half. I can't recommend them enough. They are expensive, but have a short learning curve and are basically set it and forget it once you get a few cooks under your belt.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 28, 2014, 08:43:11 pm
I have an offset barrel type smoker, a smaller stick burner, and a large and small egg. I haven't lit anything besides an egg in a year and a half. I can't recommend them enough. They are expensive, but have a short learning curve and are basically set it and forget it once you get a few cooks under your belt.

My next purchase is one of the primos I texted you. By the middle of the summer hopefully.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 28, 2014, 09:12:08 pm
My next purchase is one of the primos I texted you. By the middle of the summer hopefully.

Skip the heat deflector/platesetter or whatever they call it. Buy adjustable rig from ceramic grill store instead. You will thank me.

LSUFan

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on May 28, 2014, 08:07:28 pm
I have difficulty in using a smoker but I still try....I'm determined to cook a great brisket. :)
But, can you smoke a bird?

cosmodrum

Quote from: LSUFan on May 28, 2014, 09:23:41 pm

I just finished off the rest of the best bird I've ever made.
Go away, batin'

civilHOG

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 28, 2014, 09:16:48 pm
Skip the heat deflector/platesetter or whatever they call it. Buy adjustable rig from ceramic grill store instead. You will thank me.

^^
This. The AR is a definite must. If the primo is compatible with the spider from the ceramic grill store, I'd highly recommend that as well. The spider + Cast Iron grate was a game changer for me.

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: LSUFan on May 28, 2014, 09:23:41 pm

Yes I can....I did today, with BBQ Sauce and it was really good.  I was able to maintain the proper juiciness...without over cooking it...sometimes it's hard to do.  :)

DeltaBoy

School almost out and it time to try out my Beer can chicken rig I got for my Weber.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Wildhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 03, 2014, 10:53:30 am
School is almost out and it is time to try out my Beer can chicken rig I got for my Weber.

fify, sort of.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Delicious~Dreams

I think the beer is supposed to go on the chicken not consumed by the cook. ;) lol!

DeltaBoy

I going to try pineapple juice and do a Tropic Jerk bird.

Grizzlyfan

Does anyone have one of the ceramic grills from Sam's? The Egg knockoff.  Vision Grills Kamado they are called.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 10, 2014, 09:42:44 am
Does anyone have one of the ceramic grills from Sam's? The Egg knockoff.  Vision Grills Kamado they are called.

I don't, but I've looked at one thinking I might buy one for my camp.  I like some of the features of them, but they just don't seem to be quality made.  I know that just picking up the lid and then picking up the lid on my egg, theres a HUGE difference to the feel and the weight.  If I wasn't getting an egg, I'd look at Primo or Kamado Joe, personally, but that's just my opinion. 

ImHogginIt

Finally tried this last weekend on a couple butts. Loved it

LSUFan

DeltaBoy

I have been using this,

Boog41

This stuff is really good lightly sprinkled on potato salad also.

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 11, 2015, 01:33:35 pm
I have been using this,

I like a sweeter taste, KC style. When I use Famous Dave's I mix in raw sugar with it so that the mix is about 2/3 FD and 1/3 raw sugar.

Boog41

Been mixing this myself for about the past year. I make a couple of quarts at a time so that is lasts me a while. FYI for mixing in bulk, in case you don't know, three teaspoons = one tablespoon.

BR

Pork butt or chicken Thighs... Easy stuff, cook to internal Temp not time...
Fruit Wood: Apple, Cherry, Peach
Rubs: Plowboys Yard Bird Rub
BBQ Sauce: If you use Store bought,  Head Country

Join BR's Food Page:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

DeltaBoy

I got to try Head Country cause I been using Sweet Baby Rays for the past 10 years except for using some Kraft hickory smoked as a base for a mad scientist concoction.

I also use Little Pig for smokies.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/little-pig-barbecue-sauce/1755393