Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tri Tip

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, December 26, 2013, 08:00:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

tri tip came out good, just the wrong rub.  we picked up 2 more from the store and will be using this rub

Pappy's Choice Seasoning

PP

wholehog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 27, 2014, 09:52:13 am
tri tip came out good, just the wrong rub.  we picked up 2 more from the store and will be using this rub

Pappy's Choice Seasoning

That looks good.  Try this one sometime.  It is different but really good. 
www.willinghams.com/product/willinghams-original-mild-seasoning/

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 27, 2014, 09:52:13 am

Pappy's Choice Seasoning

PP

looks Good.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BR

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 26, 2013, 08:00:51 am

Best damn slab of meat to ever grace my plate.....and can't find it anywhere other than California, @%^&&*#$&%$#$^(%%^#$#$(!!

PP
WOW
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Pulled(PP)pork

luckily, that turned out to not be so true, and can be bought locally....but not everyone carries it. 

PP

Hog_Swanson

Tri tip time...  These babies will be ready for the smoker in 10 days.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jacobp

I had two come in my butcher box today. Will be throwing those on the Weber Summit Charcoal for the game tomorrow.

wilyhawg

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 19, 2014, 09:13:38 pm
Thanks. I love cooking. My egg gets used a LOT. SOOOOO worth the money.

Same here. I've had mine for 6 years and use it 2-3 times a week even in winter. Tried about everything except Tri-Tip so its in the on deck circle. Pizza on it awesome also.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on September 20, 2019, 10:26:55 am
Tri tip time...  These babies will be ready for the smoker in 10 days.

So you season them, wrap them, vacuum seal them, then freeze or refrigerate ? For ten days.

I will usually try to put my rub on the day before, and refrigerate overnight before I smoke. I'm assuming you can tell a difference in the ten day thing ?
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 03, 2019, 05:18:40 pm
So you season them, wrap them, vacuum seal them, then freeze or refrigerate ? For ten days.

I will usually try to put my rub on the day before, and refrigerate overnight before I smoke. I'm assuming you can tell a difference in the ten day thing ?
Flip them over everyday in the fridge.  Take them out, wash all the salt and pickling spice off of them.  Put your favorite rub on and smoke them. 

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hog_Swanson

I forgot to take pictures after I took them out of the smoker.  Lot of beer was consumed over those ten days.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on October 07, 2019, 04:42:58 pm
Flip them over everyday in the fridge.  Take them out, wash all the salt and pickling spice off of them.  Put your favorite rub on and smoke them. 

Sounds like a play on pastrami doing them like that.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 07, 2019, 08:55:05 pm
Sounds like a play on pastrami doing them like that.
That is exactly what I was doing.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Bacon

Discovered tri tips when my parents lived in Nevada for short time.  They have since moved back to Arkansas and have a hard time finding them.

I hear they are becoming more popular. I can now find them in the stores in South Arkansas.

We slow cook them in a crockpot. Mmm tasty.

jacobp

I can honestly say I've never thought of putting a tri tip in a crock pot. hmmm. probably still won't, but interesting.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: jacobp on October 08, 2019, 02:53:28 pm
I can honestly say I've never thought of putting a tri tip in a crock pot. hmmm. probably still won't, but interesting.

Seems like they would get really tough in a crockpot. 

Bacon

I will admit it is not as good as smoking tri tips with my PK grill. But if crockpot it right it'll melt in your mouth.

jacobp

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 08, 2019, 03:06:51 pm
Seems like they would get really tough in a crockpot. 
I have no desire to try it. Its either on the weber summit charcoal or on the firepit.

EconHawg

Reverse seared one on the pit boss this weekend for the first time and it was awesome. Will be doing that again some time soon.

Bacon

Will be smoking tri tip on my PK grill this weekend. Pics soon come

EconHawg

Reverse seared my 2nd tri tip tonight on the pit boss. My probe stopped working at some point, so I just had to wing it on time, but still turned out just right. 

Last time I seared it with my flame shield open and burned the outside a little bit.  This time I kept it closed and it turned out much better, and looked prettier too. I'm pretty impressed with the temp that grill will get to on hi.

/sarcasm on

January 18, 2020, 08:21:27 pm #72 Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:36:24 pm by /sarcasm on
tri-tip with grilled potatoes & bacon-wrappped green beans 😋https://share.icloud.com/photos/0oPZjrBUmo7arC-cHd5qISwag#Home

woodrow hog call

Quote from: /sarcasm on on January 18, 2020, 08:21:27 pm
tri-tip with grilled potatoes & bacon-wrappped green beans 😋https://share.icloud.com/photos/0oPZjrBUmo7arC-cHd5qISwag#Home

Looks like it turned out great, I can almost smell it through the screen.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hogapalooza

February 16, 2020, 11:12:37 pm #74 Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:43:30 pm by Hogapalooza
I 1st had tri tip in Modesto Ca 1992.  It is a CA cut of meat.  But it's all over now, find it most anywhere.  Best served slow cooked over hardwood imo. The 1st taste ever has to be a corner PC, cut directly off the grill, and that has to cold beer poured over it just before eating it.  In fact, the 1st tailgate ever at the Gardens for the USC football game was thrown by Hogvillle and the meat if the day was a few 100 lbs of tri tip. 
The Original

hogbud

Well, about a decade after this thread started I did my first Tri-trip this weekend. Good lord I have missed out. Cooked several for fajitas and very few tortillas used as folks just demolished them solo.