Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is what I have been saying

Started by Kevin, July 13, 2015, 02:55:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Kevin on July 13, 2015, 02:55:15 pm
@SportsTalkwBo: Pittman: The offense will be more similar than different. It's not Dan or Jim's offense, it's Bret Bielema's.

Finally, the truth is out

It is Bret's offense

Chaney was not good at running it

You don't know much about the game

BPsTheMan

Running the offense properly has nothing to do with "passing more" or "running more"

This thread is amateur hour as usual

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2015, 03:06:53 pm

There was a thread about kody walker a few weeks back that turned into a "we will pass more" debate.  A lot of people were on that train.

Pre-season trains are like opinions... Each is trying to catch his own, but no body has paid for the tickets yet...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

SquidBilly

Bret Bielema came up in the profession as a defensive coach.  No doubt a pass happy offense goes against his sensibilities about what the defense needs the offense to do to help them out.  In his perfect world the offense's job is put up points while controlling the time of possession.  His defense can then focus on getting the ball back to his offense.

I think looking at run/pass ratio with him is misguided because thats not what its about.  Its about time of possession.  Thats why he likes big TEs.  He can pass to them while controlling the clock.  Its also why he doesn't feature a big screen game.  Why risk throwing an incompletion to a RB when you can have the QB turn around and hand it off to them.  Its a game about keeping the clock moving and 'shortening' the game. 

Hogsmo Kramer

Just win baby!

Everything else is just fluff.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

rhames

Quote from: Bret Squealema on July 13, 2015, 06:10:05 pm
Bret Bielema came up in the profession as a defensive coach.  No doubt a pass happy offense goes against his sensibilities about what the defense needs the offense to do to help them out.  In his perfect world the offense's job is put up points while controlling the time of possession.  His defense can then focus on getting the ball back to his offense.

I think looking at run/pass ratio with him is misguided because thats not what its about.  Its about time of possession.  Thats why he likes big TEs.  He can pass to them while controlling the clock.  Its also why he doesn't feature a big screen game.  Why risk throwing an incompletion to a RB when you can have the QB turn around and hand it off to them.  Its a game about keeping the clock moving and 'shortening' the game. 

Good post
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Mike Irwin

July 13, 2015, 06:15:22 pm #56 Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:29:39 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on July 13, 2015, 05:17:38 pm
More minus plays on +/- last year on roll out plays. BA threw better from inside the pocket. I watched every game and his roll out plays were throws to the right side of the field that were not positive plays for the most part. Many of them were no one seperating and BA throwing the ball away. I expect less of these plays in 2015 and more passes from the pocket with five 300 pound OL protecting BA
I disagree that Chaney was up in the booth calling what you call "idiotic roll out passes" simply because he was a clueless playcaller.

If you listen to all of Pittman's interview he says there will be more pocket passing this season and fewer rollout passes so you should be happy about that. However they are  not making the change because Chaney's gone but because, he says, the pass blocking is expected to be better and because the receiving corp should be deeper with a speed element added.

It's pretty clear from that interview that Bielema went with more rollouts last year because he believed it would buy Allen more time to find his receivers. It was the best course of action they had at the time.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 13, 2015, 06:15:22 pm
I disagree that Chaney was up in the booth calling what you call "idiotic roll out passes" because simply because he was a clueless playcaller.

If you listen to all of Pittman's interview he says there will be more pocket passing this season and fewer rollout passes so you should be happy about that. However they are  not making the change because Chaney's gone but because, he says, the pass blocking is expected to be better and because the receiving corp should be deeper with a speed element added.

It's pretty clear from that interview that Bielema went with more rollouts last year because he believed it would buy Allen more time to find his receivers. It was the best course of action they had at the time.

Bingo!
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 13, 2015, 06:15:22 pm
I disagree that Chaney was up in the booth calling what you call "idiotic roll out passes" because simply because he was a clueless playcaller.

You really ruin a good MMQB<- litteral not msg board, flame up... Why do you always have to piss on the fire of freak out with real common sense..?  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BPsTheMan

excellent post

kudos

snoblind

Quote from: majestic on July 13, 2015, 04:17:37 pm
You are correct.... http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks

I used completions instead of attempts.  I win today's bonehead award.

I can think of a few folks who are going to be ticked.  I've always assumed winning that award was the reason they show up every day.

:)

VenturaHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 13, 2015, 04:18:37 pm
Here's the crude run-pass mix, most to least, in the 2014 season. It's crude in that the only adjustment is to move sacks into the pass column. It does not have other adjustments, such as removing "victory formation" plays, or special teams bumbles that are counted as runs.

85% Texas Tech
74% Nicholls
70% Ole Miss
66% Texas
66% NIU
64% Texas A&M
62% UAB
56% LSU
50% Missouri
46% Auburn
45% Mississippi State
42% Alabama
40% Georgia

In 2013:

84% Southern Miss
73% Samford
72% Mississippi State
67% Louisiana
65% South Carolina
61% Auburn
58% Alabama
52% Rutgers
52% LSU
52% Ole Miss
45% Texas A&M
36% Florida

Clearly, if an opponent can't stop the run, Arkansas is going to run on almost every play. What makes/breaks this season: 1) Will the Hogs be more successful at running against good defenses? 2) When the Hogs can't run at will, how effectively will they throw the football?

Not sure what kind of revelation the OP had, but there was never any doubt about what style of offense Arkansas is going to run under Bielema. Is he coaching the offense? Is he calling plays? No. Is Dan Enos better at coaching this group of players than Jim Chaney was? Seemed to me that Chaney did not know how to adjust to the limitations of his QBs and his WRs. Enos appears to be more comfortable with them, and they're certainly more comfortable with him.

Coming out of hibernation to say thanks for the stats, love it.

Jek Tono Porkins

Precisely. He's a defensive coach first and foremost. You'll also notice that if the play clock is running, his teams rarely snap the ball with less than 10 seconds left, which supports your notion.

I would like to see more screens, though. Obviously screens work the best when the defense is selling out to stop the run. That happens a lot in his offense.

I'd also like to see more check-down passes to running backs and if I remember correctly I read somewhere that was one of the things Enos wants more of. Often times the running backs would be in pass protection on pass plays. Makes sense, more blockers = more time to find his receivers. But it seems to me that last year there were so many plays wasted when BA threw it into the stands. That is, of course, what he is coached to do. In that offense, a goose egg on a down is a hell of a lot better than a sack or God forbid a turnover. But it just seems that that a simple check-down route to a running back would at least get you 3-4 yards instead of none.

Then again, I'm not a coach. I trust CBB to do whatever it takes to win, and as long as we win, I couldn't care less what plays were called.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

reddogjcss

O Shucky

Quote from: majestic on July 13, 2015, 05:11:06 pm
Yeah, I already admitted my mistake and posted the exact same link.  I don't have any biases regarding this topic. I simply used the wrong column.

My bad, on the repeat post. I am challenging you for the bonehead award. I typed my reply and forgot to hit "send". When I clicked back on the Hogville link, I hit send an hour later after the subject had already been resolved.

This is exactly why I try not to post too much.

WarPig88

CBB will never be big on throwing the ball. That approach will make it difficult to win at a high level HERE because of the teams we have to play can score too well most years for us to win with a low scoring, grind it out approach to offense.

SquidBilly

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 13, 2015, 09:54:08 pm
CBB will never be big on throwing the ball. That approach will make it difficult to win at a high level HERE because of the teams we have to play can score too well most years for us to win with a low scoring, grind it out approach to offense.

You never watched his Wisconsin teams did you?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 13, 2015, 07:33:36 pm

I would like to see more screens, though. Obviously screens work the best when the defense is selling out to stop the run. That happens a lot in his offense.

I think there's some confusion in this thread about the purpose of screens in a pro-style offense. True screen passes to true running backs are primarily designed to SLOW an aggressive pass rush, like Alabama's or Georgia's.  It's why the screens early against Alabama last year were working.  In a true screen, the o-line releases the rush and the QB drops deeper before lofting the ball over the rushing defenders' heads.  Meanwhile receivers have cleared out the LBs and Dbacks, leaving YAC for the back.  Two birds with one stone. Slow the rush.  Gain yards.

I think what you're thinking of is now called a "bubble screen", which is more of a fixture of the spread offense and is a quick out to a slot or wide receiver.  The purpose here is to gain yards and create space in the middle of the defense.  There's not a lot of bubble screens in Bielema's offense, although there are quick outs.

I don't care what the run pass mix is as long as we win, but I believe to beat the best teams on Arkansas's schedule we are going about it the right way.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jkstock04

If the offense looks exactly the same then I'll believe this...I'm gonna have to see it to believe it. In my opinion our offense...and especially QB play/mechanics has been overall awful for the Bielema era. I credit our defense for the majority of what success we have had.

But now I'm supposed to believe we have changed offensive coordinators and everything will remain the same? We'll see. Personally I suspect Brandon Allen's mechanics will be much improved this year with better instruction. If Chaney and Bielema were on the exact same page with everything he would still be here...that's the way I see it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawgzinbowlz

Our run/pass ratio will likely not noticeably change.
I think CJC play calling and play sequencing were not creative enough in the 2nd half and particularly in the 4th quarter. He left because he had done all he could with CBBs offense.
Hopefully CDE will call an offense that keeps the opposing D guessing more...and BA, under Coach Enos tutelage, will execute it efficiently. Our receivers need separation, catch the ball and hold onto it through the play along with the OL performing at the highest level.
We won't see a pass happy offense under Coach Bielema. I believe we will see an offense that is more efficient with the pass, including both the play calling and execution.

" GO HOGS "

MJ2

@SportsTalkwBo: Pittman: The offense will be more similar than different. It’s not Dan or Jim’s offense, it’s Bret Bielema’s.

This is nearly always the case with a head coach and when it works they take the credit.   When it doesn't, they fire assistants and let it be known they had strayed from the head coaches plan.

lefty08

@SportsTalkwBo: Pittman: The offense will be more similar than different. It's not Dan or Jim's offense, it's Bret Bielema's.

News flash Kevin. The defense is also Bret Bielemas
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Wildhog

I don't care whose offense it is, I just want someone that can call plays and execute within that system. 

And Chaney sucked large ones in that department. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

Quote from: lefty08 on July 14, 2015, 08:17:38 am
News flash Kevin. The defense is also Bret Bielemas

Bet is is more rob smith than the offense is enos'
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

lefty08

Quote from: Kevin on July 14, 2015, 09:06:09 am

Bielema was a defensive player. Care to share why you would think so?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on July 14, 2015, 09:06:09 am

I kinda doubt that. Everything requires Bielema's stamp of approval.
Go Hogs Go!

cubsfan5150

Pat yourself on the back Kevin. We all admire your knowledge.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

RebelW

I believe it will be different in our eyes. It will still be CBB's offense, just Enos won't abandon it in the 2nd half. We haven't seen all of CBB offense yet.. That's why our last OC got asked to look for another job.

Wildhog

This is one of the more pointless debates I've seen on this board in a little bit.  Of course it's "CBB's offense."

And by that, I mean it's a run-first, pro-style offense.  We need someone that can run that kind of offense, and Jim Chaney was FAAAAAAAAAAAAR from the answer.  Hopefully Enos is much better at it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2015, 03:04:43 pm
I don't think many have said otherwise. The hope is that those pass plays are more effective than they were previously. What we do on those 35-40% pass plays will be somewhat different, no doubt.

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 13, 2015, 03:14:58 pm
I can't imagine why.  To pass "more" would be getting away from what Bret Bielema believes in. Frankly, I want no part of it. I want us to be effective throwing the football when we decide to. If that means 15-20 passes a game, wonderful. I am not a fun of putting it the air 35-50 times, game in and game out.

Run the football. Shades of Kevin Scanlon at the controls would be fine by me.

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 13, 2015, 03:16:49 pm
I think the biggest difference will be in the QB coaching and the completion percentage.

If it really is Bielema's offense, the QB completion % will be much higher. Scott Tolzien had a 73% completion percentage at Wisconsin in 2010, as did Russell Wilson in 2011.

There are other posts in here as well that sums this up but I am not going to quote all of them.  Basically this is it in a nutshell.  We need someone that can call the plays better within the offense that CBB prefers. 

Tolzien's Sr season is basically exactly what we need from Allen this year and with Enos coaching him on his mechanics and calling plays that maximize not only his strength's but also the strength of this team is exactly what was missing last year in close games.  They went 11-2 and lost by 2 in the Rose Bowl to TCU.  Notice in their only two losses were the only games his completion % was BELOW 68% for the entire season!!  He had 11 games he had a comp% of 68 or better, 9 games of 73.9% or better, 8 of 75% or better, 4 of 80% of better! That is the recipe we must use this year to have that type of season

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14353/type/college/scott-tolzien

2010 Game Log   Passing   Rushing   QBR
DATE   OPP                  RESULT     CMP   ATT   YDS   CMP% LNG   TD INT   RAT       
9/4     @UNLV              W 41-21    15   20   197   75.0   45   0    1    147.7   
9/11   San José State    W 27-14    15   22   191   68.2   25   1    1    147.0   
9/18   Arizona State    W 20-19      19   25   246   76.0   34   1    0    171.9   
9/25   Austin Peay       W 70-3       15   17   217   88.2   27   3    0    253.7   
10/2   @Michigan State L 34-24     11    25   127   44.0   28   1    0    99.9   
10/9   Minnesota          W 41-23     17   23   223   73.9   36   1    0    169.7   
10/16   Ohio State          W 31-18   13   16   152   81.3   33   0    1    148.5   
10/23   @Iowa                W 31-30  20   26   205   76.9   30   1    1    148.2   
11/6   @Purdue             W 34-13    13   19   130   68.4   21   1    1    132.7   
11/13   Indiana             W 83-20    15   18   181   83.3   19   3    0    222.8   
11/20   @Michigan          W 48-28   14   15   201   93.3   34   0    1    192.6   
11/27   Northwestern       W 70-23  15   19   230   78.9   40   4    0    250.1   
ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY VIZIO                         
1/1   @TCU                     L 21-19 12   21   159   57.1   28   0    0    120.7

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 14, 2015, 09:23:16 am
This is one of the more pointless debates I've seen on this board in a little bit.  Of course it's "CBB's offense."

And by that, I mean it's a run-first, pro-style offense.  We need someone that can run that kind of offense, and Jim Chaney was FAAAAAAAAAAAAR from the answer.  Hopefully Enos is much better at it.
I think both Chaney and Bielema were caught off guard by the lack of multiple WR threats when they got here.  If this hadn't been the case, the results might have been different and Chaney might still be here.  Who knows?  Certainly not me.

Kevin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2015, 09:09:26 am
I kinda doubt that. Everything requires Bielema's stamp of approval.

It sure isn't the defense they brought from Wisconsin
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on July 14, 2015, 09:54:04 am
It sure isn't the defense they brought from Wisconsin

Regardless of whether it is or isn't, Coach Bielema is the one who stands to lose several million dollars a year if things go south. I find it hard to fathom that he is letting Robb Smith run schemes he doesn't believe in. That would make zero sense.

ChicoHog

July 14, 2015, 10:01:04 am #83 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:26:43 pm by ChicoHog
Take this with a grain of salt.  I know a guy who's son played for Enos at CMU a few years ago.  He was a backup QB (actually backed up Jordan Rodgers in HS also) who played some JC ball here in California and got a scholarship to play at CMU.  he never played much there so there may be some sour grapes, I'm not sure.  anyway this guy told me that Enos' play calling was very predictable.  He also said that on Senior Day when Enos spoke to the players and parents he was maybe the most uninspiring guy he has ever heard.  He thinks he will be a major disappointment at Arkansas.

Now I personally have a lot of faith in Enos.  I'm looking forward to this season and I believe it will be a better offense.  Just thought I would let everyone know from a guy who's son played for Enos.  Maybe he's a guy who is a good coordinator and not cut out to be a head coach.  I guess we'll find out. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2015, 03:04:43 pm
I don't think many have said otherwise. The hope is that those pass plays are more effective than they were previously. What we do on those 35-40% pass plays will be somewhat different, no doubt.
I agree, Dan was not brought in to open it up.  That is not his game anyway.  He was brought in because his scheme meshes well with CBB's and he is very good at disguising his plays.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Chief Mac

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on July 13, 2015, 06:10:29 pm
Just win baby!

Everything else is just fluff.

\ thread!

This man has the point
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Biggus Piggus

Short passing game should not be as impossible-looking to put in as Chaney made it look.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: ChicoHog on July 14, 2015, 10:01:04 am
Take this with a grain of salt.  I know a guy who's son played for Enos at CMU a few years ago.  He was a backup QB (actually backed up Jordan Rodgers in HS also) who played some JC ball here in California and got a scholarship to play at CMU.  he never played much there so there mya be some sour grapes, I'm not sure.  anyway this guy told me that Enos' play calling was very predictable.  He also said that on Senior Day when Enos spoke to the players and parents he was maybe the most uninspiring guy he has ever heard.  He thinks he will be a major disappointment at Arkansas.

Now I personally have a lot of faith in the guy.  I'm looking forward to this season and I believe it will be a better offense.  Just thought I would let everyone know from a guy who's son played for Enos. 

I doubt ole Jim was inspiring, maybe when he was taking off his shoes after practice. I suspect we'll run it until they prove they can stop it, nothing fancy about that. We've found out in conference that we can't line up and pound it all game long, as they said last year, if they stack the box, we'll try to loosen them up.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on July 14, 2015, 09:17:06 am
Pat yourself on the back Kevin. We all admire your knowledge.

Well, he does have it all figured out.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Biggus Piggus

Don't really recall anybody claiming that Enos was going to lead the Hogs to pass more often. Pass more efficiently, yes, that was the hope. The primary upgrade he put in during spring practices was raising the % of pass plays that resulted in positive yards.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

As a fan do you want :

1. More passing or

2. More EFFECTIVE passing.

I do not care if they only throw 5 times a game, of those passes are effective. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 14, 2015, 10:50:02 am
Don't really recall anybody claiming that Enos was going to lead the Hogs to pass more often. Pass more efficiently, yes, that was the hope. The primary upgrade he put in during spring practices was raising the % of pass plays that resulted in positive yards.

I've killed two threads with the research below.  Maybe this one will die now also.  Here's a thumbnail for the TLDR crowd - QBs' efficiency in the past has improved significantly after Enos took over:

Dan Enos was a grad assistant at Michigan State from 1991-1993, where he was the starting QB his last two years, having led the Spartans to a Big 10 co-championship his senior year.  Here's a link to his Wiki bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Enos

Enos took over as OC three time between 1994 and 2003, but none of the schools where he took over were D1 schools with easily available year-to-year stats, at least not that I can find.  This is the first time Enos has taken over as OC at a D1 (now known as FBS) school. However, in 2004, Enos took over as QB coach at Cincinnati.  Since he is also the QB coach at Arkansas, his track record there is applicable for purposes of this subject.  The results at Cincinnati were impressive.  Gino Giudugli's QB rating jumped 33.5 points in one year.  You can compare Giudugli's 2003 and 2004 numbers at these two links:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/cincinnati/2003.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/cincinnati/2004.html

Perhaps based on Giudugli's strong progress, Michigan State hired Enos to coach QBs in 2005.  Drew Stanton's rating jumped 21.6 points over the previous year:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2004.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2005.html

There are no other numbers showing a QB's progress when Enos took over purely as a QB coach or OC, but the average increase posted by Giudugli and Stanton was 27.55.

Brandon Allen finished last season with a rating of 129.2.  A 27.55 increase would have landed him at 156.75.  Based on 2014 NCAA QB rankings, Allen would have replaced Hutson Mason at number 10.  Allen's actual finish was 68, so that would have been a rise of 58 spots.

At both Cincinnati and Michigan State, Enos took over a QB who had started the previous year.  Same at Arkansas.  If history repeats itself where QB improvement is concerned the year Enos arrives on the scene, the Hogs could be looking at no worse than 10-2, and Brandon Allen could wind up as SEC POY.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 14, 2015, 10:02:19 am
I agree, Dan was not brought in to open it up.  That is not his game anyway.  He was brought in because his scheme meshes well with CBB's and he is very good at disguising his plays.

That depends on what you mean by "opening it up". Mind you, I don't see them opening it up and throwing the ball all over the field. The run is their forte' and it always will be but their passing game must be dangerous enough to keep opponents defenses honest.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

JackJohnson

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 14, 2015, 11:05:53 am
I've killed two threads with the research below.  Maybe this one will die now also.  Here's a thumbnail for the TLDR crowd - QBs' efficiency in the past has improved significantly after Enos took over:

Dan Enos was a grad assistant at Michigan State from 1991-1993, where he was the starting QB his last two years, having led the Spartans to a Big 10 co-championship his senior year.  Here's a link to his Wiki bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Enos

Enos took over as OC three time between 1994 and 2003, but none of the schools where he took over were D1 schools with easily available year-to-year stats, at least not that I can find.  This is the first time Enos has taken over as OC at a D1 (now known as FBS) school. However, in 2004, Enos took over as QB coach at Cincinnati.  Since he is also the QB coach at Arkansas, his track record there is applicable for purposes of this subject.  The results at Cincinnati were impressive.  Gino Giudugli's QB rating jumped 33.5 points in one year.  You can compare Giudugli's 2003 and 2004 numbers at these two links:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/cincinnati/2003.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/cincinnati/2004.html

Perhaps based on Giudugli's strong progress, Michigan State hired Enos to coach QBs in 2005.  Drew Stanton's rating jumped 21.6 points over the previous year:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2004.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2005.html

There are no other numbers showing a QB's progress when Enos took over purely as a QB coach or OC, but the average increase posted by Giudugli and Stanton was 27.55.

Brandon Allen finished last season with a rating of 129.2.  A 27.55 increase would have landed him at 156.75.  Based on 2014 NCAA QB rankings, Allen would have replaced Hutson Mason at number 10.  Allen's actual finish was 68, so that would have been a rise of 58 spots.

At both Cincinnati and Michigan State, Enos took over a QB who had started the previous year.  Same at Arkansas.  If history repeats itself where QB improvement is concerned the year Enos arrives on the scene, the Hogs could be looking at no worse than 10-2, and Brandon Allen could wind up as SEC POY.   

We could use the progress made by QB's while he was the HC.  He was the playcaller, and I am sure with his background was always heavily involved with the QB coaching as well.

When he got to CMU standout QB Dan LeFevour just graduated.  Ryan Radcliff took over as a RS So.  He improved his QBR, YPA and TD/INT ratio each year as the starting QB.

2010- 125.8 QBR, 7.21 YPA, 17 TD's, 17 INT's
2011- 128.8 QBR, 7.25 YPA, 25 TD's, 16 INT's
2012- 138.9 QBR, 7.76 YPA, 23 TD's, 9 INT's

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/383499/ryan-radcliff

After Radcliff graduated Enos started RS Fr Cooper Rush.  Rush had tremendous year over year improvement from his first year as starter to his second in all categories.

2013- 126.2 QBR, 7.53 YPA, 15 TD's, 15 INT's
2014- 149.5 QBR, 8.26 YPA, 27 TD's, 13 INT's

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/531455/cooper-rush

The fact that Enos will inherit a 5th year Sr QB who has been a 2 year starter in the SEC and (which is often overlooked) a surrounding cast made up of guys that have also been 1 to 2 year (or more) starters in the SEC leads me to believe that the kind of improvement we have seen in the past could easily be done with Allen.  If that happens, I believe we can win 10+ games, and maybe have that magical season we have hoped for.

Mulberry Squeezins

Number of passes called and when we pass may look the same, however, the pass offense will be more of a weapon I think.  And all the time practicing footwork will have an impact hopefully, and  I won't be cringing when I see Brandon leave the pocket.   

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ChicoHog on July 14, 2015, 10:01:04 am
Take this with a grain of salt.  I know a guy who's son played for Enos at CMU a few years ago.  He was a backup QB (actually backed up Jordan Rodgers in HS also) who played some JC ball here in California and got a scholarship to play at CMU.  he never played much there so there mya be some sour grapes, I'm not sure.  anyway this guy told me that Enos' play calling was very predictable.  He also said that on Senior Day when Enos spoke to the players and parents he was maybe the most uninspiring guy he has ever heard.  He thinks he will be a major disappointment at Arkansas.

Now I personally have a lot of faith in the guy.  I'm looking forward to this season and I believe it will be a better offense.  Just thought I would let everyone know from a guy who's son played for Enos. 
Don't take this personally, but the first paragraph just sounds like some butthurt on the kid's/parents' part.

RebelW

HogWall Jackson

By design let's just admit we will not be a great come from behind football team.

hogsanity

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on July 14, 2015, 12:24:37 pm
By design let's just admit we will not be a great come from behind football team.

that is what you got out of this entire discussion?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on July 14, 2015, 12:24:37 pm

Sorry, but, no.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858