Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to go to natural grass!!

Started by johnnytkb, July 11, 2015, 12:34:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Papa Satan

The 2006 USC season opener comes to mind.  Turf was splotchy, embarrassing for a nationally televised game.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on July 12, 2015, 01:38:13 pm
The 2006 USC season opener comes to mind.  Turf was splotchy, embarrassing for a nationally televised game.

Splotchy turf was the least of our concerns that night.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Rey Pygsterio

The only reason the UA has artificial turf is because Petrino demanded it.

Turns out that was a terrible reason to change.

The SEC is a grass league. If you want turf, move to the Big 12.

And one day there is going to be a class-action lawsuit against every institution that installed it.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

HOGGISHABOUTAR

seems like there is a new synthetic turf that is also considered "no fly out" and uses sand and small tan colored beads made of another substance instead of the rubber fill. I am thinking UCA`s baseball field may have it, but not 100% sure. Either way. Go Hogs!

HOGGISHABOUTAR

coconut fibers, and cork I believe. 100% non toxic.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: johnnytkb on July 11, 2015, 12:34:58 am
Looks better and probably helps our big o-lineman get a grip on them speed guys. 
Play in the mud hogs !!!!

Best post of the day !+1 Turf should be removed.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on July 13, 2015, 03:03:04 pm

And one day there is going to be a class-action lawsuit against every institution that installed it.
I have no clue if that rubber crap is dangerous but it smells awful. It's also not hard to imagine what happens when players puke on that stuff on a daily basis.

One of the things I always used to love about football season was the smell of freshly cut grass in the fall. These days when you walk out onto the sidelines is smells like you are standing in the middle of a tire factory.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 13, 2015, 04:50:00 pm
I have no clue if that rubber crap is dangerous but it smells awful. It's also not hard to imagine what happens when players puke on that stuff on a daily basis.

One of the things I always used to love about football season was the smell of freshly cut grass in the fall. These days when you walk out onto the sidelines is smells like you are standing in the middle of a tire factory.

Mike Irwin, I remember games in the mud and rainy and I loved the Hogs being in the dirt grinding it out. Arkansas is also a land grant agricultural school orginally so getting rid of the turf should be a must!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on July 13, 2015, 03:03:04 pm

You are right about the SEC being a predominantly "grass" conference.

But the fact that we have Field Turf and others have to prepare to play on it, may give us a slight advantage for home games. 

Alabama-Grass
Arkansas-Field Turf
Auburn-Grass
Florida-Grass
Georgia-Grass
Kentucky-Grass
LSU-Grass
Ole Miss-Field Turf
Miss St-Grass
Missouri-Field Turf
S. Carolina-Grass
Tennessee-Grass
Texas A&M-Grass
Vanderbilt-Field Turf

http://www.collegegridirons.com/sec.htm
Go Hogs Go!

Cubbie08

Grass is the only way to go. Our field looks awful on TV!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cubbie08 on July 13, 2015, 07:00:01 pm
Grass is the only way to go. Our field looks awful on TV!!!

Oh well, there is a reason to go back to grass. Seriously, I think our field looks just fine on t.v. and that really isn't what should matter. Does it help our team perform better than they would otherwise or not? That's really all that matters.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

I can honestly say I've never saw the field on tv and thought it looked awful

Then again I don't particularly care what uniforms they wear either as long as it has a hog on it.

I'm not wired to be dissatisfied with anything. I watch for the pure joy and emotion it provoked in me as a child, and for the emotion it still does in me today.

Sports were so much better when it was for enjoyment. I enjoy watching even in defeat. Of course it's better when you win, that's why are is always next week

Seems some would be much more satisfied if you took that approach and just let sports play out and not try to control every aspect of it
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Cubbie08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 13, 2015, 07:03:49 pm
Oh well, there is a reason to go back to grass. Seriously, I think our field looks just fine on t.v. and that really isn't what should matter. Does it help our team perform better than they would otherwise or not? That's really all that matters.

I don't understand that theory. If it helps our team perform better, would it not help the other team perform better?  As far as it looks on TV, it has shine to it.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 11, 2015, 07:11:54 pm
I still have carpet burns from the Astroturf. 

Ain't that the truth!  1984 AA Championship game.......remember those God-awful three faded stars at midfield?  WTH was that all about anyway?  Playing on that surface was literally like playing on fuzzy concrete.