Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Atlanta Braves 2012

Started by bsking, February 06, 2012, 10:58:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirForceHog

I'm heading up to DC this Saturday to see my Braves. Please God don't let them lose.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

bsking

We won a game!

And Minor is still in the rotation... :(

OnTheHillHogFan

Freeman is back in the lineup tonight. Hopefully McCann can get back in the lineup by this weekend.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

OnTheHillHogFan

McCann is in the lineup tonight and hit a 2 run bomb in the first inning.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

bsking

Good to take out the Redbirds.

In other news, looks like it's time to give Andrelton Simmons a shot, his contract has been purchased and he'll be taking Pastornicky's spot on the 25 man.

fantana

Quote from: bsking on May 30, 2012, 11:23:38 pm
Good to take out the Redbirds.

In other news, looks like it's time to give Andrelton Simmons a shot, his contract has been purchased and he'll be taking Pastornicky's spot on the 25 man.

All defence or does he have a stick?

bsking

gutshot

I haven't had a chance to look at them in depth yet, but at first glance, I like what the Braves did in this year's draft.  Seems like they went with more high-ceiling, high-risk talent this year than in the past few.   

And their first 6 picks have already agreed to sign.  I can't wait to start following their progress.

Hogz87

Quote from: bsking on May 31, 2012, 07:42:54 pm
All defense.

He had a really nice play tonight to start a double play and went 2/3 from the plate.  He hasn't been brilliant at the plate or anything (in a very small sample size) but he hasn't been awful either. 

I've been out of the loop for a week or so, what was the deal with Pastornicky?  Just not cutting it?  Or was Simmons playing really well in AA?

gutshot

June 08, 2012, 07:08:26 am #159 Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:12:20 am by gutshot
Quote from: Hogz87 on June 08, 2012, 01:54:01 am
He had a really nice play tonight to start a double play and went 2/3 from the plate.  He hasn't been brilliant at the plate or anything (in a very small sample size) but he hasn't been awful either. 

I've been out of the loop for a week or so, what was the deal with Pastornicky?  Just not cutting it?  Or was Simmons playing really well in AA?

A little bit of both.  AS was hitting .290+ in Mississippi but defense was probably the deciding factor.  I think Fredi or Wren said TP's bat was fine, but they wanted to send him down and get him some time at 2nd base and outfield.  They want to make a utility guy out of him.

OnTheHillHogFan

Also I think by most simmons was thought to be the ss of the future.

bsking

Nicky couldn't field.  And his bat wasn't impressive.  The Braves knew that they had a gold glove caliber guy in AA but he probably wouldn't hit but since Nicky wasn't either whats the harm?  Simmons has looked pretty good at the plate so far though.

Hogz87

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on June 08, 2012, 06:14:45 pm
Also I think by most simmons was thought to be the ss of the future.

I knew that, but I was just surprised they more or less gave up on Pastornicky two months into the season.  He wasn't really doing much at the plate, though, and if Simmons is as good with the glove as we've all been hearing, then it can't really hurt.  I remember some were saying we might as well just make him the opening day SS since he's the SS of the future anyway, and there wasn't a considerable gap between he and Nicky. 

bsking

Teheran starts tomorrow in place of Huddy.

OnTheHillHogFan

Simmons with his first HR today.

Hogz87

How about the season so far...

Start 0-4
Go 26-12 in next 38
Lose 8 in a row
Currently 8-1 in last 9

bsking

Quote from: Hogz87 on June 09, 2012, 06:25:58 pm
How about the season so far...

Start 0-4
Go 26-12 in next 38
Lose 8 in a row
Currently 8-1 in last 9

I'd go out on a limb and label us as a "streaky" team.

fantana

Passed through Atlanta this morning and stopped by the stadium for the first time ever, I was like a kid in s candy store!! Too bad we can't stay for the game cause the women are ready for the beach...

ucahogfan

What do y'all think about the rumors of acquiring Dempster for Delgado?  I like it as we have a ton of young pitching and Dempster will probably make us a lock for the postseason.

bsking

Dempster doesn't want to be a Brave.  I'd pass on him.

fantana

Quote from: bsking on July 24, 2012, 10:53:50 pm
Dempster doesn't want to be a Brave.  I'd pass on him.

Agreed....he wants to play for l.a. from what I hear. Maybe we can pick up zack greinke in a trade?

ucahogfan

Quote from: fantana on July 26, 2012, 07:36:48 pm
Agreed....he wants to play for l.a. from what I hear. Maybe we can pick up zack greinke in a trade?
Would really like to get Greinke in a trade.  His slider is just filthy.  I'm watching the Nats/Brewers game right now, and it sounds like the Brewers want a SS in return.  Maybe we could ship P'nicky and a couple of other prospects for him.

bsking

I'd rather them target Lester, Johnson, and Lee.  All would be more expensive but I just don't like giving up good prospects for 2 months of anybody.

bsking

Big trade for the Braves today.  Malholm and and Reed Johsnon for Vizcaino and Chapman.

Man do I hate loses Viz.  It really, really sucks.  But I have a little feeling that the Braves may know more about his injury situation than we do.

Our new guys fill out our team perfectly though.  This team is going to win the east.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: bsking on July 31, 2012, 12:09:04 am
Big trade for the Braves today.  Malholm and and Reed Johsnon for Vizcaino and Chapman.

Man do I hate loses Viz.  It really, really sucks.  But I have a little feeling that the Braves may know more about his injury situation than we do.

Our new guys fill out our team perfectly though.  This team is going to win the east.
From reading Dave O'brien's article it sounded like the braves only thought Viz could be a reliever. He has a lot of quotes from wren in the article.

Hogz87

Yeah, I think some fans are upset and felt like we gave up too much in Viz, but I'm not sure he ever had a spot in our rotation with Teheran, Beachy, Minor, Delgado, and Hanson; and we couldn't really groom him to be a closer with Kimbrel already on the team.  I can live with losing him.

Maholm isn't a big name flashy pitcher, but he's been very good his last 7 starts and fills a hole in the pitching rotation; and now we have an OFer who can play all three OF positions and someone who can give Bourn a rest from time to time. 

bsking

Yeah, he's probably going to be a reliever, but his stuff is just soooo good.  I hate to lose guys with that type of stuff.  But yeah, we are set on relievers and we filled two vital roles.  Still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth though.

ucahogfan

5th best record in baseball right now.  Ben Sheets is looking like a good sign and Huddy has been throwing well.

ucahogfan

Who do y'all think will be the odd man out when we stop the 6 man rotation on August 30?  I would be leaning towards Minor, but he has been excellent as of late.  I think all 3 of the vets are safe and Hanson, Medlen, and Minor are battling for the last 2 spots.  Like how the writer ends the article saying how Freddi has an embarrasment of riches even without Brandon Beachy who would probably the favorite for the Cy Young had he remained healthy all year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/28088/odd-man-out-in-braves-rotation

OnTheHillHogFan

Medlen or Minor will be left out. No way Hanson doesn't start.

bsking

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on August 16, 2012, 05:53:02 pm
Medlen or Minor will be left out. No way Hanson doesn't start.

I agree.  Medlen will probably sit.  Which sucks because he's been incredible.  The Braves are something like 17-4 in games that he's started in his career.

ucahogfan

Quote from: bsking on August 16, 2012, 08:17:32 pm
I agree.  Medlen will probably sit.  Which sucks because he's been incredible.  The Braves are something like 17-4 in games that he's started in his career.
Well, Medlen made a great case to remain in the rotation as he tossed a shutout against the Padres.  Coming to the realization that whoever is left out will be a stud long reliever for us.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 16, 2012, 09:00:27 pm
Well, Medlen made a great case to remain in the rotation as he tossed a shutout against the Padres.  Coming to the realization that whoever is left out will be a stud long reliever for us.
And chipper had a hell of a night

ucahogfan

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on August 16, 2012, 09:05:26 pm
And chipper had a hell of a night
Yep 2 bombs and an amazing defensive play.  Maybe the Braves should have Chipper Bobblehead Night more often.  Also, he recorded his 2,700th career hit on the 2nd bomb.  Great accomplishment for him.

bsking

I don't think Wren is going to be able to keep Medlen out of the rotation.  In 4 games started this year he has a 1.07 ERA.  Stupid.

bsking

Kris freaking Medlen.  That's it.  Screw wondering if he'll stay in the rotation, I'm beginning to think he should be our WC game starter.

I think Tommy will have an "injury" around August 31 and get shut down.

bsking

Medlen's stats as a starter this year (5 starts):

4-0
0.82 ERA
0.96 WHIP
8.1 K/9

That's pretty good.

ucahogfan

Quote from: bsking on August 22, 2012, 10:33:43 pm
Medlen's stats as a starter this year (5 starts):

4-0
0.82 ERA
0.96 WHIP
8.1 K/9

That's pretty good.
And aren't the Braves like 16-0 in his career starts?  I think he has locked up one of the 5 spots.  I think Sheets, Hanson, and Minor are battling for the last 2 spots although Minor has been the best of the 3 lately.

gutshot

Quote from: bsking on August 22, 2012, 10:26:13 pm
I think Tommy will have an "injury" around August 31 and get shut down.

I was thinking if Sheets gets banged around again like he did last time out, they'll skip his next start and chalk it up to fatigue, lack of spring training, or whatever.  His turn happens to come up right after an off day, so that would work out perfectly.  That would keep everybody going on 5 days rest instead of 6 days the next time through the rotation in the first week of September. By the time of Sheets' return, it would be all hands on deck...balls to the wall. The best 5 starters for the stretch run, or if the 6 man rotation is working out, you've got bullpen help with the September call-ups.   

Hogz87

All-in-all, regardless of what happens tonight against the Giants, this crucial 10 game stretch was a disappointment and a little disheartening.  We win tonight and we finish 4-6, losing 2 of 3 to the Dodgers, 2 of 3 to the Nationals, and slitting 4 with the Giants.  Lose to the Giants, and it's a massive disappointment.  I wanted to see us ride that post-All-Star break hot streak through this 10 game stretch against playoff caliber teams.  A 4-6 or 3-7 record doesn't make me feel good about the postseason if we make it. 

bsking

Quote from: Hogz87 on August 26, 2012, 02:03:22 pm
All-in-all, regardless of what happens tonight against the Giants, this crucial 10 game stretch was a disappointment and a little disheartening.  We win tonight and we finish 4-6, losing 2 of 3 to the Dodgers, 2 of 3 to the Nationals, and slitting 4 with the Giants.  Lose to the Giants, and it's a massive disappointment.  I wanted to see us ride that post-All-Star break hot streak through this 10 game stretch against playoff caliber teams.  A 4-6 or 3-7 record doesn't make me feel good about the postseason if we make it. 

Win the division and we have as good of a shot as anyone in the NL.  Most of the teams that make the WS aren't the best teams in their respective leagues.

Hogz87

Quote from: bsking on August 26, 2012, 08:02:15 pm
Win the division and we have as good of a shot as anyone in the NL.  Most of the teams that make the WS aren't the best teams in their respective leagues.

Right, but we were, what, 6 or 6.5 games back of the Nationals after losing 2 of 3 there with 38 games to go.  That's obviously not insurmountable, and crazier things have been done, but it's still a pretty big hole to dig yourself out of with less than 40 games to go; especially given how good the Nationals have been this year. 

Fortunately, for what feels like the first time all season, we paired a two game win streak with a Nationals two game losing streak, to get back within 4.5 games.  We've got 3 more against them in September and, outside of that, we go back to playing nothing but sub-.500 teams save the 3-game set against the Pirates to close the regular season.

It may just be me, but I want absolutely nothing to do with that Wildcard game.  I want to get in and be guaranteed a best-of-five instead of a do-or-die virtual "play-in" game. 

bsking

Quote from: Hogz87 on August 26, 2012, 10:49:13 pm
Right, but we were, what, 6 or 6.5 games back of the Nationals after losing 2 of 3 there with 38 games to go.  That's obviously not insurmountable, and crazier things have been done, but it's still a pretty big hole to dig yourself out of with less than 40 games to go; especially given how good the Nationals have been this year. 

Fortunately, for what feels like the first time all season, we paired a two game win streak with a Nationals two game losing streak, to get back within 4.5 games.  We've got 3 more against them in September and, outside of that, we go back to playing nothing but sub-.500 teams save the 3-game set against the Pirates to close the regular season.

It may just be me, but I want absolutely nothing to do with that Wildcard game.  I want to get in and be guaranteed a best-of-five instead of a do-or-die virtual "play-in" game. 

Oh I agree.  Baseball isn't meant to be decided by one game.  I'd be scared if we had to play the Astros in that game.  Anyone can lose any given day.

Like you said, our schedule is really favorable from here on.  The Nats are the only team over .500 we play.  If we can take 2/3 from them that weekend, I think we win the division.

Hogz87

August 27, 2012, 01:01:32 pm #193 Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:45:42 pm by Hogz87
Quote from: bsking on August 27, 2012, 10:49:47 am
Oh I agree.  Baseball isn't meant to be decided by one game.  I'd be scared if we had to play the Astros in that game.  Anyone can lose any given day.

Like you said, our schedule is really favorable from here on.  The Nats are the only team over .500 we play.  If we can take 2/3 from them that weekend, I think we win the division.

Yeah, I was going through the schedule before this 10 game stretch against the Dodgers, Nationals, and Giants.  We were 69-49 and, I thought if we could go something like 6-4, there was a decent chance we at least flirted with 100 wins. 

A 6-4 record would've put us at 75-53 with 34 games to go.  Of those 34, the Nationals and Pirates are the only teams with +.500 records.  So that means 28 games against sub-.500 teams.  I thought a 20-8 record in those games was possible and, given how we've been playing, I'd think something like 18-10 or 17-11 would be worst case scenario.  Anyway, go 20-8 (I'm still basing this off the 6-4 premise where we'd be 75-53) and we're sitting at 95-61.  That still leaves the six games against the Pirates and Nationals.

Obviously, going 20-8 in any stretch of games regardless of competition, is no small task.  So, be conservative and use our 73-55 record, and say we go 16-12, that puts us at 89-67.  Then, say we split those six with the Nationals and Pirates, that puts us at 92-70.  I'd think even 92 wins is enough to guarantee one of the two wildcard spots, but I'm not sure it's enough to win the division.  I'd think we need to go something like 18-10 or 19-9 in the 28 sub-.500 games, so even a 3-3 split with the Nationals and Pirates would put us at 94-95 wins.     

bsking

ucahogfan

Quote from: bsking on August 28, 2012, 11:29:11 pm
Kris Medlen.
Is it possible for him to start every game the rest of the season?  He has a scoreless streak of 28.1 innings right now and we have won his last 17 starts.

Concering the rotation, I feel like Hudson, Minor, Medlen, and Malholm have locked up spots while Sheets and Hanson are battling for the last spot.

bsking

Here is an interesting thought.  I'm not saying I think it will happen or even agree with it but here it is.

Let's say he somehow stays on this unhuman pace.  Lets say he finishes 12-1 with a sub 1.5 ERA, sub 1 WHIP, and 7+ k/9.

Could he win the Cy Young?  Felix won it with a 13-12 record much worse ERA and WHIP.  Of course he'll have thrown 100 more innings than Medlen.

ucahogfan

Another Kris Medlen start, another win.  Great CG against the Rockies, but he did give up an unearned run.  Even though we have a tremendous ace in Huddy, I want Medlen starting a possible wild card showdown as we haven't lost one of his starts since like May of 2010 and there isn't anyone in baseball throwing as well as he has the last month.

bsking

Medlen got roughed up today.  I mean, 5 hits AND an unearned run.  Come on Kris, I expect better.

gutshot

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 03, 2012, 03:11:01 pm
Another Kris Medlen start, another win.  Great CG against the Rockies, but he did give up an unearned run.  Even though we have a tremendous ace in Huddy, I want Medlen starting a possible wild card showdown as we haven't lost one of his starts since like May of 2010 and there isn't anyone in baseball throwing as well as he has the last month.

Fredi has three more off days to work with to get the rotation how he wants in for October.  Without putting Ben Sheets back into the equation, here are a few options:

A) As it stands right now, if they stay with a five man rotation and nobody gets skipped, Hudson would be on schedule for the first playoff game.  Medlen, Hanson, and Minor would get the Washington Series. 

B) If Hanson lays an egg tonight and/or on the 9th, he could skip his start against Washington on the 15th.  That would give the Braves Medlen, Minor, and Hudson in that Washington series.  Maholm would then be the first playoff man.

C) Skip Hanson on the 15th and then again against Miami on the 26th, and that gives you Medlen in the first playoff game. 

With this Uggla move, I think Fredi has shown that it's time to brush egos and pride aside and try to make a real push for the playoffs.  I don't know if he will skip Hanson twice, but after seeing it with his boy Uggla, it wouldn't suprise me at all.