Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback football on Satellite TV

Started by ChromDome35, July 13, 2015, 06:44:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChromDome35

Does it matter which satellite service you get (Dish or Direct) when it comes to watching Razorback games?

From browsing both their channel offerings, it looks like they both offer all the channels the games would typically be on.

Thanks in advance!

rhames

No.

Direct has more interactive features and dish is cheaper
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

8th Wonder

My advice is go with DirecTV.  I switched to DISH last August and regret it, big time!  My bill is cheaper with DISH--by 3 whole dollars!  BUT, DISH has A LOT of channels that aren't in full time HD.  INCLUDING, most all of the regional sports nets.  They are only in HD on DISH when a live game is being played.  Therefore, if you are watching something about the Hogs (or any other team), including a game replay, a coach's show, etc, etc, it's not in HD on DISH.  It is on Direct.  And, DTV has way more regional sports nets.  DISH's onscreen guide sucks.  And, there is actually a noticeable difference in picture quality IMO with DISH.  Lastly, there is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON in customer service--DTV,  hands down.  Pay the extra $3.  It's VERY worth it.

rhames

July 14, 2015, 12:31:56 pm #3 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:46:20 pm by rhames
Quote from: 8th Wonder on July 14, 2015, 12:29:38 pm
My advice is go with DirecTV.  I switched to DISH last August and regret it, big time!  My bill is cheaper with DISH--by 3 whole dollars!  BUT, DISH has A LOT of channels that aren't in full time HD.  INCLUDING, most all of the regional sports nets.  They are only in HD on DISH when a live game is being played.  Therefore, if you are watching something about the Hogs (or any other team), including a game replay, a coach's show, etc, etc, it's not in HD on DISH.  It is on Direct.  And, DTV has way more regional sports nets.  DISH's onscreen guide sucks.  And, there is actually a noticeable difference in picture quality IMO with DISH.  Lastly, there is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON in customer service--DTV,  hands down.  Pay the extra $3.  It's VERY worth it.

Not sure what kind of issues you are having with dish but I don't have any of those.

They both use the same feeds so the picture quality is all in your head

The big difference is the interactive guides direct has. Way better than dish

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

GuvHog

Quote from: 8th Wonder on July 14, 2015, 12:29:38 pm

DTV has better HD quality too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2015, 12:38:18 pm
DTV has better HD quality too.

No they don't. 

This is much like people who prefer fords over Chevys or Pepsi over coke.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 12:39:15 pm

No they don't. 

This is much like people who prefer fords over Chevys or Pepsi over coke.

Hey, my brother has Dish and I have DTV. I've seen the difference.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

July 14, 2015, 12:42:57 pm #7 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:02:08 pm by rhames
Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2015, 12:40:45 pm
Hey, my brother has Dish and I have DTV. I've seen the difference.

I'm sure you have guv

Could be tv settings but the signal is whatever the actual tv station broadcasts if it be 720p or 1080i(Which most people couldn't tell a difference)

So when it comes to the feed you are getting if it be from dish or direct it's the same

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 12:42:57 pm
I'm sure you have guv

Could be tv settings but the signal is whatever the actual tv station broadcasts if it be 720p or 1080i

So no there isn't a difference.

Actually, depending how those feeds are processed by each Master Control at DTV and Dish can determine a big difference in quality. Bandwidth is fluid and just because "they" say it's HD because it fits certain dimensions like 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 2K, 4KUHD, 4K or even 8K, it doesn't always mean that the bit depth is there to support the color and other factors that make up IQ (image quality). If they are using existing "pipes" to give you full color and bit depth then they are taking away from other resources... ie. bandwidth for 200 channels of great IQ or 300 channels of various IQ from crap to not bad.

Signal chain is a very complex issue and can vary at each stage the signal as it passes through from a "Live feed" from a game to the each users home... The variables can be quite numbing in their number and complexity.

But even if everything coming to your TV/Monitor is the full monty, it can fail miserably depending on how that viewing device is set up in terms of color correction and hertz.

Hope this helps, I tried to use english and not go full egghead. I've worked for many of the alphabets mostly as freelancer but have shot hundreds of College Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc. events and have worked extensively out of Sat trucks, big rig control rooms and Master Controls in my 18 years as a Lighting Cameraman. I now work on National Commercials, Features, Docs and have ties with Major Companies Like RED Digital Cinema, Vision Research, Black Magic and more... I live the bleeding edge and love it.

Wooo Pig. :razorback:

rhames

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on July 14, 2015, 01:05:57 pm
Actually, depending how those feeds are processed by each Master Control at DTV and Dish can determine a big difference in quality. Bandwidth is fluid and just because "they" say it's HD because it fits certain dimensions like 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 2K, 4KUHD, 4K or even 8K, it doesn't always mean that the bit depth is there to support the color and other factors that make up IQ (image quality). If they are using existing "pipes" to give you full color and bit depth then they are taking away from other resources... ie. bandwidth for 200 channels of great IQ or 300 channels of various IQ from crap to not bad.

Signal chain is a very complex issue and can vary at each stage the signal as it passes through from a "Live feed" from a game to the each users home... The variables can be quite numbing in their number and complexity.

But even if everything coming to your TV/Monitor is the full monty, it can fail miserably depending on how that viewing device is set up in terms of color correction and hertz.

Hope this helps, I tried to use english and not go full egghead. I've worked for many of the alphabets mostly as freelancer but have shot hundreds of College Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc. events and have worked extensively out of Sat trucks, big rig control rooms and Master Controls in my 18 years as a Lighting Cameraman. I now work on National Commercials, Features, Docs and have ties with Major Companies Like RED Digital Cinema, Vision Research, Black Magic and more... I live the bleeding edge and love it.

Wooo Pig. :razorback:

Nothing broadcasts in over 1080i. Dish and direct process the signal the same way and I'm pretty sure use the same satellites. The picture quality for both is the same.

If they didn't use the same the company that used the "better signal and picture" would use that as a selling point.

Your post is Very informative but is like trying to say there is a difference in rounding decimals that are in the one trillionth place

8th Wonder

DISH compresses a lot of their feeds-- see the expandable channel listings for the RSN's and SEC, P12, B10 networks, etc...  While the HD quality isn't much less, it is not as good as DTV that doesn't compress any feeds.

But, that's sort of besides the point.  DISH doesn't have near as many full time HD's as DirecTV.  They also only have 60% of the RSN's DTV has (and ALL of those are only in HD when a live game is being played).   DISH is only marginally cheaper for roughly the same programming.  Those issues are undisputable and easily confirmed by finding someone with DISH. 

Also, try calling each.  Just try it.  Have a discussion with the operators who answer.  Half the time you'll have to hang up on the DISH rep b/c you can't understand them.  Never had that issue with DTV.  Not saying everything was always peachy with DTV--I could always understand them, however... Usually able to work a deal with DTV too.  DISH seems to be inflexible to 'haggling'.

Also, I haven't even gotten into the issues DISH has had with MLB Extra Innings.  They don't even

8th Wonder

....they don't even broadcast the whole package.

rhames

Quote from: 8th Wonder on July 14, 2015, 01:16:53 pm
DISH compresses a lot of their feeds-- see the expandable channel listings for the RSN's and SEC, P12, B10 networks, etc...  While the HD quality isn't much less, it is not as good as DTV that doesn't compress any feeds.

But, that's sort of besides the point.  DISH doesn't have near as many full time HD's as DirecTV.  They also only have 60% of the RSN's DTV has (and ALL of those are only in HD when a live game is being played).   DISH is only marginally cheaper for roughly the same programming.  Those issues are undisputable and easily confirmed by finding someone with DISH. 

Also, try calling each.  Just try it.  Have a discussion with the operators who answer.  Half the time you'll have to hang up on the DISH rep b/c you can't understand them.  Never had that issue with DTV.  Not saying everything was always peachy with DTV--I could always understand them, however... Usually able to work a deal with DTV too.  DISH seems to be inflexible to 'haggling'.

Also, I haven't even gotten into the issues DISH has had with MLB Extra Innings.  They don't even

Where are you getting that they compress feeds?

What major channels does direct have in be that dish doesn't?

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 01:16:40 pm

Nothing broadcasts in over 1080i. Dish and direct process the signal the same way and I'm pretty sure use the same satellites. The picture quality for both is the same.

If they didn't use the same the company that used the "better signal and picture" would use that as a selling point.

You are wrong on so many levels, sorry. And "Broadcast" and what it means is changing rapidly and I have worked with the Companies are doing it-- Netflix, ESPN. I am on set but thought I was helping... 8th Wonder hit the nail on the head with "compression" and how each Company uses them to their needs. 

rhames

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on July 14, 2015, 01:23:25 pm
You are wrong on so many levels, sorry. And "Broadcast" and what it means is changing rapidly and work with the Companies are doing it is Netflix, ESPN. I am on set but thought I was helping... 8th Wonder hit the nail on the head with "compression" and how each Company uses them to their needs. 

What tv channel sends a signal over 1080i?

If you has two tvs set up side by side both showing a razorback game. One was dish the other was direct you couldn't tell the difference.

You seem very knowledgable in this subject but I think you're still arguing very minute tech details that would never be noticed.

I'll go back to this. You will have people who swear by dish and swear by direct or whatever they use and you will have others have horror stories about both. (I've had both and liked both)

They guy asked a simple question and the answer is it doesn't matter.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 01:25:31 pm

What tv channel sends a signal over 1080i?

ESPN, BBC, Sky will soon have 4K broadcasts, more will follow soon, NDA's prevent me from saying more... And non traditional Broadcasters like Netflix, Amazon, Youtube and more have been "Broadcasting" ie streaming for more than a year. New Compression schemes are being tested to put 4K in traditional broadcasters pipeline.

Btw, lose the 1080i reference... "In July 2008, the ATSC standards were amended to include H.264/MPEG-4 AVC compression and 1080p at 50, 59.94 and 60 frames per second (1080p50 and 1080p60)." So even your main argument is flawed. Said with respect btw.

Wooo Pig.  :razorback:

8th Wonder

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 01:21:31 pm

Where are you getting that they compress feeds?

What major channels does direct have in be that dish doesn't?

There tech told me they compress feeds when I called about the SD only for the RSN's.  That's why they have expandable menus with transponders split to host multiple feeds.  Example is FSMW is 412-12 rather than just 412.  I've been told that more than 2 or 3 times.  It's also why MLBEI doesn't show the full package--told that by a VP at DISH when I couldn't get an answer from anyone else there.

Look, if you don't watch a lot of sports....specifically baseball and basketball and/or want to see some CFB replays in HD....there isn't much difference.  But, if you do, there is!  That's the gist of this whole thread.

rhames

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on July 14, 2015, 01:34:35 pm
ESPN, BBC, Sky will soon have 4K broadcasts, more will follow soon, NDA's prevent me from saying more... And non traditional Broadcasters like Netflix, Amazon, Youtube and more have been "Broadcasting" ie streaming for more than a year. New Compression schemes are being tested to put 4K in traditional broadcasters pipeline.

Btw, lose the 1080i reference... "In July 2008, the ATSC standards were amended to include H.264/MPEG-4 AVC compression and 1080p at 50, 59.94 and 60 frames per second (1080p50 and 1080p60)." So even your main argument is flawed. Said with respect btw.

Wooo Pig.  :razorback:

Amended to include doesn't mean stations are using that frame rate just yet.  2008 I'm pretty sure was when 1080p started to become the norm for most HD TV sets. Again what tv station, now, is sending a signal in 1080p

yes stations will broadcast, or which ever word you prefer, at 4k or better but they aren't now n

rhames

Quote from: 8th Wonder on July 14, 2015, 01:34:54 pm
There tech told me they compress feeds when I called about the SD only for the RSN's.  That's why they have expandable menus with transponders split to host multiple feeds.  Example is FSMW is 412-12 rather than just 412.  I've been told that more than 2 or 3 times.  It's also why MLBEI doesn't show the full package--told that by a VP at DISH when I couldn't get an answer from anyone else there.

Look, if you don't watch a lot of sports....specifically baseball and basketball and/or want to see some CFB replays in HD....there isn't much difference.  But, if you do, there is!  That's the gist of this whole thread.

Do they do this for major channels (sec network, espns)

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 01:25:31 pm

If you has two tvs set up side by side both showing a razorback game. One was dish the other was direct you couldn't tell the difference. Once again, are both monitors the very same? Have they been scoped for CC and set up exactly the same? I get what you are saying but each Company can do many, many things depending on their compression schemes.

You seem very knowledgable in this subject but I think you're still arguing very minute tech details that would never be noticed. --No I am not, reread what I posted above... The signal chain can get compressed at many stages that you as the consumer have ZERO clue about.

I'll go back to this. You will have people who swear by dish and swear by direct or whatever they use and you will have others have horror stories about both. (I've had both and liked both) I have no dog in this hunt, the variables are mind numbing but yes there can be a big difference from either DISH or DTV depending on those said variables. So yes, there can be a difference by either company.

They guy asked a simple question and the answer is it doesn't matter. I think you are wrong... The answer is not simple and depends on many factors

rhames

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 01:41:22 pm

Do they do this for major channels (sec network, espns)

Yes, things are changing rapidly... Lunch is over and I have to go back to shooting this Food Commercial. Best of luck and enjoy this Season coming up...

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 01:44:23 pm

The TV set would be the same model, settings, distance.

Same sets.... Yes, there could a difference with the same feed depending on how each Company--Dish or DTV dithers their signal at each stage---- so YES!!! There COULD be a visual difference.

urkillnmesmalls

I'm not sure I've seen a difference between Dish and DirecTV, but I do know they both look better than ATT Uverse.  I have Uverse, and I love the reliability that I've had over the past 6 years with it.  The trade off is worth it to me, because when I want to see a really great picture, I'm going to go with BluRay.  In sporting events...it matters, but only to a certain extent. 

The only outages we've had were two fried gateways, and that's because the initial installer didn't put the "buffers" on the coax cable outside to help with protection (not all fiber here unfortunately).  I have NO IDEA if that's even what they're called, but that's what they said and we've had no issues with fried gateways since.

BUT..to say compression doesn't matter is inaccurate.  I know FOR SURE that a digital antennae on your home will produce the best quality image on most TV's, unless your TV has a crappy input.  In three separate places I have personally seen an obviously crisper and more color rich picture on HD antennae versus the same exact channel on satellite. 

I also know that a set sitting side by side with either Dish or Direct would be VERY noticeable versus Uverse.  Thing is...I'm not sure I need to see stubble on guy's faces to enjoy watching sports.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

rhames

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on July 14, 2015, 06:10:49 pm
I'm not sure I've seen a difference between Dish and DirecTV, but I do know they both look better than ATT Uverse.  I have Uverse, and I love the reliability that I've had over the past 6 years with it.  The trade off is worth it to me, because when I want to see a really great picture, I'm going to go with BluRay.  In sporting events...it matters, but only to a certain extent. 

The only outages we've had were two fried gateways, and that's because the initial installer didn't put the "buffers" on the coax cable outside to help with protection (not all fiber here unfortunately).  I have NO IDEA if that's even what they're called, but that's what they said and we've had no issues with fried gateways since.

BUT..to say compression doesn't matter is inaccurate.  I know FOR SURE that a digital antennae on your home will produce the best quality image on most TV's, unless your TV has a crappy input.  In three separate places I have personally seen an obviously crisper and more color rich picture on HD antennae versus the same exact channel on satellite. 

I also know that a set sitting side by side with either Dish or Direct would be VERY noticeable versus Uverse.  Thing is...I'm not sure I need to see stubble on guy's faces to enjoy watching sports.     

That's because a digital antenna gets the signal directly from the source. The op was asking about satellite services and which was the best for razorback viewing. They both offer the same.

WardamnHOGGLE

I wish Netflix would buy the rights to stream games.  I'm fed up with DTV, Dish, Cable....
They all charge way too much for a bunch of useless channels. JMO

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 06:14:51 pm

That's because a digital antenna gets the signal directly from the source.

I still maintain there is no difference over all in picture quality between direct and dish.

I maintain that I've never seen them side by side, but evidence would suggest that they could definitely process the signals differently, and how efficiently they are converted could absolutely make one superior to the other.  Raw satellite feed...no argument that the broadcasts are essentially the same if they're the same resolution...720p, 1080p, etc.  But...they have to be converted, and that's what the satellite receivers do. 

Are you sure you're willing to say the electronics are exactly the same and process the signals identically?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on July 14, 2015, 06:16:37 pm
I wish Netflix would buy the rights to stream games.  I'm fed up with DTV, Dish, Cable....
They all charge way too much for a bunch of useless channels. JMO

Totally agree.  Imagine just being able to purchase what you want to watch ala carte for a few bucks a game, and maybe a set fee for a series you want to watch...like Walking Dead?  For as little as I watch, I'd make out like a bandit. 

Augustus

No. Both Dish and DirecTV both carry the same SEC Network package... which includes the "main" SEC Network channel and the alternate SEC  Network channel (which is hardly ever used - only when multiple SEC football games are being broadcasted at the same time on Saturdays).

Both also include access to ESPN3.com, to be able to view online.

Both also crap out during storms.

IMO, The only difference between Dish & Direct would be: 
1) what packages each of them offer, and what all channels come with those packages... for both you would have to get at least the mid or maybe low-middle tier channel package to the SEC Network
2) Price for the different packages above
3) what hardware do you get with Dish vs DirecTV?  Which provider will give you "whole home DVR" or "whole home HD", etc.  Dish used to run promotions where they'd throw in an iPad so you could watch content online

if you're a new customer, pit each other against themselves, and get the best hardware  and the best programming price you can. 

I've been with Direct for 10 years, and almost switched last summer when Direct was dragging their feet on the SEC Network deal.  After calling them, they assured to "stick with them... don't worry" and they gave me hardware upgrades for whole home DVR (my equipment was VERY old). 

If you live in an area where Dish or Direct are the only game in town (rural areas), they are much more likely to work with you on what they offer you to get your business.  Just be civil with them (obviously), and don't be afraid to ask to talk to a supervisor, "if they want your business"

rhames

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on July 14, 2015, 06:18:57 pm
I maintain that I've never seen them side by side, but evidence would suggest that they could definitely process the signals differently, and how efficiently they are converted could absolutely make one superior to the other.  Raw satellite feed...no argument that the broadcasts are essentially the same if they're the same resolution...720p, 1080p, etc.  But...they have to be converted, and that's what the satellite receivers do. 

Are you sure you're willing to say the electronics are exactly the same and process the signals identically?   

I'm fairly certain they process the signals the same way. There is nothing out there that provides evidence of one having better picture quality over the other. Im fairly certain they use the same satellites to receive and out Put their signals.

rhames

Quote from: Augustus on July 14, 2015, 06:25:40 pm
No. Both Dish and DirecTV both carry the same SEC Network package... which includes the "main" SEC Network channel and the alternate SEC  Network channel (which is hardly ever used - only when multiple SEC football games are being broadcasted at the same time on Saturdays).

Both also include access to ESPN3.com, to be able to view online.

Both also crap out during storms.

IMO, The only difference between Dish & Direct would be: 
1) what packages each of them offer, and what all channels come with those packages... for both you would have to get at least the mid or maybe low-middle tier channel package to the SEC Network
2) Price for the different packages above
3) what hardware do you get with Dish vs DirecTV?  Which provider will give you "whole home DVR" or "whole home HD", etc.  Dish used to run promotions where they'd throw in an iPad so you could watch content online

if you're a new customer, pit each other against themselves, and get the best hardware  and the best programming price you can. 

I've been with Direct for 10 years, and almost switched last summer when Direct was dragging their feet on the SEC Network deal.  After calling them, they assured to "stick with them... don't worry" and they gave me hardware upgrades for whole home DVR (my equipment was VERY old). 

If you live in an area where Dish or Direct are the only game in town (rural areas), they are much more likely to work with you on what they offer you to get your business.  Just be civil with them (obviously), and don't be afraid to ask to talk to a supervisor, "if they want your business"

Probably the best post in this thread. In the end it will just come down to personal preference over the two.

Augustus

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 06:42:52 pm

I'm fairly certain they process the signals the same way. There is nothing out there that provides evidence of one having better picture quality over the other. Im fairly certain they use the same satellites to receive and out Put their signals.

Exactly.  It's my understanding that each SEC school had to acquire and implement  the same specific Video/Audio technology, per the specs from the SEC Network. 

The technology/hardware at the SEC events used to broadcast/record those events is the same, across all schools. There isn't "different cameras or signals for Dish vs Direct vs Comcast vs etc" -- If there were, the SEC Network would most likely be charging higher rates for Providers who "have or provide better SEC Network signals to subscribers"