Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Atlanta Braves 2012

Started by bsking, February 06, 2012, 10:58:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bsking

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 16, 2012, 03:30:37 am
Gotta love the hot start by Heyward.  I still haven't been able to watch a game.  I wasn't able to get my MLB.TV account set-up until Friday and then today the storm knocked our power out in the 2nd inning and didn't comeback on until after the game was over.  What's different about Heyward this year compared to last season? 

Ever since scoring two runs in the first two games, we're averaging 5.6 runs per game in the last 7 games. 

Heyward is looking great at the plate.  He's being very picky.  Last year I swear he grounded out to the second baseman 150 times because he tried to pull an outside pitch and just rolled over it.  Now he seems to be waiting for that middle third pitch that he can drive.  Also, most of his outs have been flyouts which is a really encouraging sign for me since he was 3rd in the MLB last year in ground ball %.

ucahogfan

Looks like the Mets are going to be our undoing this season.

bsking

FINALLY!  Stupid Mets.

Delgado looked great.  If Freeman and Uggla start hitting we'll have something really good.

gutshot

The offense is looking good.  Freeman's swing is coming around.  You can tell several players are making a concious effort to try and go back up the middle with it.  I don't know if it's a Walker/Fletcher thing or what, but I like it.  They're going to need to keep the bats rolling going out west.  The D-Backs and Dodgers are playing good ball. 

bsking

Love how the Braves are playing, if this is the norm I think this is definitely a team that contend for the NL title.

Hogz87

Quote from: gutshot on April 18, 2012, 03:45:57 pm
The offense is looking good.  Freeman's swing is coming around.  You can tell several players are making a concious effort to try and go back up the middle with it.  I don't know if it's a Walker/Fletcher thing or what, but I like it.  They're going to need to keep the bats rolling going out west.  The D-Backs and Dodgers are playing good ball. 

Can a simple firing and hiring of a hitting coach make this big of a difference?  We did look like the same offensive team in the season opening series, but it's like our players finally understand some basic hitting concepts they couldn't seem to grasp when Parrish was hitting coach.

OnTheHillHogFan

Saw on twitter today that the Braves are leading the league in runs
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

bsking

Heyward is the only batter I really see changing stuff.  If this team puts up 5-6 a game we'll win a ton of games.

ucahogfan

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 18, 2012, 08:08:52 pm
Saw on twitter today that the Braves are leading the league in runs
Doesn't really surprise me.  We have a ton of talent in our lineup and it could explode for a lot of runs this year.  Heck, we have All-Stars at C and 2B.  1B, the OF, and 3B all have the potential to be All-Stars or have been All-Stars.  SS is the biggest ? in our lineup.

Hogz87

April 19, 2012, 12:53:24 am #59 Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:37:15 pm by Hogz87
Quote from: ucahogfan on April 18, 2012, 10:52:48 pm
Doesn't really surprise me.  We have a ton of talent in our lineup and it could explode for a lot of runs this year.  Heck, we have All-Stars at C and 2B.  1B, the OF, and 3B all have the potential to be All-Stars or have been All-Stars.  SS is the biggest ? in our lineup.

Which explains (I think) why so many Braves fans tended to go overboard in their frustration last year.  There's just too much talent and potential in this lineup to be scraping together 2-4 runs.  I know guys like Freeman and Heyward are a year older, but still.  The approaches I saw our hitters take at the plate on a repeated basis last year made me want to throw-up.  The most aggravating thing was the inability to score a run with a runner on 2B r 3B and one or zero outs. 

bsking

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 19, 2012, 12:53:24 am
Which explains (I think) why so many Braves fans tended to go overboard in their frustration last year.  There's just too much talent and potential in this lineup to be scraping together 2-4 runs.  I know guys like Freeman and Heyward are a year older, but still.  The approaches I saw our hitters take at the plate on a repeated basis last year made me want to throw-up.  The most aggravating thing was the inability to score a run with a runner on 2B and one or zero outs. 

Yeah I think we were last by a huge margin in sac flies.

bsking

The offensive onslaught continues.  I hope we keep it up through this whole west coast swing.

Hogz87

Atlanta's offense the last three games:

9 runs, 9 hits
14 runs, 16 hits
10 runs, 16 hits

Nasty.

ucahogfan

Quote from: bsking on April 19, 2012, 11:32:03 pm
The offensive onslaught continues.  I hope we keep it up through this whole west coast swing.
I agree.  If this team continues to score 6+/game, we will win the NL and possibly the World Series.

gutshot

I was one of the many who trashed the Mike Minor draft pick at #7 in 2009, but damn...he's trying to make fools out of us all. 

When the offense is going good like this it seems like you can't do any wrong.  The bloops and bleeders in that 3 run 6th inning lastnight were reminiscent of my 9 year old daughter's softball team.  You gotta love it.  They're fun to watch right now.

bsking

I really like Minor.  I hope he's a staple in the rotation for the next decade.  In 5 years I'd love to see:

Hanson
Teheran
Delgado
Minor
Beachy

Although I think Gilmartin will be pushing for a spot.

ucahogfan

About the only thing to go wrong for the Braves this past week is Bourn holding up the game while having to relieve himself.  Just saw it made #2 on the Not Top 10.

bsking

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 20, 2012, 10:54:31 am
About the only thing to go wrong for the Braves this past week is Bourn holding up the game while having to relieve himself.  Just saw it made #2 on the Not Top 10.

Haha, yeah I saw that.  Funny.

gutshot

Speaking of Bourn, somebody's got to give him some props for his last 7 games.  Since the Milwaukee series, he's be all over the basepaths.  He's doing what just what we need him to do. 

pigture perfect

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 20, 2012, 10:54:31 am
when you gotta go. That was funny.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ucahogfan

Quote from: gutshot on April 20, 2012, 01:35:30 pm
Speaking of Bourn, somebody's got to give him some props for his last 7 games.  Since the Milwaukee series, he's be all over the basepaths.  He's doing what just what we need him to do. 
Except using the restroom in a quick manner.  At least he isn't slow on the field.

Hogz87

They were playing it off last night during the game as an equipment/wardrobe problem; thought they said something about his belt.  I wasn't paying real close attention at the time, though.   Didn't know it was because he as using the restroom.

Hogz87

April 20, 2012, 03:51:29 pm #72 Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:54:54 pm by Hogz87
Quote from: ucahogfan on April 20, 2012, 06:26:53 am
I agree.  If this team continues to score 6+/game, we will win the NL and possibly the World Series.

I know what you're saying but that did make me curious.  I went back and looked at the runs scored leaders the last five seasons.

Red Sox:  5.40 rpg (875 runs)
Yankees:  5.35 rpg (867 runs)
Rangers:  5.28 rpg (855 runs)
NL Leader:  Cardinals - 4.70 rpg (762 runs)

Yankees:  5.30 rpg (859 runs)
Red Sox:  5.05 rpg (818 runs)
Rays:  4.95 rpg (802 runs)
NL Leader:  Reds - 4.88 rpg (790 runs)

Yankees:  5.65 rpg (915 runs)
Rays:  5.45 rpg (883 runs)
Red Sox:  5.38 rpg (872 runs)
NL Leader:  Phillies - 5.06 rpg (820 runs)

Rangers:  5.56 rpg (901 runs)
Cubs  5.28 rpg (855 runs)
Red Sox:  5.21 rpg (845 runs)

Yankees:  5.97 rpg (968 runs)
Phillies:  5.51 rpg (892 runs)
Tigers:  5.47 rpg (887 runs)

If we even reach the 800 run mark this year (4.9 rpg) I'd be beyond happy, especially since we didn't even score 4 runs per game last year.

bsking

Yeah and our pitching is better than maybe every team on that list.

Hogz87

Quote from: bsking on April 20, 2012, 03:55:41 pm
Yeah and our pitching is better than maybe every team on that list.

Agree.  I can't remember the exact rotation of all those teams going back to 2007 but I'd put our rotation (with Hudson) up against the best of those I listed.  With our pitching we can win a lot of games scoring 4.5-5.0 runs per game instead of 5+ per game.

OnTheHillHogFan

Up 7-0 in the top of the 9th. Freeman is 3/4 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI. McCann also has a 2 run HR
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

OnTheHillHogFan

Braves win 9-1. Have now scored 42 runs in the current 4 game win streak and leading the majors with 84 runs scored

bsking

Man you have to love the patience at the plate we're showing.  Keep scoring fellas.

OnTheHillHogFan

Won 3-2 over the D-back today. Hanson went 7 innings with 7k. Uggla had solo Hr and Bourn had two hits

bsking

bsking

Well JJ got sent to Gwinett after another miserable performance to make way for Hudson.  Man I wish we would have traded him at the deadline last year.

I really think Medlen should get a shot at the 5th starter role along with Delgado.

Hogz87

Quote from: bsking on April 24, 2012, 02:25:40 pm
Well JJ got sent to Gwinett after another miserable performance to make way for Hudson.  Man I wish we would have traded him at the deadline last year.

I really think Medlen should get a shot at the 5th starter role along with Delgado.

I really feel bad for him but it had to be done.  From the All-Star game starter in July 2011 to AAA in April 2012.  Poor guy.

OnTheHillHogFan

The recalled Gearin to replace JJ. Looks like Livan Hernandez will take his spot in the rotation until Hudson gets back.

I still don't understand the signing of Hernandez. We already had a great guy to fill the long reliever role and spot starter with Medlen.

bsking

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 24, 2012, 05:32:04 pm
The recalled Gearin to replace JJ. Looks like Livan Hernandez will take his spot in the rotation until Hudson gets back.

I still don't understand the signing of Hernandez. We already had a great guy to fill the long reliever role and spot starter with Medlen.

I don't either man.  And Medlen has shown more than enough ability.

gutshot

April 25, 2012, 09:21:28 am #84 Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:27:31 am by gutshot
Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 24, 2012, 05:32:04 pm

But Medlen is too good for mop up duty, I think.  If he can't be a full time starter (I wish he was) I'd rather see him used in high-leverage situations like he's doing now.  It would be a shame to have his talent sitting out there waiting for one our starters to lay an egg. 

I can live with having Livan as the blowout game, 25th man.  It's Chad Durbin that makes me scratch my head.  Hopefully when Hudson gets activated this weekend, Gearrin will stay and Durbin will be leaving on the next thing smokin'.

gutshot

With that being said, if Anthony Varvaro comes back strong and Gearrin sticks, Livan AND Durbin could both be expendable with Martinez taking the long innings.  In his first three games back since injury, Varvaro has been solid. 

bsking

Durbin sucks.  Period.  I wouldn't trust him with a 5 run lead.  I think Livan will stay somehow and Durbin will get DFA'd when Hudson and Varvaro come back.

Hogz87

Quote from: bsking on April 25, 2012, 03:22:38 pm
Durbin sucks.  Period.  I wouldn't trust him with a 5 run lead.  I think Livan will stay somehow and Durbin will get DFA'd when Hudson and Varvaro come back.

We got rid of Proctor and replace him with Durbin despite there being better options in AAA right now.

bsking

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 25, 2012, 04:43:51 pm
We got rid of Proctor and replace him with Durbin despite there being better options in AAA right now.

I know.  I can ALMOST make sense of Livan but Durbin doesn't belong in pro baseball.

Hogz87

And what's up with Teheran?  I don't follow the minor league season too closely but apparently he isn't doing so hot right now?  Is it a case of he's not going to be as good as advertised or is he just struggling right now?

bsking

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 25, 2012, 06:22:23 pm
And what's up with Teheran?  I don't follow the minor league season too closely but apparently he isn't doing so hot right now?  Is it a case of he's not going to be as good as advertised or is he just struggling right now?

He's had a rough opening month.  Scouts say he still has the highest ceiling of any Braves pitcher.

bsking

How about those Bravos.

5-2 West Coast swing.  Handed the dodgers their first and second home losses of the season.  3 runs in the 9th to comeback in game 3 behind the old man knocking in the go ahead run.  O'Ventrill Striking out 7 of the final 8.

Time to put the beat down on the Buccos.

Hogz87

HUGE come from behind win.  Stupid me almost gave up and turned it off after Guerra got the first batter of the 9th.  I feel bad for him taking the line drive of the face but man what a fun 9th inning! 

Hogz87

Quote from: bsking on April 25, 2012, 09:59:28 pm
He's had a rough opening month.  Scouts say he still has the highest ceiling of any Braves pitcher.

Does he still have "Ace" potential?

bsking

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 26, 2012, 12:23:55 am
Does he still have "Ace" potential?

People say he still has Cy Young Potential.  Unfortunately I've never seen him pitch.  I'll make it a point to ask around about him.

Struggles happen.  Mr. All World Baseball Bryce Harper is hitting .234.  I'm still holding out hope that Teheran can be our future ace.

Hogz87

Quote from: bsking on April 26, 2012, 12:25:54 am
People say he still has Cy Young Potential.  Unfortunately I've never seen him pitch.  I'll make it a point to ask around about him.

Struggles happen.  Mr. All World Baseball Bryce Harper is hitting .234.  I'm still holding out hope that Teheran can be our future ace.

That's what I was more worried about.  As good as guys like Hanson, Minor, Beachy, and Delgado are and can be in the future, I' not sure any of them can be dominant staff aces like a Kershaw, Halladay, King Felix, etc.  A healthy Hanson on top of his game is really close, though.  I'm hoping Teheran can come in and, at some point, be a dominant #1 starter.

I don't know how it would work financially, but a future staff of Teheran-Hanson-Delgado-Beachy-Minor would be nasty.  And that doesn't even include guys like Medlen and Vizcaino.  Is Viz still projecting as a top of the rotation starter?  If so, then we've still got 7 guys (3 or 4 of which can be top of the rotation starters) for five spots.  I know it's been discussed before, but you'd think we might seriously look to deal a couple of them around the deadline to a "seller" who has a big OF bat we can plug into the lineup. 

gutshot

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 26, 2012, 01:53:37 am
And that doesn't even include guys like Medlen and Vizcaino.  Is Viz still projecting as a top of the rotation starter? 

Man, I hope he comes back as a starter and not a reliever.  What a waste that would be.

As for the right now...Jonny Venters has struck out the last 7 batters he's faced.  And he's done it on 26 pitches.  Holy crap!

bsking

I agree that none of them have shown Cy Yound stuff yet.  But I really think that is due to inefficiency.  Both Hanson and Beachy are in the top 10 in Ks per 9, but they just don't get out of the 6th very much.  I think Hanson has the potential to do that though.

Viz is probably going to be a reliever.  The combination of all of our starters, his effectiveness from the pen, and his surgery now will probably put him in the pen.

As for that rotation, Hanson is FA eligible after 2015 but all the others are at least 2017+.  And I'd look for the Braves to try to lock up Beachy and Minor ar least.  Neither of those guys are super prospects and could probably be had for less money than Delgado, Teheran, and Hanson.

I go back and forth with trading our young pitchers.  I mean crap.  Our ace and our #3 guy are hurt and in AAA and we've taken it in stride.  There may not be a another team that could do that.  If we could get a star shortstop under contract for 3 years+ or a big young bat to play LF I'd consider trading Delgado, Teheran, or Medlen.  Teams just don't want to part with those types of guys though.

gutshot

Man the Evan Gattis story just keeps getting better.  I know he's much older than the competition, but after 4 years out of baseball, drug rehab, halfway houses, clinical depression, and push starting his flippin' truck to get from one place to another, how can you not love what he's doing in Lynchburg?

Now he's absolutely crushing High-A pitching.  I have a feeling he'll see a promotion to Mississippi sooner than later.  Then we'll really get to see if this dude is for real or not.  He's already being tested as a left-fielder, so if he were to make it as a big-leaguer, maybe the Braves could actually find a spot for him.   

bsking

Quote from: gutshot on April 26, 2012, 11:02:48 am
Man the Evan Gattis story just keeps getting better.  I know he's much older than the competition, but after 4 years out of baseball, drug rehab, halfway houses, clinical depression, and push starting his flippin' truck to get from one place to another, how can you not love what he's doing in Lynchburg?

Now he's absolutely crushing High-A pitching.  I have a feeling he'll see a promotion to Mississippi sooner than later.  Then we'll really get to see if this dude is for real or not.  He's already being tested as a left-fielder, so if he were to make it as a big-leaguer, maybe the Braves could actually find a spot for him.   

Kind of Josh Hamilton-esque.  But yeah, and he's old enough that I wouldn't be shocked if the Braves just threw him in the fire up to Gwinnett and see how he responds.  Could be our opening day LF next year if everything goes right for him.