Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fomer Hogs getting some love

Started by snoot hoggy hog, May 07, 2016, 01:50:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

The team was full of these characters, too. There was Carlos Rogers, Oliver Miller—people forget because of the weight thing, but the Big O could play—and Alvin Robertson. Alvin Robertson was the scariest player I ever played against. He would beat the darn out of anybody. If you told me to put together a team of all the old-timers, it would be Alvin Robertson and Sidney Moncrief—just tough dudes. -John Salley

jackflash

when Oliver Miller was in shape best center I have seen play for Arkansas

LRrazorback

Don't remember where Carlos was from but played at UALR under Jim Platt, I think. Was a long lean 6'10" guy that could run like a deer

Kenny Buzzhog

Quote from: jackflash on May 07, 2016, 09:18:41 am
when Oliver Miller was in shape best center I have seen play for Arkansas
Yeah he probably cost us another Elite 8 or final 4 appearance because of his weight. I dont remember but wasnt that the year we lost to Memphis in the tourney? I think even Orville Henry even commented about that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: LRrazorback on May 07, 2016, 09:22:16 am
Don't remember where Carlos was from but played at UALR under Jim Platt, I think. Was a long lean 6'10" guy that could run like a deer

Carlos is from Detroit. Finished his college career at Tennessee State.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Kenny Buzzhog on May 07, 2016, 09:51:02 am
Yeah he probably cost us another Elite 8 or final 4 appearance because of his weight. I dont remember but wasnt that the year we lost to Memphis in the tourney? I think even Orville Henry even commented about that.

We lost to Kansas in the Elite 8 in 1991, then to Memphis in 1992 in the second round.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on May 07, 2016, 11:44:28 am
We lost to Kansas in the Elite 8 in 1991, then to Memphis in 1992 in the second round.

In 1991 against Kansas Big O had a pulled groin and was around 75% effective.  1992 he was way overweight. That with Day's suspension hurt that team.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on May 07, 2016, 06:50:50 pm
In 1991 against Kansas Big O had a pulled groin and was around 75% effective.  1992 he was way overweight. That with Day's suspension hurt that team.

Big O also played with a stress fracture in his foot his senior year. We have some of the worst fans ever. He had a weight issue that year because he couldn't do the conditioning necessary to keep it down AND play with his injury. It was one or the other. If he had opted to have the foot operated on, he wouldn't have played much at all.

But please continue to insinuate he was lazy if that makes you happier. :puke:

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 08, 2016, 06:00:49 am
Big O also played with a stress fracture in his foot his senior year. We have some of the worst fans ever. He had a weight issue that year because he couldn't do the conditioning necessary to keep it down AND play with his injury. It was one or the other. If he had opted to have the foot operated on, he wouldn't have played much at all.

But please continue to insinuate he was lazy if that makes you happier. :puke:

Where did I say he was lazy?  All I said was he was way overweight. 

Hogimus Prime

Big O was the backbone of those teams. As he went so did that team. He didn't really need to score a lot of points or grab a bunch of rebounds to be effective. His shotblocking and passing were huge assets to those Razorback teams. I remember Coach Tark saying Big O was the key to the 90-91 team.

phadedhawg

He always stretched the field when he was inbounding the basketball. 

Dropkick

Big O is one of my all time faves. Great hands and court vision.

Biggus Piggus

Big O had a foot problem that dragged him down at the end of his senior season. Was it related to his weight, or did the foot problem lead him to gain weight? Don't know. Anyway, I wish he had been healthy. That would have been a great team in March, if he had.
[CENSORED]!