Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curious, What do southern Arkansas fans think about less games at War Memorial?

Started by WOOPIGMAN, June 16, 2016, 10:46:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2016, 01:58:40 pm
Good point Mike, I was wrong about that. Maybe the best thing might be for him to say nothing about it and let Long handle the WMS situation.
Bingo.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2016, 01:58:40 pm
Good point Mike, I was wrong about that. Maybe the best thing might be for him to say nothing about it and let Long handle the WMS situation.

That might be the first time I ever read that from you. I do agree it's best to let the admins handle it instead of the coaches.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 02:27:26 pm
That might be the first time I ever read that from you. I do agree it's best to let the admins handle it instead of the coaches.
Then you ain't paying attention.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 10, 2016, 02:37:33 pm
Then you ain't paying attention.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just having a little fun at Guv's expense on a hot Sunday afternoon! He's a big boy he can take it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 02:39:16 pm
Just having a little fun at Guv's expense on a hot Sunday afternoon! He's a big boy he can take it.

Hey, being wrong is part of being human. Unfortunately, sometimes I'm TOO human.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2016, 02:43:43 pm
Hey, being wrong is part of being human. Unfortunately, sometimes I'm TOO human.

Heck I'm wrong more than I'm right and if you don't believe me, just ask my wife!

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2016, 10:02:33 am
Yet you find time to post on here. It does put into perspective your ridiculous posts on various topics involving the football team on here. Good luck on your trip over to NAFOOM.

Think NAFOOM banned her back when Ole Miss dumped TCTWF...

Jek Tono Porkins

Playing some or even most games at WMS made perfect sense under the following conditions:
-No HDTV
-Dangerous and long interstate-less trips to Fayetteville
-WMS was superior to RRS in terms of capacity and lighting
-There was a real risk of fracturing the state fan base
-NWA was a small area of hillbilly towns
-Recruiting was not as crazy and regulated as it is now

None of those conditions apply anymore. I think of WMS like Old Yeller. We loved Old Yeller. He brought us our slippers. He protected us from vermin. We fed him cookies. We had great times with Old Yeller. But when Old Yeller shows up at the house old, decrepit, and foaming at the mouth with rabies, you don't try to give Old Yeller one last hug. You shoot him in the head.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Chivas

Grewup in hot springs, went to UofA, then lived in little rock. The loss of southern fans is real. UofA continues to import more and more out of state kids, NWA continues to strengthen its ties to the Midwest/Texas and develop a large upper class. It's a very real possibility of NWA becoming so far culturally removed from the rest of the state that other college teams could poach our fans. It would have to be during down years mind you, but UT, Memphis, LSU could all creep in. Plus some of these Texan students already bring their UT propaganda with them. Not sure if abandoning little rock is as brilliant of a long term plan as people think.

ricepig

Quote from: Chivas on July 11, 2016, 03:50:16 pm
Grewup in hot springs, went to UofA, then lived in little rock. The loss of southern fans is real. UofA continues to import more and more out of state kids, NWA continues to strengthen its ties to the Midwest/Texas and develop a large upper class. It's a very real possibility of NWA becoming so far culturally removed from the rest of the state that other college teams could poach our fans. It would have to be during down years mind you, but UT, Memphis, LSU could all creep in. Plus some of these Texan students already bring their UT propaganda with them. Not sure if abandoning little rock is as brilliant of a long term plan as people think.

So, have you quit being a fan? Do you know of anyone, and if so, did they say why?

DLUXHOG

things change... they always have, and always will....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

I was born in Camden and lived in Camden, ElDorado, Malvern and Jacksonville before going off to college at Fayetteville. The loss of Southern Arkansas fans is not real. What IS real is the total population decline in Southern Arkansas. Sure the UA has more out of state students than they used to but I'd bet so do ALL colleges. MOST colleges have that now.  Heck some even have a lot of students from foreign countries and they used to not have that. Its partly a function of more kids going to college AND a larger population overall across the country and living in a global economy and more people moving around.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 11, 2016, 03:58:30 pm
I was born in Camden and lived in Camden, ElDorado, Malvern and Jacksonville before going off to college at Fayetteville. The loss of Southern Arkansas fans is not real. Sure the UA has more out of state students than they used to but I'd bet so do ALL colleges. MOST colleges have that now.  Heck some even have a lot of students from foreign countries and they used to not have that. Its partly a function of more kids going to college AND a larger population overall across the country and living in a global economy.

And, out of staters pay more, even with the tuition discounts for adjoining states. With the state money basically frozen with no growth, universities are looking at out of state students, and regular tuition hikes to pay for everything.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 11, 2016, 03:58:30 pm
I was born in Camden and lived in Camden, ElDorado, Malvern and Jacksonville before going off to college at Fayetteville. The loss of Southern Arkansas fans is not real. Sure the UA has more out of state students than they used to but I'd bet so do ALL colleges. MOST colleges have that now.  Heck some even have a lot of students from foreign countries and they used to not have that. Its partly a function of more kids going to college AND a larger population overall across the country and living in a global economy and more people moving around.

I huge majority of those students are coming directly from Texas as it has a 9.25 growth (27,469,114 people) in the five years between 2010 and 2015...  (it was #2 in percentage growth of all states - see below)

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2016, 04:01:38 pm
And, out of staters pay more, even with the tuition discounts for adjoining states. With the state money basically frozen with no growth, universities are looking at out of state students, and regular tuition hikes to pay for everything.

If you drew a line across the state from Miller county to Mississippi county ONLY one county south of that line not in the central Arkansas area or touching that line has had a positive population change number since 2010 to 2014. Drew county at 0.6. The fastest growing in the state are Benton, Washington, Faulkner, Saline and Craighead. ONLY 22 counties had a positive population growth. Thank goodness for Central and Northwest Arkansas!

DeltaBoy

I have pushed for more games or keeping the games for years but Central Arkansas rolled the dice called Frank's bluff and it time to move them all to Nam. And let UCA play there.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Swine-as-wine

It used to be close to the same distance for me to either stadium, so distance or the amount of time was never a factor
as to whether I wanted to keep playing a few games a year at WMS. Tradition though is, and I hate it that it's coming down
to pretty much no more games in Little Rock. A poster said earlier in this thread, that if WMS had of upgraded back in the 90's
what's happening never would have occurred, but I don't agree with that at all. Razorback stadium is a better stadium yes as
well it should be, but if WMS had of transformed into a mini Cowboy Stadium of sorts, it still wouldn't have stopped NWS fans
from bitching about having to drive to Little Rock for a home game. Frankly..........now I don't care. NWS folks won. I now
live a half dozen hours or more from both WMS and Reynolds stadium, and I can love the HOGS as much as I ever have sitting
right in front of my TV.

GuvHog

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on July 15, 2016, 03:06:15 am
It used to be close to the same distance for me to either stadium, so distance or the amount of time was never a factor
as to whether I wanted to keep playing a few games a year at WMS. Tradition though is, and I hate it that it's coming down
to pretty much no more games in Little Rock. A poster said earlier in this thread, that if WMS had of upgraded back in the 90's
what's happening never would have occurred, but I don't agree with that at all. Razorback stadium is a better stadium yes as
well it should be, but if WMS had of transformed into a mini Cowboy Stadium of sorts, it still wouldn't have stopped NWS fans
from bitching about having to drive to Little Rock for a home game. Frankly..........now I don't care. NWS folks won. I now
live a half dozen hours or more from both WMS and Reynolds stadium, and I can love the HOGS as much as I ever have sitting
right in front of my TV.

MOST of DWRRS is better, that's true. Some of it still needs some serious work.

Mike Irwin

Coach B and all three of the players were asked about the WMS issue at SEC Media Days.

Bielema said he understands the tradition but stressed that a home game should provide a home field advantage. He said the team practices a lot on the game field because he wants his players familiar with every square foot of the stadium. Because they are in WMS just one time a season it does not provide that familiarity.

Deatrich Wise and Jeremy Sprinkle both said they like playing there and look forward to a change of pace for a home game. Brooks Ellis said playing in LR feels like a road game in front of a home crowd.

All of them said it's their fault that the team has not played well there the last few games. They each promised to change that.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: GuvHog on June 16, 2016, 11:45:34 am
I live 3 miles west of Pine Bluff and moving games to Fayetteville doesn't bother me either. From Pine Bluff it's only about 4 hours to Fayetteville all Interstate Highways so the trip isn't that difficult any more. I don't have a distinct irrational hate for WMS like some on here do, I just think it's time to move on.
I live in LR, grew up in Camden and I feel the same.  No need for them now that it is easier, with the new interstate, to get to Fayetteville.

FATHAWG08

I live in Central Arkansas and have supported the Hogs at both venues. I'm for what's best for the University. If I can't make it to the games I have a great seat in my recliner. No issues here. Woo Pig!!
I love off season Football!!

Piggfoot

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 15, 2016, 08:56:40 am
Coach B and all three of the players were asked about the WMS issue at SEC Media Days.

Bielema said he understands the tradition but stressed that a home game should provide a home field advantage. He said the team practices a lot on the game field because he wants his players familiar with every square foot of the stadium. Because they are in WMS just one time a season it does not provide that familiarity.

Deatrich Wise and Jeremy Sprinkle both said they like playing there and look forward to a change of pace for a home game. Brooks Ellis said playing in LR feels like a road game in front of a home crowd.

All of them said it's their fault that the team has not played well there the last few games. They each promised to change that.
Thanks for reporting the complete story in context. It is nice to get a complete professional report instead of a partial report like some here post in order to support their personal agenda.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

BrazilHogFan

I was a student at the UA during the great stadium debate in 1998-2000 era.  I never understood why anyone ever fought to keep the games in LR.
The Original CiriusPorker

Mike T.

I live in Batesville and have gone to both venues.It's really sad to see but I realize that it's a change for the better.War Memorial has really been let go and the clock issues are an emberrassment.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogz11 on July 21, 2016, 06:37:53 pm
I love that the one game in War Memorial Stadium is Alcorn State. Take a big fat dump on the stadium that refuses to improve its facilities and is holding the program back.

This is a great example of what I meant by the term "irrational hate for WMS".

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2016, 04:01:38 pm
EVERYTHING will change when the progressive movement opens up colleges for the poor.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: GuvHog on July 24, 2016, 04:25:30 pm
This is a great example of what I meant by the term "irrational hate for WMS".

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, rational about forfeiting revenue by playing in a substandard, off campus, venue.

If the fine folks in Arkansas wanted to keep the Hogs playing in WMS they should have ponied up the additional taxes required to keep the stadium up to snuf.

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on July 24, 2016, 04:59:02 pm
There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, rational about forfeiting revenue by playing in a substandard, off campus, venue.

If the fine folks in Arkansas wanted to keep the Hogs playing in WMS they should have ponied up the additional taxes required to keep the stadium up to snuf.

You didn't read my original post where I referred to Irrational hate for WMS. I don't have an irrational hate for WMS but I do agree that it's time to move on and let the past go.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: GuvHog on July 24, 2016, 06:55:02 pm
You didn't read my original post where I referred to Irrational hate for WMS. I don't have an irrational hate for WMS but I do agree that it's time to move on and let the past go.

I didn't say you or anyone else has an irrational hate for WMS. In fact I doubt there are more than a hand full in the entire state.

Nobody "hates" WMS. It ranked among the very best in its day and will always be legendary in the hearts of us older Hog fans.

This nonsense of NWA vs the rest of Arkansas is complete and utter BS...contrived by idiots my age and above that cannot let go of the past. End of story.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Snouty

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 14, 2016, 09:33:50 pm
I have pushed for more games or keeping the games for years but Central Arkansas rolled the dice called Frank's bluff and it time to move them all to Nam. And let UCA play there.

Would that be Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

goodguytex

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 11, 2016, 04:23:46 pm
If you drew a line across the state from Miller county to Mississippi county ONLY one county south of that line not in the central Arkansas area or touching that line has had a positive population change number since 2010 to 2014. Drew county at 0.6. The fastest growing in the state are Benton, Washington, Faulkner, Saline and Craighead. ONLY 22 counties had a positive population growth. Thank goodness for Central and Northwest Arkansas!
Bowie County, which borders Miller on the Texas side, and has Texarkana, Texas, is growing. And there are a very big  number of Hog fans living on the Texas side of the border.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: goodguytex on August 26, 2016, 08:35:41 pm
Bowie County, which borders Miller on the Texas side, and has Texarkana, Texas, is growing. And there are a very big  number of Hog fans living on the Texas side of the border.

Yes but my post and the discussion is more about Arkansas counties and population. Besides did you ever wonder why that Texas county is growing........................

DeltaBoy

I expect it to end for good after this current contract runs out.

Uncle Remus

I live in the Southeast Corner of the state in Dumas, and as someone who has gone to more games at WM than in DWR, I am for them eliminating games at WM.  The last time I went, the field still had the "Waste Management" logo on the field, and the seating is much closer less comfortable than in DWR.  I have no problems driving on to Fayetteville to watch a game, and to tell the truth, it seems like you get so much of a better college environment there on campus.  The apparel stores are close by, stadium is far superior, and the whole experience on the whole cancels out the convenience of only having to drive 90 miles.  For me, it's DWR all the way.