Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VI

Started by Hogtropolis™, April 04, 2012, 09:54:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy turtle

Quote from: johnny cash on April 26, 2012, 08:39:07 pm
The fans in st Louis would have been behind him all the way n a slump. They love there players up there. He made a mistake leaving the best baseball city in the world.

The fans in St Louis definitely wouldve  embraced him more, but even though he is my favorite player ever, I truly believe he had to leave eventually and LA should be a good fit for him. Im as big of a cards fan as there is but did we really believe that he would retire in the NL? I was hopeful but that was about it.
"In that piece when they go back in the pocket and throw, it will predict alot of the success that they have."

Les Miles   -LSUSports.net Nov 22 2010

johnny cash

Him being able to DH is a plus for him. I just really hate not seeing him play at Busch.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: johnny cash on April 26, 2012, 09:24:34 pm
Him being able to DH is a plus for him. I just really hate not seeing him play at Busch.
I think that's the number one reason he left, but he can't just come out and say that.

pigture perfect

But honestly that is why the DH should be eliminated from baseball. Some of the highest paid players are part time players anymore.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Davy turtle

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 27, 2012, 09:18:18 am
But honestly that is why the DH should be eliminated from baseball. Some of the highest paid players are part time players anymore.

I totally agree with you but until that is changed I believe that big time sluggers will start looking that direction (AL) when they get in their early 30's and maybe earlier for some players. I wouldnt be surprised if Votto ends up in the AL in the next 3-4 years via trade and stays there. You might as well add Sandoval to that list as well.
"In that piece when they go back in the pocket and throw, it will predict alot of the success that they have."

Les Miles   -LSUSports.net Nov 22 2010

pigture perfect

Wow 8 run third inning against Brew crew. Up 10-1. Gotta love it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

johnny cash

Holliday hit the ball good last night, this team sure been fun to watch so far.

johnny cash

I believe in the near future the DH will be in the national league. Do I like it no, but been a lot more talk about it in off season meetings this year. On another note Freeze hit big fly today as did Yadi. Yadi 4 for 4 today as Cards win another series 7 to 3. Let's go for sweep tomorrow.

pigture perfect

Yep, missed a good chance to sweep the Brewers and gain more ground in the Central. Still up 3 games though.

The Boar War

Good series against the Brewers.  If not for two baserunning errors on third base we would have had the sweep.

clutch

Quote from: johnny cash on April 28, 2012, 06:35:50 pm
I believe in the near future the DH will be in the national league. Do I like it no, but been a lot more talk about it in off season meetings this year. On another note Freeze hit big fly today as did Yadi. Yadi 4 for 4 today as Cards win another series 7 to 3. Let's go for sweep tomorrow.

I hope not. I'd rather it be the other way around and take out the DH all together.

DeltaBoy

Albert went NO HR's in April.  The Cards are looking solid so far! Go REDBIRDS!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FS Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 01, 2012, 12:48:13 pm
Albert went NO HR's in April.  The Cards are looking solid so far! Go REDBIRDS!
Who'd have thunk it, I hit as many homers in April as a $24mil a year ballplayer!

NotStupid

Quote from: clutch on May 01, 2012, 11:45:17 am
I hope not. I'd rather it be the other way around and take out the DH all together.
I used to think that way too, but then I got tired of watching pitchers try to hit.  It is just ridiculous.

clutch

Quote from: NotStupid on May 01, 2012, 03:42:29 pm
I used to think that way too, but then I got tired of watching pitchers try to hit.  It is just ridiculous.

Yeah but it adds a bit of strategy to the game. I like things that make the managers think a little bit and make moves. And Cardinals pitchers are usually decent hitters for some reason or another so it doesn't bother me that bad.

pigture perfect

Quote from: FS Hog on May 01, 2012, 02:29:18 pm
Who'd have thunk it, I hit as many homers in April as a $24mil a year ballplayer!
+1 you're having a good year. So how much you making? You're prolly under paid.

The Boar War

Looks like Craig is coming back from his rehab stint in Memphis.  Glad to have him back but unfortunately that means Komatsu will be placed on waivers.  Although he hasn't hit well so far this season I really liked his potential.

clutch

Quote from: The Boar War on May 01, 2012, 05:37:34 pm
Looks like Craig is coming back from his rehab stint in Memphis.  Glad to have him back but unfortunately that means Komatsu will be placed on waivers.  Although he hasn't hit well so far this season I really liked his potential.

I'm happy and unhappy at the same time. Craig is one of my favorite Cards and I was planning on getting over to Memphis to catch a game before he was gone. Guess I won't get to now. Has he already been called back up or have they just said when?

The Boar War

May 01, 2012, 05:51:19 pm #119 Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:54:43 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: clutch on May 01, 2012, 05:44:16 pm
I'm happy and unhappy at the same time. Craig is one of my favorite Cards and I was planning on getting over to Memphis to catch a game before he was gone. Guess I won't get to now. Has he already been called back up or have they just said when?

He's been called up today.  I've heard he's projected to play first base tonight.

johnny cash

Craig played a vital role last year in play offs. Can't wait to see him play again.

johnny cash

They are retiring Tony Larussa's number.

The Boar War

Waino's helping his case in the fourth inning with an RBI.

johnny cash

Quote from: The Boar War on May 01, 2012, 08:29:08 pm
Waino's helping his case in the fourth inning with an RBI.
yes that wasnt exactly fundamental fielding by ss.

The Boar War

Three run homerun from Freese in the 5th.  5-2 Cards.

The Boar War

Quote from: johnny cash on May 01, 2012, 08:39:11 pm
yes that wasnt exactly fundamental fielding by ss.

Yep that was ugly.

Craig gets his first hit/rbi of the year.

They've got to get Morton out of there.

johnny cash

Need to get Boggs in there to get out of the eighth.

pigture perfect

Very rarely do I root for the Cubs, but I hope they drum the Reds this series.

clutch

Quote from: rzrbkman on May 02, 2012, 09:51:23 am
I'm guessing that if Berkman is able to come off the disabled list later this week, and there is some question as to whether he will be or not, then Tyler Greene will be the next player sent out?

I'd hope it was Greene. Out of everyone, he is the one I feel like wouldn't hurt us if he left.

pigture perfect

Green is pretty good defensively, but I honestly think Cox would be viable on this team because of his hitting.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 02, 2012, 01:09:42 pm
Green is pretty good defensively, but I honestly think Cox would be viable on this team because of his hitting.

Yeah. The thing I do like about Greene is that you are basically getting a SS at 2B.

jbell96

Quote from: clutch on May 02, 2012, 02:33:18 pm
Yeah. The thing I do like about Greene is that you are basically getting a SS at 2B.

Guys I love Zack Cox, but Kolten Wong is our future at 2nd most likely.

pigture perfect

May 02, 2012, 07:36:26 pm #132 Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:38:25 pm by pigture perfect
Cards having a big inning in the first against Pirates! I usually cheer for AJ Burnette, but not tonight. Already 4-0 with 2 oon and no outs. Hope I didn't jinx it. Cincy and Milwaukee both losing as well. Could be a great night.

Well blame it on me. Suck! At least we got a good lead and Lynn has been pitching well.

pigture perfect

Beltran having a carer night. 4-4, with 2 HRs and 2 singles, 7 rbi and only in the 5th inning. Cards up 12-1. Reds and Brewers both lose. Woohoo!

The Boar War

I know most of the headlines will go to Beltran (and rightfully so) but I'm really impressed with Lance Lynn so far this season.

clutch

Lance Lynn has been awesome. I don't see how they can move him back to the pen when Carp gets back. He has been our best starter so far.

Cards starting off good again today. 3 doubles in the first with RBI's by Freese and Craig to jump out to an early 2-0 lead. Now they have the bases loaded in the 3rd with Holliday at the plate.

FS Hog

Let the Pirates off the hook too many times early today :(

The Boar War

Quote from: FS Hog on May 03, 2012, 06:55:24 pm
Let the Pirates off the hook too many times early today :(

Yeah.  The way we were hitting them early I didn't think the starting pitcher would make it out of the second inning.  But he regained his composure and we took our foot off the gas.  Still had a chance to tie it in the bottom of the ninth.

johnny cash

Just can't seem to get a sweep.

The Boar War

Quote from: johnny cash on May 03, 2012, 07:48:02 pm
Just can't seem to get a sweep.

Reminds me a lot of the second half of the '04 season (or at least how I remember it).

clutch

Quote from: The Boar War on May 03, 2012, 07:34:36 pm
Yeah.  The way we were hitting them early I didn't think the starting pitcher would make it out of the second inning.  But he regained his composure and we took our foot off the gas.  Still had a chance to tie it in the bottom of the ninth.

In the 2nd I was thinking we were going to cruise. Pitcher was a little wild and we were hitting him hard. Then he struck out 7 straight and I was wondering if anybody else was going to touch the ball all night. That comebacker that Holliday hit up the middle with the bases loaded ended up being the biggest play of the game. If that gets through his legs we probably get 2 more runs right there.

The Boar War

Lost another that we could have won.  An error (bad throw) from Craig to Furcal at second base (on a potential double play) leads to a 3 run homerun in the next at bat.  Cards lose 4-5.

Komatsu was claimed on waivers by the Twins.

pigture perfect

Bud Norris working his magic again. That dude kills us.

johnny cash

Yeah Norris on his game. Jay was Edmonds like tonight in center. Need to get back to winning ways tomorrow.

FS Hog

That had to be Greene's best game as a Card. Hope he can keep it up.

pigture perfect

Greene? Wow what a performance.

johnny cash

Craig had a good game as well.

pigture perfect

Waino's won 2 in a row now. maybe he's hitting his stride.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 07, 2012, 12:39:37 am
Waino's won 2 in a row now. maybe he's hitting his stride.

He's getting better each game. Won't be long and he will be back to his old ways.

The Boar War

May 07, 2012, 02:40:21 pm #149 Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:25:39 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: clutch on May 07, 2012, 01:38:16 pm
He's getting better each game. Won't be long and he will be back to his old ways.

Any word on Carpenter yet? 

Tonight's lineup looks a lot like yesterday's: Furcal, Beltran, Holliday, Craig, Freese, Molina, Jay, Greene, Lynn

Looking for #6 for Lance Lynn.  Ought to be a classic pitcher's duel.