Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long Voted Top 25 Most Influential People in College Sports

Started by WilsonHog, July 09, 2015, 05:15:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Congratulations, Jeff!

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/jon-solomon/25236858/the-25-most-influential-people-in-college-sports

"Who is he? Long has as many votes as the other members of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. But Long's voice each week in November and December becomes the one that the public hears to explain the committee's thinking. Long's explanations sometimes opened a can of worms, but the answers provided more transparency than the NCAA men's basketball committee often offered after the real selections. Long gained credibility in 2012 by firing Bobby Petrino for unfairly hiring his mistress and lying about numerous issues to Long."

WJBilly

Just wanted to say congratulations Mr. Long before the "Jeff Long is only looking out for himself" crowd starts chiming in.

Calling All Hogs

Congratulations to Jeff Long. It is an honor. I wish he hadn't happen to tie with Jimmy Sexton, though. :)

B0SSH0GG

I probably would have ranked Jeff Long a little higher after looking at the list. I for one am very thankful we have a man of this character and vision at the helm of Razorback athletics. I am not a Frank Broyles hater like many but I think that Jeff Long has taken what Frank started and has upped the ante significantly. Frank put us on the map but it is Jeff long that will lead us to the Promised Land.
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on July 09, 2015, 06:09:51 pm
Congratulations to Jeff Long. It is an honor. I wish he hadn't happen to tie with Jimmy Sexton, though. :)
i know, right? weird
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

BluegrassRazorback

This is a wonderful thing for Arkansas - the insights for strategic planning and the relationships his position creates by being at the table making decisions in the CF playoff gives Arkansas a higher profile and leverage

Arkansas is well placed for the future with Jeff Long representing the Razorbacks  -   I'm very grateful - IMHO his only real mistake (and I thought it was the right decision at the time) was to hire John L Smith - but its looking good now - which is why he is making the bucks to run the program and I'm just a fan watching  ;D

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Steef

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

The Kig

The order of rank for many on the list seems odd for me... But it's just a list, albeit of some major movers and shakers. 

I would think Long would be in the top 10, but he made the list.   Good pub for us, no matter your stance on him personally. 
Poker Porker

GoHogs1091

To me, there shouldn't be any Athletic Director on the list.  It doesn't matter if an AD is the head of a playoff committee.  The members of that committee as a whole are more important than one single head of the committee.  Without the other members, there would be no committee, and therefore, no need for a head of a committee.

My top 10 list would be the following.

1.  Mark Emmert   The President of the organization that has the main direct influence/control over all of college sports.
2.  Phil Knight   Co-Founder and Chairman of Nike
3.  Jimmy Sexton   Agent  Someone has to aid in ripping off University Athletic Departments/University Foundations by getting Coach clients overpaid, and Sexton's work leads to higher ticket prices for the fans, which is terrible because the fans are the "lifeblood" of all of college sports.
4.  Greg Sankey  SEC Commissioner
5.  John Swofford  ACC Commissioner   ACC Basketball "props up" the rest of college basketball.
6.  Kevin Plank   Under Armour Founder and CO
7.  Oliver Luck   NCAA Executive Vice President
8.  Mike Krzyzewski  Duke Head Basketball Coach
9.  Nick Saban   Alabama Head Football Coach
10. Donald Remy   NCAA Chief Legal Officer

LRRandy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 12, 2015, 04:29:44 pm
To me, there shouldn't be any Athletic Director on the list.  It doesn't matter if an AD is the head of a playoff committee.  The members of that committee as a whole are more important than one single head of the committee.  Without the other members, there would be no committee, and therefore, no need for a head of a committee.

My top 10 list would be the following.

1.  Mark Emmert   The President of the organization that has the main direct influence/control over all of college sports. BRENT VENABLES
2.  Phil Knight   Co-Founder and Chairman of Nike
3.  Jimmy Sexton   Agent  Someone has to aid in ripping off University Athletic Departments/University Foundations by getting Coach clients overpaid, and Sexton's work leads to higher ticket prices for the fans, which is terrible because the fans are the "lifeblood" of all of college sports.
4.  Greg Sankey  SEC Commissioner
5.  John Swofford  ACC Commissioner   ACC Basketball "props up" the rest of college basketball.
6.  Kevin Plank   Under Armour Founder and CO
7.  Oliver Luck   NCAA Executive Vice President
8.  Mike Krzyzewski  Duke Head Basketball Coach
9.  Nick Saban   Alabama Head Football Coach
10. Donald Remy   NCAA Chief Legal Officer
fify. :-)
This is fun, isn't it.

rhames

Dat dern Dere Yankee probably paid on of his dern Dere Yankee friends to be put on dat dern Dere list.

He's a yank and we don't need no yank making our choices

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

BPsTheMan

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rhames on July 12, 2015, 06:06:53 pm
Dat dern Dere Yankee probably paid on of his dern Dere Yankee friends to be put on dat dern Dere list.

Where's my dang Confederate Flag!

opineonswine

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on July 12, 2015, 06:06:53 pm

So how do you feel about coach BB? He's not from around here either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rhames

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 12, 2015, 06:21:29 pm
Where's my dang Confederate Flag!

My old lady's HOLDIN mine as we speak. Spent all day yarnder at the wal mart yesterday letting that darling flow in all her glory.

Then killed a pack of miller highlife.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Hawgzinbowlz

sickboy

Some people would simply cut off their nose to spite their face. That's just the way it's gonna be. Bottom line is Jeff Long has been one of the best things to come our way in a long time.

Augustus

Well deserved by Mr. Long.  He's been a Champion for the UofA.

One issue I have is the ranking of Greg Sankey (SEC Commish). Yes, he's chair of NCAA infractions committee, but he just assumed the SEC Commish role.

Mike Slive should've have been ranked higher than Sankey, and higher than 8th. Given the magnitude of the SEC deals these past few years (SEC expansion to 14 teams, SEC network).

Another issue I have is:  Bob Bowlsby (Big 12 Commish) at #3?! With the fiasco that HE was responsible for, during the 1st ever CFB Playoffs? He basically eliminated his Conference's chances as being a 1 of 4.

I guess... bad judgement is still "influence"? Maybe that's the point they were making?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on July 12, 2015, 07:07:15 pm

My old lady's HOLDIN mine as we speak. Spent all day yarnder at the wal mart yesterday letting that darling flow in all her glory.

Then killed a pack of miller highlife.

Guess where Miller highlife is from....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 13, 2015, 05:34:50 am
Guess where Miller highlife is from....................

Hopefully from a land where humor and tounge and check remarks don't go unnoticed.

hoglady

Quote from: B0SSH0GG on July 09, 2015, 06:58:36 pm
I probably would have ranked Jeff Long a little higher after looking at the list. I for one am very thankful we have a man of this character and vision at the helm of Razorback athletics. I am not a Frank Broyles hater like many but I think that Jeff Long has taken what Frank started and has upped the ante significantly. Frank put us on the map but it is Jeff long that will lead us to the Promised Land.

Frank had us in the Promised Land of college football, basketball and track for many, many years. We just lost our way for a few decades. Hopefully - we can find our way back.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Dwight_K_Shrute

It's like recruiting rankings once a kid commits to Arkansas.  Jeff Long is higher they just knocked him down a peg because of the state.  If he were AD at Alabama list would go like this.
1.  Jeff Long
2.  his wife
3.  his kids
4.  his barber
5.  his pool guy.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2015, 08:08:04 am

Hopefully from a land where humor and tounge and check remarks don't go unnoticed.

Good reply except not everyone would have recognized your previous post as that.

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 14, 2015, 06:40:46 am
Good reply except not everyone would have recognized your previous post as that.

I mean it was pretty obvious and overtly clear with the slang I was using. I guess some people are too literal.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 07:06:53 am

I mean it was pretty obvious and overtly clear with the slang I was using. I guess some people are too literal.

You must not realize some peopl still use slang................and are literal in their use of it.

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 14, 2015, 07:36:18 am

You must not realize some peopl still use slang................and are literal in their use of it.

Please find me a post that is as off the rails as what I posted and it was someone being serious.

my post was clearly an out of my was exaggeration of posters who are dumb and make comments about him being from the north.

I bet you think Steven Colbert is like he is on his show as well

Sorry you don't do jokes well

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2015, 08:13:08 am

Please find me a post that is as off the rails as what I posted and it was someone being serious.

my post was clearly an out of my was exaggeration of posters who are dumb and make comments about him being from the north.

I bet you think Steven Colbert is like he is on his show as well

Sorry you don't do jokes well

You must be one of those smart a** carpetbaggers.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

rhames

Dwight_K_Shrute

rhames