Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full back Depth

Started by RebelW, July 15, 2015, 12:26:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

When Alex Collins and JWill are on the side lines and Kody Walker is running the ball, who will be our depth at full back to lead block? I understand we have Colquit, but was wondering if yall think they might use Freshmen Austin Cantrell at FB ? What are yalls thoughts?

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: RebelW on July 15, 2015, 12:26:53 am
When Alex Collins and JWill are on the side lines and Kody Walker is running the ball, who will be our depth at full back to lead block? I understand we have Colquit, but was wondering if yall think they might use Freshmen Austin Cantrell at FB ? What are yalls thoughts?

Doubt we run into this, barring injury, but I could see Cantrell at FB. Not sure if they want to redshirt him though.

bennyl08

I see Cantrell more in a role similar to Hernandez for the Patriots. Sort of jack of all. So it is possible, but I'd guess they go more with Colquitt. Also, don't forget about Chris Jones at FB. Coaches were really excited about him early on before that faded away. So, he has solid potential at fb, he just needs to reach it. I figure they go more with a traditional fullback with Walker at tailback if they use one at all. Though, on a passing play, having Cantrell and Walker back there could be very powerful. Either could stay and block, or go out and catch, or there could be a devastating lead draw.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

NLRHog92

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 15, 2015, 12:47:00 am
I see Cantrell more in a role similar to Hernandez for the Patriots. Sort of jack of all. So it is possible, but I'd guess they go more with Colquitt. Also, don't forget about Chris Jones at FB. Coaches were really excited about him early on before that faded away. So, he has solid potential at fb, he just needs to reach it. I figure they go more with a traditional fullback with Walker at tailback if they use one at all. Though, on a passing play, having Cantrell and Walker back there could be very powerful. Either could stay and block, or go out and catch, or there could be a devastating lead draw.

He'll be fun to watch spread all over the field, although not sure he'll be as killer an option as Hernandez was (had to.) I really like Chris Jones a lot too, I guess Colquitt has just proven to be better. And if Walker is tailback, I wouldn't be surprised for it to be in the jumbo/big package and have a lineman at FB. I'm not 100% sure they would move him there from his G spot and put another body in his place, but they showed willingness to have him play a role with the trick play last year. I also think Ledbetter would be great at that position if it came down to a big set. He's crazy athletic (standing backflip), appears to love to contact and at 6-3, 280 he moves really well. Could just see him knocking some guys block and sealing off a path to the end zone for Walker.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RebelW on July 15, 2015, 12:26:53 am

I don't think it would be surprising to see Cantrell show up on the other side of the ball getting some reps at LB. I know everyone thinks he is going to be on the Offensive side of the ball and he has certainly demonstrated talent over there, but we need LB'er depth and a kid his size, with his quickness and speed might be able to have an impact more quickly on defense.

Colquitt is the other FB right now.
Go Hogs Go!

RebelW

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 15, 2015, 06:18:12 am
I don't think it would be surprising to see Cantrell show up on the other side of the ball getting some reps at LB. I know everyone thinks he is going to be on the Offensive side of the ball and he has certainly demonstrated talent over there, but we need LB'er depth and a kid his size, with his quickness and speed might be able to have an impact more quickly on defense.

That is very true, I have thought about he same thing! As aggressive as he is and how physical he is, it would be amazing to see him at Mike or Sam !

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 15, 2015, 06:18:12 am

Said the same thing after watching his HUDL video.  We need the depth and Cantrell has the tools.  Also strikes me as a team player.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 15, 2015, 01:43:49 am
I also think Ledbetter would be great at that position if it came down to a big set. He's crazy athletic (standing backflip), appears to love to contact and at 6-3, 280 he moves really well. Could just see him knocking some guys block and sealing off a path to the end zone for Walker.

You didn't have to put that thought in my mind!!  It's gonna take me an hour or two to get that out of there!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rhames

Kody walker is going to be the full back all the time.

Other than maybe earlier in the season I don't see him getting many carries at HB.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rhames on July 15, 2015, 08:41:22 am
Kody walker is going to be the full back all the time.

Other than maybe earlier in the season I don't see him getting many carries at HB.

Wanna bet?

He'll be in a lot of special situations, and he'll certainly be in during a lot of mop up situations.

I'll bet he ends the season with 400+ yards rushing on the year.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rhames

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 09:41:25 am
Wanna bet?

He'll be in a lot of special situations, and he'll certainly be in during a lot of mop up situations.

I'll bet he ends the season with 400+ yards rushing on the year.

Yeah I'll take that bet

Kody walker will be the full back and the freshman will get mop up duty and the third string carries by the a&m game,  probably before

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

RebelW

The way he played in the sprig game and the measures he went for the coaches to give him a good shot at RB and got another year of eligibility and you think all he's going to do is play full back this year?.. Wow

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: RebelW on July 15, 2015, 09:59:37 am
The way he played in the sprig game and the measures he went for the coaches to give him a good shot at RB and got another year of eligibility and you think all he's going to do is play full back this year?.. Wow

Exactly. SMH.

:razorback:

rhames

Quote from: RebelW on July 15, 2015, 09:59:37 am

I do

Kody walker will be the first team full back. RWIII will get the mop up duty and probably work is way into getting all the carries as the third option at half back.

Kody had a great spring game but any running back running behind our first team oline would have.

Spring game tells us nothing as every spring game before it in the past.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rhames on July 15, 2015, 09:50:40 am

Yeah I'll take that bet

Kody walker will be the full back and the freshman will get mop up duty and the third string carries by the a&m game,  probably before

So, you want to do it by # of carries or by total yards gained rushing?

rhames

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 10:30:10 am
So, you want to do it by # of carries or by total yards gained rushing?

Reps at half back. We are arguing who will get most of the carries as the third running back correct?

Let's do yards. It will be hard to take away kody's carries if he is touching the ball as a half back and I only see that in short yardage situations anyway.

Do you guys really think coach b is going to risk the health of his best full back by giving him mop up duty and all the change of pace carries after Jonathan and Alex? This whole thread is about depth at full back.

RebelW

RebelW

It's not like we're talking about using him as a #1 or #2 back. That would be risking his health. But for mop up games and short yards.. Yeah the 250 lb'r will be "Risked" of injury.. Lol

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rhames on July 15, 2015, 10:35:51 am
Reps at half back. We are arguing who will get most of the carries as the third running back correct?

Let's do yards. It will be hard to take away kody's carries if he is touching the ball as a half back and I only see that in short yardage situations anyway.

So which is it?

I would rather do it by carries at HB.  How about the over/under being 40 carries at HB for the year?

rhames

July 15, 2015, 10:44:11 am #19 Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:01:38 am by rhames
Quote from: RebelW on July 15, 2015, 10:41:35 am
It's not like we're talking about using him as a #1 or #2 back. That would be risking his health. But for mop up games and short yards.. Yeah the 250 lb'r will be "Risked" of injury.. Lol

I know you aren't saying he will be number one or two. I'm saying he won't be number three

He will be the first team full back

How many times has he been injured in his career? Maybe it's a little more risky than you think

The whole idea for mop up duty is to not injure your starters and give those with less experiance, well experiance. So is coach b going to play his first team full back or the freshman running back who could actually end up being the starter next year? Cause he isn't going to reshirt him.

rhames

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 10:42:21 am
So which is it?

I would rather do it by carries at HB.  How about the over/under being 40 carries at HB for the year?

I will totally take the under way under on 40 carries as a half back. 

RebelW

I see both points.. Mine and yours and could go either way.. We shall see! September needs to hurry up so we will have more to talk about than having these slow days where we have to much time to think! LOL

onebadrubi

Kody Walker will be 3rd in production out of the backfield, second if an injury were to occur. 

Someone brought up Kody Walkers injury history.  You should go back and research it. I believe he has only had one actual injury which was from being in a pile.  The other was "Mono" which was common upon BP freshmen.

rhames

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 15, 2015, 11:14:59 am
Kody Walker will be 3rd in production out of the backfield, second if an injury were to occur. 

Someone brought up Kody Walkers injury history.  You should go back and research it. I believe he has only had one actual injury which was from being in a pile.  The other was "Mono" which was common upon BP freshmen.

I was just saying it was possible for him to get injured and not out of the realm of possibility because of his size which was the claim I was counter pointing

I see him catching balls from the full back position and used in short yard situations.

bennyl08

Quote from: rhames on July 15, 2015, 10:46:52 am

Can I get in on this? I mean, even last year he had 31 carries. Korliss only had 25. Kiero Small who was not nearly the threat running the ball that Walker is had 40 carries and 19 receptions in 2013.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rhames on July 15, 2015, 10:46:52 am

Okay, you and I are on.  A six pack of your/my favorite beverage on it!

But I'll probably need your help remembering this deal.  I tend to let go of small stuff and don't make it a priority to remember.  Thanks!

NOTE: I need to make a disqualifier here:  All bets are off if he gets injured and misses more than one game, okay?  Our bet is not about injury time, but rather about the carries he'll get IF HE STAYS HEALTHY. 

That's fair, right?

MS_HogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 15, 2015, 11:36:08 am
Can I get in on this? I mean, even last year he had 31 carries. Korliss only had 25. Kiero Small who was not nearly the threat running the ball that Walker is had 40 carries and 19 receptions in 2013.

I cant remember the game but it seems like there was one game where Collins was suspended for the first quarter and Walker got a bunch of carries in that game. Did that happen or am I making stuff up again?
SOOIE

rhames

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 11:53:21 am
Okay, you and I are on.  A six pack of your/my favorite beverage on it!

But I'll probably need your help remembering this deal.  I tend to let go of small stuff and don't make it a priority to remember.  Thanks!

NOTE: I need to make a disqualifier here:  All bets are off if he gets injured and misses more than one game, okay?  Our bet is not about injury time, but rather about the carries he'll get IF HE STAYS HEALTHY. 

That's fair, right?

Fair

He had more carries than marshal because Marshall was in the dog house.

Keiro ran the wild cat quite a few times.

And yes both Collins and Williams were suspended in 2013 for the first quarter of the Mississippi state game (maybe half)

And I believe Collins was also suspended for the first quarter of the bama game last year.

The carries we are going on is carries at the half back position not over all carries.

This post is replying to a bunch of posts. Hard to quote everyone on the iPhone

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rhames on July 15, 2015, 12:00:03 pm
The carries we are going on is carries at the half back position not over all carries.

Yes, sir.

KlubhouseKonnected

I thought I read in the DEMGAZ last week the Walker had been moved to half back full time this spring. Were they:

A. Wrong again.
B. Attempting to say that he only worked out at halfback this spring, but not neccesarily that the coaches had redefined his role on the team.
C. Just the victim of me imagining stuff.

From the above comments it seems like b or c.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

NLRHog92

Quote from: rhames on July 15, 2015, 10:05:59 am

I do

Kody walker will be the first team full back. RWIII will get the mop up duty and probably work is way into getting all the carries as the third option at half back.

Kody had a great spring game but any running back running behind our first team oline would have.

Spring game tells us nothing as every spring game before it in the past.

They'd RS RWIII and Evans would get mop up duty if that scenario came about.

rhames

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 15, 2015, 12:59:40 pm
They'd RS RWIII and Evans would get mop up duty if that scenario came about.

I don't see this staff ever red shirting running backs unless they had do. (For example day)

NLRHog92

Quote from: rhames on July 15, 2015, 01:38:05 pm

I don't see this staff ever red shirting running backs unless they had do. (For example day)

Possibly. It could shake out a few ways. J Will being a Sr and Collins a Jr that could head to the draft, RWIII could benefit from some game experience to carry into 2016. But they might prefer him to have that extra year of eligibility. It would be understandable either way. Do know that next year, the frosh backs we bring in won't redshirt.

bennyl08

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 15, 2015, 12:37:29 pm
I thought I read in the DEMGAZ last week the Walker had been moved to half back full time this spring. Were they:

A. Wrong again.
B. Attempting to say that he only worked out at halfback this spring, but not neccesarily that the coaches had redefined his role on the team.
C. Just the victim of me imagining stuff.

From the above comments it seems like b or c.

I think he will do both. Walker is not a pure fullback. As such, he is not as good at position as guys who were such as Stumon or Small. However, he is a much better runner than those two. He is one of those hybrid types such as Hillis, though Hillis was on a whole other level.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 15, 2015, 02:14:44 pm
I think he will do both. Walker is not a pure fullback. As such, he is not as good at position as guys who were such as Stumon or Small. However, he is a much better runner than those two. He is one of those hybrid types such as Hillis, though Hillis was on a whole other level.

Playing fullback involves a whole different mentality. In highschool I went from playing halfback in the I to playing H back in the wing T and continually struggled with lead blocking. Of course I did not possess the inate talent that these guys do and wasn't receiving the kind of coaching they do either but it always makes me skeptical when people talk about moving an Austin Cantrell or Jeremiah Ledbetter to fullback and expecting them to quickly be effective at this level.

wholehog92

nice play bigdaddyhawg.

I was impressed with KW in the spring.  Coach mentioned him on ESPN this morning ahead of RW3.

I've been a KW fan since the day he was recruited.  I've talked to him a couple of times at different events and he's a very polite young man and freakishly large and athletic.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 15, 2015, 02:34:29 pm
nice play bigdaddyhawg.

I was impressed with KW in the spring.  Coach mentioned him on ESPN this morning ahead of RW3.

I've been a KW fan since the day he was recruited.  I've talked to him a couple of times at different events and he's a very polite young man and freakishly large and athletic.

I've always thought he was under-rated.

I must admit I'd like him a whole lot more if he hadn't fumbled our win vs. Bama away.

Hope he makes the difference for us multiple times this year.

bphi11ips

Personally I'd use Walker as a fullback.  Fullbacks carry the ball.  Fullbacks catch passes.  Fullbacks block.  One that can take it 80 yards up the middle like Roosevelt Leaks create space on the edges.  Walker is worth more in the NFL as a fullback than as a tailback. 

Walker can carry the ball over 40 times for over 400 yards from the fullback slot.  Maybe he'll beat every one up in the fourth quarter at tailback.  Who knows?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

dqhog

I hope Chris Jones gets a shot.  He was a long shot out of high school just to make the walk on squad and he has busted it to get to where he is.  He is working hard this summer and is very determined to make an impact this year.  He is a yes sir/no sir type and represents the school well with kids in the local community.  Just one of those guys you can't help but root for. 

Whatever they are doing up there it is working.  Chris is "swolled up" as they say.

hawginbigd1

I think KW will earn meaningful carries at the RB spot most every game!

bennyl08

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 15, 2015, 02:32:31 pm
Playing fullback involves a whole different mentality. In highschool I went from playing halfback in the I to playing H back in the wing T and continually struggled with lead blocking. Of course I did not possess the inate talent that these guys do and wasn't receiving the kind of coaching they do either but it always makes me skeptical when people talk about moving an Austin Cantrell or Jeremiah Ledbetter to fullback and expecting them to quickly be effective at this level.

True. It takes a very special kind of athlete to do that. I think some of the talk about Cantrell reflects that, though. You have some saying don't be surprised if he plays some LB. Others think he is a TE, others more in the H-back role, even still there is still a slight possibility of him playing DE. For a recent example of a similar but smaller guy, look at Shaq Thompson from UW. The guy played RB, LB, and S in college and wasn't just some tweener, but a first round draft pick. With Ledbetter at FB, I think that is more of using him a situation so easy a caveman could do it. I.e. goal line situations. I'm making an assumption that that is easier, but that is generally the time you see DL players as blockers or runners, so I feel safe in assuming there is a reason for that.

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 15, 2015, 02:34:29 pm
nice play bigdaddyhawg.

I will be perfectly honest and say that I was not a huge fan of Walker early on. Freshmen season I thought that he was a FB and nothing more. He was big, strong, could get the tough yards and had a nose for the endzone. However, I did not thing he had speed or quickness to be the tailback he was recruited to be.

Then, the next Spring, I saw him in practice, and while he still wasn't and will never be "fast", it was readily apparent that he was extremely quick, particularly for a guy his size and in the grand scheme of things, quick is more important than fast. Fast is great when you get to break open a long run, but quick is more important on the other 90% of runs.

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 15, 2015, 10:34:13 pm
Personally I'd use Walker as a fullback.  Fullbacks carry the ball.  Fullbacks catch passes.  Fullbacks block.  One that can take it 80 yards up the middle like Roosevelt Leaks create space on the edges.  Walker is worth more in the NFL as a fullback than as a tailback. 

Walker can carry the ball over 40 times for over 400 yards from the fullback slot.  Maybe he'll beat every one up in the fourth quarter at tailback.  Who knows?

Walker, IMO, is exactly what the NFL is looking for at fullback right now. Apart from teams like the Ravens and Seahawks, most teams don't really use a FB. So, to make it at that position, you need to be more of a hybrid, like Walker. A good comparison would be a Marcel Reese with the Raiders. Ideally he is just a fullback, but he can be a primary ball carrier and such if called upon.

Arkansas Fan

I remember a fullback we used to have named Brandon Kennedy. He said to play fullback you had to be a "head buster" and I don't think Walker is that right now. Our true fullbacks seem to be Colquitt and Jones, though they haven't played as much as Walker at that position.

TheRazorbackGuy

Maybe Juan Day can be the fullback one day

wholehog92

Rhames is in trouble early on here.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Josh Goforth

Without JWill in the rotation it may be the case where walker is in 1 back more without a fb. Use more of an hback or te when they run lead, power, etc.

KlubhouseKonnected

scruf

August 26, 2015, 01:40:37 pm #46 Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:03:02 pm by scruf
After discussing Tyler Colquitt's injury status, Coach B talked about Austin Cantrell working at fullback. He also mentioned late addition Damani Carter and a host of other fullbacks when he addressed the media at the NWATD Club on Wednesday.

Coach B: "Chris Jones gives something that we kind of know we have. I don't know how far in the schedule we can go with that. Damani Carter from Fayetteville has been a pretty impressive guy through the first 10 days."

He also mentioned Anthony Brown, Mitch Loewen and OG Josh Allen as giving them some looks at the position.

Carter joins team:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Fullback-joins-Razorbacks-with-loss-of-Jonathan-Williams-38792868

HS Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1396411/highlights/36350380/v2

CattleCorn

Bielema said today that Colquitt has a mid-level ankle sprain and not a high ankle sprain, so that's good and they expect him back next week.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/bielema-offers-injury-updates-kicking-competitions-and-more

rhames

Quote from: wholehog92 on August 26, 2015, 10:28:58 am
Rhames is in trouble early on here.

The bet was made baring injury

I might make the bet that Williams III still gets more carries at half back than walker.

Biggus Piggus

Fullback is wide open right now. Cantrell has been injured. And really, it's a lot to ask a true freshman to handle the beating that a fullback takes. One thing is certain - Kody Walker will not play fullback. He is in the prime tailback rotation with Alex Collins.
[CENSORED]!