Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benintendi

Started by philiphog, April 22, 2017, 08:31:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

Benny has turned me into an MLB baseball fan. Something I thought I'd never say.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Hogs run wild

Any chance he get rookie of the year with judge slumping?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

navyhog24

Quote from: Hogs run wild on August 14, 2017, 12:34:30 pm

I think Judge would really have to tank the rest of the season to not get Rookie of the year and the dude is probably ahead in the MVP race outside of Jose Altuve.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogs run wild on August 14, 2017, 12:34:30 pm

Judge was handed RofTY by the all star break.  Unfortunately, AB could hit .500 the rest of the year and he isnt getting it over Judge in New York

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: navyhog24 on August 14, 2017, 12:54:18 pm
I think Judge would really have to tank the rest of the season to not get Rookie of the year and the dude is probably ahead in the MVP race outside of Jose Altuve.
Judge is well on the way to doing this.

JHicks3636

Benintendi just popped a 419 footer against the Indians in a make-up game. 1-2 in the game thus far. 8 game hitting streak.

Hogs49ers

This is incredible!  I was checking Ebay and the prices of his baseball cards have basically tripled in the last week or so.
SCREW Vandy!

hoglady

Judge would have to really, really tank the rest of year for any one else to have a chance.
Those 35 home runs will win it for him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TebowHater

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 14, 2017, 06:18:36 pm
Benintendi just popped a 419 footer against the Indians in a make-up game. 1-2 in the game thus far. 8 game hitting streak.

Unbelievable. Homered in 3 of last 4 games.

Hogwop

Quote from: Hogs49ers on August 14, 2017, 07:11:38 pm
This is incredible!  I was checking Ebay and the prices of his baseball cards have basically tripled in the last week or so.

Aw dude you aren't gonna sell it are you? If so hit me up, like I said, that card would look great on my man cave wall.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Hogwop on August 14, 2017, 08:30:41 pm
Aw dude you aren't gonna sell it are you? If so hit me up, like I said, that card would look great on my man cave wall.

No, I do not think I will ever sell it man!  However, if I do, I will reach out to you first.
SCREW Vandy!

Hogwop

Quote from: Hogs49ers on August 15, 2017, 02:19:12 am
No, I do not think I will ever sell it man!  However, if I do, I will reach out to you first.

Haha that's what I like to hear, that you're keeping it, I mean.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.

311Hog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on August 14, 2017, 06:40:37 am
Benny has turned me into an MLB baseball fan. Something I thought I'd never say.

i have to agree i hadn't paid much attention to MLB in years, Benny ball has changed all that.

JHicks3636

Singled and scored in the 1st tonight to extend his hitting streak to 9 games.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 15, 2017, 06:42:35 pm
Singled and scored in the 1st tonight to extend his hitting streak to 9 games.

Thanks - I just turned over to the game.
I was thinking it started at 7.
Was wondering what he did in his at bat.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

JHicks3636

August 15, 2017, 08:13:54 pm #165 Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:16:39 pm by JHicks3636
Benintendi was 1-3 with a HBP and 2 runs scored through 5 innings. He was subbed for in the 6th. I assume it was to get some rest as the BoSox was leading 9-0 at the time. He had made the last out in the bottom of the 5th when the fielder made a diving catch on his liner to left.

TebowHater

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 15, 2017, 08:13:54 pm
Benintendi was 1-3 with a walk and 2 runs scored through 5 innings. He was subbed for in the 6th. I assume it was to get some rest as the BoSox was leading 9-0 at the time. He had made the last out in the bottom of the 5th when the fielder made a diving catch on his liner to left.

FWIW, he was also hit in the knee that inning which may have played a role. He went on to score and come up to bat again as they batted around the order, so it was probably just for precautionary ice with the game in hand, but worth noting.

JHicks3636

Quote from: TebowHater on August 15, 2017, 09:16:52 pm
FWIW, he was also hit in the knee that inning which may have played a role. He went on to score and come up to bat again as they batted around the order, so it was probably just for precautionary ice with the game in hand, but worth noting.

The post game report said it was precautionary due to being hit. He is hoping to play tomorrow.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 15, 2017, 11:17:51 pm
The post game report said it was precautionary due to being hit. He is hoping to play tomorrow.
Good, this kid is playing at an All-Star level right now. WooPig!!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

JHicks3636

Benintendi will be in tonight's line-up batting 3rd and playing left.

Hogwop

Quote from: 311Hog on August 15, 2017, 09:41:43 am
i have to agree i hadn't paid much attention to MLB in years, Benny ball has changed all that.

This, in a nutshell. It's nice to finally have a former Hog that looks like he could be a superstar
Pigga what?!

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 16, 2017, 03:04:53 pm
Benintendi will be in tonight's line-up batting 3rd and playing left.

That's great news - thanks for posting.
Came to this thread just to see if he was playing tonight.

PharmacistHog

Heck his greatest feat this year is getting me to cheer for the damn red sox. Talk about a miracle.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

snf6278

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 16, 2017, 05:43:26 pm
Heck his greatest feat this year is getting me to cheer for the damn red sox. Talk about a miracle.
Same here. Never thought I'd cheer for any Red Sox player. He now has his tenth straight game with a hit.

PintailKiller

1/3 with a bb so far tonight vs the Cards.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

JHicks3636

Finishes 1-3 with a walk. In the on-deck circle when Mookie Betts hits a 2 out, full count double to drive in 2 runs and give the Red Sox a 5-4 walkoff win.

hoglady

Quote from: snf6278 on August 16, 2017, 08:11:34 pm
Same here. Never thought I'd cheer for any Red Sox player. He now has his tenth straight game with a hit.

I was so excited when he went the Red Sox - I felt like a kid at Christmas.
Then to play left field - Yaz is my favorite all time player. Well that was just too much to ask.
If he ever goes and plays for them damn Yankees I will be heartbroken.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 16, 2017, 09:50:37 pm
Finishes 1-3 with a walk. In the on-deck circle when Mookie Betts hits a 2 out, full count double to drive in 2 runs and give the Red Sox a 5-4 walkoff win.

Make no mistake about it, Betts got better pitches to hit, especially on the 3-2 count because Beni was in the on deck circle.  he contributes in a lot of ways, that happens when you are hot.  the Yankees pitched around him as much as they could and he still hit well against them.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

JHicks3636

Benintendi and the Sox take today off as they prepare to face the Yankees in a 3-game series starting tomorrow at Fenway. Although I agree that Judge would be the Rookie of the Year if the season ended today, I don't think it is a done deal considering the rest of the season. In these head to head games, Benintendi needs to outperform Judge. He needs to raise his average to around .290 which is doable and finish with a better average than Judge. You hope voters take into account the bad with the good. Along with those homers, last night Judge set the MLB record for a position player by striking out in his 33rd straight game. One of those dubious records you don't want to break.

sickboy

Someone tell me what the Bo Sox need for Beninetendi. I want to dream that my Dodgers would trade for Beniball.

Wisco Pig

August 17, 2017, 08:22:42 pm #180 Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:33:50 pm by Wisco Pig
Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 17, 2017, 11:21:22 am
Although I agree that Judge would be the Rookie of the Year if the season ended today, I don't think it is a done deal considering the rest of the season.

The situation would have to change dramatically for Benintendi to take the award away from Judge.  I love Benintendi and dislike the Yankees, like all right-thinking Americans, but as NavyHog said above, Judge is a good choice for MVP at this point, in addition to being Rookie of the Year -- he leads the AL in runs scored, walks, home runs, slugging percentage, and OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage).  He's second in the league in on-base percentage and 3rd in WAR (wins above replacement).

The weird thing about Judge's numbers is that while he strikes out far too much, as JHicks pointed out, he also draws a large number of walks and has a high on-base percentage.   In fact, he could lead the league this year in all three categories.   I sent the Elias Sports Bureau an e-mail and asked if anyone has ever accomplished that feat.  If they reply, I'll let you know  -- I'm sure you're all dying to find out.   ;)

ETA: If I had a vote for AL MVP, it would go to Altuve.

TexArkHogFan

He is facing two lefties right off the bat. Montgomery and Sabathia.  He hit a HR off a lefty just recently so maybe that will give him more confidence.  They have been sitting him against lefties, so if he plays maybe a couple of hits will erase that stigma.  He is on about a ten game hitting streak, so to me it would be hard to sit him just because he is facing a lefty.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

onebadrubi

Quote from: sickboy on August 17, 2017, 03:13:18 pm
Someone tell me what the Bo Sox need for Beninetendi. I want to dream that my Dodgers would trade for Beniball.

Kershaw, JT, and Gonzalex.

Headhog32

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 18, 2017, 10:51:57 am
Kershaw, JT, and Gonzalex.
I dont see them getting rid of Kershaw

TexArkHogFan

He ain't going nowhere.  With him,  Bradley and Betts, the Red Sox are set in their outfield for the foreseeable future.   All three can hit and play outstanding defense. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Hogs49ers

I am angry and am pouting because I cannot watch this game right now.  Screw MLB network.
SCREW Vandy!

JHicks3636

August 18, 2017, 09:34:49 pm #186 Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:45:20 pm by JHicks3636
Started 0-3 but had an rbi single in the 7th to extend his hitting streak to 11 games. Game still underway. Ended up taking over an hour to play only the 7th inning as both teams scored 4 runs each.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 18, 2017, 09:34:49 pm
Started 0-3 but had an rbi single in the 7th to extend his hitting streak to 11 games. Game still underway. Ended up taking over an hour to play only the 7th inning as both teams scored 4 runs each.

AB made an outstanding diving catch on a ball slicing away. Fully stretched out landing on his belly. It was pretty.

Sox won 9-6.

hoglady

When the ad ran touting the Sox game Monday night against Cleveland it said "Watch Benintendi and the Red Sox take on the Indians Monday night."

JHicks3636

Benintendi will be playing left and batting 3rd tonight as the Red Sox host the Yankees in game 2 of a 3-game series. Benintendi will be looking to extend his hitting streak to a dozen games. It will be a tough challenge for him as he faces veteran left-hander CC Sabathia. In two previous appearances against Sabathia he is 0-6.

JHicks3636

August 20, 2017, 12:59:27 pm #190 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:09:36 pm by JHicks3636
Benintendi wears the collar last night to end his hit streak at 11 games. Singles in his first at bat today to begin a new one. Benintendi now 2-5 on the game and probably won't bat again. Judge for the Yankees looked as though he might end his consecutive game strikeout streak but he fanned to end the 8th inning to keep it alive. Now sits at 37 straight games with at least one K. He keeps adding to his MLB record.

hoglady

Red Sox will be on TV again tomorrow night against Cleveland.
That will be 4 days in a row - I'm in heaven.

JHicks3636

August 21, 2017, 06:15:37 pm #192 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:55:35 pm by JHicks3636
2-run homer in his first at-bat tonight in the 1st inning. Singles to center in his second at-bat.

hawgmasta

Quote from: snf6278 on August 16, 2017, 08:11:34 pm

A lot of truth; I have given up watching baseball almost entirely except for the hogs.

Definitely never thought I would be a Red Sox fan but I am now. . Kinda.

nesjunk

At the All-Star break, Beni had no chance at the AL ROTY with Aaron Judge smacking homers for the most storied program in MLB.  If we roll back through this thread, I'm sure we can find someone saying that it was out of Beni's hands and none of his feats would be sufficient to garner the coveted award.  Instead, the leader would need to tank - and tank hard.  And tank he has.

Judge is batting .176 since the break, and, of course, he set an MLB record for the most consecutive games with at least one strikeout.  His overall performance for the year still merits the award, but there are still 30 games left.  If the Bronx Bombers fails to make the post-season - they are a mere 2 games from falling behind in the wild card race with a TON of teams within striking distance - and Judge continues to perform at this level, it is likely voters will remember his swoon more than his MVP-worthy performance of the 1st half.

Of course, Benintendi cannot afford his own swoon, and the BoSox need to close the deal on the AL East, but things are trending his way at the moment.  Beni has gone from no chance to "so you're saying there's a chance" to MacGregor chance  to within reason.  He is poised to pass Judge in overall batting average soon, he's superior in the field, and he will finish with more than 20 stolen bases this season.  That 20 HR gap is a GIANT obstacle, so a couple of walk-offs and some more highlight reel catches would help.  What you couldn't say at the All-Star break, you can say now, Beni can win this, and he can do it on his own.  But he needs to get hot.

And this is more than just an optimistic Hog fan's opinion, there's a new article at ESPN this morning singing the same tune:

http://es.pn/2wLqvlo

This could be really fun to watch.

hoglady

Quote from: nesjunk on August 31, 2017, 09:16:26 am
At the All-Star break, Beni had no chance at the AL ROTY with Aaron Judge smacking homers for the most storied program in MLB.  If we roll back through this thread, I'm sure we can find someone saying that it was out of Beni's hands and none of his feats would be sufficient to garner the coveted award.  Instead, the leader would need to tank - and tank hard.  And tank he has.

Judge is batting .176 since the break, and, of course, he set an MLB record for the most consecutive games with at least one strikeout.  His overall performance for the year still merits the award, but there are still 30 games left.  If the Bronx Bombers fails to make the post-season - they are a mere 2 games from falling behind in the wild card race with a TON of teams within striking distance - and Judge continues to perform at this level, it is likely voters will remember his swoon more than his MVP-worthy performance of the 1st half.

Of course, Benintendi cannot afford his own swoon, and the BoSox need to close the deal on the AL East, but things are trending his way at the moment.  Beni has gone from no chance to "so you're saying there's a chance" to MacGregor chance  to within reason.  He is poised to pass Judge in overall batting average soon, he's superior in the field, and he will finish with more than 20 stolen bases this season.  That 20 HR gap is a GIANT obstacle, so a couple of walk-offs and some more highlight reel catches would help.  What you couldn't say at the All-Star break, you can say now, Beni can win this, and he can do it on his own.  But he needs to get hot.

And this is more than just an optimistic Hog fan's opinion, there's a new article at ESPN this morning singing the same tune:

http://es.pn/2wLqvlo

This could be really fun to watch.

And the head to head starts tonight.
4 game series in New York - should be fun.
Labor Day - Hog football, college football - and the best rivalry in baseball.
Go Red Sox!!!

hoglady

Andrew having another good game.
2/3 with a single and just now absolutely crushed a homer.

Sox up 3-1 / middle of the 5th.

nesjunk

For the series, AB got on base in 9 of 13 appearances.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hoglady on September 01, 2017, 07:45:09 pm
Andrew having another good game.
2/3 with a single and just now absolutely crushed a homer.

Sox up 3-1 / middle of the 5th.

BENINTENDI OWNS NEW YORK

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-20545778

Todays solo shot ties the record for most HRs by a Boston player hit at either Yankees stadium, 5 HRs in 8 games.
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

So I have continued to buy a few packs of baseball cards here and there to go after Benintendi rookie cards and pulled this amazing card a few days ago!!  As you can see on the top right of the card, it is numbered out of 25!

SCREW Vandy!