Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Heath stacks up....

Started by Dillon23, February 10, 2006, 08:30:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillon23

Heath was named one of the 5 coaches waiting in the wings by Sports Illustrated in 2001.  Here are the records of Heath and the other 4 listed over the last 4 years.

02-03      03-04     04-05     05-06

Stan Heath          9-19       12-16     18-12      15-7   Arkansas

Leonard Perry       17-12      11-18     15-16     17-5    Idaho

John Pelphrey       14-14      12-16     10-18     16-5    South Alabama

Jeff Ruland           17-12      11-18     15-16     17-5    Iona

Jay Wright           15-16       18-17     24-8      18-2     Villanova

It looks like the only real good choice would have been Jay Wright, although they all appear to be ahead of Heath this year.

hogfankb

I would not say having 2 more wins than Heath in those conferences would be any better than his record. Villanova has a good squad though.

hogfan064

It's alot easier to win at Arkansas than Iona, Idaho, or South Alabama.

hogfankb

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 10, 2006, 08:42:29 am

I wouldn't say it is easier to win at arkansas. Recruit? Yes. But both teams players aren't going up against the same level of talent.

Deuce Pigelow

Huh??

nwarazfan

Quote from: Dillon23 on February 10, 2006, 08:30:25 am
Heath was named one of the 5 coaches waiting in the wings by Sports Illustrated in 2001.  Here are the records of Heath and the other 4 listed over the last 4 years.

02-03      03-04     04-05     05-06

Stan Heath          9-19       12-16     18-12      15-7   Arkansas

Leonard Perry       17-12      11-18     15-16     17-5    Idaho

John Pelphrey       14-14      12-16     10-18     16-5    South Alabama

Jeff Ruland           17-12      11-18     15-16     17-5    Iona

Jay Wright           15-16       18-17     24-8      18-2     Villanova

It looks like the only real good choice would have been Jay Wright, although they all appear to be ahead of Heath this year.

That is some deep analysis.  Don't worry about telling us the story on why changes were made at each of those schools when they got the jobs.  Don't bother thinking about each schools situation as far as talent and "atmosphere" around the program.

Dillon23

Dear Nwarazfan,

I'm not Rick Schaeffer, I have a job and I don't have time to write a book on the history of Iona basketball.....I just thought I would see what happened to all the coaches mentioned in the article.  If you don't like my information, then don't read the post and just move on, or do your own research and add to it.  That is the point in posting, to gain information from others who may know more about the situation.  Thanks for your two cents.

hoggystyle78

I know one thing for sure, you can bet you ass that west virginia is happy that we hired Heath away from them. Their program was in at least as bad a shape as the Hogs when their coach took over and all he's done is get them to number 10 in the latest poll. And don't give me any schitt about the conference they play in because if Arkansas was in the Big East this year we would be worse than we are.

hogsanity

Wv has 2 or 3 guys that can flat out shoot.  I am not sure there are 3 players uin the whole SEC that shhot as well as the 3 on the WV team.  And yes, it is the coaches responsibility to recruit guys that can shoot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

silvertip

You've gotta be kidding, right? I'm on my way to warrennolan.com to check the RPI of Iona(!), Idaho(1), & S. Alabama(1)---as well as the conferences they play in.

Records at those schools are just as inflated as Mike Anderson's at UAB & that weak-sister conference he plays in. I will return with the facts in a while---not in this post but later in this thread.

hogman64

Quote from: Dillon23 on February 10, 2006, 11:31:08 am
Dear Nwarazfan,

I'm not Rick Schaeffer, I have a job and I don't have time to write a book on the history of Iona basketball.....I just thought I would see what happened to all the coaches mentioned in the article.  If you don't like my information, then don't read the post and just move on, or do your own research and add to it.  That is the point in posting, to gain information from others who may know more about the situation.  Thanks for your two cents.

Nice reply.. Occasionally I see some posters come back and criticize someone for not doing extensive research like they are paid to be a law clerk for a supreme court justice or something...Silvertip is one of the worst as he jumped on me for a post one time and ranted about I should do more research when the post was entirely factual, it just didnt carry the research to an extensive level, just as  your originial post didnt... this is a place to post and bring forth ideas and shouldnt require someone  that has hundreds of other things to do during the day to go thru  extensive research, we all dont live for researching statistics as some of you obviously  do but still can add things to the discussion.....as long as the post is factual , which this original post was, just add additional facts and points of view if you want, lay off the poster, first of all it makes you look like you have nothing to do in life but research sports facts and second of all he didnt deserve  the rant..........

silvertip

Dear Nwarazfan,

Dillon23, thanks for the good info. We can always use posters around here who bring info to support their points.

Could you please tell me where you got that data? I need a site that can tell me teams' records year after year & really nice would be a site that lists a schools game-by-game results each year.

All that said, I think you have a serious error in that data. Idaho this year is 3-17, not 17-5. I even checked to see if Perry is indeed the Idaho coach, and yes, that's right. Looks like Perry is on a steady downhill slide after winning with inherited(?) players.

Otherwise, thanks for the interesting points. Good stuff.

Hawgon

It would seem that the SI curse is alive and well.

hogfankb

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams
Quote from: silvertip on February 10, 2006, 12:49:29 pm
Dear Nwarazfan,

Dillon23, thanks for the good info. We can always use posters around here who bring info to support their points.

Could you please tell me where you got that data? I need a site that can tell me teams' records year after year & really nice would be a site that lists a schools game-by-game results each year.

All that said, I think you have a serious error in that data. Idaho this year is 3-17, not 17-5. I even checked to see if Perry is indeed the Idaho coach, and yes, that's right. Looks like Perry is on a steady downhill slide after winning with inherited(?) players.

Pick a team. Any team.

silvertip

February 10, 2006, 01:09:18 pm #15 Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 01:12:05 pm by silvertip
Quote from: hogman64 on February 10, 2006, 12:33:33 pm
Dear Nwarazfan,

Nice reply.. Occasionally I see some posters come back and criticize someone for not doing extensive research like they are paid to be a law clerk for a supreme court justice or something...Silvertip is one of the worst as he jumped on me for a post one time and ranted about I should do more research when the post was entirely factual, it just didnt carry the research to an extensive level, just as  your originial post didnt... this is a place to post and bring forth ideas and shouldnt require someone  that has hundreds of other things to do during the day to go thru  extensive research, we all dont live for researching statistics as some of you obviously  do but still can add things to the discussion.....as long as the post is factual , which this original post was, just add additional facts and points of view if you want, lay off the poster, first of all it makes you look like you have nothing to do in life but research sports facts and second of all he didnt deserve  the rant..........

Hogman064, I'll tell you why I have so much time to research & post. I have an extremely easy & well paying job in Aviation Weather Observing. I work 3pm to 11pm, in an office all by myself, with permission to use the office computer. Most days, I "work" about 1 minute per hour. So I have close to 8 hours a day that I am free to research.

In addition, my "significant other" works a normal "day shift" so I don't have to answer to her from 8am 'til I leave for work at 2pm. So, I have as much as 14 hrs per day to do whatever I please.

Now man, I will tell you exactly what will prompt me to "jump your case" or any other poster. When anyone bashes Heath or any Hawg BB player with assertions that are not factual or especially AGAINST the facts, then I will point that out. And yes, I am commonly arrogant or sarcastic about it---because coaches & players have feelings, careers, and families as well. I don't think it's proper to bash, e.g., Mustain or DJ or Matt Jones in order to criticize their coaches.

A mild example is your post above that says it's "easier to win" at Arkansas than at Idaho, Iona, or S Alabama. Knowing your style, I know that such a statement reflects your desire to constantly demean Heath's record. As usual, I will soon bring facts to this thread to refute that idea.

Yes, you are entitled to your own opinions. But not your own reality. If you don't appreciate my refuting your posts, then don't make strong statements bashing the program without facts or in contrary to the facts. For my part, I will try to let up on the "attitude" in replying to your points.

silvertip

Quote from: hogfankb on February 10, 2006, 12:52:00 pm
Quote from: silvertip on February 10, 2006, 12:49:29 pm
Dear Nwarazfan,

Pick a team. Any team.

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't have much time to look, but it appears that site only gives this year's results, etc. What I'm looking for is past years results.

As far as the current season, I think warrennolan.com is the best single source.

hogman64

Quote from: silvertip on February 10, 2006, 01:09:18 pm
Dear Nwarazfan,

Hogman064, I'll tell you why I have so much time to research & post. I have an extremely easy & well paying job in Aviation Weather Observing. I work 3pm to 11pm, in an office all by myself, with permission to use the office computer. Most days, I "work" about 1 minute per hour. So I have close to 8 hours a day that I am free to research.

In addition, my "significant other" works a normal "day shift" so I don't have to answer to her from 8am 'til I leave for work at 2pm. So, I have as much as 14 hrs per day to do whatever I please.

Now man, I will tell you exactly what will prompt me to "jump your case" or any other poster. When anyone bashes Heath or any Hawg BB player with assertions that are not factual or especially AGAINST the facts, then I will point that out. And yes, I am commonly arrogant or sarcastic about it---because coaches & players have feelings, careers, and families as well. I don't think it's proper to bash, e.g., Mustain or DJ or Matt Jones in order to criticize their coaches.

A mild example is your post above that says it's "easier to win" at Arkansas than at Idaho, Iona, or S Alabama. Knowing your style, I know that such a statement reflects your desire to constantly demean Heath's record. As usual, I will soon bring facts to this thread to refute that idea.

Yes, you are entitled to your own opinions. But not your own reality. If you don't appreciate my refuting your posts, then don't make strong statements bashing the program without facts or in contrary to the facts. For my part, I will try to let up on the "attitude" in replying to your points.

First of all its fine and great you have the time to research, maybe you can just give people a little more of a break that dont.....if they arent factual then have it  but most importantly, you need to read the identity of the poster a little more closely.............
I am HOGMAN64..........you are confusing me with HOGFAN064.... in this post you are saying i posted something that he did.......maybe that has happened in the past. you ranted on me one day when you shouldnt have... so maybe you should  take a little more time before letting someone have it and make  sure you have your  "facts straight" as I know you are big on facts and statistics...........

hogfankb

"Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't have much time to look, but it appears that site only gives this year's results, etc. What I'm looking for is past years results.

As far as the current season, I think warrennolan.com is the best single source."

Warrennolan is a great site.

ESPN does have past years but only back to 2002. If you click on a team's schedule in the top left corner their is a drop down box that will let you select a year.

Dillon23

Well, thanks for the support....I did make an error in my post, now that I look at it...I put the same record for Idaho and Iona....I guess they look too much alike, thanks Nwarazfan for pointing that out.  Idaho should have been :

02-03      03-04   04-05   05-06
13-15     14-16    8-22    4-17

At least we didn't hire him.

silvertip

Quote from: silvertip on February 10, 2006, 11:41:53 am

You've gotta be kidding, right? I'm on my way to warrennolan.com to check the RPI of Iona(!), Idaho(1), & S. Alabama(1)---as well as the conferences they play in.

Records at those schools are just as inflated as Mike Anderson's at UAB & that weak-sister conference he plays in. I will return with the facts in a while---not in this post but later in this thread.

Ok, some facts as promised. Young coaches on the way up commonly start at small-time conferences & get attention by DOMINATING in those confs. The idea being---if you can't win big in the WAC or Sun Belt---then you are just another average coach.

Good example was Eddie Sutton who made his name at Weber State & Creighton---before the MVC became so tough.

Here are the school RPIs and their conf RPIs. I say that the idea that it's easier to win at Arkansas is specious:

Iona, SOS 161, RPI 70, MAAC conference RPI 12th with 0 top-50 teams, 5 top 150 teams and 5 teams below 150 in RPI.

S. AL, SOS 194, RPI 94, Sun Belt conf RPI 17th with 0 top 50 teams, 3 top 150 teams, and 8 teams below 150.

Idaho, SOS 173, RPI 310(!), WAC conf RPI 11th with 2 top 50 teams, 6 top 150, and 3 teams below 150.

ARKANSAS, SOS 85, RPI 67, SEC conf 4th with 5 top 50 teams, and all 12 teams above 150 which means zero below 150.

Anyone that says it's "easier" to win in the SEC than amongst those bottom feeders is wasting their time with me. Yeah, they're all playing at "their level". But how do you explain that a good young coach can make his name by kicking butt against the old-timers that spend their mediocre carreers at that level?

It's harder to win big in the big-time confs and that's why few make it there and fewer stick.
Data source--warrennolan.com 

taintlint

Dear Nwarazfan,

That is funny.

silvertip

Quote from: hogman64 on February 10, 2006, 01:17:51 pm
Dear Nwarazfan,

First of all its fine and great you have the time to research, maybe you can just give people a little more of a break that dont.....if they arent factual then have it  but most importantly, you need to read the identity of the poster a little more closely.............
I am HOGMAN64..........you are confusing me with HOGFAN064.... in this post you are saying i posted something that he did.......maybe that has happened in the past. you ranted on me one day when you shouldnt have... so maybe you should  take a little more time before letting someone have it and make  sure you have your  "facts straight" as I know you are big on facts and statistics...........

Well, hogman64, sorry for confusing you with hogfan064, who posted the bit about "easier to win at Arkansas..."
Which to me, is a statement that tries to dismiss Stan's success in turning the program around.

But the rest of my reply does pertain to you, not hogfan064. What gave me the idea that you are one who bashes Heath without supporting evidence---is the Hog helmet under your name. I was thinking--"Oh, him again."
Meaning I associated the Hog helmet & your name with Stan-bashing. I was right about that.

I just went & reviewed about 30 of your last posts. Although you are less "rabid" than a lot of Stan's critics, you still call for him to be fired & you still insist that his record shows no improvement. Which of course is contrary to the simple record of progress as listed by Dillon in the 1st post above.

I'm not too impressed by your excuse that you don't have time to do a little research. I've noticed that you have plenty of time to post some lengthy responses & participate in long-running threads. I don't care if you don't want to get the facts, don't have time, or don't know how. When you repeatedly bash Heath's record & call for his dismissal, while denying his rebuilding success, you deserve to be called on it. 

silvertip

Quote from: Dillon23 on February 10, 2006, 01:28:53 pm
Well, thanks for the support....I did make an error in my post, now that I look at it...I put the same record for Idaho and Iona....I guess they look too much alike, thanks Nwarazfan for pointing that out.  Idaho should have been :

02-03      03-04   04-05   05-06
13-15     14-16    8-22    4-17

At least we didn't hire him.

Actually, Dillon, it was me that pointed out the correct record for Idaho, not Nwarazfan.

Which I wouldn't have mentioned except I'm returning to ask again---Can you tell me where you got those season records for past years? Thanks.

hogman64

Quote from: silvertip on February 10, 2006, 03:54:54 pm
Quote from: hogman64 on February 10, 2006, 01:17:51 pm
Dear Nwarazfan,

Well, hogman64, sorry for confusing you with hogfan064, who posted the bit about "easier to win at Arkansas..."
Which to me, is a statement that tries to dismiss Stan's success in turning the program around.

But the rest of my reply does pertain to you, not hogfan064. What gave me the idea that you are one who bashes Heath without supporting evidence---is the Hog helmet under your name. I was thinking--"Oh, him again."
Meaning I associated the Hog helmet & your name with Stan-bashing. I was right about that.

I just went & reviewed about 30 of your last posts. Although you are less "rabid" than a lot of Stan's critics, you still call for him to be fired & you still insist that his record shows no improvement. Which of course is contrary to the simple record of progress as listed by Dillon in the 1st post above.

I'm not too impressed by your excuse that you don't have time to do a little research. I've noticed that you have plenty of time to post some lengthy responses & participate in long-running threads. I don't care if you don't want to get the facts, don't have time, or don't know how. When you repeatedly bash Heath's record & call for his dismissal, while denying his rebuilding success, you deserve to be called on it. 

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt , but have decided you are strange ...since you have taken the time to review my posts you should also know I have said alot of good things about Stan Heath and really wouldnt consider myself a Heath basher at all....However I have come to the conclusion that he is never going to get the job done, tho I have said before I hope I am proven wrong and that I like Stan and the person he is.....give me some examples where my posts are factually incorrect?  point out an area I should have researched in order not to post something that wasnt factual..........It is my opinion that Heath's results have not shown enough improvement in 4 years and alot of other peoples opinions too...maybe you are trying to replace common sense with statistical data , when a person watches or listens to every game you can get a sense of how the program is going, and basically our program sucks and is not even a blip on the national basketball radar screen...sorry I dont have a link to point you to a national radar screen so i can back that up with statistical data....you clearly would be better off ligtning up just a little silvertip, that one rant you came on to me with  I thought  your blood pressure must have been about ready to explode over nothing, you dont get the benefit of  doubt from me anymore you seem to be a basic jerk  and if you want to  "call me" on any specific post lets debate it, but quit dealing in generalities about my posts.