Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OT: Youth Flag Football

Started by Hogtropolis™, July 13, 2015, 10:20:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

I was wondering if anyone knew of a flag football league in the Fort Smith/Van Buren area for youth. My son is going into the 1st grade and is interested in playing football, but honestly, I'm not quite ready to let him start playing tackle football yet with all the research and books I've read (League of Denial and various journal articles) about the harmful effects of playing football for long periods of time as related to concussions. I was wanting to see if there was a league around for him to play in. If not we'll probably just play soccer for a few more years.

Thanks for any help.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on July 13, 2015, 10:20:36 am
I was wondering if anyone knew of a flag football league in the Fort Smith/Van Buren area for youth. My son is going into the 1st grade and is interested in playing football, but honestly, I'm not quite ready to let him start playing tackle football yet with all the research and books I've read (League of Denial and various journal articles) about the harmful effects of playing football for long periods of time as related to concussions. I was wanting to see if there was a league around for him to play in. If not we'll probably just play soccer for a few more years.

Thanks for any help.

hettin dudnt; hrut me..! uyor'e kids gonan be a spnya..!

Just kidding dad .. ;)

Flag football didn't do anything to hurt Barry Sanders at all...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MissippHog

Is your kid fast?  Basically, the way they do it around here, the couple of fast kids are at QB and RB.  All the pudgy kids are "linemen."  QB hands it off to the fast kid and everyone else stands around watching the fast kid run.  The team with the two fastest kids wins.  That's flag football in a nutshell.

ricepig

Quote from: MissippHog on July 13, 2015, 02:57:48 pm
Is your kid fast?  Basically, the way they do it around here, the couple of fast kids are at QB and RB.  All the pudgy kids are "linemen."  QB hands it off to the fast kid and everyone else stands around watching the fast kid run.  The team with the two fastest kids wins.  That's flag football in a nutshell.

Lol, ain't that the truth.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: MissippHog on July 13, 2015, 02:57:48 pm

That's youth football, period. Tackle variety, too.

thirrdegreetusker

After being around youth football since the 60s, it is my opinion that a boy can wait until around sixth grade to start playing tackle football, and not get left behind. He will be fine playing flag, or soccer.

ricepig

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on July 13, 2015, 03:07:34 pm
After being around youth football since the 60s, it is my opinion that a boy can wait until around sixth grade to start playing tackle football, and not get left behind. He will be fine playing flag, or soccer.

My oldest did that, never missed a beat.

oldman1015

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on July 13, 2015, 03:07:34 pm
i agree
Arkansas, the left lane state.