Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wing Forward

Started by Razorod, April 05, 2016, 06:51:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Quote from: King Kong on April 05, 2016, 02:16:04 pm
Almost nothing of their games are comparable IMO.

Where they played on the court is absolutely the same. Neither are post up guys. Harris was more explosive with a run but neither are great one step and get up guys. Ross is a better scorer but both of them will get the majority of their points from the same place on the court.

King Kong

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 05, 2016, 06:45:42 pm
Where they played on the court is absolutely the same. Neither are post up guys. Harris was more explosive with a run but neither are great one step and get up guys. Ross is a better scorer but both of them will get the majority of their points from the same place on the court.

In certain situation they play at similar spots on floor. Ross did play dome 3 along with the 4 at Tech. I can agree with some of your points but not all.

The majority of Harris points game from driving to the basket, fast breaks, put back dunks and some mid range shots. Harris was a much better help defender averaging close to 1 steal and block per game (.8).

Ross hit 33 3 pointers last year. Harris never hit more that 11 in a season. When Tech played Ross at the 3 this season he posted up quite a bit. Ross rarely scored on Fastbreaks and probably hasn't a put back dunk in his entire college career. Ross also only averaged .3 and .3 steals and blks per game

Danny J

If Ross wants to be here them sign him...period. You can put Manny back as a walk on. If he wants to be here them you find a way to make it happen. If we can sign guys like Miles or Kouassi or put Manny on scholly then we sure as hell can take Ross who is better than those other three combined. It doesn't matter if he is considered a wing a PG a center or a damn quarterback....sign him up

King Kong

April 05, 2016, 08:04:42 pm #53 Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:32:08 pm by King Kong
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GbLSur29uuo"; frameborder="0" allojwfullscreen></iframe>

Highlights from Ross this season. Just uploaded today

rzrbackramsfan

A taller guy that can shoot.  Pretty sure someone like that hit the winning shot last night in the nc

chiti66

Looking at that tape....yeah, I think he could play the 3 for us.  Would be a really nice pick-up. 

HamSammich

Wing forward is a classic name for a rugby position. I expected something completely different in this thread.

The_Bionic_Pig

Ross a thick dude, good upper body strength! He would easily open up passing/driving lanes at the 4 by having the opponents  (4) pulled far away from the interior in pursuit.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 05, 2016, 09:15:34 am
I'm basically with you on that except for you know Watkins will play 15-20 minutes behind Thomas.

If our level of play rises at all and Watkins' play doesn't, he won't be playing 15-20 minutes. He regressed this past season and wouldn't have been able to play 15 mins except for the suckage of our team as a whole. It's not like MA would insist on playing Keaton Miles 15 mins every single year, he just had no choice on last season's team.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 06, 2016, 07:50:32 am
If our level of play rises at all and Watkins' play doesn't, he won't be playing 15-20 minutes. He regressed this past season and wouldn't have been able to play 15 mins except for the suckage of our team as a whole. It's not like MA would insist on playing Keaton Miles 15 mins every single year, he just had no choice on last season's team.

A senior with 3 years in the program/the associate head coach's son or......a 3-star freshman in Bailey.

Sorry, Watkins is playing even if he isn't much better than he was this season. That's just what is going to happen. Watch.

I don't think Miles and Watkins are at all comparable here. There's no personal connection with Miles like there is with Manny. Manny is practically Mike's nephew. We know how loyal Mike is. And, also, as bad as Manny might have been at times this past season, he's still A LOT better than Keaton Miles. With all due respect, Miles might be the worst player to ever get real minutes under Anderson at Arkansas.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2016, 08:03:59 amWith all due respect, Miles might be the worst player to ever get real minutes under Anderson at Arkansas.

And it Jacorey had learned to keep his hands to himself Miles never would have gotten those mins

Hawg Red

And I'd like to point that I do expect Manny to get better. I just think he looked worse than he probably should have because he was playing more minutes than he really should. You give him 10-15 minutes again and refine his role down to just energy/hustle/defense and everything is fine.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2016, 08:10:58 am
And I'd like to point that I do expect Manny to get better. I just think he looked worse than he probably should have because he was playing more minutes than he really should. You give him 10-15 minutes again and refine his role down to just energy/hustle/defense and everything is fine.

More minutes and many (Manny) times at a spot he's not suited for size-wise.

The_Iceman

Quote from: King Kong on April 05, 2016, 08:04:42 pm
https://www.youtube.com/embed/GbLSur29uuo

That'll play! Could use him next year.

hoglady

Why did Ross ever end up in a Texas Tech uniform to begin with?
How did he not end up at Arkansas after getting his grades straightened out?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawg Red

Quote from: hoglady on April 06, 2016, 09:41:36 am

We can only speculate, but I had heard rumblings around that time that Ross might have poor conditioning and he isn't a fantastic athlete to begin with. He's not typically the kind of player Anderson would recruit, but obviously Mike now has the advantage of having seen him produce at the high-major level (similar to with Dusty Hannahs).

This would be my guess, but I remember hearing that around that time. I mean, obviously Mike just didn't offer him a spot back once he went through prep school or he'd have been a Hog 100%.

hogwood

Grades.

hogwood

Quote from: King Kong on April 05, 2016, 08:04:42 pm
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GbLSur29uuo"; frameborder="0" allojwfullscreen></iframe>

Better and bigger than Harris. Different players in a few ways, but pretty similar. I think Ross would play the 4 in a 3 guard starting lineup. The 3 in a taller lineup. Kingsley, Ross, Barford, Hannahs, Beard. That's nice! That would really make our bench much deeper too. Thompson, Cook, Thomas, Macon, Watkins.

Get Ross, then sign a another and we're set.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on April 06, 2016, 10:00:17 am
Better and bigger than Harris. Different players in a few ways, but pretty similar. I think Ross would play the 4 in a 3 guard starting lineup. The 3 in a taller lineup. Kingsley, Ross, Barford, Hannahs, Beard. That's nice! That would really make our bench much deeper too. Thompson, Cook, Thomas, Macon, Watkins.

Ross + Dembele would be ideal.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogwood on April 06, 2016, 10:00:17 am

If Moses returns. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RealHog

In the hypothetical that Ross does transfer, is he eligible to play immediately or would he have to sit a year? He has only played 3 at TT, did he redshirt and would be a grad transfer?

hogwood

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2016, 10:02:55 am
Ross + Dembele would be ideal.

That would be nice. I'd prefer Fisher, if he's an option, which doesn't appear to be happening.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RealHog on April 06, 2016, 10:10:12 am
In the hypothetical that Ross does transfer, is he eligible to play immediately or would he have to sit a year? He has only played 3 at TT, did he redshirt and would be a grad transfer?

It would likely be a grad transfer situation, so eligible immediately. Similar to Kouassi.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RealHog on April 06, 2016, 10:10:12 am

The assumption here is that he's a grad transfer or it doesn't really make sense to bring him in.

King Kong

He had a major knee injury at Prep school.

Hawg Red

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2016, 10:36:11 am
That was when he was already at Texas Tech.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4104875-texas-tech-aaron-ross-tears-acl

And to answer King Kong's question, lets speak the truth on the matter. Ross was known as a lazy guy who didn't practice hard and was constantly out of shape. That's why he didn't end up at Arkansas.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2016, 10:36:11 am
That was when he was already at Texas Tech.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4104875-texas-tech-aaron-ross-tears-acl

My mistake then. I thought he had a knee injury at prep school then re injuried it at Texas Tech.

King Kong

Quote from: intelligence on April 06, 2016, 10:49:39 am
And to answer King Kong's question, lets speak the truth on the matter. Ross was known as a lazy guy who didn't practice hard and was constantly out of shape. That's why he didn't end up at Arkansas.

Well, it wasn't my question it was Hoglady's

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: intelligence on April 06, 2016, 10:49:39 am

The same things were said about Trey Thompson. Ross never had the minimum test score in high school (with GPA being involved), and getting the minimum academic requirements to play for a Big 12 program like Tech was/is easier than an SEC program like Arkansas. If he couldn't do it in high school, it stands reason to believe that college wouldn't be much easier.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

Quote from: King Kong on April 06, 2016, 10:51:36 am
My mistake then. I thought he had a knee injury at prep school then re injuried it at Texas Tech.

He did re-injured his knee before last season and missed some time, so that may be what you're thinking of with the first injury being before he ever got a chance to play for Texas Tech.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2016, 11:06:58 am
He did re-injured his knee before last season and missed some time, so that may be what you're thinking of with the first injury being before he ever got a chance to play for Texas Tech.

Must be what I was thinking of

jry04

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 06, 2016, 10:56:27 am
The same things were said about Trey Thompson. Ross never had the minimum test score in high school (with GPA being involved), and getting the minimum academic requirements to play for a Big 12 program like Tech was/is easier than an SEC program like Arkansas. If he couldn't do it in high school, it stands reason to believe that college wouldn't be much easier.
To be fair, according to sources close to him, he had a learning disability that required special testing for the ACT. The necessary paperwork for his final attempt at the ACT un-timed was not filled out. When he arrived to take the test he was taking it with all of the other students. Whether that is true or not, I do not know. That is just what was being reported when he failed to qualify the first time around.

1hawgballer2

That's correct he did have a learning disability. In addition to a knee injury  that is where the medical redshirt came  into play. If he has graduated from Tech, I consider that accomplishment a plus sign him up. Although I would not play him as a 3, most likely a four... end

woodhog14

Quote from: King Kong on April 05, 2016, 01:58:00 pm
Well for his Soph year it was 29 assists, 34 TO and 12 steals. Let's hope for similar improvement.

I'm not counting on much of anything from Thomas.

King Kong

Quote from: woodhog14 on April 06, 2016, 06:29:24 pm
I'm not counting on much of anything from Thomas.

Cool story

PonderinHog

Ross played very well against us for Texas Tech.  I'd like to see him play well for us as a grad transfer if that's what he wants to do.  I think he's a good one year transition piece to the next season's puzzle.  He's much better than quite a few players that saw significant minutes for us last season.  Call him whatever you want, but call him a Hog at heart.

labb

Anyone know anything about Jalen Hudson of Virginia Tech?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: labb on April 06, 2016, 09:02:47 pm
Anyone know anything about Jalen Hudson of Virginia Tech?

According to this article he's transferring from Virginia tech and Arkansas was mentioned as being a school he chose vt over.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.todaysu.com/u-news/virginia-tech-guard-jalen-hudson-transfer/amp/?client=safari#

This would've been the same class as beard and Thompson.

labb

I don't guess we would be interested in another guard. I was thinking he was a small forward.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: labb on April 06, 2016, 09:39:46 pm
I don't guess we would be interested in another guard. I was thinking he was a small forward.

He's 6'4 - 6'5.  I read later that he took an OV to Arkansas.  Virginia tech fans are sad to see him go.  This would be a good pick up.  Would love to get him and Ross.

King Kong

Quote from: labb on April 06, 2016, 09:39:46 pm

He is a wing player. Super athletic born in Virginia pick Tech over us. Major talent, however extremely inconsistent at Virginia Tech

hogwood

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 06, 2016, 09:24:07 pm
According to this article he's transferring from Virginia tech and Arkansas was mentioned as being a school he chose vt over.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.todaysu.com/u-news/virginia-tech-guard-jalen-hudson-transfer/amp/?client=safari#

This would've been the same class as beard and Thompson.

He would have to sit out a year though right? We need kids who can play now, but I wouldn't be upset if we take him as long as we get someone who can contribute next year.

I really wanted him in 2014. He's put up good numbers at Tech, though I've never watched him play. We were his #2 choice. Though if he comes here, I just don't see the use in having CJ Jones. Jones likely won't contribute next year, so might as well have Hudson instead as he is a better prospect from what I know.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on April 06, 2016, 10:32:22 pm
He would have to sit out a year though right? We need kids who can play now, but I wouldn't be upset if we take him as long as we get someone who can contribute next year.

I really wanted him in 2014. He's put up good numbers at Tech, though I've never watched him play. We were his #2 choice. Though if he comes here, I just don't see the use in having CJ Jones. Jones likely won't contribute next year, so might as well have Hudson instead as he is a better prospect from what I know.

Yes, he would have to sit out a year. But his junior year would be after Hannahs graduates, and his senior year would be the year after Beard, Barford, and Macon are gone. Depth at guard will be a need those years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMjm3cMF3Kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0U_xHB2jg

azhog10

If we can get him, we just found Doobie's scholly replacement IMO.

labb

Dang, kid can really finish at the rim. Hope we are going after him.