Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some SEC Media Days observations

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 15, 2015, 02:34:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Brice Jones of TexAgs is a prime example of why nobody should treat recruiting cheerleader "journalists" as though they are college football experts. This guy was on Nashville sports talk radio today doing his best to discredit Arkansas. He started by calling the "Pig call," as he called it, "hokey." This from a guy who covers a school with a bushel basket full of legitimately hokey, embarrassing traditions.

He went on to say Arkansas had no chance of winning the West, primarily because "all their defense is now in the NFL." Yes, this was the depth of the discussion. Ah, but he insisted that Texas A&M had every right to be talked about on the same level as Auburn as a national contender.

Anyway -- according to Jones, the reason why TAM didn't bring Kyle Allen to #SECMD15 was because the Aggies intend to give Kyler Murray every chance to win the starting QB job. The guy said Murray was the best high school QB he had ever seen. Here's hoping Murray starts against Arkansas.

I heard other discussions from SEC East-centric media. Generally, it's apparent they do not know much about Arkansas. The repeated statement was that Arkansas could be much improved and still win only 7 games this season, because of the schedule.

Clearly, nobody among these guys knows what to expect from Arkansas' defense.
[CENSORED]!

JackJohnson

Arkansas was "much improved" and won 4 more games then the previous season AND left 3 or 4 more W's on the field against A&M, Bama, MSU and Mizzou.  If we are "much improved" again- which we are going to be- then we WILL win more then 7, and that number will likely be 9 or greater

As for our D:  All I know is the D as of 7/15/2015 is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> then our D as of 7/15/2014.  Will we find the playmakers that ended up making that D a top 10 scoring and total D is really the only question.  But right out of the gate against UTEP our D is going to be light years better then last year in the 1st game against AU

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 15, 2015, 02:34:54 pm
Brice Jones of TexAgs is a prime example of why nobody should treat recruiting cheerleader "journalists" as though they are college football experts. This guy was on Nashville sports talk radio today doing his best to discredit Arkansas. He started by calling the "Pig call," as he called it, "hokey." This from a guy who covers a school with a bushel basket full of legitimately hokey, embarrassing traditions.

He went on to say Arkansas had no chance of winning the West, primarily because "all their defense is now in the NFL." Yes, this was the depth of the discussion. Ah, but he insisted that Texas A&M had every right to be talked about on the same level as Auburn as a national contender.

Anyway -- according to Jones, the reason why TAM didn't bring Kyle Allen to #SECMD15 was because the Aggies intend to give Kyler Murray every chance to win the starting QB job. The guy said Murray was the best high school QB he had ever seen. Here's hoping Murray starts against Arkansas.

I heard other discussions from SEC East-centric media. Generally, it's apparent they do not know much about Arkansas. The repeated statement was that Arkansas could be much improved and still win only 7 games this season, because of the schedule.

I hope Arkansas carries a big huge chip on its shoulder this entire season.

WilsonHog

I realize I am almost certainly in the minority, especially in today's society where blogging and internet access has made everyone an expert.

I long for the days of Orville Henry, Blackie Sherrod, Frank Deford, Dan Jenkins, etc. Writers. Journalists. The stage has become too crowded now, and is like a room full of five-year olds fighting for the audience's attention. The hack you mention is but one of probably 1,000 examples.

I've gotten to the point that if someone wants me to read their stuff - on any medium - their name and reputation has to be an established one. Otherwise, I pass.

Hawghiggs

I hope no one gives us credit. I don't care what they think. I only care about what we do on and off the field.  By the end of October everyone in the country is going to be talking about how we are potentially gong to win the SEC and make the playoff.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 15, 2015, 02:48:46 pm
I realize I am almost certainly in the minority, especially in today's society where blogging and internet access has made everyone an expert.

I long for the days of Orville Henry, Blackie Sherrod, Frank Deford, Dan Jenkins, etc. Writers. Journalists. The stage has become too crowded now, and is like a room full of five-year olds fighting for the audience's attention. The hack you mention is but one of probably 1,000 examples.

I know what you're saying, and I miss those days as well.  But those guys had agendas they were pushing just like the hacks of this day.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Vantage 8 dude

All need be said about his total clown is HE'S AN AGGIE!!! Does that explain it well enough?

hoglady

I thought the panel guys on SEC Network today were very good - McElroy and Spears especially. They knew what they were talking about regarding Arkansas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

I'd just as soon have them let the "national" guys there ask the questions. The local guys ask questions as it pertains to their school and the coach on the podium. I understand it, but most times it just a chance to bring up their school in another's party.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 15, 2015, 03:51:39 pm
All need be said about his total clown is HE'S AN AGGIE!!! Does that explain it well enough?

Agree.  Any Aggie should NEVER say a single word about any other teams' traditions.  The Aggies have the weakest traditions in the country -- Gig 'em Ags?  Dumb as dirt.

They've always been so eat up with the Longhorns and finding ways to copy them they've lost sight of how stupid they are.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

BorderPatrol

LMAO @ Brice Jones.

We should send HogCard to Media Days with a press pass. It would be basically the same thing.

bp

HOGINTENNESSEE

Jek Tono Porkins

What a joke. Who at this time last year could have predicted that Spaight would be a 1st team All-SEC linebacker? Nobody knew who Spaight was. There is no reason that can't happen again. Yeah we did lose two good defensive linemen but there's no reason others can't step up. I'm rooting for Bijhon Jackson to be a one-man wrecking crew.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

OLDHOG

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 15, 2015, 03:51:39 pm
Yes, that explains it all.

regi

You don't have to worry about that bias with one of the Arkansas Rival's recruiting guys, because he is a UGA fan.

redeye

What's new?