Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Media Days Schedule

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 13, 2015, 06:59:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

For those who didn't know the schedule.

•MONDAY: Greg Sankey, Gus Malzahn (11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. CST); Jim McElwain, Derek Mason (2:30-5:30 p.m.)
•TUESDAY: Steve Shaw (8:30-9:30 a.m.); Steve Spurrier, Kevin Sumlin (9 a.m.-noon); Dan Mullen, Butch Jones (1-4 p.m.)
•WEDNESDAY: Nick Saban, Mark Stoops (9 a.m.-noon); Gary Pinkel, Bret Bielema (1-4 p.m.)
•THURSDAY: Mark Richt, Hugh Freeze, Les Miles (9 a.m.-1:30 p.m.)

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-media-days-preview/
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

GolfnHog

Listened to Mr. Sankey while at the house for lunch and I was impressed with his presentation and demeanor.. He even had a decent sense of humor that seemed to fly over the heads of the media or they were to uptight to appreciate the humor at that moment.

Left before his Q&A session was done but don't think the SEC will lose a beat w/ him at the helm.

Question though, is Kevin Trainor still with the UofA or did he transition to the SEC office? He was the moderator and organizer for the Commissioners segment.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

dhizzle

Gus talked about teams going hunh said some teams that grip about it are doing it now. I think that was for God's gift to football Saban.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GolfnHog on July 13, 2015, 01:16:04 pm
Listened to Mr. Sankey while at the house for lunch and I was impressed with his presentation and demeanor.. He even had a decent sense of humor that seemed to fly over the heads of the media or they were to uptight to appreciate the humor at that moment.

Left before his Q&A session was done but don't think the SEC will lose a beat w/ him at the helm.

Question though, is Kevin Trainor still with the UofA or did he transition to the SEC office? He was the moderator and organizer for the Commissioners segment.

Still with the U of A.
Go Hogs Go!

Augustus

Did anyone catch the 2 segments that "the panel" on SEC Now ran about the Hogs today?

The first one was in between Sankey & Malzahn, and the 2nd was after McElwain.

Both were very complimentary about the Hogs (with the understanding that SEC Media days, they have to try to hype everybody and fill time)

...but one thing that stood out to me, it seems like Greg McElroy is pretty dang high on the Hogs.  He was very complimentary of the Hogs today.  He said multiple times that the SEC West is a "7 horse race" for contention, while the East is only a "3 horse race" (UGA, mizzou, Tenn).

Actually, the rest of the panel was also complimentary as well. Not near as much talk about Ole Miss, Miss St, or LSU that I saw

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Augustus on July 13, 2015, 06:41:20 pm
Did anyone catch the 2 segments that "the panel" on SEC Now ran about the Hogs today?

The first one was in between Sankey & Malzahn, and the 2nd was after McElwain.

Both were very complimentary about the Hogs (with the understanding that SEC Media days, they have to try to hype everybody and fill time)

...but one thing that stood out to me, it seems like Greg McElroy is pretty dang high on the Hogs.  He was very complimentary of the Hogs today.  He said multiple times that the SEC West is a "7 horse race" for contention, while the East is only a "3 horse race" (UGA, mizzou, Tenn).

Actually, the rest of the panel was also complimentary as well. Not near as much talk about Ole Miss, Miss St, or LSU that I saw

I have to wonder how much of what they say is scripted so that they are playing their "roles" (point-counterpoint) as opposed to speaking their true opinions? I know that McElroy has been high on the Hogs in the past as well but I think it would be very interesting if you could get these guys away from the camera, buy them a drink or two and find out what they really think on varying topics about college football.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

You saw some smoothness and polish to Arkansas this Spring, it was very apparent and some are taking note. The question is, can they develop depth and add smoothness and polish two and in some cases three deep? In this conference it just might be a must. The thing is in some minds how can Arkansas have come this far in just two years when they have only recruited at the 10TH, 11TH or 12TH best level in this conference, again in some minds? If what happens, what I think may happen this Fall, even some of our own star gazers will need to reassess their thinking.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

MissippHog

McElroy said towards the end of last season that he grew up watching the Hogs.

GuvHog

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 14, 2015, 07:51:38 am
You saw some smoothness and polish to Arkansas this Spring, it was very apparent and some are taking note. The question is, can they develop depth and add smoothness and polish two and in some cases three deep? In this conference it just might be a must. The thing is in some minds how can Arkansas have come this far in just two years when they have only recruited at the 10TH, 11TH or 12TH best level in this conference, again in some minds? If what happens, what I think may happen this Fall, even some of our own star gazers will need to reassess their thinking.

Well said Theo, I very much agree.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Augustus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2015, 07:06:35 am
I have to wonder how much of what they say is scripted so that they are playing their "roles" (point-counterpoint) as opposed to speaking their true opinions? I know that McElroy has been high on the Hogs in the past as well but I think it would be very interesting if you could get these guys away from the camera, buy them a drink or two and find out what they really think on varying topics about college football.

Yeah, that's a good point about being scripted... this *is* the SEC Media days, so they basically have to sunshine pump all of the SEC programs.  I mean, they were even complimenting Vandy & Mason (you could tell they had to groupthink/script comments)

There was a point later in the day today, where McElroy and maybe Spears (or maybe Booger) had said multiple times "Arkansas is a legitimate contender for the West"

And, I was thinking to myself... "Com'n now... we are going to be very improved this year, but even I don't see us legit winning the West"

So, yeah, they are probably just filling time and sunshine pumping the entire conference.  I mean, the various segments they ran on Tenn today almost made me throw up.  I don't think Tenn is there yet, either.  Don't see them winning the East.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Augustus on July 14, 2015, 07:20:54 pm
Yeah, that's a good point about being scripted... this *is* the SEC Media days, so they basically have to sunshine pump all of the SEC programs.  I mean, they were even complimenting Vandy & Mason (you could tell they had to groupthink/script comments)

There was a point later in the day today, where McElroy and maybe Spears (or maybe Booger) had said multiple times "Arkansas is a legitimate contender for the West"

And, I was thinking to myself... "Com'n now... we are going to be very improved this year, but even I don't see us legit winning the West"

So, yeah, they are probably just filling time and sunshine pumping the entire conference.  I mean, the various segments they ran on Tenn today almost made me throw up.  I don't think Tenn is there yet, either.  Don't see them winning the East.
TN fans think Dobbs is going to save the day for them this yr. Look at who they played last yr.  Besides, I think GA will win the East easily.

GoHogs1091

Malzahn stated on at least 2 different occasions yesterday that Will Muschamp is the best defensive mind in college football.

I totally disagree with Malzahn.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 14, 2015, 08:27:51 pm
Malzahn stated on at least 2 different occasions yesterday that Will Muschamp is the best defensive mind in college football.

He hired him and has him on staff now, what else is he going to say? "Gee guys, I might have screwed up making this DC hire?" Of course he is going to say that. We will see once the season starts.
Go Hogs Go!

BPsTheMan

anything and everything that Gus Malzahn says is a self-promotion of Gus Malzahn

of course he taught 80-plus year olds Marv Levy and Ted Marchibroda everything they knew about the no huddle

ALLVOL

July 14, 2015, 09:23:39 pm #15 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:59:12 pm by ALLVOL
Quote from: Hog N Bama on July 14, 2015, 07:52:47 pm
TN fans think Dobbs is going to save the day for them this yr. Look at who they played last yr.  Besides, I think GA will win the East easily.
There's a lot more to UT than Dobbs. Tons more.

ldfergu

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 14, 2015, 08:27:51 pm

He actually stated that he was he best defensive mind in all of football

GoHogs1091

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 14, 2015, 09:48:06 pm
He actually stated that he was he best defensive mind in all of football

That makes Malzahn even more incorrect.

Texas' Defense had some not so good moments when Muschamp was their DC.

murthage

Not to sure about Muschamp's defensive mind, but I have seen him demonstrate is exceptionally filthy mouth on TV multiple times. 

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: murthage on July 14, 2015, 11:24:40 pm
Not to sure about Muschamp's defensive mind, but I have seen him demonstrate is exceptionally filthy mouth on TV multiple times.

I too have seen Muschamp swear a few blue streaks in the past. I saw him perform well at Texas for a while, not so much by the time he left. I am not sure he is as good as Rob Smith today and he is for sure no John Chavis.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 14, 2015, 10:10:04 pm
That makes Malzahn even more incorrect.

Texas' Defense had some not so good moments when Muschamp was their DC.

Pretty much every year vs Oklahoma.

navyhog24

Expect some good quotes today from Saban and Coach B

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 15, 2015, 08:43:03 am
Pretty much every year vs Oklahoma.
You could say the same about most quality teams they faced. I think Muschamp is very overrated. I also think Rob Smith is underrated but that will change after this season for Rob. If he has the kind of D this year that I think he will be mentioned as one of the best.

OptimusHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 15, 2015, 08:48:13 am
Expect some good quotes today from Saban and Coach B

Saban didn't have much to say.

ALLVOL

July 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am #24 Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:34:13 am by ALLVOL
Quote from: OptimusHog on July 15, 2015, 09:41:35 am
Saban didn't have much to say.
He nnormally doesn't at SECMD. He was actually less of a prick than normal.

RazorWhacker

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 14, 2015, 08:57:56 pm
anything and everything that Gus Malzahn says is a self-promotion of Gus Malzahn

of course he taught 80-plus year olds Marv Levy and Ted Marchibroda everything they knew about the no huddle

Yep.

He's kinda put himself in a difficult place with that statement too. What's he going to say when he doesn't win the NC this season?

I'll tell you what he'll say: when he sits down at his desk next year he'll say ""sniff sniff", whew, smells like burnt ass in here"

DCHawg

Dr. Starcs

Cox cable secn is all screwed up right now. Hope its fixed for CBB.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 15, 2015, 09:16:25 am
You could say the same about most quality teams they faced. I think Muschamp is very overrated. I also think Rob Smith is underrated but that will change after this season for Rob. If he has the kind of D this year that I think he will be mentioned as one of the best.

Very much agree. If we have half as good a defense as we did in November 14, Robb Smith should be our first million dollar assistant coach.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 15, 2015, 12:14:24 pm
Very much agree. If we have half as good a defense as we did in November 14, Robb Smith should be our first million dollar assistant coach.
My biggest question for Hogs this year on D is replacing Flowers, Speight and Philon. I'm sure the talent will be there but the loss of their leadership on the team will be hard to replace. Also with the secondary. How does the Hogs secondary look?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 15, 2015, 12:38:21 pm
My biggest question for Hogs this year on D is replacing Flowers, Speight and Philon. I'm sure the talent will be there but the loss of their leadership on the team will be hard to replace. Also with the secondary. How does the Hogs secondary look?

I love the Arkansas defense this year because they will play as a team. The odds are we won't have anyone as good as Flowers, Spaight, or Philon (should have stayed). But Arkansas won't be short of bodies on the DL. They may be able to play more linemen than they did a year ago.

Linebackers will have to stay healthy. Brooks Ellis will attempt to replace Spaight's prodction at weakside. This may be the area with the least depth.

Secondary will be the best group since the late 90s with David Barrett and Kenoy Kennedy. Very excited abou this group. Could be the most skilled area on the team this year. Jared Collins is the player that has improved the most. Collins got beat very badly against LSU in 2013 on the winning TD but came back and was an animal vs LSU this year. Arkansas led the nation in passes broken up. Hopefully a few of those can turn into INTs.

Should be a fun defense to watch. Not that many stars but they will play as a team as well as any defense in the SEC.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 15, 2015, 01:30:02 pm
I love the Arkansas defense this year because they will play as a team. The odds are we won't have anyone as good as Flowers, Spaight, or Philon (should have stayed). But Arkansas won't be short of bodies on the DL. They may be able to play more linemen than they did a year ago.

Linebackers will have to stay healthy. Brooks Ellis will attempt to replace Spaight's prodction at weakside. This may be the area with the least de
pth.

Secondary will be the best group since the late 90s with David Barrett and Kenoy Kennedy. Very excited abou this group. Could be the most skilled area on the team this year. Jared Collins is the player that has improved the most. Collins got beat very badly against LSU in 2013 on the winning TD but came back and was an animal vs LSU this year. Arkansas led the nation in passes broken up. Hopefully a few of those can turn into INTs.

Should be a fun defense to watch. Not that many stars but they will play as a team as well as any defense in the SEC.
I thought Hogs struggled more against passing teams. I have no doubt the talent will be there. And I agree, will be a fun season.