Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is what I have been saying

Started by Kevin, July 13, 2015, 02:55:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

@SportsTalkwBo: Pittman: The offense will be more similar than different. It's not Dan or Jim's offense, it's Bret Bielema's.

Finally, the truth is out
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rhames

But but but we are going to pass more and Brett wants to throw it down the field and Dan was hired to run his not Brett's  offense even though he didn't bring any assistants with him

Anyone who thought or still thinks we will pass more is mistaken.

We will be better at passing but we are still going to run the ball 60 to 65 percent of the time.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2015, 03:01:29 pm
But but but we are going to pass more and Brett wants to throw it down the field and Dan was hired to run his not Brett's  offense even though he didn't bring any assistants with him

We will be better at passing but we are still going to run the ball 60 to 65 percent of the time.

I don't think many have said otherwise. The hope is that those pass plays are more effective than they were previously. What we do on those 35-40% pass plays will be somewhat different, no doubt.

rhames

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2015, 03:04:43 pm
I don't think many have said otherwise. The hope is that those pass plays are more effective than they were previously. What we do on those 35-40% pass plays will be somewhat different, no doubt.

There was a thread about kody walker a few weeks back that turned into a "we will pass more" debate.  A lot of people were on that train.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2015, 03:06:53 pm

There was a thread about kody walker a few weeks back that turned into a "we will pass more" debate.  A lot of people were on that train.

We will if the run gets stuffed, and it will to some degree in tough SEC games. Hopefully we pass enough early to keep the box to 8 guys, lol.

lahawg1

I don't care how we make 1st downs and TD's. Just make'em......

WilsonHog

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2015, 03:06:53 pm

I can't imagine why.  To pass "more" would be getting away from what Bret Bielema believes in. Frankly, I want no part of it. I want us to be effective throwing the football when we decide to. If that means 15-20 passes a game, wonderful. I am not a fun of putting it the air 35-50 times, game in and game out.

Run the football. Shades of Kevin Scanlon at the controls would be fine by me.

Jek Tono Porkins

I think the biggest difference will be in the QB coaching and the completion percentage.

If it really is Bielema's offense, the QB completion % will be much higher. Scott Tolzien had a 73% completion percentage at Wisconsin in 2010, as did Russell Wilson in 2011.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

GuvHog

July 13, 2015, 03:17:33 pm #8 Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:51:59 pm by GuvHog
I'm one who still believes the Hog will pass more but not a great deal more, just enough to force opposing defenses to respect the Hog passing game and keep them from stacking the line of scrimmage to stop the run.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

arkansasrazorback

Honestly if anyone believed that we would pass more....nevermind won't go there.  We don't need to pass more.  We need the pass game to be more effective like many have already said.  I believe it will.

Biggus Piggus

Check how many games Arkansas ran 60-65% of the time in the past two seasons.

Then come back and let me laugh at you again.
[CENSORED]!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Kevin on July 13, 2015, 02:55:15 pm
@SportsTalkwBo: Pittman: The offense will be more similar than different. It's not Dan or Jim's offense, it's Bret Bielema's.

Finally, the truth is out

I seriously doubt CBB wanted BA to roll out to the right and throw. With the huge OL those play calls were always questionable. I think that was the dufus Chaney calling the idiotic roll out passes.

majestic

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 13, 2015, 03:50:26 pm

Yeah, 2013 rush was 76%, 2014 was 74%.  A bit more passing would be fine with me, as long as we win.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Mike_e

Heck, just hitting one more of those 40 yard passes over the middle a game that we couldn't seem to hit last year would give us 500 more yards passing next year.

Almost to that 3000 yard season everyone keeps hoping for.  We just need to be better at what we do.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

jgphillips3

Our dearth at WR has greatly hampered our passing game more than Bielema has.  We will pass more effectively and we will pass more.  I still think we'll be 65%-70% run, 30%-35% pass but that is still more passing than last year by percentages.  We have to be able to stop them from deploying 8-9 man fronts.  CBB is easily sharp enough to know you do that by passing effectively.  We will have some dynamic playmakers at WR this year who will make the passing game so much better just by their presence. 

GuvHog

Quote from: majestic on July 13, 2015, 03:58:04 pm
Yeah, 2013 rush was 76%, 2014 was 74%.  A bit more passing would be fine with me, as long as we win.

Yes, the Hogs did run the ball a lot the last 2 years but that's likely because up until the last 3 games of 2014, the passing game was sub-par.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

daBoar

2014 Rush attempts 557.  2014 Pass attempts 359.  60.8% and 39.2% respectively.

majestic

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2015, 04:05:21 pm
Yes, the Hogs did run the ball a lot the last 2 years but that's likely because up until the last 3 games of 2014, the passing game was sub-par.
Our passing game was not "sub-par" the last three games? 

Hollywood_HOGan45

I actually hope we pass LESS.
We were pounding aTm but chose to start chunking the ball in the 4th quarter. Mainly consisted of Allen scrambling and throwing in complete passes.

I hope every game looks like the Texas Tech game last year.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2015, 04:05:21 pm

The Passing game was awsome against UGA. Brandon Allen had a career high in passing yards and TDs but we lost by 13 points.

We passed so much because we had to.
I hope we are never in the situation where we have to chunk it every play.

majestic

Quote from: daBoar on July 13, 2015, 04:10:03 pm
2014 Rush attempts 557.  2014 Pass attempts 359.  60.8% and 39.2% respectively.
You are correct.... http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks

I used completions instead of attempts.  I win today's bonehead award.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 13, 2015, 04:16:14 pm
"But BB hires good assistants and doesnt micromanage what they do - beliema's army on hogville tells me this bs all the time.  Of course they aren't going to throw the ball well.  It not a BB priority...

"Bielema's army"
You can refer to that army as Arkansas Razorback fans.

Biggus Piggus

Here's the crude run-pass mix, most to least, in the 2014 season. It's crude in that the only adjustment is to move sacks into the pass column. It does not have other adjustments, such as removing "victory formation" plays, or special teams bumbles that are counted as runs.

85% Texas Tech
74% Nicholls
70% Ole Miss
66% Texas
66% NIU
64% Texas A&M
62% UAB
56% LSU
50% Missouri
46% Auburn
45% Mississippi State
42% Alabama
40% Georgia

In 2013:

84% Southern Miss
73% Samford
72% Mississippi State
67% Louisiana
65% South Carolina
61% Auburn
58% Alabama
52% Rutgers
52% LSU
52% Ole Miss
45% Texas A&M
36% Florida

Clearly, if an opponent can't stop the run, Arkansas is going to run on almost every play. What makes/breaks this season: 1) Will the Hogs be more successful at running against good defenses? 2) When the Hogs can't run at will, how effectively will they throw the football?

Not sure what kind of revelation the OP had, but there was never any doubt about what style of offense Arkansas is going to run under Bielema. Is he coaching the offense? Is he calling plays? No. Is Dan Enos better at coaching this group of players than Jim Chaney was? Seemed to me that Chaney did not know how to adjust to the limitations of his QBs and his WRs. Enos appears to be more comfortable with them, and they're certainly more comfortable with him.
[CENSORED]!

WilsonHog

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 13, 2015, 04:16:14 pm
"But BB hires good assistants and doesnt micromanage what they do - beliema's army on hogville tells me this bs all the time.  Of course they aren't going to throw the ball well.  It not a BB priority...

Since when is doing something "well" not a priority?

Hint: you're going to need a link to a quote by Coach Bielema. We're not starting off the season with this nonsense.

HF#1

The difference will be that we actually have a short passing game or screen game. That will help free up opportunities down the field, hopefully.

The approach will still be the same, balanced.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Biggus Piggus

Oh, by the way, the correct averages were 60% run in 2013 and 58% in 2014. They do not mean much, as is obvious in the game-by-game stats.
[CENSORED]!

Hankweb

Quote from: majestic on July 13, 2015, 04:15:19 pm
Our passing game was not "sub-par" the last three games?

Is this attempts or yardage?
Need to use attempts to show percentage of passes vs runs in our offensive plays. Using yardage shows which was more successful.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on July 13, 2015, 03:57:58 pm
I seriously doubt CBB wanted BA to roll out to the right and throw. With the huge OL those play calls were always questionable. I think that was the dufus Chaney calling the idiotic roll out passes.
How do you get that from what Pittman said? He basically said the offense won't change much and suddenly you've got Jim Chaney up in the booth last year calling plays Bielema didn't like but by golly that's gonna stop now.

Pittman's statement confirms what I've believed all along. Chaney may have been in the booth but that was Bret Bielema's offense they were running. It will be Bret Bielema's offense that they run this year.

This notion that Bielema was standing on the sideline with his thumb in his ear last year while Chaney called "Idiotic roll out passes" is ridiculous. If Bielema thought they were idiotic he would have overruled Chaney.

Hoggish1

Here is what's going to happen:

Opponents will find themselves in a no win situation because any school that puts 8 in the box is going to be picked apart. 

Opponents will be more inclined to play us straight up for a change.  But that will only limit their offensive possessions as we control the ball down their throats.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 13, 2015, 04:40:45 pm
How do you get that from what Pittman said? He basically said the offense won't change much and suddenly you've got Jim Chaney up in the booth last year calling plays Bielema didn't like but by golly that's gonna stop now.

Pittman's statement confirms what I've believed all along. Chaney may have been in the booth but that was Bret Bielema's offense they were running. It will be Bret Bielema's offense that they run this year.

This notion that Bielema was standing on the sideline with his thumb in his ear last year while Chaney called "Idiotic roll out passes" is ridiculous. If Bielema thought they were idiotic he would have overruled Chaney.

MikeIrwin, BA is a pocket passer supported by five 300+ pound OL and Rolling away from that protection isn't wise.  I think CBB is more of a CEO who let's his coordinators do their job. He may call fake FGs or fake punts but I find it hard to believe he thinks a huge part of his offense is to roll out pocket QBs. The philosophy is CBBs but the every down play calling isnt

O Shucky

Actually, in 2014 we ran 916 plays (359 pass, 557 rush). That is rushing 61% of the time. I got info straight from ESPN college football team stats for Arkansas.

Don't let your biases cause you to says things that aren't true.

MissippHog

If we are running the ball 60-65% week in and week out......that's a good thing.  Simply means the other team can't stop the run game and we are in control. 

MissippHog

Always so quick to defend Chaney.

There is no way we'll know who was calling plays, unless one of them came out and told us.  If the offense this season looks exactly like it did last year with the same play calling, I think it would be safe to say it's CBB's.  Probably won't know until half way through the season though.

That being said, I don't expect it to change much.  Hopefully, Enos has a few wrinkles up his sleeve.

majestic

Quote from: O Shucky on July 13, 2015, 05:00:34 pm
Actually, in 2014 we ran 916 plays (359 pass, 557 rush). That is rushing 61% of the time. I got info straight from ESPN college football team stats for Arkansas.

Yeah, I already admitted my mistake and posted the exact same link.  I don't have any biases regarding this topic. I simply used the wrong column. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: O Shucky on July 13, 2015, 05:00:34 pm

Fourteen of those rushes were sacks -- called pass plays. A couple of others were by the punter.

By the way -- ESPN stats aren't authoritative. Those numbers -- the team total is right, but they left out two important things. Eleven carries were attributed to the team. These could be all sorts of things. They include victory-formation kneel-downs. Also include plays that went totally bananas. If a snap goes past the punter, that's a "team" rush. Things like that.

Also - They left out the tight end around by A.J. Derby! Injustice.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

I could have sworn someone, a coach, said BA was a better roll out passer than a pocket passer.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on July 13, 2015, 04:53:12 pm
MikeIrwin, BA is a pocket passer supported by five 300+ pound OL and Rolling away from that protection isn't wise.  I think CBB is more of a CEO who let's his coordinators do their job. He may call fake FGs or fake punts but I find it hard to believe he thinks a huge part of his offense is to roll out pocket QBs. The philosophy is CBBs but the every down play calling isnt
You must have missed it in the spring of 2014 when Bielema made a big deal out of the fact that they were going to roll Brandon Allen out more in year two. He specifically said that Allen was not a true drop back passer and that the coaches believed he threw the ball better on the run.

Those rollouts that you don't like had Bielema's seal of approval before the 2014 season ever started.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 13, 2015, 05:13:19 pm
I could have sworn someone, a coach, said BA was a better roll out passer than a pocket passer.

More minus plays on +/- last year on roll out plays. BA threw better from inside the pocket. I watched every game and his roll out plays were throws to the right side of the field that were not positive plays for the most part. Many of them were no one seperating and BA throwing the ball away. I expect less of these plays in 2015 and more passes from the pocket with five 300 pound OL protecting BA

Biggus Piggus

By the way -- It is strange to see some people complain about how often Arkansas runs the football, because the higher run totals come in the Hogs' better football games. You might notice that if you tried.

If Arkansas had averaged anywhere close to 60/40 run pass during the time of Hatfield, people would have been ecstatic. Hatfield ran closer to 80/20.
[CENSORED]!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 13, 2015, 05:23:11 pm
By the way -- It is strange to see some people complain about how often Arkansas runs the football, because the higher run totals come in the Hogs' better football games. You might notice that if you tried.

If Arkansas had averaged anywhere close to 60/40 run pass during the time of Hatfield, people would have been ecstatic. Hatfield ran closer to 80/20.

Biggus, running the football keeps the dominant defense off the field and fresh. I'm completely okay with running the football although fumbles can anger me

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MissippHog on July 13, 2015, 05:08:43 pm
Always so quick to defend Chaney.

There is no way we'll know who was calling plays, unless one of them came out and told us.  If the offense this season looks exactly like it did last year with the same play calling, I think it would be safe to say it's CBB's.  Probably won't know until half way through the season though.

That being said, I don't expect it to change much.  Hopefully, Enos has a few wrinkles up his sleeve.
I'm not defending him. I'm explaining how things worked when he was the OC.  Anybody that believes there was a tug of war going on between Bielema and Chaney over the play calling is making stuff up. Bielema ran the show. Yeah, Chaney had a certain amount of freedom but if there had been major differences between the two Chaney would have been fired (and he wasn't).

I do think Chaney was frustrated. He wanted a more mobile offensive line. There were certain plays he didn't like to call because he didn't feel like the O linemen were quick enough to pull it off. But he was not insubordinate.

Enos does appear to be a much better fit for Brandon Allen and I think the offense will benefit from that this fall but I believe Pittman when he says the offensive style will not change much.

hoglady

Who cares how many times we pass the ball?
As long as the offense is effective it really doesn't matter.
Just win the game.
We ran a decent offense in most games for 3 quarters and then hit the skids in the 4th quarter. Hopefully, the addition of Enos will help us solve that problem. If it doesn't - we will continue to lose more SEC games than we win.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rhames

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 13, 2015, 03:50:26 pm

I don't get how you're laughing at me.

I'm right

Yeah you could point to where there were games when we passed more. Those were probably loses and we were playing from behind

At the end is the day, what are the percentages?

Obviously not every game they are going to run it 60 percent of the time like you said it's depends on the situation.

At the end of the 2015 the run to pass ratio will be what it has been. I actually think we will have more runs with more wins

But yeah laugh away big guy 

PonderinHog

I care about how many passes are completed.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TeedupHigh

When a team can avg. 5.1 per rush, well I find that pretty damn good!  The game I enjoyed more than any last year was Ttech!  We ran the ball and made them like it time and time again!  Ttech quit because they could not do one thing about the run so why care about how many times we fling it?   I really don't care how many times we run or throw as long as we win.

rhames

Quote from: TeedupHigh on July 13, 2015, 05:47:54 pm
When a team can avg. 5.1 per rush, well I find that pretty damn good!  The game I enjoyed more than any last year was Ttech!  We ran the ball and made them like it time and time again!  Ttech quit because they could not do one thing about the run so why care about how many times we fling it?   I really don't care how many times we run or throw as long as we win.

I think we will see that a lot this year. Especially with sec defenses going with light and quick d linemen to better stop fast pace offenses. Bama is the only team I think we will struggle to run the ball on.

rhames

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 13, 2015, 05:23:11 pm

Also I think you're jumping to conclusions about people complaining. No one is complaining.

Pig In The City

Point is that Top tier SEC teams are not going to let us beat them with the run. I prefer an offense that keeps a defense guessing.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 13, 2015, 05:11:31 pm

Also - They left out the tight end around by A.J. Derby! Injustice.

I have watched about 3 CMU games and in one Enos did run a TE end around (I think it was the first CMU vs WKU bowl) and there were also toss plays to the short side of the field.