Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Southwest Christian- National Champion

Started by southwesthawg, February 27, 2017, 06:27:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

southwesthawg

Southwest Christian (Little Rock) won the NACA (National Association of Christian Athletes) National Championship.  They beat Mtn. Mission in the Championship game 54-44.  The tournament included Hamilton Heights, Our Savior, Potters House, Wesley, Riverdale, and West Oaks. 

Charles Baker is the Head Coach.

Their Roster included:
Chol Adup 6-3 Australia
Jon Illiya 6-7 Nigeria
Miykah Mcintosh 5-11 Canada
Matthew Davies 6-5 Canada
Daniel Shakur 6-5 Canada
Emir Ahmedic 6-9 Bosnia
Gabe Osabuohien 6-8 Canada
JJ Brown 6-4 Canada
Avery Benson 6-4 Arkansas
Nikola Jerotic 6-7 Serbia
Mladen Armus 6-10 Serbia
Cole Anderson 6-7 Arkansas

Hogs run wild

they have some serious talent at this school.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: southwesthawg on February 27, 2017, 06:27:39 pm
Southwest Christian (Little Rock) won the NACA (National Association of Christian Athletes) National Championship.  They beat Mtn. Mission in the Championship game 54-44.  The tournament included Hamilton Heights, Our Savior, Potters House, Wesley, Riverdale, and West Oaks. 

Their Roster included:
Chol Adup 6-3 Australia
Jon Illiya 6-7 Nigeria
Daniel Shakur 6-5 Canada
Emir Ahmedic 6-9 Bosnia
JJ Brown 6-4 Canada
Mladen Armus 6-10 Serbia

Hamilton Heights, West Oaks, and Southwest Christian (34-2) have all been ranked in MaxPreps Indpendent Schools Top 10 this season, and I expect SWChristian to be back in that poll this week after winning the NACA natty. Potters House beat Reggie Perry and his Thomasville (GA) team earlier in the season, and SCA beat Potters House handily in the NACA quarterfinals.

Mladen Armus won MVP in the NACA national tourney, and he's been a double-double machine since mid-way point in the season. I saw SCA play Hamilton Heights at the Hotbed Classic in MS last month. Unblievable talent on the floor in that game. Shai Alexander who is headed to Kentucky, his cousin who is headed to VaTech. Gabe and Mladen both played well in that game, both had double-doubles. HH beat SCA by 12, 84-72, that night.

The_Iceman

Aren't we looking at one of their big men?

navyhog24

nwahogfan1

Quote from: southwesthawg on February 27, 2017, 06:27:39 pm

Their Roster included:
Chol Adup 6-3 Australia
Jon Illiya 6-7 Nigeria
Daniel Shakur 6-5 Canada
Emir Ahmedic 6-9 Bosnia
JJ Brown 6-4 Canada
Mladen Armus 6-10 Serbia

I want to hire their recruiting coordinator?   LOL.   I hope Mike is looking very closely at some of those Bigs for our team for next year.  They have more size than most college teams and maybe more talent.

Congratulations of a great finish.

Kevin McPherson

The_Iceman

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 28, 2017, 08:33:39 am
Yes...Gabe Osabuohien and Mladen Armus

https://youtu.be/zztbb82z6zM

Can Gabe play the 5? Is Armus a better fit for us as a backup 5 to Gafford?

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/834882760888168448

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/825528667099000832

I looked up Almus's videos on Twitter, and he reminds me a lot of Trey Thompson. Big kid, good passer, wide body.

Hawg Red

I'm on record liking Armus for the 4th scholarship for 2017.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 28, 2017, 10:37:29 am
I'm on record liking Armus for the 4th scholarship for 2017.

Wouldn't be a bad choice at all. One year to develop, then backing up Gafford in 2018-2019. Solid 6'10" with good skills.

If Trey fits our system, then he will too.

Razorod

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 28, 2017, 10:52:16 am
Wouldn't be a bad choice at all. One year to develop, then backing up Gafford in 2018-2019. Solid 6'10" with good skills.

If Trey fits our system, then he will too.
I do think we'll need to be patient. But, we have that luxury next year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

NoogaHog

But if we can get that 6-7 Serbian it would be borderline...

Jerotic 8)
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

southwesthawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 28, 2017, 10:31:53 am

Can Gabe play the 5? Is Armus a better fit for us as a backup 5 to Gafford?

I looked up Almus's videos on Twitter, and he reminds me a lot of Trey Thompson. Big kid, good passer, wide body.

Gabe is not a five. 

Armus has great hands.  Like most Europeans he can pull up an hit jumpers, unlike most Europeans he can also play with his back to the goal.  HE would be a great get for the Hogs.

Their other Big man (Emir Ahmedic) is a banger, bruiser type big man but he has already signed with Oral Roberts.

Whoever ends up with their guard Avery Benson will get a steal.  Ginobili type player.

Hogs run wild

Mike Anderson out at SCA today scouting.

Kevin McPherson

NWAHog479

Who do they play though? And how would they do against Mills or Parkview?

LRrazorback

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 29, 2017, 08:26:12 am
Who do they play though? And how would they do against Mills or Parkview?

Best team in the state. Jonesboro might give them a run, but these guys aren't here for the great educational opportunities found at SCA

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: LRrazorback on March 29, 2017, 08:42:01 am
Best team in the state. Jonesboro might give them a run, but these guys aren't here for the great educational opportunities found at SCA

I think 4 teams could hang with SCA ... Jonesboro, Mills, Parkview, and possibly El Dorado (with Charles Manning, who was not with the team during district or state playoffs).

SCA has so much size, depth, and talent -- the Lions would be the favorites in any match-up against AR teams.

However, if you could put Gafford on Jonesboro, Mills, or Parkview, then I think it changes everything.

chiti66

I like Zaire's game a lot and feel that he could definitely help the team, but IMHO (I know, who cares), I would much rather we sign this kid.  Nice size, good hands and appears to be "athletic" enough.  A year in the system, we would have a pretty nice front court in 2018, with Gafford, Armus, Perry, Henderson, Hazen.  Then we could move Adrio down to the 3, where I think he would excel.   In CMA, I trust!

Hawg Red

Quote from: chiti66 on March 29, 2017, 12:46:00 pm
I like Zaire's game a lot and feel that he could definitely help the team, but IMHO (I know, who cares), I would much rather we sign this kid.  Nice size, good hands and appears to be "athletic" enough.  A year in the system, we would have a pretty nice front court in 2018, with Gafford, Armus, Perry, Henderson, Hazen.  Then we could move Adrio down to the 3, where I think he would excel.   In CMA, I trust!

Zhaire Smith and Armus are my top two choices for the final scholarship (among the players that we are actually recruiting). Armus, I think, would pay big dividends by his junior year. But Smith is a stud and I'd favor him in terms of priority right now.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 29, 2017, 12:54:25 pm
Zhaire Smith and Armus are my top two choices for the final scholarship (among the players that we are actually recruiting). Armus, I think, would pay big dividends by his junior year. But Smith is a stud and I'd favor him in terms of priority right now.

Another name to keep an eye on here is Gabe Osabuohien, the 6-7 combo forward at SCA by way of Toronto. Members of the Hogs staff love his motor and versatility, and he's probably a better system fit than Armus, although how many 'tweener combo-4s can Arkansas live with while having only 2 true bigs (Thompson and Gafford)?

Gabe sometimes seemed disinterested when SCA played lower-level competition, but when they played Hamilton Heights, you could see his intensity level and focus go up, and against that team loaded with talent, size, and athleticism, Gabe had 21 points and 13 rebounds. Next to Kentucky commit Shai Alexander, Gabe looked like the 2nd-best player on the floor in a game that had at least 10 high-major prospects. Armus had a double-double in that game and looked good, too.

hawkhawg

I would love to get Armus. We need a true big man.

HossHog

Quote from: chiti66 on March 29, 2017, 12:46:00 pm
The staff is already in the process of moving Bailey to the 3. But he played inside in highschool so he does not have the skill set yet.

Hogs run wild

word is, that after this senior class @ SCA leaves, the next class is even more stacked.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HossHog on March 29, 2017, 03:05:28 pm
The staff is already in the process of moving Bailey to the 3. But he played inside in highschool so he does not have the skill set yet.

A 3 at Arkansas for Mike Anderson has to be able to knock down the three pointer. Bailey has not shown that. He has a long way to go to get there. Plus, his ball handling is not 3 quality either.

Bailey is a 4 for us.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 29, 2017, 08:38:55 pm
A 3 at Arkansas for Mike Anderson has to be able to knock down the three pointer. Bailey has not shown that. He has a long way to go to get there. Plus, his ball handling is not 3 quality either.

Bailey is a 4 for us.

I agree that it's unlikey Bailey will develop into a 3 with how far off his shot and ballhandling appear to be at this point. Defensively, I do think he is a 3, though.

rzrbackramsfan

Laugh at me but I want us to get Connor vanover.  Develop him mike.

HossHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 29, 2017, 08:38:55 pm

Bailey is a 4 for us.
When I said "moving" I meant they are in the process of developing him and his skills. I read in an article on Whole Hog I think that they readjusted his shot when he got to campus so he is still working on his shot and handles. Should be up to par by the time he's a junior if he works hard.

pigture perfect

When I officiated basketball, I did a few of their games. 18-21 ago. They were pretty bad. Glad to see them doing well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 29, 2017, 09:37:02 pm
I agree that it's unlikey Bailey will develop into a 3 with how far off his shot and ballhandling appear to be at this point. Defensively, I do think he is a 3, though.
Playing Bailey and Hazen along side a 5 would work very well IMO.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Rawker

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 29, 2017, 10:43:32 pm
Laugh at me but I want us to get Connor vanover.  Develop him mike.

Consider yourself laughed at.

I wish the kid well though.

NWAHog479

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 29, 2017, 01:14:44 pm
Another name to keep an eye on here is Gabe Osabuohien, the 6-7 combo forward at SCA by way of Toronto. Members of the Hogs staff love his motor and versatility, and he's probably a better system fit than Armus, although how many 'tweener combo-4s can Arkansas live with while having only 2 true bigs (Thompson and Gafford)?

Gabe sometimes seemed disinterested when SCA played lower-level competition, but when they played Hamilton Heights, you could see his intensity level and focus go up, and against that team loaded with talent, size, and athleticism, Gabe had 21 points and 13 rebounds. Next to Kentucky commit Shai Alexander, Gabe looked like the 2nd-best player on the floor in a game that had at least 10 high-major prospects. Armus had a double-double in that game and looked good, too.

How good do you think the Benson kid is? I saw him play when he was at Harber and I liked his game back then and he obviously got better down there against better talent than the 7A West.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 30, 2017, 11:16:28 am
How good do you think the Benson kid is? I saw him play when he was at Harber and I liked his game back then and he obviously got better down there against better talent than the 7A West.

He's a good player. I watched him with the Wings before covering him at SW Christian Academy. He's a no-doubt low-to-mid major who has drawn high-major interest, so hoping he finds the best fit for him. Likable young man.

southwesthawg

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 30, 2017, 11:16:28 am

Benson was the heart of this team.  He is a gamer.  Like i said earlier he is a Ginobli type player (Plays hard, good Defense, can shoot from anywhere, great at getting to the rim, very fiery and passionate player)  Whoever ends up with him will get a steal.