Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

coach Anderson move to do anything with his staff

Started by nwahogfan1, April 16, 2016, 10:06:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Is positive to me because I thought he was too stubborn.  I am not sure this will help in recruiting or help in the win departmen but at least a change,  I wonder if this change will have any affect on this years recruiting class?  We need at least one big in this ckass. I hope so because righr now I am not hearing anything. 

I wonder how hard of a worker is Scottie?  How is his salesmanship? His much experience  has he got of developing players.

We will see.  I hope it is positive.

Hawg Red

I wouldn't rule out his being stubborn. Could have been a pressured/forced change.

I don't know that to be case, but it happens.

mhuff

I liked Zimmerman. I had been working with him on some players. I really hope that he has something planned that will enhance his own career. We don't know the details of his leaving, but we all know that we need better recruiting. I was not a fan of MA not putting the program above loyalty to his staff. The PROGRAM has to come first. That might mean a player or coach having to leave. I look at this as a positive for MA. I had bailed on MA when we didn't get Monk. I felt like MA couldn't get the best players from his own state much less other states; therefore, we needed a change. Then, there's the difference in coaching philosophies. Regardless, this year's recruiting class is winning me back over. We still need some important additions to this year's class. Despite what some may feel on here. I think Kingsley is gone if he is taken in the second round. His outlook might be that he could not improve himself to first round status ,so he might as well go this year. Second round is second round.

If MA gets some more key players, this could be a team I could get behind. Still, I have to see a better job of coaching defense. Perhaps he should turn the reins over to someone who can coach defense. I imagine that Nolan coached the defense to his desires. MA "ain't Nolan ,and he is not getting the job done.

I am encouraged though with what I am seeing. I was in shut down mode. Tough position for a man who loves the Razorbacks and has been a fan for fifty years. I just won't watch bad basketball though.

JIHawg

downsouthhawg72

Would you all be in favor of bringing Corliss in to replace TJ ?
DownSouthHawg

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on April 16, 2016, 11:00:13 am

Sure. Corliss has NBA experience as both a player and coach. He's got some head coaching experience. He tried to run a similar style to what Nolan/Coach A ran when he was a college head coach. He'd be a proven coach/recruiter for better post players, something this staff/style has struggled with more often than not.

Though I'd be surprised to see Corliss end back up in college simply as an assistant any time soon.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Scott7703

Would almost have to be an upgrade.

FineAsSwine

Mayberry working with the point guards and Thurman working with the shooters! No shooter more clutch than Thurman among former Hogs. I welcome any and all of his input in that area of the coaching and development of our players.
Hogs up! Covid down!

BigSexyHog

Just cause they were a good player doesn't mean they will become good coaches.  But guess we will all know if this move is a good one or not in a year or 2.  Welcome to the staff Scotty
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

We have the exact same people, just in slightly different roles. I don't see much difference.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Karma on April 16, 2016, 01:14:14 pm
We have the exact same people, just in slightly different roles. I don't see much difference.

Hey look, I'm moving this deckchair...
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogwood

Quote from: mhuff on April 16, 2016, 10:33:24 am
I liked Zimmerman. I had been working with him on some players. I really hope that he has something planned that will enhance his own career. We don't know the details of his leaving, but we all know that we need better recruiting. I was not a fan of MA not putting the program above loyalty to his staff. The PROGRAM has to come first. That might mean a player or coach having to leave. I look at this as a positive for MA. I had bailed on MA when we didn't get Monk. I felt like MA couldn't get the best players from his own state much less other states; therefore, we needed a change. Then, there's the difference in coaching philosophies. Regardless, this year's recruiting class is winning me back over. We still need some important additions to this year's class. Despite what some may feel on here. I think Kingsley is gone if he is taken in the second round. His outlook might be that he could not improve himself to first round status ,so he might as well go this year. Second round is second round.

If MA gets some more key players, this could be a team I could get behind. Still, I have to see a better job of coaching defense. Perhaps he should turn the reins over to someone who can coach defense. I imagine that Nolan coached the defense to his desires. MA "ain't Nolan ,and he is not getting the job done.

I am encouraged though with what I am seeing. I was in shut down mode. Tough position for a man who loves the Razorbacks and has been a fan for fifty years. I just won't watch bad basketball though.

I thought Zimmerman was just being reassigned within the program?

Sivad

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 16, 2016, 01:16:36 pm

Hey look, I'm moving this deckchair...
And then I'm going to change the dinner menu on the Hindenburg.

BWS

Corliss's tenure at UCA was horrible. He was 26-62 in three years and was a lazy recruiter. When he left, the team had a combined GPA of 1.8. The new UCA coach released all but one of the returning players from scholarship. I'm not sure it'll be much of an upgrade to replace TJ with Corliss. Some coaches are meant for the pros and some coaches are meant for college.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 16, 2016, 10:06:06 am
I wonder how hard of a worker is Scottie?  How is his salesmanship? His much experience  has he got of developing players.
Doesn't matter. He has a connection to 1994.
Glad Anderson scooped him up off the radio broadcasts before another p5 team did.

Dr. Starcs

Do what you want, but I will NOT bash Scotty Thurman.

HogBreath

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 16, 2016, 05:04:47 pm
Do what you want, but I will NOT bash Scotty Thurman.
Exactly, not gonna bash Scotty, or your avatar either, for that matter.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

King Kong

April 16, 2016, 06:18:44 pm #18 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:47:21 pm by King Kong

Yeah, but Corliss ain't coming for an asst. coach job. At the very least it have to be for the Associate HC position. Unless for some reason he is out of a job NBA job. Which i think is unlikely

Hawg Red

Quote from: BWS on April 16, 2016, 02:53:23 pm
Corliss's tenure at UCA was horrible. He was 26-62 in three years and was a lazy recruiter. When he left, the team had a combined GPA of 1.8. The new UCA coach released all but one of the returning players from scholarship. I'm not sure it'll be much of an upgrade to replace TJ with Corliss. Some coaches are meant for the pros and some coaches are meant for college.

No question. And Corliss knows this now. I would be shocked to see him coach college basketball again.

yraciv

hogsanity

If the best move you can figure out to make is to hire a guy who has been out of the spot light for 20+ years, has no coaching experience, and last played competitively before any of the players he is recruiting were even born, well, that about sums up how bad your program has gotten.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 18, 2016, 07:08:39 pm
I can't say that Williamson's track record at UCA supports this. 

He wasn't successful as a head coach at UCA, but I never implied he was successful, nor does that mean he couldn't be an effective assistant here at Arkansas should TJ go elsewhere.

1) His record obviously shows he has some head coaching experience.

2) I never watched him at UCA, but he intended to run a style similiar to Nolan's: ""I hate watching paint dry," he said. "We'll play fullcourt. I'll like fast breaks and slam dunks. Practices are supposed to be hard and the game is supposed to be fun." - http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2010-03-12/corliss-williamson-%E2%80%9Cbig-nasty%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%9Cbig-bear%E2%80%9D-uca-basketball#.VxWRAuIrKM8

3) He's proven he knows how to play the low (college) and high post (pro) in his career. We don't have anyone on staff that can appeal to big men. Watkins coaches them now, but this perimeter-oriented style of play doesn't sell itself to big men. He wasn't ever going to bring in great players to UCA. Let's not be naive.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

yraciv

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 18, 2016, 09:04:13 pm
He wasn't successful as a head coach at UCA, but I never implied he was successful, nor does that mean he couldn't be an effective assistant here at Arkansas should TJ go elsewhere.

1) His record obviously shows he has some head coaching experience.

2) I never watched him at UCA, but he intended to run a style similiar to Nolan's: ""I hate watching paint dry," he said. "We'll play fullcourt. I'll like fast breaks and slam dunks. Practices are supposed to be hard and the game is supposed to be fun." - http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2010-03-12/corliss-williamson-%E2%80%9Cbig-nasty%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%9Cbig-bear%E2%80%9D-uca-basketball#.VxWRAuIrKM8

3) He's proven he knows how to play the low (college) and high post (pro) in his career. We don't have anyone on staff that can appeal to big men. Watkins coaches them now, but this perimeter-oriented style of play doesn't sell itself to big men. He wasn't ever going to bring in great players to UCA. Let's not be naive.

I think my problem with Corliss was the lack of interest in academics and the fact the new coach retained only 1 player, and then you throw on the  losing record.  I get it that it's a lower level D1 team so you take some flyers on academic risks, but it's like UCA completely disregarded  grades and still couldn't win. Maybe thats because Corliss isn't a good evaluator or wasn't ready to run a program, but either way, his whole 3 years there was a debacle.

Illinihog

I won't bash Scotty.  Can't do it, but this is a typical Nutt move.  Place one of your cronies in an off the court role and bring in another one of your guys.  This isn't a good move.  If we made a staff change I'd like to be someone outside of the organization.  Fresh ideas, new face, someone who has recruited.

mhuff

Quote from: hogwood on April 16, 2016, 02:03:10 pm
I thought Zimmerman was just being reassigned within the program?

My mistake..... Thought he was out period or perhaps was going elsewhere .

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Illinihog on April 19, 2016, 12:45:07 pm
I won't bash Scotty.  Can't do it, but this is a typical Nutt move.  Place one of your cronies in an off the court role and bring in another one of your guys.  This isn't a good move.  If we made a staff change I'd like to be someone outside of the organization.  Fresh ideas, new face, someone who has recruited.

No a Nutt move would be to bring a quality coach like Alex Wood and not actually let him coach or have any say in the game plan. There is also a current HC in the SEC that probably feels like this happened to him as well.

This is probably more like a CBP move like when he made People's the Dline coach or hired everyone from Carroll College

root_hawg

Try to appease some of the fans by bringing back more of the past plus show he is open to changes .... but if you want a guy to teach shooters, I would rather have Bradley.

jackflash

Welcome aboard Scotty I don't know if this one move is enough to help in recruiting

Tusks

Someone in MMQ did an analysis of what % of football assistant coaches move every year, the number was significant.  I wonder what the % is in basketball.  It doesn't seem like basketball assistant coaches move very much even at the NC & Duke's of the world.  Seems like a coach keeps his staff pretty close to intact for his time at a school and he makes it or he doesn't.

Not saying its right or wrong, just seems that way to me.  I sure wish MA could or would get a recruiter on the staff.  With more and more of the slime of AAU and 1/done's the recruiting game is going to get worse before or if it ever gets better.  Its kind of the old 'if you can't beat them, join them' I'm not for bags of cash but crap if Duke can give jobs to recruits parents at companies in the research triangle then maybe a job at a fortune 500 company can get the hogs in the game.

I know many don't like MA but unless you're playing some of the recruiting $$$ game it's a push uphill.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Pork Twain

Good coaching staffs often see the assistants poached by other schools.  HDN and MA have never had this problem.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hogfan1660

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 20, 2016, 12:02:18 pm
Good coaching staffs often see the assistants poached by other schools.  HDN and MA have never had this problem.

^^^THIS^^^

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

HoopS

This may work or maybe not. But at the very least it is a change and Scottie has already made one in-home visit and that's one more than he was allowed to make prior to this. Went to see Hazen. Let's see if he worked a little magic there.

I also understand the call to go away from his current staff but understand why he wants to keep them. He may very well be happy with what they bring to the table and exactly what all that is, who here really knows. Unless you're closely connected you don't really get the full feel for what is expected for each assistant and if they're doing their job to the expectation level. If they are, then of course he wouldn't move just to please fans. You don't bring in new coaches and go through their learning curve if you are happy with your current staff. Sounds fun to shake it up but the reality is most coaches don't want to shake it up unless they feel they need to. He apparently felt he wanted to shift things around a little and I'm good with this move, even if it is more subtle than some wanted.

Ultimately, he needs to win at a high clip or he will be gone. He needs to have his staff however he wants it and live with the consequences.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on April 20, 2016, 10:06:35 pm

^^^THIS^^^

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Our AC do not even get a sniff from any other schools as far as we know.  I think they are all nice guys but are they working hard enough and smart enough at their craft to maintain us in the national top 25 and top 3 in the weak SEC?

Proof is in the results.

hawgtime

Quote from: root_hawg on April 19, 2016, 07:26:24 pm
Try to appease some of the fans by bringing back more of the past plus show he is open to changes .... but if you want a guy to teach shooters, I would rather have Bradley.

Bradley would be a great teacher if he could teach.  maybe he can.  better yet, get coaches that can shoot and get players that can recruit and COACH!

hawgtime

Quote from: HoopS on April 21, 2016, 07:03:03 am
This may work or maybe not. But at the very least it is a change and Scottie has already made one in-home visit and that's one more than he was allowed to make prior to this. Went to see Hazen. Let's see if he worked a little magic there.

I also understand the call to go away from his current staff but understand why he wants to keep them. He may very well be happy with what they bring to the table and exactly what all that is, who here really knows. Unless you're closely connected you don't really get the full feel for what is expected for each assistant and if they're doing their job to the expectation level. If they are, then of course he wouldn't move just to please fans. You don't bring in new coaches and go through their learning curve if you are happy with your current staff. Sounds fun to shake it up but the reality is most coaches don't want to shake it up unless they feel they need to. He apparently felt he wanted to shift things around a little and I'm good with this move, even if it is more subtle than some wanted.

Ultimately, he needs to win at a high clip or he will be gone. He needs to have his staff however he wants it and live with the consequences.

TRUE.  if he can do it with what he has, we will see this year.  so far he hasn't pulled in any big time players so I am not optimistic.

HoopS

Quote from: hawgtime on May 02, 2016, 12:22:46 pm
TRUE.  if he can do it with what he has, we will see this year.  so far he hasn't pulled in any big time players so I am not optimistic.

well, Scottie looks to be 1 for 1 so far.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RealHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 20, 2016, 12:02:18 pm

AMEN brother! Hot assistants seem to fly about the SEC but no is reaching out to our guys for sure. Texas A&Ms staff has been a rotating all star team of assistants, albeit serial cheaters. Heck, Pelphrey at AL already has Big Dan Giddens visiting campus.