Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All The Stars are Aligned

Started by Porked Tongue, May 09, 2016, 05:17:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

Moses back.
JUCO studs.

Mike has a real shot next year of returning us to measurable success.

In a way, the pressure is now on him even more.  He'll have a full squad with moveable parts.

batmanfan

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 09, 2016, 05:17:24 pm
Moses back.
JUCO studs.

In a way, the pressure is now on him even more.  He'll have a full squad with moveable parts.

Any chance of adding anyone else to the roster with the open spot?
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Porked Tongue

Yes.

Now lets see if everyone comes to campus.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Moses is back!! 16 points and 10 boards are coming back!!!

The fans that hate Mike Anderson could be having a rough season.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 09, 2016, 05:24:53 pm
Moses is back!! 16 points and 10 boards are coming back!!!

The fans that hate Mike Anderson could be having a rough season.

Just put all flavors on clearance at Walmart.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 09, 2016, 05:17:24 pm
Moses back.
JUCO studs.

It is exciting! We have our first real roster in decades!

No more excuses is right. If it doesn't happen now it never will. Go Hogs!

root_hawg

I will take a wait and see, never been real high on JUCos

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: root_hawg on May 09, 2016, 08:46:54 pm

Barford will ball from year one.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 09, 2016, 08:58:06 pm
I completely think this is true.  I have faith in his ability to step in and contribute big time.

labb

Don't over look Macon. He is the real deal.

Porked Tongue

My faith isn't as strong there.

sickboy

King Kong

3kgthog

Betting on JUCOs to match their stats gained against average competition is a sure fire loser.

Nipsey Mussle

Nothing wrong with that approach. However, while the other jucos are a crapshoot, Barford will be solid, at the very least. We'll have to wait and see if he can be a star, but he's too good to not have quality impact this coming season.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 09, 2016, 11:58:50 pm
Betting on JUCOs to match their stats gained against average competition is a sure fire loser.
And remind me who said they were going to match their stats?

I've seen someone say not to sleep on Macon and have seen others say Barford will be a good player. Neither of those sentiments suggest they will matching their stats.

Pork Twain

I am officially excited about next year.  Also very much apprehensive, as I think I have let myself become excited about next year for the last 4.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jjdlc

The primary question with this team is how quickly Mike can get them to gel.  Lots of new faces this year.  It should be a pretty good year.

HF#1

I'll wait and see. I'm not as optimistic.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkRinds

I heard on the radio this morning that both Barford and Macon have expressed that they want to be one and done here and move on to the NBA.  That's not a great sign IMO, that they already have their sights set past Arkansas.  One year doesn't do all that much for us in terms of stability. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 10, 2016, 08:10:49 am
I heard on the radio this morning that both Barford and Macon have expressed that they want to be one and done here and move on to the NBA.  That's not a great sign IMO, that they already have their sights set past Arkansas.  One year doesn't do all that much for us in terms of stability.

Well at least they're up front about it and we can start recruiting their replacements.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 09, 2016, 08:58:06 pm

I have no doubt Barford will be one of our best from day one. Macon isn't as good as some hype him up to be (starting over Hannahs), but I think he'll be a solid guard off the bench. I could see him pushing double digit ppg by the end of the season. Cook is the one that has the biggest chance of not producing in year one. After watching full game film on him, I don't see a star level player, not on Barford's level anyway. Probably more of a 6pt 4reb kind of guy.

TrueBlue

Great news.

Hope for the best but, no excuses now.

So with this news, what would everyone consider as a "successful" year next year?

jry04

Any radio show you were listening to this morning is going to have very little credible information, so I wouldn't worry about it. Barford I could see, but Macon I am not so sure. None of the morning shows have very credible sources, though. Bertaccini is probably the worst in Arkansas. So bad that he doesn't even get credentials to Arkansas events. I listen to Derek Ruscin's show, and it isn't much better but at least there are 3 of them on there to listen to  instead of just Josh with lousy guests. Ruscin and crew just discuss among themselves with very little credible information, just opinions.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 10, 2016, 08:35:31 am
Great news.

Hope for the best but, no excuses now.

So with this news, what would everyone consider as a "successful" year next year?

Good: Top 4 conference finish, solid NCAA bid, win a game, disaster-free off-season.

Great: Top 2-3 conference finish, Sweet 16, beat UK, Florida and Texas at some point during the season.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 08:42:00 am
Any radio show you were listening to this morning is going to have very little credible information, so I wouldn't worry about it. Barford I could see, but Macon I am not so sure. None of the morning shows have very credible sources, though. Bertaccini is probably the worst in Arkansas. So bad that he doesn't even get credentials to Arkansas events. I listen to Derek Ruscin's show, and it isn't much better but at least there are 3 of them on there to listen to  instead of just Josh with lousy guests. Ruscin and crew just discuss among themselves with very little credible information, just opinions.

It was the Morning Rush, but the guest was Nick Mason.  I'm not really a Mason fan, but he said that was a direct quote from his interview with one of the two from his radio show.  Should be easy to confirm, so I doubt he was lying.

jry04

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 10, 2016, 08:44:39 am
It was the Morning Rush, but the guest was Nick Mason.  I'm not really a Mason fan, but he said that was a direct quote from his interview with one of the two from his radio show.  Should be easy to confirm, so I doubt he was lying.
Yeah, I could see Nick knowing because he tries to be friends with all the players and recruits. However, I could also see it just be them saying that is what they hope to do because it would mean they are good enough to go to the NBA. Hopefully it isn't a Kirkland situation where they are leaving no matter what as soon as they can.

I don't have a problem with any of them saying it, because ultimately I want them to be as good as they can be. If they are both good enough to be 1 and done, then that means we are probably a top 15 team. Hard to imagine us having 3 NBA ready players on our roster, plus Hannahs by the end of the year and not be a single digit seed primed for a tournament run.

FraggleHog

Sonny Weems says Hi
Calling the Hogs from DFW

PorkRinds

Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 08:51:14 am
Yeah, I could see Nick knowing because he tries to be friends with all the players and recruits. However, I could also see it just be them saying that is what they hope to do because it would mean they are good enough to go to the NBA. Hopefully it isn't a Kirkland situation where they are leaving no matter what as soon as they can.

I don't have a problem with any of them saying it, because ultimately I want them to be as good as they can be. If they are both good enough to be 1 and done, then that means we are probably a top 15 team. Hard to imagine us having 3 NBA ready players on our roster, plus Hannahs by the end of the year and not be a single digit seed primed for a tournament run.
I would agree with all of that. 

HoopS

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 10, 2016, 08:33:03 am
I have no doubt Barford will be one of our best from day one. Macon isn't as good as some hype him up to be (starting over Hannahs), but I think he'll be a solid guard off the bench. I could see him pushing double digit ppg by the end of the season. Cook is the one that has the biggest chance of not producing in year one. After watching full game film on him, I don't see a star level player, not on Barford's level anyway. Probably more of a 6pt 4reb kind of guy.
saying he may start rather than Hannahs doesn't necessarily mean that anyone thinks he's way better or even better than him. You know likes to rotate a full unit in and then he will mix and match as we go. But I would say Macon is a bit more of an unknown for some right now. Seems like he's a compete guard though and should be able to help. But I also agree that to write Hannahs just completely out of the lineup after seeing him shoot it last season is a big assumption.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 10, 2016, 08:44:39 am

Also found it interesting he said he thought Moses' production would be down this year because those two guards are going to shoot a lot more than Bell and Durham did last year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on May 10, 2016, 10:10:01 am
Also found it interesting he said he thought Moses' production would be down this year because those two guards are going to shoot a lot more than Bell and Durham did last year.
I personally think if Moses works on his game and improves like we expect, his production will be the same or better, but with more efficiency. Think about how many points Moses left on the table by missing FTs, missing shots around the bucket, or not be able to finish on his low post moves. He will still get opportunities on offensive rebounds and fast break buckets because of his motor. If he can improve his FT%, then he can score as many or more points on less shot attempts. He may get 3-4 less shots per game due to the new guards, but if he is an improved player he may make more shots or FTs with the attempts he does get.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 10:13:49 am
I personally think if Moses works on his game and improves like we expect, his production will be the same or better, but with more efficiency. Think about how many points Moses left on the table by missing FTs, missing shots around the bucket, or not be able to finish on his low post moves. He will still get opportunities on offensive rebounds and fast break buckets because of his motor. If he can improve his FT%, then he can score as many or more points on less shot attempts. He may get 3-4 less shots per game due to the new guards, but if he is an improved player he may make more shots or FTs with the attempts he does get.

I agree with you on that.  If he just cleans up the missed buckets down low he could increase his production.  He gave away too many points last year by missing easy put backs or shots too close to miss.  I never felt like we could depend on him for an easy two points down low, it was always a crap shoot.  If he cleans that up, his production could improve IMO.

azhog10

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 10, 2016, 10:46:38 am
I agree with you on that.  If he just cleans up the missed buckets down low he could increase his production.  He gave away too many points last year by missing easy put backs or shots too close to miss.  I never felt like we could depend on him for an easy two points down low, it was always a crap shoot.  If he cleans that up, his production could improve IMO.
It's hard to think a guy can shoot better than 55% from the field, but I really think MK could be somewhere close to 60% on the year if he finishes the easy ones. There were over 20 guys in NCAA D1 that shot over 60%. So it's definitely doable and if he does that he won't need as many shots this next year to have the same production he had this last season, and could even see better numbers with less shots.

poloprince

Don't believe Nick Mason is all I'll say
$PoLoPrInCe$

FraggleHog

If they both have the production this season to justify being "one and dones" then that would mean the Ball Hogs have a great season along with Moses' assumed production.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

PorkRinds

Quote from: poloprince on May 10, 2016, 10:54:20 am
Don't believe Nick Mason is all I'll say

Again, he said it was a quote from his radio show.  I don't listen to his show, but I think it could be easily verified.  Doesn't seem like he'd say that if it wasn't actually said on his show at some point.

rude1

I am cautiously optimistic. I understand when you are bringing in jucos not to supplement a team but to produce enough to carry it over the top, it can go either way, they turn out great meshing immediately with returners to make a good team, or they struggle with the D1- P5 adjustment and the team struggles as guys try to figure out their roles early. Hopefully the light comes on early and this produces a solid NCAA tourney team!!!

The Hogfather

They have to actually perform, though.  Of course, they could pull a Fortson/BJ Young....

poloprince

I'm expecting at least 20 ppg 3 Rebs 3 assists from Dusty. It's his time to shine.
$PoLoPrInCe$

lefty08

Didn't this board lose its mind over Malik monk?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The_Iceman

lefty08

Exactly, but 1 year doesn't do much for our stability
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on May 10, 2016, 03:44:36 pm
Exactly, but 1 year doesn't do much for our stability

Some exceptions exist.  F stability if a player like Monk is on board.  And why worry about stability with this staff?  Turnover looks like the m.o. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lefty08

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 10, 2016, 03:46:05 pm
Some exceptions exist.  F stability if a player like Monk is on board.  And why worry about stability with this staff?  Turnover looks like the m.o.

It's funny how the rhetoric changes when the same situation exists, one with getting the players and one with not getting the player

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on May 10, 2016, 04:38:31 pm
It's funny how the rhetoric changes when the same situation exists, one with getting the players and one with not getting the player

Monk isn't the same. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lefty08

ShadowHawg

If they were one and done material here as jucos, why bother with coming at all?

They are eligible for the draft right now.

???

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on May 10, 2016, 10:10:01 am

More brilliance from Mason. Pretty sure that Bell shot quite a bit.

With Bell, Whitt, and Durham gone, there are 24 shots per game that left with them. There were only 3 guys on the team attempting more than 10 shots per game. One is gone. If TWO of the new guys average over 10 attempts per game it still won't take anything away from Kingsley.

Kingsley's attempts will not shrink as a result of the new guys. What will happen is that the quality of his attempts will rise and he will be more efficient if these guys are able to do what they are advertised to do.

Nipsey Mussle

I want to be CEO of my company next year. That doesn't mean my position is in jeopardy, it means I have a goal. I'm not sure about Barford, but I highly doubt Macon is one and done.