Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is what I have been saying

Started by Kevin, July 13, 2015, 02:55:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on July 14, 2015, 12:24:37 pm
By design let's just admit we will not be a great come from behind football team.

Ask Dan Enos if this type of offenses come back if the play calling is right.. Watch the CMU Bowl game again

RebelW

Remember Dantonio's similar pro style offense winning in the 4th quarter agains Baylor?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on July 14, 2015, 10:59:18 am
As a fan do you want :

1. More passing or

2. More EFFECTIVE passing.

I do not care if they only throw 5 times a game, of those passes are effective. 

Bret has said on several occasions: if you can run the ball well AND throw for over 200 yards per game, you're going to win a lot of football games.

I will add I believe he's making a assumption that his team will play good defense.

It's not a complicated scenario.  Too many folks are over-thinking the deal.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

O Shucky

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on July 14, 2015, 12:24:37 pm
By design let's just admit we will not be a great come from behind football team.

By design, let's just admit that we will never be far behind as a football team.

While we are at admitting things, let's also admit, that we will be leading most games, and by design, chewing up clock not allowing others to think of coming back.

dandd TD

I think Enos will do fine. Our offense will work as long as the one calling the plays doesn't completely abandon what is working to go with something different. The best OC's will tell you........if it's working, don't stop doing it! This is sound advice from pee-wee to NFL coaching. I don't care who's offense it is as long as we score points and control the clock. TOO many times last year the plays that worked in the first half WERE NOT TRIED IN THE SECOND HALF. I know defenses adjust, but OC's have to test the defenses adjustments. It seemed to me that we wore down opponents last year but by the time that wearing down started to pay off we took our foot off their throat. I bet Enos doesn't do that. I bet Bielema has made that adjustment with Enos already.

MissippHog

Quote from: dandd TD on July 14, 2015, 12:39:05 pm
It seemed to me that we wore down opponents last year but by the time that wearing down started to pay off we took our foot off their throat. I bet Enos doesn't do that. I bet Bielema has made that adjustment with Enos already.
To me, I think we wore ourselves out at times late in the game last year.  Quality depth will fix that.

Kevin

I think the enos/cbb combination will be better than the Chaney/cbb combo
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dandd TD

I agree, Kevin. I was never a fan of Chaney. I was not a fan of Chaney when he was at Tenn. I will admit, I like running the ball. To me it imposes your will on the opponent. If I could win throwing the ball every play, though, I'd prolly be a passing coach. What Bielema is building is a program that is "next man up" mentality. If you are a passing, air raid attack, type team then you had better hope your QB stays healthy. In CBB system, it seems you can find success with a non- 5 star type player. This system makes everyone accountable and better. On the field and off. This self discipline kicks in when your butt is hanging over the goal line.

hawgsalot

All you have to do is is go back and read the players reports from the spring.  The WRs and QBs made it very clear this passing game has been expanded greatly.  that doesn't mean they'll throw it more but everyone thinks its going to be better.

snoblind

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 14, 2015, 11:05:53 am
I've killed two threads with the research below.  Maybe this one will die now also.  Here's a thumbnail for the TLDR crowd - QBs' efficiency in the past has improved significantly after Enos took over:

Dan Enos was a grad assistant at Michigan State from 1991-1993, where he was the starting QB his last two years, having led the Spartans to a Big 10 co-championship his senior year.  Here's a link to his Wiki bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Enos

Enos took over as OC three time between 1994 and 2003, but none of the schools where he took over were D1 schools with easily available year-to-year stats, at least not that I can find.  This is the first time Enos has taken over as OC at a D1 (now known as FBS) school. However, in 2004, Enos took over as QB coach at Cincinnati.  Since he is also the QB coach at Arkansas, his track record there is applicable for purposes of this subject.  The results at Cincinnati were impressive.  Gino Giudugli's QB rating jumped 33.5 points in one year.  You can compare Giudugli's 2003 and 2004 numbers at these two links:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/cincinnati/2003.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/cincinnati/2004.html

Perhaps based on Giudugli's strong progress, Michigan State hired Enos to coach QBs in 2005.  Drew Stanton's rating jumped 21.6 points over the previous year:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2004.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2005.html

There are no other numbers showing a QB's progress when Enos took over purely as a QB coach or OC, but the average increase posted by Giudugli and Stanton was 27.55.

Brandon Allen finished last season with a rating of 129.2.  A 27.55 increase would have landed him at 156.75.  Based on 2014 NCAA QB rankings, Allen would have replaced Hutson Mason at number 10.  Allen's actual finish was 68, so that would have been a rise of 58 spots.

At both Cincinnati and Michigan State, Enos took over a QB who had started the previous year.  Same at Arkansas.  If history repeats itself where QB improvement is concerned the year Enos arrives on the scene, the Hogs could be looking at no worse than 10-2, and Brandon Allen could wind up as SEC POY.   

TLDR

J/k  j/k

If BA improves his rating 15-25% and ends up top a 25 QB we could be talking a SECCG.  At the very least the anti BA folks will be blowing a gasket.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Kevin on July 14, 2015, 09:06:09 am
Bet is is more rob smith than the offense is enos'

Who hired Rob Smith Einstein?

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Wildhog on July 14, 2015, 09:23:16 am
This is one of the more pointless debates I've seen on this board in a little bit.

You are correct brother

I believe you've correctly pegged similar posters as "concern trolls"

That's what we've got here. They do have agendas. They are passive aggressive whiners. They are fakes as well in their personal lives - sorry if that stings anyone who might realize it applies to them

ChicoHog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on July 14, 2015, 11:53:23 am
Don't take this personally, but the first paragraph just sounds like some butthurt on the kid's/parents' part.
That could very well be the case.  Like a lot of parents he thought his son was better than he actually was (at least in the coaches eyes).   We see it in every sport at every level.  Very common problem!