Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#5 Washington recruits- we can too

Started by twistitup, October 13, 2017, 10:50:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

If they can compete nationally we can too

Pacific NW...getting it done

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

East TN HAWG

Amazing what making the playoffs will do for a program. 

jcbville

"If it can be done at Clemson it can be done at Arkansas"---Terry Don Phillips

bkjbearcat

Quote from: East TN HAWG on October 13, 2017, 10:52:01 am
Amazing what making the playoffs will do for a program.

Amazing what hiring a good HC will do for a program.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

ricepig

Yep, they are sitting in our normal position with the #25 class.

Piggfoot

You've got it!! All we have to do is to move Fayetteville to Washington.
Brilliant!!
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Last year and this current class are the only times the have finished above us in the 247 Team Rankings lately. If you are implying that Petersen is a better coach, I doubt you'll fine too many to disagree.

Idahog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 13, 2017, 10:57:02 am
You've got it!! All we have to do is to move Fayetteville to Washington.
Brilliant!!

I've lived in both places, both are extremely beautiful.  Unless you were trying to make a poor little ole arkansas crack?  Arkansas has what it needs to compete in modern times, as proven by Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

jst01

Well, I bet none of their players nor fans are having any fun...if you aren't beating SEC teams it probably doesn't feel as good being ranked that high [/s]

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 10:56:23 am
Yep, they are sitting in our normal position with the #25 class.

But actually doing something with it...great job of coaching / recruiting / player development / maintaining program identity

Knot2brite

Seattle vs Fayetteville to teenage athletes....yeah I don't see the similarities
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

twistitup

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 13, 2017, 11:11:04 am
Seattle vs Fayetteville to teenage athletes....yeah I don't see the similarities

We are talking about the proximity to fertile recruiting grounds - we are in the middle of it.

Seattle - not so much....being close to home usually means something~

In addition, football players probably have their eye on the NFL and are not all that concerned w the natural beauty, quality of pot and liberal attitudes....otherwise WA would recruit #1 instead of Bama.

Bama doesn't recruit #1 because it's beautiful in Alabama

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 11:02:26 am
But actually doing something with it...great job of coaching / recruiting / player development / maintaining program identity

And obviously better than 123 other FBS programs, too.

phadedhawg

Yep, perdy much.  I've lived in Seattle for 17 or so years, it's a great city for young people.  I always enjoyed my time in Fayetteville too but it's not the same ballpark.

twistitup

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 13, 2017, 11:16:05 am
Yep, perdy much.  I've lived in Seattle for 17 or so years, it's a great city for young people.  I always enjoyed my time in Fayetteville too but it's not the same ballpark.

Seattle is great, I agree.

Why doesn't it attract a recruiting class in the top 5?

Knot2brite

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 11:14:27 am
We are talking about the proximity to fertile recruiting grounds - we are in the middle of it.

In addition, football players probably have their eye on the NFL and are not all that concerned w the natural beauty, quality of pot and liberal attitudes....otherwise WA would recruit #1 instead of Bama.

Seattle draws them to WA because it is a metropolitan area with lots of stuff to do and lots of opportunities to make connections and they have a NFL team right there ....Fayetteville has beautiful scenery and Walmart ....the reason Washington is drawing is the advantages that they have and the disadvantages that Fayetteville has...we may be in the middle of fertile grounds but the disadvantages are reality...that doesn't mean you can't get recruits to come here but it will take a lot of work ...and winning which is why Bama doesn't have to recruit...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

twistitup

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 13, 2017, 11:19:46 am
Seattle draws them to WA because it is a metropolitan area with lots of stuff to do and lots of opportunities to make connections and they have a NFL team right there ....Fayetteville has beautiful scenery and Walmart ....the reason Washington is drawing is the advantages that they have and the disadvantages that Fayetteville has...we may be in the middle of fertile grounds but the disadvantages are reality...that doesn't mean you can't get recruits to come here but it will take a lot of work ...and winning which is why Bama doesn't have to recruit...

Why is Wash recruiting 25th instead of top 5? I agree is an awesome place - but they are doing more with less....they are not getting the best athletes

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 11:02:26 am

Only PAC 12 program who recruits on an elite level consistently is SC. It showed in their win over Washington last season.  Their situation in the PAC is very different from ours. This has been explained so many times.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 11:21:09 am

Why is Wash recruiting 25th instead of top 5? I agree is an awesome place - but they are doing more with less....they are not getting the best athletes

Crap OOC schedule and their recruiting is better than most of their division.  They don't have less than most of the teams they are playing.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

twistitup

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 13, 2017, 11:22:58 am
Only PAC 12 program who recruits on an elite level consistently is SC. It showed in their win over Washington last season.  Their situation in the PAC is very different from ours. This has been explained so many times.

Here we go again.....poor lil Arkie syndrome

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 11:24:36 am

Nope, go hire Petersen for us.

311Hog

the reason is something that cant be proven.  What would happen to Washington if they had to play in the SEC west.

It is daunting. 

Reservoir Hogs

They have more talent (ie recruit better) than most the teams in their division.

END OF STORY

And Petersen is very good coach

hoglady

And don't forget Mike Leach's Washington St team is #8 and #9 in the polls - also standing 6-0.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Redhogs

Just stop.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2017, 11:39:19 am
the reason is something that cant be proven.  What would happen to Washington if they had to play in the SEC west.

It is daunting.
Maybe 2 years ago...now, not so much.  Overall, the SEC is no better than the SEC, in fact, CASE COULD BE MADE THEY ARE BETTER.

Redhogs

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 11:24:36 am
Yea...so sick of this...that's why we are where we are.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

311Hog

Quote from: Redhogs on October 13, 2017, 12:22:18 pm
Maybe 2 years ago...now, not so much.  Overall, the SEC is no better than the SEC, in fact, CASE COULD BE MADE THEY ARE BETTER.

i dont agree with this the SEC is still way more physically demanding then any other conference. 

Sure other teams maybe "better" especially in a 1 game winner take all scenario. My point is there are legit teams in other conferences that pose virtually no threat to the "top teams" not physically, not in recruiting nothing.  So they bop along play a few big time show downs and call it a day.

Even the worst SEC teams will make you feel it the next day.

Btw Peterson is a real good coach, and West coast football is different.  U Dub has tradition. i mean outside of USC who else is there? Stanford

twistitup

Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2017, 12:27:18 pm
i dont agree with this the SEC is still way more physically demanding then any other conference. 

Sure other teams maybe "better" especially in a 1 game winner take all scenario. My point is there are legit teams in other conferences that pose virtually no threat to the "top teams" not physically, not in recruiting nothing.  So they bop along play a few big time show downs and call it a day.

Btw Peterson is a real good coach, and West coast football is different.  U Dub has tradition. i mean outside of USC who else is there? Stanford

The polls must not take all of that into consideration.....Wash, Wash St are both looked at with respect

Pac has more teams in the top 25 than the SEC

Atlhogfan1

311Hog

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 12:29:17 pm
The polls must not take all of that into consideration.....Wash, Wash St are both looked at with respect

Oh polls that are not the play off polls are important now?

This is week 6 i will look at the polls in week 12.  The depth of talent and the veracity of the SEC/South in football is unmatched there is no argument to this. West coast especially outside of USC is there for the taking. Other places there is a power structure and upsetting that apple cart is nye impossible.

Redhogs

Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2017, 12:27:18 pm

Other than AL. I'm not seeing all this physicallity. You do know they say the same about us right? Other than AL. we got nothin. Point is coaching is everything.

311Hog

Quote from: Redhogs on October 13, 2017, 12:34:11 pm
Other than AL. I'm not seeing all this physicallity. You do know they say the same about us right? Other than AL. we got nothin. Point is coaching is everything.

Lol you must not be watching Auburn, Florida, MSU, LSU, Georgia

Point is Jimmies and Joes are just as important as coaching.  There is something to be said for having to play physical teams not 7 on 7 teams where the lines barely touch face masks before the ball is out of the QB's hands.

Season is early lets see who is standing at the end.

ricepig

Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2017, 12:38:10 pm

Point is Jimmies and Joes are just as important as coaching.  There is something to be said for having to play physical teams not 7 on 7 teams where the lines barely touch face masks before the ball is out of the QB's hands.

I watched Oregon and Wash U last week, d-line looked to weigh about 260-275 maximum. That works great for their systems, you need bigger in the SEC.

311Hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 12:43:41 pm
I watched Oregon and Wash U last week, d-line looked to weigh about 260-275 maximum. That works great for their systems, you need bigger in the SEC.

Thank you this is all i am saying.  It is HARDER physically in the SEC because everyone doesn't run a pass happy version of the spread like the PAC 12.

Doesn't mean the PAC 12 teams don't win and aren't good i am saying it is harder to dig out of that kind of beat down once the ball starts rolling.

Redhogs

Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2017, 12:38:10 pm

Point is Jimmies and Joes are just as important as coaching.....well dah...but don't the coaching staffs do the recruiting, elvaluations, and development. . Florida, MSU, LSU are average teams no matter which p5 conference they were to play in...if you want to discuss which style of play is the way to win, then that's a different discussion.

MAL3

I've been to both in the last two weeks. Comparing Fayetteville to Seattle is like comparing DeQueen to Fayetteville. No where close

311Hog

Quote from: Redhogs on October 13, 2017, 12:51:50 pm
Point is Jimmies and Joes are just as important as coaching.....well dah...but don't the coaching staffs do the recruiting, elvaluations, and development. . Florida, MSU, LSU are average teams no matter which p5 conference they were to play in...if you want to discuss which style of play is the way to win, then that's a different discussion.

I am not discussing that i am saying a certain style of play is HARDER on the player over a full season than another.

It is physically more demanding IMHO to get through a season in the SEC than the PAC 12 due in large part to alot of factors.

This is the same argument about cupcake schedules then show up for your 1 shot at glory, sometimes it works, but i wouldn't put my money on that if you plucked a team up and dropped then into a SEC West schedule.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: jcbville on October 13, 2017, 10:55:16 am
"If it can be done at Clemson it can be done at Arkansas"---Terry Don Phillips

Have you been to Clemson?   It is, by astronomical proportions, far more remote than Fayetteville.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

AirWarren

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 11:14:27 am

The majority of their athletes come california. A state that can compete with the states of Florida, Texas, And Georgia for top notch talent.

And Alabama is actually a pretty state. Similar topography as Arkansas some places. Farmland. It has the gulf and beaches.   And up north, lies the base of the Appalachians. Minus the beach, not much different in the states. Aside from better football All levels.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on October 13, 2017, 01:12:11 pm
The majority of their athletes come california. A state that can compete with the states of Florida, Texas, And Georgia for top notch talent.

Yeah, they pretty much get the guys who don't go to US and UCLA. The rest of the Pac 12 glean over the leftovers, or at least those who aren't national recruits. Lots of talent in California.

AirWarren

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 13, 2017, 01:07:57 pm
Have you been to Clemson?   It is, by astronomical proportions, far more remote than Fayetteville.....

Clemson is 3 hours to Atlanta. One of the hottest blue chip hot beds in the south. And within 5 hours of big time Georgia high school programs.

Clemson is 5 hours to Birmingham, Al. Also home to stud high school athletes.

Clemson is 8 hours from Virginia Beach area. Also hot bed talent area.

And their state of South Carolina produces far better athletes than us.

Fayetteville is close to Branson. Harrison. Springfield. Tulsa. Kansas.

Can't compare the two. Huge advantages for Clemson.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 01:16:42 pm
Yeah, they pretty much get the guys who don't go to US and UCLA. The rest of the Pac 12 glean over the leftovers, or at least those who aren't national recruits. Lots of talent in California.

I would love to have that "leftover" talent at Arkansas ha.

DLUXHOG

October 13, 2017, 01:22:17 pm #44 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:35:09 pm by DLUXHOG
Quote from: AP85 on October 13, 2017, 01:12:11 pm

And Alabama is actually a pretty state. Similar topography as Arkansas some places. Farmland. It has the gulf and beaches.   And up north, lies the base of the Appalachians. Minus the beach, not much different in the states. Aside from better football All levels.

it doesn't hurt, that by ALYP (astronomical light year proportions) that California has the most population of any state......  (see below for top 10)

1  California 39,250,017  (39 million)
2  Texas 27,862,596 (27 million)
4  Florida 20,612,439 
3  New York 19,745,289
5  Illinois 12,801,539
6  Pennsylvania 12,784,227
7  Ohio 11,646,273 11,536,725 
8 Georgia 10,310,371 9,688,681
9  North Carolina 10,146,788
10 Michigan 9,928,300

how SEC States compare to top 10
2  Texas 27,862,596 (27 million)
4  Florida 20,612,439 
16 Tennessee 6,705,339
18 Missouri 6,123,362
23 South Carolina 5,030,118
24 Alabama 4,884,115
25 Louisiana 4,714,192
26 Kentucky 4,450,042
32 Arkansas 3,000,942 (3 million)
34 Mississippi 2,990,113
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Tejano Jawg

This argument is too extreme. If the hip metropolitan city is the most important thing, how do you account for historically great programs in Norman OK (I've been there, nothing special), South Bend (I've been there, nothing special, but campus is pretty), Lincoln, Tuscaloosa (seriously?), Auburn, or Clemson (never been there, but hardly big-city)?

As for the appeal of Los Angeles, Miami, Seattle, Atlanta...I get it. But here's my question there. What college athlete has the $$ to operate in high-dollar places like that? So how important ARE those cities to the schools in them? In my 4 years in Fayetteville, I always knew who was having cheap beer/half-price beer nights. Besides, the high-end clubs and cocktail bars didn't exist then anyway. (Even now, when I'm at a nice mixology joint in Dallas, and see young 20-somethings, I wonder how they're paying for 15-dollar a pop cocktails.)

Back to football/recruiting...this has always been an interesting topic for years. I've never understood the idea that "you can't recruit kids to Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas." Again, not when Norman, Oklahoma (etc) exists. I doubt any Sooner fan says "we just can't recruit in a place like this."

Fayetteville isn't the problem. It's got enough to sell, outside of being near a million+ population city. Our program and our coaching staff has to do the heavy lifting. And that has to be a tougher job NOW than at any time in recent memory.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HiggiePiggy

When looking at recruiting of other schools in different conferences. You need to look at where they are in their own conference as far as recruiting goes. Because at 25 and another program in a different conference at 25 can be 2 totally different scenarios.  Let's say we are ranked 25, but we have 8 or 9 programs in the SEC that are above us and 4 that are in our own division.  Let's say Oklahoma State is ranked 25. They have 2 to 4 teams ahead in their conference.  So yes they recruit on par with us, but they play in a conference where they are recruiting above half of the rest of their conference. Arkansas doesn't even out recruit 4 teams sometimes 5 in its own division.  Conference matters and coaching matters. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

MAL3

A lot of that 39 million though play fooooootball  :)

smb

Doing more with less is Arkansas only option. It would have to be a HC with a creative mind on both sides of the ball.
GeorgiaHOG

MAL3

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 13, 2017, 01:25:01 pm
This argument is too extreme. If the hip metropolitan city is the most important thing, how do you account for historically great programs in Norman OK (I've been there, nothing special), South Bend (I've been there, nothing special, but campus is pretty), Lincoln, Tuscaloosa (seriously?), Auburn, or Clemson (never been there, but hardly big-city)?

As for the appeal of Los Angeles, Miami, Seattle, Atlanta...I get it. But here's my question there. What college athlete has the $$ to operate in high-dollar places like that? So how important ARE those cities to the schools in them? In my 4 years in Fayetteville, I always knew who was having cheap beer/half-price beer nights. Besides, the high-end clubs and cocktail bars didn't exist then anyway. (Even now, when I'm at a nice mixology joint in Dallas, and see young 20-somethings, I wonder how they're paying for 15-dollar a pop cocktails.)

Back to football/recruiting...this has always been an interesting topic for years. I've never understood the idea that "you can't recruit kids to Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas." Again, not when Norman, Oklahoma (etc) exists. I doubt any Sooner fan says "we just can't recruit in a place like this."

Fayetteville isn't the problem. It's got enough to sell, outside of being near a million+ population city. Our program and our coaching staff has to do the heavy lifting. And that has to be a tougher job NOW than at any time in recent memory.

Louisville does......or did!