Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas Rangers - 2012

Started by Dr. Starcs, April 09, 2012, 04:04:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

I meant to start this before the season actually started. Oh well, better late than never. For all you fellow Rangers fans who have endured the thrills (and gut-wrenching pains) of the last two years.......

Dr. Starcs

Rangers take 2 of 3 at home against the White Sox. Robin Ventura makes his managerial debut and leaves Arlington with what's left of his dignity (after the beatdown from Nolan in the early 90's).

Rangers pitching thru the first 3 games was great. Colby Lewis, Derek Holland and Matt Harrison all had quality starts.

Once again, the lineup is loaded with weapons as witnessed last night when Adrian Beltre went deep along with upper deck shots by David Murphy and Josh Hamilton.

Yu Darvish makes his major league debut tonight on the mound against the Mariners.

Dr. Starcs

Well, the Rangers take 3 of 4 against Seattle in Arlington to improve to 5-2 on the season. Texas led last night 3-1 in the 9th before newly acquired closer Joe Nathan couldn't close the deal and Seattle won 4-3.
However, last year closer Neftali Feliz looked great in his first career start. Japanese phenom Yu Darvish struggled for the first two innings of his highly anticipated debut, but settled down to throw 3+ innings of shutout ball. The five man starting rotation could be a surprising strength around the league.

UhOhioHog

Does Nathan rebound or is he done as an elite closer?

I hope it's just rust. Closer appears to be the weakest link at this time. I can't believe I said Joe Nathan and weakest link together. What a great problem to have.

Dr. Starcs

Good to hear from you TexasHogFan. Was beginning to think all the Rangers fans abandoned ship after last October! 
You raise an interesting question about Nathan. I too am hoping it's just rust. It sure would be nice to have Ogando, Adams and a 100% Nathan out in the pen to shorten games. I've been really impressed with the starting pitching so far.

Dr. Starcs

Rangers sweep the Twins in Minnesota, a place that has not been kind to Texas in the past few years. Runs the record up to 8-2. Couldn't ask for a much better start. Now, it's on to Fenway for a two game set with the Red Sox. Colby Lewis and Derek Holland scheduled to pitch Tuesday and Wednesday.
I was only able to watch today's game against the twins. Trailing 3-1 late, Texas gets 3 runs in the 8th to win it 4-3. Josh Hamilton hit a 2-run go ahead bomb. Joe Nathan picked up the save against his former team.

selfexplanatory

Hamilton's bomb came on the first pitch and was a few feet shy of 500.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

Dr. Starcs

The Rangers go to Fenway and sweep Boston in a two game set. Dominated last night with an 18-3 win and win tonight 6-3.
Texas improves to 10-2 overall and 5-0 on the road. Great starting pitching again and another solid night at the plate from the big guns. Hamilton and Napoli are stroking the ball right now.
Tomorrow begins a 4 game battle with the Tigers in Detroit in what could be a preview of a postseason matchup.

Ash

I actually got to watch both these games for once. Napoli is looking REALLY hot right now. Hope he keeps it going for a while.

I'm interested to see tonight how Darvish pitches. He looked really shaky the first few innings of his debut but settled down nicely.

Dr. Starcs

Agreed ash. Yu will have his hands full with that Tiger lineup tonight. We'll find out if he can calm his nerves. If he can't, he may not see the 4th inning. He has really good movement on his pitches, it's just controlling it has given him trouble. Here's hoping to a solid outing for him tonight.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I was at the ballpark opening day.  Didn't go into the game but had a great time tailgating all day.

I will be in the ballpark mon and tues for sure.  Possibly Wednesday as well.
Let's make some waves.

LGHOG

The Rangers are the hottest team in BB and the best team in BB. I LOVE watching them play. Are they playing a DH today with Detroit to make up for the rain out last night?

Dr. Starcs

Playing two today in Detroit. 12 & 6.

LGHOG

LGHOG

I hear that freakin vendor again just like the first game!

:puke:

bsking

Josh Hamilton is a full grown man.  Best 2nd round pick by me ever.

LGHOG

Quote from: bsking on April 21, 2012, 12:14:04 pm
Josh Hamilton is a full grown man.  Best 2nd round pick by me ever.

And just drilled a 3 run HR. 3-0 TX.

LGHOG

LGHOG

Bases loaded no outs. This could get real ugly.

LGHOG

Napoli up with bases loaded.

LGHOG

LGHOG

LGHOG

Leyland letting him pitch because of the DH today. Verlander pitches 2nd game today.

Dr. Starcs

April 22, 2012, 08:40:28 pm #23 Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:49:38 pm by Nip/Tusk
The Rangers continued their hot start winning 3 of 4 in Detroit against the Tigers to improve to a league best 13-3 on the season.

Texas started the series with a 10-3 win in which they pounded out 19 hits. Yu pitched 6+ innings and gave up only 2 hits. 

Friday's game was postponed due to rain, so they played two on Saturday. The Rangers offense exploded for 8 runs in the 1st inning and cruised to a 10-4 win in game 1. Texas had 17 hits. Harrison pitched 7 2/3 innings and gave up 3 earned runs. Napoli homered in his 5th straight game.

Texas suffered their first road loss of the year in game 2.  Feliz was out-dueled by Verlander and the tigers won 3-2, despite the Rangers out-hitting them 7-3. Feliz went 8 innings and gave up 3 earned runs.

In the final game today, the Rangers won it 3-2 in 11 innings.  Former Razorback Drew Smyly pitched a heck of a game for detroit but got the no decision.  Lewis was great for Texas as well pitching 7 innings and giving up 2 earned runs. Hamilton homered again for his 7th through 16 games.

The Rangers begin a series with the Yankees tomorrow in Arlington.

Dr. Starcs

Rangers lose game 1 of a 3 game series against the Yankees in Arlington. On a day where an all-time great retires as a Ranger, Texas falls short 7-4.

Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez retired today. Nice ceremony honoring him before the game. Instead of throwing the opening pitch, Pudge fired one down to second base just like old times.

Unfortunately, Holland turned in probably the worst start this year by a Ranger starter giving up 7 runs in 6 innings. Hamilton did collect his 8th home run through the first 17 games. Rangers fall to 13-4 on the year and still lead the AL West by a good early season margin.

Odd we don't discuss pudge steroid use? But great day yea
Let's make some waves.

Dr. Starcs

Also odd to me that someone who doesn't even consider themselves a Rangers fan continues to post in a thread clearly titled "Texas Ranger 2012". But I'll take the bait...

Let's discuss -

Yes, Pudge was rumored in the steroid scandal as pretty much every major leaguer was during that era. However, I'm not aware of any proof that shows his guilt. Can you provide any?

Quote from: Nip/Tusk on April 24, 2012, 11:31:00 am
Also odd to me that someone who doesn't even consider themselves a Rangers fan continues to post in a thread clearly titled "Texas Ranger 2012". But I'll take the bait...

Let's discuss -

Yes, Pudge was rumored in the steroid scandal as pretty much every major leaguer was during that era. However, I'm not aware of any proof that shows his guilt. Can you provide any?

Quote from: Nip/Tusk on April 24, 2012, 11:31:00 am

Let's discuss -

No proof of his guilt at all.  When asked at a presser if his name was on the list of 100 or whatever his reply was " only god knows"  that leads me to lean toward a yes.

Also the drastic physical changes once the roid crackdown began.  Doesn't even look like the same person.

Doesn't diminish what he did on the field however.  I also thought it was fitting he retired as a Ranger last night.  I will be out there again tonight.
Let's make some waves.

Sorry didn't mean to do that twice.  Whole site is a bit overloaded and being wacky at the moment.
Let's make some waves.

Dr. Starcs

The Rangers won tonight against the Yankees 2-0. Yu pitched 8 1/3 shutout innings to improve to 3-0 on the year. Looked outstanding tonight, striking out 10. Seemed to be much more in control of his pitches. Texas moves to 14-4 overall. Kinsler led the game off with a home run. Final game tomorrow.

That was tough to watch.  I knew the yanks were in trouble when bases loaded nobody out and didn't score.

Still a fun night out at the park.
Let's make some waves.

Dr. Starcs

Texas wins last night to take two of three from the Yanks. Rangers improve to 15-4 overall. Next up Tampa Bay in town for the weekend for a 3 game set.

bsking

Rangers look really, really good.  If they were in the NL you could almost pencil them into the WS.

TX HOG

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 26, 2012, 03:29:06 pm
Texas wins last night to take two of three from the Yanks. Rangers improve to 15-4 overall. Next up Tampa Bay in town for the weekend for a 3 game set.

we'll be there sat night!

hoghelmet14

Love the Rangers... if Nelson Cruz was 2 inches taller we would we world champs!
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

Dr. Starcs

I didn't get to watch much this weekend due to the NBA playoffs starting. The Rays came to Arlington and took 2 of 3 from the Rangers. It gave Texas their first series loss of the season. The starting pitching for the Rangers was not as good as it has been. Washington got tossed tonight on his 60th birthday. He got his money's worth.
The Rangers fall to 16-6 overall. They'll take a late flight out tonight to head to Toronto for a series with the Blue Jays starting tomorrow night.

April 29, 2012, 10:40:00 pm #36 Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:10:02 am by Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson
Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 29, 2012, 10:31:31 pm
I didn't get to watch much this weekend due to the NBA playoffs starting. The Rays came to Arlington and took 2 of 3 from the Rangers. It gave Texas their first series loss of the season. The starting pitching for the Rangers was not as good as it has been. Washington got tossed tonight on his 60th birthday. He got his money's worth.
The Rangers fall to 16-6 overall. They'll take a late flight out tonight to head to Toronto for a series with the Blue Jays starting tomorrow night.

Lmao you couldn't because of the NBA? Yep you seem like a ranger fan ya [CENSORED]. 
Let's make some waves.

April 29, 2012, 10:41:24 pm #37 Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:17:02 am by Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson
And hey doc any Time sweetheart. Before you ask.
Let's make some waves.

Dr. Starcs

April 30, 2012, 12:00:11 am #38 Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:01:51 am by Dr. Starcs
Ok jeff, I'm going to assume you've had too much alcohol tonight. Let's see NBA playoffs or regular season MLB?  Tough call for some people. Not for me.
By the way, it's really ok if you never post in this thread again. Thanks for the insults though.
Also, when you sober up, can you explain your incoherent posts? And maybe try spell check?

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 30, 2012, 12:00:11 am
Ok jeff, I'm going to assume you've had too much alcohol tonight. Let's see NBA playoffs or regular season MLB?  Tough call for some people. Not for me.
By the way, it's really ok if you never post in this thread again. Thanks for the insults though.
Also, when you sober up, can you explain your incoherent posts? And maybe try spell check?

First off I wasn't asking your permission to post here.  I will post where I like until I am banned.  I generally post from my phone and don't check for spelling or typos.  Sometimes it auto corrects and sometimes it puts what the hell ever out there.  If you couldn't read it it shouldn't have offended you.

I did clean one of those up a bit since your feewings seemed so hurt.  I wouldnt watch an NBA game from an owners box much less pay for a ticket or watch on television.
Let's make some waves.

Dr. Starcs

April 30, 2012, 05:17:38 pm #40 Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:21:11 pm by Dr. Starcs
It's funny how nobody asked your opinion about the NBA. I was simply pointing out the fact that out of a 162 game regular season, I'm not going to watch every game. All I was doing was updating the series against the rays so that true Rangers fans could follow along. I was not updating it for people like you.

And typically, when someone calls me a "female dog" I tend to take exception to it.

As a side note, Josh Hamilton left last night's game with a stiff back and is listed as day to day.

Dr. Starcs

The Rangers, after a quick turn-around, go to Toronto and take game 1 from the Blue Jays 4-1 tonight. Former Razorback Craig Gentry started in place of injured Josh Hamilton and hit his first home run of the year. Yu was fantastic again going 7 strong innings and striking out 9 (I think). I was flipping back and forth between playoffs (sorry jeff).
Rangers improve to 17-6 on the season.

Dr. Starcs

I got to watch the last 4 innings of the game tonight. Texas blew a 5-0 lead and Toronto hit a walk-off solo home run to win 8-7. Texas scored one in the top of the 9th to tie it before Mike Adams gave up the solo shot. The Rangers fall to 17-7 on the year. They'll play the rubber match tomorrow at noon.

UhOhioHog

Dr. Starcs

Hey TexasHogFan, can you see my avatar by any chance? 
Reason I ask, I can't see it anymore, but it used to be an attractive female wearing a Canadian flag bikini. Where did it go???

UhOhioHog

Looks as if it's been removed. I don't see it anymore.

Dr. Starcs

Ok thanks.
The Rangers dropped another to the jays this afternoon. Texas loses their second series in a row and second series of the year. I was working all day and didn't see any of the game. I saw the final was 11-5. Perhaps another bad outing for the Rangers starting pitcher? 
Texas falls to 17-8 on the season. Off day tomorrow.

He had a rough outing.  Rangers cut it to 8-5 but the Jays tacked in a few more. Yanks stinking it up agains vs the o's.  Hope the Rangers sweep Baltimore later this month.  They are playing really well.
Let's make some waves.

Dr. Starcs

Thanks for the update jeff. I also saw where Harrison gave up 8 runs in 3 1/3 innings. That's two bad outings in a row for him. Hope he gets it together soon. I flipped over to see some of the yanks game. Announcers were talking about Chavez at the hospital. Do you know anything?

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 02, 2012, 08:49:38 pm
Thanks for the update jeff. I also saw where Harrison gave up 8 runs in 3 1/3 innings. That's two bad outings in a row for him. Hope he gets it together soon. I flipped over to see some of the yanks game. Announcers were talking about Chavez at the hospital. Do you know anything?

Just a goofy fluke play dove for a grounder and king it his chin and shoulder a little. Looked rather harmless but thy are saying concussion and possible whiplash.

Not funny I suppose, but if you had seen it you would have thought nothing of it. He finished the inning, but was shaking his head and couldn't complete his at bat.  Blurred vision or dizzy I suppose.  One of the wackiest things I've ever seen.

Let's make some waves.